• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deaf New Jersey woman sues Taco Bell over drive-thru orders

Status
Not open for further replies.

NateDrake

No idea on colorblind accommodations, but if it affects you in a big way then others would see the reasoning behind it

What about voice chat from online multiplayer FPS games? Titanfall and Overwatch have text based chat interface on PC's but consoles don't even though PS4 and X1 have keyboard input support, the games just disables it (probably for reasons involving console limitations) I just dont understand why it's a big issue to disable it for consoles, would be nice to know the reasoning behind it

Played Destiny and it was a nightmare trying to find groups for raid back then without being able to use a microphone

I've always wondered if ADA has a play in this or not
A small percentage of games do have a colorblind mode, but the majority don't. In-game radar and stuff can be a problem. Games should have options to accommodate the player within reason - text based chat interface should be an option & colorblind mode should as well. I guess companies don't feel the effort is worth it.

Speaking as someone that has attempted it due to communication issues? I know it's not as easy at TV makes it seem (it takes years or practice). But that isn't what we're getting at. It's 2016, there's smart-phones out there. There's self-serve stations out there. You're telling me you can't put the ability to self-order on fast-food drive-through? Either by interconnecting an app ("There's an app for that!™") or otherwise?

Deaf folks were one of the first non-Business people to pick up smart-phones or phones with keyboards for the sake of easier communcation. You're telling me you can't make an application that interconnects with a local franchisee like Dominos and Pizza Hut has done for call-in orders already?

That's all well and good, but it isn't at all what the post I quoted said and what you said "exactly" to. My point stands.

A small percentage of games do have a colorblind mode, but the majority don't. In-game radar and stuff can be a problem. Games should have options to accommodate the player within reason - text based chat interface should be an option & colorblind mode should as well. I guess companies don't feel the effort is worth it.

As an example (and mainly as an artifact of Bungie's style of options suites), Halo titles generally don't have very many accessibility options in that regard. Members of the Halo community with disabilities bring it up a lot how half of Halo's characters (most of which are fan favorites) are positive examples of disabled representation, but it's juxtaposed by Halo having a lack of support for disabled individuals. As of Halo 5 we finally got separate sliders for ingame audio as well as some technical settings for player aiming, so hopefully it improves in the future.

bryehn

I really don't get it. Go inside or use the app. There are plenty of options for ordering the food. Deaf or not, this feels like suing for suing sake. Murica!

Can deaf people actually drive? Serious question honestly...

The fuck?

Deaf shouldn't be driving.

It is fascinating how easy it is to operate a high energy device in this country.

Yeah I don't get it either, they can't hear sirens or horns. I know in most states it's illegal to drive with head phones/head buds in because it can be distracting, but if you can't hear, you can't hear disability or your own choice.

The other thing I don't understand is how you can drive a 30 foot long RV with a regular drivers license with no CDL or anything.

thedan001

Deaf driver, I've been driving for 13 years, no accidents.

sure, I can't hear if people honk or sirens go off, I still can see and observe all traffic situations

Deaf people use their eyes moreso since we depend on our sight, it translates to high sight awareness while driving

Yes, deaf people drive fine, we can get married and have kids, we can write and read. Just can't hear

If it wasn't safe for deaf people to drive, the government wouldn't issue drivers licenses to the deaf

sure, I can't hear if people honk or sirens go off, I still can see and observe all traffic situations

Deaf people use their eyes moreso since we depend on our sight, it translates to high awareness while driving.

Yes, deaf people drive fine, we can get married and have kids, we can write and read. Just can't hear.

I'm glad that you got into it, because I really didn't have the perspective to adequately point out how strange a hill they've chosen

Deaf people use their eyes moreso since we depend on our sight, it translates to high awareness while driving.

Yes, deaf people drive fine, we can get married and have kids, we can write and read. Just can't hear.
Yep. I know a deaf guy who makes his living delivering food by bike for all the new app-based services. Makes thousands a month, has a great time, hasn't had any trouble with anyone.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

"But how do deaf people have sex though!? I mean they can't hear her orgasming right!?" Most of GAF obviously has never met a disabled person before judging by some of the stupid comments in this thread.

Gallbaro

Banned

I will say this, as driving is a privilege and not a right I would be very interested to see if any studies exist.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I will say this, as driving is a privilege and not a right I would be very interested to see if any studies exist.

Quick Google Search for you

The 2006 ruling didn’t specifically address the safety records of deaf drivers. But according to a 2008 evidence report conducted by the nonprofit ECRI Institute, there’s no proof that drivers with hearing loss pose more risk than their hearing counterparts. When you consider how factors like focus, speed, and experience — none of which rely on hearing ability — contribute to driver safety, these findings make sense.

Kas

So, TB has a strict polich where we can't things through the window, except for cash, no exceptions.

It's also a bullshit rule. Case by case basis and all that.

As for suing Taco Bell, that's just silly.

So, TB has a strict polich where we can't things through the window, except for cash, no exceptions.

It's the only way to end discriminatory actions by Taco Bell.

Then they should change their "strict policy" if it is preventing them from serving disabled customers.

There are. Deaf drivers are by far safer than most. Even large warehouses will hire the deaf for forklift driving and such because they can operate the machinary better than a hearing person. It's not done on a large scale, so the deaf still have to overcome a lot of bigotry of the corporate world.

When you lose one of your five senses permenantly or long period of time, the other senses become heightened. They've done studies of the blind using their own version of echo location to avoid objects while walking.

Deaf and blind have spent a lifwtime of adapting to the hearing world. They may not experience it the same way the rest of the world does, but their not oblivious to life. They probably better at overcoming obstacles than the majoeity because they've always had to adapt to the hearing and seeing world.

Petition the corporate offices, petitions, social media calls to action. A lawsuit just seems a little too preemptive.

The difference between what you outlined and a lawsuit is that petitions/social media/etc. are not guarantees. After all, there's really no obligation on the corporation's end as they can just go "lol" and delete the file/ignore the petition/etc. Furthermore, you need momentum in social media which may not always be available. Whereas a lawsuit means precedence and something that is readily enforceable if another restaurant in another case happens to be as ignorant as Taco Bell was. Granted, a lawsuit isn't a guarantee either, but assuming she's telling the truth and has all the evidence on her side, a successful lawsuit would allow her, myself, and many other deaf people to be granted the same services, and corporations cannot ignore that shit or else they'd be breaking the law.

Kas

The difference between what you outlined and a lawsuit is that petitions/social media/etc. are not guarantees. After all, there's really no obligation on the corporation's end as they can just go "lol" and delete the file/ignore the petition/etc. Furthermore, you need momentum in social media which may not always be available. Whereas a lawsuit means precedence and something that is readily enforceable if another restaurant in another case happens to be as ignorant as Taco Bell was. Granted, a lawsuit isn't a guarantee either, but assuming she's telling the truth and has all the evidence on her side, a successful lawsuit would allow her, myself, and many other deaf people to be granted the same services, and corporations cannot ignore that shit or else they'd be breaking the law.
Alright, this helps put it into a different light. Thanks.

Petition the corporate offices, petitions, social media calls to action. A lawsuit just seems a little too preemptive.

A lawsuit is effective. Petitions and social media justice are not as effective. If you want to do those things (I also noted that you padded your examples of alternatives by essentially saying "petition" twice), be my guest. It shouldn't be the impetus of a person discriminated against to be expected to do more for potentially less.

A lawsuit is effective. Petitions and social media justice are not as effective. If you want to do those things (I also noted that you padded your examples of alternatives by essentially saying "petition" twice), be my guest. It shouldn't be the impetus of a person discriminated against to be expected to do more for potentially less.

I think the problem is that too many people associate lawsuits with people being greedy or money hungry. Using the courts is an absolute viable and effective way to create change in instances like this. It's why they exist. This is not a situation where someone is abusing the system.

Edit: Exhibit A below

How will she get her big damages payout through social media and petitions?

How will she enforce the ADA through social media and petitions?

Seriously, you would do well to read the thread. She can't force them to change without suing for compensation, and it's the most effective means by which to enforce the ADA.

Rue

Deaf people use their eyes moreso since we depend on our sight, it translates to high sight awareness while driving

Yes, deaf people drive fine, we can get married and have kids, we can write and read. Just can't hear

If it wasn't safe for deaf people to drive, the government wouldn't issue drivers licenses to the deaf

Yeah, the fact that people are defending Taco Bell here is.. absolutely insane. Deaf people use their other senses far more due to the lack of hearing.

I've got two deaf parents, had deaf friends, and also lived in a community where there were an abundance of deaf people. Honestly, they probably drive far better than any hearing people from my personal experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom