• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When does losing a pet get easier?

its been a long week.. A few years ago my mom got my daughter a hamster. Weve had a patchy relationship.. Her mother convinced her she was trans and that i didnt accept her. She had some really rocky few years before coming back to live with me and start to repair things(and realizing she wasnt). He was an emotional support hamster at its finest. Docile and playfull, would eat in your hand, or even fall asleep. It helped us re-bond and build our relationship back. I never would have thought getting a hamster would have such a positive effect and in turn make myself so attached. i had one at a young age but barely remember.

eye infection, Tooth problems, Blindness and then deffness.. now he is seemingly in his final hours, can barely move, cant really lift his head. that emense pain that you want to do something but you know you cant.. how the fuck do people manage this? i feel broken

bender

What time is it?
mfu47i6hlpib1.jpg

YCoCg

You just pull yourself through it, it sucks, it'll hurt but the best you can do for any pet is to make sure they're comfy and known they're loved as they pass. As long as you know you've gave it the best life you could, your pet knows too.

Nok Su Kow

It does, eventually the bad memories although still painful if focused on lose their hold and you can remember the good memories the silly things they'd do etc

Give it some time and then get another it really helped me (it was a cat but pretty sure hamsters work the same)

Mistake

That sounds pretty rough. I don't have the best advice for loss, but it helps a lot more when you're there to say goodbye. As for everything else you wrote, I'm glad you were able to get through to your daughter. Being genuine with people you care about brings them around eventually

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Jesus CHRIST another thread where I can't stop laughing.

"The Tale of the trans daughter and the emotional support hamster".

I love all animals but a hamster is much like a goldfish: it costs less to replace it than to feed it.

Except Rentahamster Rentahamster ❤️

I did have an albino hamster when I was 12 and he lived to 5 years old because I jacked him full of vitamins.
At night he would climb the bars of his cage like he was on Ninja Warrior.
One morning he just seized up.
I took him in our backyard, covered him with a cloth then bashed his head with a shovel and buried him.

Of course I was sad.

But OP you have seen nothing yet 😊

Jesus CHRIST another thread where I can't stop laughing.

"The Tale of the trans daughter and the emotional support hamster".

I love all animals but a hamster is much like a goldfish: it costs less to replace it than to feed it.

Except Rentahamster Rentahamster ❤️

I did have an albino hamster when I was 12 and he lived to 5 years old because I jacked him full of vitamins.
At night he would climb the bars of his cage like he was on Ninja Warrior.
One morning he just seized up.
I took him in our backyard, covered him with a cloth then bashed his head with a shovel and buried him.

Of course I was sad.

But OP you have seen nothing yet 😊
Fuck off. you can form an emotional bond with any pet.

I'm just saying you're setting yourself up for a lifetime of grief & therapy if you're broken over a dead hamster.

Now I will excuse myself and fuck off.
ive had loss before.. im not fully sure why this is hitting me so hard. Perhaps its part of the journey i have been on and being unable to do anything. Animals can take a very special place in our lives.

wondermega

We are nearly a year into cat ownership in this house, it's a little unsettling how attached I've become (especially considering WFH). They are just 13-month old kitties so hopefully we will have them for awhile. I can already tell I'll be a goddamn wreck whenever that horrible time comes, don't like to dwell on it. I'm glad they are here though!

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
We had a great dog, golden retreiver mix named Sampson who lived 14 years. Died I guess around 8 years ago.

At one point my sister made him a page on facebook so his sweet photo pops up once a year around his birthday. I always post on his page saying that I miss him and it makes me smile.

Here he is when he was already pretty old

189508_100635110022659_5841799_n.jpg

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
So let me get this straight. The woman you smashed who had a child with you tried to groom your kid into believing they were FtM? Fuck the Hamster, it lived a blissful life in ignorance compared to that shit.

Jayjayhd34

life is full of misery and pain the only time it get easier is when we close our eyes and well theres nothing its just like never being born. There's reason why hhe majority of world population choose scammble there minds and most respected people go on die on uppers downers because they realise how meaningless are existence is. One day this planet will gone and chances not single creature will know what happened on this planet.

So let me get this straight. The woman you smashed who had a child with you tried to groom your kid into believing they were FtM? Fuck the Hamster, it lived a blissful life in ignorance compared to that shit.
Yea that tale could be for another day. It got to the point my x tried to get puberty blockers and needed my signature. Its a hell i dont wish on anyone

I was lucky i managed to play my cards right and stall until she moved back with me. Once back without any prompting she asked if it was okay to switch back to girl.

Phase

The bond forged with pets is often just as strong as with human family. It's natural to feel substantial loss for someone or a pet you spent time with and cared for. What I try to do is thank them for the good times spent together and the love and joy they brought to my life. And then it's easier to let go.

However short, you both made each other's lives better. It's good to think of it that way.

jonnyp

Thank you everyone. Helped to get it out. I think the process of seeing him lose his senses and strength is what has done me in.

This is not a criticism Roll, but it sounds to me you should probably have euthanized him before he got to this stage/state?

Losing a pet really does suck, and making the decision to euthanize is of course extremely difficult, but seeing them suffer is even worse IMO, as it seems you're finding out.

You mourn, you treasure the memories and then you get a new pet. But I'm glad the little fella helped mend a lot of things with your daughter and your relationship.

This is not a criticism Roll, but it sounds to me you should probably have euthanized him before he got to this stage/state?

Losing a pet really does suck, and making the decision to euthanize is of course extremely difficult, but seeing them suffer is even worse IMO, as it seems you're finding out.

You mourn, you treasure the memories and then you get a new pet. But I'm glad the little fella helped mend a lot of things with your daughter and your relationship.
Vet wanted 180 bucks for the final deed. after already spending that on antibiotics, eye drops, pain meds it was hard. I was going to today is he hadnt last night.

Fuck this economy, food prices and housing prices

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
its been a long week.. A few years ago my mom got my daughter a hamster. Weve had a patchy relationship.. Her mother convinced her she was trans and that i didnt accept her. She had some really rocky few years before coming back to live with me and start to repair things(and realizing she wasnt). He was an emotional support hamster at its finest. Docile and playfull, would eat in your hand, or even fall asleep. It helped us re-bond and build our relationship back. I never would have thought getting a hamster would have such a positive effect and in turn make myself so attached. i had one at a young age but barely remember.

eye infection, Tooth problems, Blindness and then deffness.. now he is seemingly in his final hours, can barely move, cant really lift his head. that emense pain that you want to do something but you know you cant.. how the fuck do people manage this? i feel broken
Is this real? I can't tell anymore

We're talking about a fucking hamster here am I right? And you're a grown ass man?

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
The type of animal shouldn't matter whenever there's a deep emotional investment and connection involved in my opinion. Not going to give any examples having read some of the responses.

I only have a few years at best left with my cat which I lived pretty much in solitary with for 13 years.

I've been through it a couple times. With a rat as well. Losing someone you love is never easy whether it be a hamster or a dog.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
The type of animal shouldn't matter whenever there's a deep emotional investment and connection involved in my opinion. Not going to give any examples having read some of the responses.

I only have a few years at best left with my cat which I lived pretty much in solitary with for 13 years.

I've been through it a couple times. With a rat as well. Losing someone you love is never easy whether it be a hamster or a dog.
It's a fucking hamster

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It could be any animal, it's the symbolism that is clearly causing the grief here. No different than if someone crashed my deceased father's truck. It's just a truck sure, but what it symbolized is the point. Not sure how this is being glossed over...

The context of the relationship plays a huge part as well. But yeah seeing those responses it's not worth giving examples. Not worth my energy.

Esca

It never really gets easier. My suggestion is didn't wait to long but a little while and get another one. You aren't replacing the pet you live but it will help you out greatly. That's my experience after my first two dogs passed after when they were 18/19 y years old but only had one at a time. I currently have 2 dogs and will continue to have dogs the rest of my life. Your pet completes you. Don't wait so long to get another, it is a world of difference having one in your life.

I wish you the best op and my heart is with you.

Top Bottom