• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dealing with friends and hard drugs

Eh, cannabis isn't as bad as cocaine but it definitely can exacerbate underlying mental health issues. It's not anecdotal. Ive worked in both mental health and substance misuse and the correlation is way to High to be ignored.

Not to mention it was one of they key contributors in bringing out a member of my families schizophrenia. That's not to say cannabis will give you a mental health issue, no but it can bring one out that you were never aware of.

Im not against cannabis use at all. I use it every now and again but I feel like regulation is the first step to legalisation. Especially knowing the culture in the UK.

I should probably go into more detail. The links between schizophrenia and cannabis go a bit deeper. People who have schizophrenia are more predisposed to actually trying cannabis as a coping mechanism. The links are undeniable.

EDIT: However, of course some of what ive said is anecdotal and I do not believe for a second that cannabis is a cause for mental health issues. Merely a contributing factor to bringing out peoples already underlying issues. There was a cross sectional study that corroborates this in the UK. i believe the NHS has written about the study somewhere. It was carried out by kings college in London. Would link but on phone but you can search it and it should come up.

Either way. Im all for drug use and giving people the right to choose. I'd be a hypocrite to say otherwise given my experimentation and heavy use in the past but it unnerves me how so many young people will jump straight to the idea that cannabis has no ramifications for anybody (not saying that this is anyone on Gaf).

It's more of the UK'S attitude to drugs that I'm concerned with. The government has too much of a conservative view whilst papers like to promote scare mongering. At the same time though many university students are on the opposite end of that instigating somewhat misinformed and almost juvenile perspectives on the world of psychoactives. Im not sure the UK is mature enough to handle legalisation which sounds elitist of me I'm sure but my experiences working in such a field does have me concerned. If it were to be legalised, regulation would have to be handled extremely well. I think I'm pro legalisation though because again, people are too naive when it comes to taking Street drugs. Especially with harder stuff.

Cocaine is a rough one. I know a couple people who do it on and off, but it can be pretty hard to watch someone spiral down that hole.

I'd suggest confronting them about it and telling them that coke makes you uncomfortable. They should take that pretty alright. Now if they start doing smack, don't back off and let them ruin themselves, take it upon yourself to refer them to a rehab clinic or somewhere to detox. The best cure for heavy drug abuse is some human kindness and care. Not a fucking gavel and bars.

Ensirius

Cocaine has ruined the life of a very close person in my life.
I have never had any interest in doing cocaine before, and even less so now.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Eh, cannabis isn't as bad as cocaine but it definitely can exacerbate underlying mental health issues. It's not anecdotal. Ive worked in both mental health and substance misuse and the correlation is way to High to be ignored.

Not to mention it was one of they key contributors in bringing out a member of my families schizophrenia. That's not to say cannabis will give you a mental health issue, no but it can bring one out that you were never aware of.

Im not against cannabis use at all. I use it every now and again but I feel like regulation is the first step to legalisation. Especially knowing the culture in the UK.

It has to be the other way round I think really. It needs to be legalised to be controlled and regulated, and making the whole case strongly is the only (very slim) way to get it through now. After we ignored the regulation part completely before.

Post-Mephedrone it's a complete mess, that was the one shot at starting the debate on it all and radically changing drug policy as the Government's advisory committee had unequivocally recommended.

Sadly there was an election looming, tabloid scare stories, and that was the end of that.

hungry_man

Neo Member
Lol... lightweight.

Seriously though, it's the addiction factor. People can get seriously physically addicted to cocaine. Weed? It's a mental addiction and easy to quit if you want to. Truthfully if we do any drug too much not we're going to be able to function at all.

Cocaine is not physically addictive. Can someone develop serious psychological addiction to the substance? Sure, but it is not physically addictive. You could argue weed has more physical consequences following extended, daily usage. Whenever I go on a tolerance break I find It takes me a while to go to sleep for a couple days. Not exactly the most extreme physical withdrawal but definitely a symptom.

MsKrisp

Cocaine is not physically addictive. Can someone develop serious psychological addiction to the substance? Sure, but it is not physically addictive. You could argue weed has more physical consequences following extended, daily usage. Whenever I go on a tolerance break I find It takes me a while to go to sleep for a couple days. Not exactly the most extreme physical withdrawal but definitely a symptom.

What? Cocaine is much more strongly psychologically addictive, but it is also physically addictive. You will not get addicted to it as fast as crack, and you will not experience withdrawal symptoms the same way as other drugs such as heroin and alcohol.

http://www.dependency.net/learn/cocaine/

Regular users of cocaine may find they quickly become tolerant to the euphoric effects of the drug. This means it will take more and more cocaine to produce the same feelings. An increased use of the drug is usually a solid indication that a person is suffering from cocaine dependence. Physical dependence occurs when a person begins to rely on the drug to properly function. This type of dependence is also characterized by an intense craving for cocaine, fatigue and an increase in appetite.

If a person addicted to cocaine suddenly stops taking it, they will almost certainly begin to experience withdrawal symptoms. The most common symptoms suffered by people during their withdrawal from cocaine are severe cravings, lack of energy, anxiety and unexplained angry outbursts. Depending on the severity of the addiction, the physical withdrawal symptoms can last a relatively short length of time.

The Mule

I'll judge all the fuck I want.
Your entitled attitude isn't going to be helpful to anyone, except to make you feel better. Do you want to be a friend to these people or just sit in your ivory tower feeling superior?

Until their behaviour and attitude changes negatively as a result of the drugs, you have no reason to judge them. If things start turning sour, try to help them. If they reject your help, distance yourself. Until then, hop down off that high horse. I've known a few people who have recreationally done the drugs you mentioned, and they moved past that phase of their life without any serious problems. They've gone on to get married, start a family, and create a productive/fulfilling life for themselves.

Also, you need to realise that drug abuse is rarely the catalyst of problems, it's symptomatic of other, more deeply rooted problems in peoples' lives. Perhaps you might try to find out what has lead them to start doing these drugs? I think it's misguided to blame the drugs themselves.

It has to be the other way round I think really. It needs to be legalised to be controlled and regulated, and making the whole case strongly is the only (very slim) way to get it through now. After we ignored the regulation part completely before.

Post-Mephedrone it's a complete mess, that was the one shot at starting the debate on it all and radically changing drug policy as the Government's advisory committee had unequivocally recommended.

Sadly there was an election looming, tabloid scare stories, and that was the end of that.

You're probably right on that one. Im just spouting thoughts at the moment. It's a tricky one though but it would be interesting to see how the UK handles it. Especially when we have such an issue with binge drinking as it is.

And yeah, its more of a pipe dream here anyway with the way the government is at the moment.

Also, you need to realise that drug abuse is rarely the catalyst of problems, it's symptomatic of other, more deeply rooted problems in peoples' lives. Perhaps you might try to find out what has lead them to start doing these drugs? I think it's misguided to blame the drugs themselves.

Well put, agreed 100%

Fred-87

That's fair. I won't push them away, but I got some pretty strong cues that this wasn't irregular. And why should it be? Coke is not typically what you'd just dabble with here and there.

Going to sleep. Will respond when I wake up later.

I would stop being friends with them. I dont have time or energy to deal with people who use that. But its your choise ofcourse.

Your entitled attitude isn't going to be helpful to anyone, except to make you feel better. Do you want to be a friend to these people or just sit in your ivory tower feeling superior?

Until their behaviour and attitude changes negatively as a result of the drugs, you have no reason to judge them. If things start turning sour, try to help them. If they reject your help, distance yourself. Until then, hop down off that high horse. I've known a few people who have recreationally done the drugs you mentioned, and they moved past that phase of their life without any serious problems. They've gone on to get married, start a family, and create a productive/fulfilling life for themselves.

Nah, he doesn't owe them anything and he can judge all he wants.

These are adults, they made the choice and they'll have to deal with the consequences of their actions and he as an adult can judge their decisions.

You can also eat it. Probably drink it too. It's not recreationally legal here so I'm not privy to the creativity yet.

Funny enough, if making edibles, different strains can actually impart different flavors into the cannabutter, leading do differently flavored edibles. If you use a strain that's very pine-y or citrus-y you'll end up with that flavor in your brownies.

Nah, he doesn't owe them anything and he can judge all he wants.

These are adults, they made the choice and they'll have to deal with the consequences of their actions and he as an adult can judge their decisions.

He can judge all he wants, sure. But I think it's a mistake to not bring it up to his friends, to post on a forum about it, and more importantly to jump to extremes.

I've done coke 5 or 6 times in my life, the first time about 6 years ago. So that's once a year, average. I would hate for one of my friends to have witnessed me taking a line one of those nights and suddenly resent me and stop being my friend without even having brought it up, suddenly labeling me as weak or an addict or whatever.

Shredderi

What's with the "don't judge" thing that's become really popular lately? Of course you judge people. People judge everything and everyone all the time. It's very useful too.

If you don't want to do coke, don't do coke. If you can't maintain the friendship without doing drugs you don't want to do then go ahead and move on. If you don't want to be in the same room when people are doing coke that's your right, too.

OP is really concerned about his friend doing drugs and I see a defense force for drug users more so then I see advice on how he should deal with the situation.

While the potential for addiction is there, for most people cocaine is simply a party drug, i certainly wouldn't class it as a hard drug

From my own (annecdotal obviously) experience i see a much higher proportion of drinkers are alcoholics than cocaine users are addicts

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
What's with the "don't judge" thing that's become really popular lately? Of course you judge people. People judge everything and everyone all the time. It's very useful too.

Well I wouldn't judge something if I had limited knowledge or experience of it. I might draw the wrong conclusions and that would make me a bad judge.

In those instances I'd try to learn more, to draw the right conclusion and that would determine not only how I saw something but also if I needed to do anything about it.

The less black and white you think about things the more consideration you have for things and people in general. And that tends to help a lot.

Drugs will affect people differently. Just because you know people who ruined their lives with coke, doesn't mean the same will happen to others.

You say you can't see them in the same light because people you know fucked their lives up with coke, yet you were fine with you and them drinking.

Alcohol fucked my life up. Like, seriously fucked it up, to the point where I have to get medical tests done every 6 months for the rest of my life, even though I've been sober for 4 years.

I don't judge people who drink though. I don't see people taking shots and think to myself "what happens in the next couple years? I've personally experienced what can happen".

So, I would just chill out about it unless you see it actually becoming a problem for them.

I can see what you mean. I hope it stays casual to them. I really do.

It's pretty common, your friends aren't bad people.

Oh, I know they're not bad people. I do care about them; the thought of either of them potentially fucking up their lives did hit me a little hard when I made this thread.

It's less that I feel morally superior to them or whatever and more that it scares me. To some degree this thread has reassured me to some extent that not everyone is going to end up like my one other friend.

The problem with that other friend was that I could almost start to tell when things were starting to go bad, but he and everyone else around him thought things were fine. He started lying about things. A lot. He went from being what most people would think of as a straight shooter to someone who lies like they have a personality disorder. Maybe cocaine isn't the worst, etc. My friends last night were discussing the whole spectrum of different drugs they've done/do. I didn't say anything, but internally I couldn't help think about that friend, who got hooked on more than cocaine. Cocaine just so happened to be what was done right in front of me. So, yeah, I do worry. Maybe something could be going on with them...maybe not.

I think I will just thank my one friend for having me over, etc., and to offer to always be there to listen. I don't want to shut them out, even if my immediate reaction last night was to almost run off.

Wvrs

You're playing into the social stigma. Hard drugs aren't necessarily evil, I think my first bump of charlie was over six years ago and it's still a very rare thing for me, only taken when it's a huge night out and we want to drink until the wee hours of the morning.

I've taken other hard drugs too. Admittedly less and less as I get older, but it hasn't stopped me from graduating University near the top of my classes, or being a decent person. I'm not shaking down old ladies for my next hit.

Lighten up, let your friends gauge for themselves what they should and shouldn't be doing in life.

Rien

Jelly Belly
You judge cocaine but your okay with alcohol? The latter is far much worst imo and is the most hardcore drugs i ever used.

Also worth mentioning that cocaine is just a pretty crap drug to take. I've taken it a bunch of times and each time I feel like it was a waste of money. Maybe I've just been getting crap coke but I'm always left wishing I'd got some weed or acid instead.

You judge cocaine but your okay with alcohol? The latter is far much worst imo and is the most hardcore drugs i ever used.

Having known some alcoholics, sure, it produces a lot of addicts. Do you think if cocaine was legal and more affordable we'd be seeing the same ratio of addicts?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Also worth mentioning that cocaine is just a pretty crap drug to take. I've taken it a bunch of times and each time I feel like it was a waste of money. Maybe I've just been getting crap coke but I'm always left wishing I'd got some weed or acid instead.

Never done much for me either.

MDMA is where it's at, although I liked it's sister Mephedrone which is loved up plus focussed like amphetamines.

That was good shit, the UK was happy as Larry until the banhammer came down. Mephedrone really clicked with me, and a lot of the people I knew.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
It's not recreationally legal here so I'm not privy to the creativity yet.

Yeah, me either. Sometimes I wish that recreational drugs were available everywhere at any time of the day, but then I remember that they're not and I get sad.

"Did weed"?

You don't do it, you smoke it.

Notacop_8b83b0_4272599.png

I do coke occasionally, it's fun for a boost at a party etc. I used to think it was an awful drug until I did it and realised it's actually nowhere near as bad as it's portrayed, and actually very common. It does depend on your personality, I don't have an addictive personality so I deal with it well but if someone does probably best to stay away.

You shouldn't judge someone just cause they're doing something like that but if it is negatively affecting them or others then you should probably bring it up.

Until then live and let live.

sojour

Seems like most people who defend cocaine are often former/current cocaine users. But that makes sense, with experience and all that.

OP: Honestly, you can only hope for the best for them and be there for them as you are now. But if push come to shove, remove yourself from a situation that you are uncomfortable with, as you are more important to yourself than they are to you.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Having known some alcoholics, sure, it produces a lot of addicts. Do you think if cocaine was legal and more affordable we'd be seeing the same numbers of addicts?

From my own perspective? I am quite sure that alcohol is one of the big gateway drug to cocaine. At least in my surroundings.
If there's a hard drug that should be put on leashes and being treated like tobacco it should be alcohol.

Edit:

Cleared out my opinion a bit more

For every privileged asshole who uses coke, I won't post the violence you are financing because I'd get banned. But not only you are fucking yourselves up, you are destroying the lives of millions. But hey, keep wearing your whitewashed Pablo Escobar shirts and complain about Trump on Twitter while ignoring the consequences of your actions.

Haha! DECK'ARD getting monster trucked into a corner is the best thing about this thread.

Also why do people do coke? Always mixed with like 90% dentist tranquilizers. Some good speed is longer lasting and more economical.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Haha! DECK'ARD getting monster trucked into a corner is the best thing about this thread.

Also why do people do coke? Always mixed with like 90% dentist tranquilizers. Some good speed is longer lasting and more economical.

Glad I could provide some entertainment, and legal!

Never done much for me either.

MDMA is where it's at, although I liked it's sister Mephedrone which is loved up plus focussed like amphetamines.

That was good shit, the UK was happy as Larry until the banhammer came down. Mephedrone really clicked with me, and a lot of the people I knew.

I never touched mcat til after it became illegal, I generally thought i'd rather buy proper illegal drugs, eventually tried it in 2012 and eally quite liked it, annoyingly though decent quality stuff seemed to completely disappear about 12 months ago

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I never touched mcat til after it became illegal, I generally thought i'd rather buy proper illegal drugs, eventually tried it in 2012 and eally quite liked it, annoyingly though decent quality stuff seemed to completely disappear about 12 months ago

Once the ban came in and they started playing around with it it was easier to cook up something new and throw that at the market. Rapidly entering headfuck territory unlike Mephedrone, and in tiny quantities compared to that. Do it as you were doing things before and you'd blow your head clean off.

When Mephedrone was legal, cheap and pure it really was amazing. First time was just this warm glow going through me, we nicknamed it Ready Brek :)

And like MDMA it really opens your eyes to how much nicer people can be by just a little chemical change. It makes you reevaluate yourself in the process.

Good times.

Once the ban came in and they started playing around with it it was easier to cook up something new and throw that at the market. Rapidly entering headfuck territory unlike Mephedrone, and in tiny quantities compared to that. Do it as you were doing things before and you'd blow your head clean off.

When Mephedrone was legal, cheap and pure it really was amazing. First time was just this warm glow going through me, we nicknamed it Ready Brek :)

And like MDMA it really opens your eyes to how much nicer people can be by just a little chemical change. It makes you reevaluate yourself in the process.

Good times.

according to friends who had been connoisseurs of it before the ban the stuff we could get was as good as the pre ban stuff though there was a tonne of crap floating about too, unfortunately nowadays the only stuff around makes the crap from a year or 2 ago look like the best stuff ever

Seirith

I personally would have gotten up and left, I have no interest in people who have friends over and then casually do a line of coke. I don't do drugs and am not going to be friends with people who do either.

Also, love all the drug users defending it like its no big deal. LOL

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
according to friends who had been connoisseurs of it before the ban the stuff we could get was as good as the pre ban stuff though there was a tonne of crap floating about too, unfortunately nowadays the only stuff around makes the crap from a year or 2 ago look like the best stuff ever

It was designed as the ultimate party drug, and I tend to agree.

But we can't have that, like we can't have raves in fields, or warehouse parties. Degenerates the lot of us.

OG Kush

Good times.

How does Mephedrone compare to MDMA? I've only done MDMA, live in the UK as well but missed the mephedrone phase. You're perking my interest...

Some very close minded people in this thread. Is it really hard to fathom that people casually take drugs? I'm talking every 2/3 months. I feel like people don't understand how the real world works. Yes we full time jobs, and live a mature and professional life. I'm not promoting it, but I just think you shouldn't just people for it. One line of coke isn't going to send you in a spiral. And once again, I feel if you are going to judge someone for coke use, you should judge them for alcohol use as well.

Apt101

It depends. If there's clearly a problem say something. Plenty of people can "handle their shit" in moderation, but many cannot. It's almost always apparent when it's being destructive to a person.

The one drug I will always do something about is opiates.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
How does Mephedrone compare to MDMA? I've only done MDMA.

Some very close minded people in this thread.

The way I'd describe it is MDMA + amphetamines. You're very loved up but very with it at the same time.

You can stay up as long as you want, which you obviously have to watch, or if being loved up made you feel a bit creative you could just set to work on a drawing, some music, or anything and you'd focus on it until it was perfect. Saw some very cool shit done on it.

As good for staying in as going out, a fascinating drug really.

I personally would have gotten up and left, I have no interest in people who have friends over and then casually do a line of coke. I don't do drugs and am not going to be friends with people who do either.

Also, love all the drug users defending it like its no big deal. LOL

It's not a big deal though. I'd also bet that you're friends or at least acquaintances with a bunch of people who do or did do drugs.

Truant

How does Mephedrone compare to MDMA? I've only done MDMA.

Some very close minded people in this thread.

It's very fair to have an aversion towards drugs if you've seen abuse up close, especially with friends and family. I completely understand it, even though I'm open minded myself.

Personally, the only drug damage in my circle of friends has been weed and alcohol. Anxiety, depression, passivity towards life. None of the people I know have had problems with coke or MDMA, even though they use it from time to time.

Abuse is abuse, you can fuck up your life on pretty much anything - legal or illegal.

Top Bottom