• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dealing with friends and hard drugs

-Gozer-

I bet Snakes & Ladders was banned as well?

Sliding down snakes is a fast-track to debauchery.

200.gif

*snorts fatty*

Listen. Its like. If people can handle their shit then you should just let them handle their shit. If they cant handle their shit then it could become a problem. If you dont want to do it then dont do it. If you are not comfortable around it then that is perfectly fine. Let them know. They will probably just skip the invite next time. Its a lot like alcohol that way. You can drink a few drinks and feel aight and call it a night but for some people they have to spend hundreds of dollars until they cant stand straight. But nobody wants judging eyes coming over and judging them every time they have a beer. Same with yayo. You can grab a half G and just have a couple to straighten ya out every little bit or you can go balls out and grab a ball and stay up for 2 nights straight and get all sketched out and talk about crazy personal shit all night and then go to bed wondering when your heart is going to explode. There are more dangers involved because you usually dont know what its cut with unless it comes from a trusted source but adults can be adults and make their own decisions. I just would never want to give someone their first line or encourage starting it because most people are probably better off never doing it but if you've been doing it for a while and you are not robbing and stealing from people and blowing your rent money on the shit then there is nothing wrong with it.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Repost now things have lightened up a bit. Please watch, it's the UK's finest bit of satire and my personal funniest programme ever.

Brass Eye - Drugs

Skip to 38 seconds to get underway and discover more about drugs than you ever thought you knew.

Nosgotham

i wouldnt freak over someone doing coke. i wouldn't want to be around them when they did it though. most people dont ruin their lives by recreationally snorting coke.

if they start free basing or shooting it up or doing crack, meth etc.... run away and dont look back. thats my two cents.

ive seen it all and theres a big difference between those recereationally doing a little here abd there and those willing to do anything for a fix

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
For context Brass Eye is Chris Morris, who Charlie Brooker worked with but Morris was far more near the knuckle and brutal when needed. Some people from Spaced were regulars with him as well.

Brass Eye got him banned from Channel 4 when they cut a musical about the Yorkshire Ripper so he inserted 'Michael Grade is a cunt' into the show for 1/50th of a second and it was aired.

He came back later and did the infamous Paedogeddon episode which made fools of both the media and the Government who didn't know how to react nor understand it.

Later came Four Lions. Basically the man's a genius and nearly all of what he's done is still relevant today. It's spectacularly well-observed.

Magus1234

i wouldnt freak over someone doing coke. i wouldn't want to be around them when they did it though. most people dont ruin their lives by recreationally snorting coke.

if they start free basing or shooting it up or doing crack, meth etc.... run away and dont look back. thats my two cents.

ive seen it all and theres a big difference between those recereationally doing a little here abd there and those willing to do anything for a fix

Yup, coke is like bottom of the rung hard drug. You can do coke at a party and no one would even know, but when people started getting into pills or what this guy said then get out 100%

DavidDesu

I am not "beating anyone up" but I don't want to be around, have no intrest in it and will not hang out with people who do it. None of my friends or family drink but 1 beer fine, getting drunk is not ok and again not something I want to be around.

If someone wants to do drugs fine its their life but they are not someone I will hang out with. I also do not go to parties where people do drugs.

You also said you want coke more, that's addiction.

I said I would like to do it again/more often. What you said is like saying to someone who's been on a rollercoaster and said they'd like to go again that they're addicted to rollercoasters now. That's a bit of a reach. Nothing wrong with you disliking drugs and alcohol but I do think you take a really extremely negative view on it that will be to your detriment some day when you lose a good friend who's done nothing wrong and is in complete control of their life. Just be a bit less judgemental and jumping to the extreme scale of thinking everyone's a coke fiend and addict.

Goldboy

Tons of people I know do coke every now and then. It can become a problem but for most people it's an infrequent thing and no big deal.

Hydrus

I know what you feel like OP. One of my best friends became a full blown Heroin addict and nearly died a few times. Even tried to kill himself. Right out of high school started doing coke, moved onto lsd, acid, etc... until he landed on heroin at the age of 19. It completely destroyed him. Brain is fried, face is messed up, scars all over his arms, personality is nothing like the out-going friend I grew up with. And the whole time there was nothing I could do. He went to rehab, jail, lived on the streets, everything bad you name it. How he's still alive, I'll never know.

I really don't have any advice for you OP. Only thing I can say is do your best to stop others from doing drugs. My friend tried everything to get the people around us to join him. Couple of friends did, and they also ruined there lives.

Yeah, this is pretty much my feeling. My initial feelings were a pretty harsh reaction, but that's because of the drugs friends of mine have gotten tied up in who did cocaine. And since the friends I mentioned in the OP talked a bit about doing other stuff, I don't know exactly what they're into. This is another side to them I hadn't seen or ever been told about. Mostly I'm just scared for them. I don't want them to just fucking vanish into some crazy world.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
(not presented as medical advice, or legal advice, or condoning illegal activity or recreational drug use in any way)

Interesting that Ecstasy is separated from other amphetamines on that chart. I guess I get why they do it, given the culture around MDMA, but it is a bit odd, technically speaking.

No, it's really not odd, technically speaking. They have completely different mechanisms of action in your body targeting totally different receptors, have totally distinct subjective effects (one's a straightforward CNS stimulant and the other has unique hallucinogenic and empathic properties), and amphetamines are not neurotoxic at therapeutic doses while MDMA directly damages serotonin receptors. They also have different abuse potential: while amphetamines are not neurotoxic at prescription doses and are safely prescribed to millions of ADHD kids, they can be readily abused at much higher recreational doses to get high and, though tolerance does build rapidly, can still be abused daily in similar fashion to meth abuse. On the other hand, while MDMA is directly neurotoxic, since it does not hit dopamine (read: addiction factor) substantially and requires a very long recovery interval in order to recover the serotonin receptors that all go supernova at once when taken, it's not a high risk for compulsive use/dependence since there's minimal physical craving and, being able to evaluate rationally in absence of a physical compulsion, you're just burning out your serotonin receptors all over again (or worse) but without feeling good from it if you don't wait a long time between uses. So it's a strange character in that it's directly harmful but has some built-in deterrents to abuse that can mitigate risk factors.*

Anyway, while they belong to the same chemical family, amphetamines and MDMA are not in the same class of drug for the aforementioned reasons and others. Radically different. If they're siblings then they're Cersei and Tyrion. Chemistry is a little more complicated than "it has methamphetamine right there in the name therefore _____." Laid out very thoroughly right on Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDMA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphetamine

*However, it should absolutely be noted that MDMA is a street drug, and can and often does potentially include all sorts of harmful unknown adulterants or even outright substitutions with MDA, speed, meth, research chems, etc., so, much like with cocaine, users rarely know what they're actually putting into their body. For example, apparently cocaine in the United States has been increasingly adulterated with levamisole to the point where it's found in almost 100% of what's currently circulating. It's there as a cheap cutting agent that can amplify the high, but is a medication intended to be used to treat parasitic infection -- yeah -- and can cause necrosis and outbreaks of papules all over your body or kill you outright. Not really what you want to be railing to party hard.

Point being, that's something no one should overlook when making personal decisions about recreational substance use: do you actually know what you're putting in your body? Some dangerous adulterants won't show up through typical reagent testing kits, or necessarily get removed by any "washing" procedures intended to remove adulterants either, so you need to factor in the very real risk of whatever random poisonous shit might be in there on top of the acknowledged risks of what you assume you're taking. I think someone earlier in the thread mentioned that over in Canada people are dropping dead now from coke being laced with fucking fentanyl, jesus christ, which Canadian drug dealers seem to have a real hard-on for, as fentanyl is reportedly killing at least three people at day by inadvertent OD in British Columbia alone (typically sold as heroin or prescription opoid pills) and very easily a "poof, you're dead" outcome on the spot if there's just a tiny bit too much in there; too potent to measure accurately or safely outside of a medical setting, but too appealingly cheap to not be increasingly widespread as an undisclosed proxy for more expensive opioids in demand from the giant opioid epidemic in progress, so truckloads of people are dying at random right now.

It happened to *Prince*, even. Reportedly he thought he was taking vicodin that was actually a street pressed fentanyl substitution that randomly had a lethal dose of fent in there. Tragic outcomes from random adulterants or cost-cutting substitutions can absolutely happen to anyone. Stay safe and be mindful of the full extent of the risk factors.

The Mule

Nah, he doesn't owe them anything and he can judge all he wants.

These are adults, they made the choice and they'll have to deal with the consequences of their actions and he as an adult can judge their decisions.

Of course anyone can do anything they like. However, some things that people may choose to do are more useful and productive than others.

Mendrox

Thanks Evilore for that informative post. I heard that about fentanyl too. Crazy that dealers dont give a shit if they kill someone or rather sad that they dont know that they have stuff mixed with it.

Top Bottom