• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does losing a pet hit so hard?

Duellist

So many egotistical people putting their animals down. I'll see myself out before I get banned.
Actually no, I wanna know what drives you to such an ignorant insensitive comment like this? You fucking think we wanted to put him down??? You think my 18 year old daughter that has had him since she was 4 wanted to put him down???? You think my 21 year old son wanted to put him down??? Fuck you, he was suffering and we couldn’t take him hurting anymore. He was full of tumours that caused his belly to be swell up with fluid. He laid in one spot for 2 days, wouldn’t eat couldn’t get up to walk and was suffering. We had to carry him to the vet on a fucking blanket You fucking twat.

Last edited:
Actually no, I wanna know what drives you to such an ignorant insensitive comment like this? You fucking think we wanted to put him down??? You think my 18 year old daughter that has had him since she was 4 wanted to put him down???? You think my 21 year old son wanted to put him down??? Fuck you, he was suffering and we couldn’t take him hurting anymore. He was full of tumours that caused his belly to be swell up with fluid. He laid in one spot for 2 days, wouldn’t eat couldn’t get up to walk and was suffering. We had to carry him to the vet on a fucking blanket You fucking twat.
I don’t know if he was talking about you. I think he was referring to the posters that are like “ya whatever I put my dog down and didn’t care.”

Duellist

I don’t know if he was talking about you. I think he was referring to the posters that are like “ya whatever I put my dog down and didn’t care.”
Maybe, if that’s the case then elaborate a little instead of making a blanket statement like that 4 fucking posts after I decided to share my experience of having to put my dog down.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Bro this happened to me 🤣

w8t7xa9qhbo91.jpg

Lol, what a cunt.

Nydius

When my mom passed away unexpectedly in 2015, I had to rehome her 3 cats. I couldn’t take them because I already had 3 cats of my own. Although I didn’t have anywhere near a strong emotional bond with her cats as I did my own, giving them up was painful. I take solace in knowing that I vetted the new owners thoroughly and the cats went to good homes.

I’ve never given up a pet of my own. I take the commitment of “forever home” seriously. When we were about to lose everything during the pandemic and it was clear we’d be quasi-homeless as we were forced to move cross country, giving up our cat was never even a question. We sacrificed belongings and space to ensure she would go with us. After the first day of confusion, she settled in and seemed to enjoy the trip. More than I suspected she would.

It’s never easy to have to decide to put down any animals. Some cases make the decision slightly easier to live with but are still devastating. My first cat I had as an adult on my own had a random stroke when she was 15. I rushed her to the vet and while she was in emergent care she had a follow up stroke that made recovery unlikely if not impossible. Giving the go ahead to euthanize was painful but I knew it was the only option. My second cat, who was REALLY bonded with me, developed bowel issues that were indicative of either inflammatory bowel disease or cancer. We couldn’t afford the biopsy to determine which, so the vet put her on prednisone with a poor prognosis of maybe lasting 3-6 months (assuming cancer). She survived another 3 years before the steroid therapy no longer helped. I found a home euthanasia service and had her put down. She was 13; That was 3 years ago and to this day I can’t use the blanket that used to be her favorite without becoming depressed.

We also briefly had pet rats (my wife’s doing), and I’m never having them again because they only live 3-ish years under the best of circumstances. Really hurts getting attached to something only for it to pass away in such a short time.

Last edited:
Maybe, if that’s the case then elaborate a little instead of making a blanket statement like that 4 fucking posts after I decided to share my experience of having to put my dog down.
This is very true and if I was in your shoes I’d be like “wtf??” too, but I’d like to think that he wasn’t trying to include you. It’s very obvious that you truly loved your sweet little angel

We also briefly had pet rats (my wife’s doing), and I’m never having them again because they only live 3-ish years under the best of circumstances. Really hurts getting attached to something only for it to pass away in such a short time.
Word. We had a whole gaggle of rats and a lot of them got bad tumors, they sometimes fought with each other and it got ugly, they were messy and stinky, and could bite through skin like paper. Still miss the little buggers, fat greedy bastards 🐭

Nydius

Word. We had a whole gaggle of rats and a lot of them got bad tumors, they sometimes fought with each other and it got ugly, they were messy and stinky, and could bite through skin like paper. Still miss the little buggers, fat greedy bastards 🐭
We ended up with 8 because my wife, who was still jealous about the cat bonding with me, impulse bought a rat from a pet store. What they didn’t tell her was that it was a feeder tank that hadn’t separated the rats by sex. A few weeks later we had 7 more rats.

Loved them all but the females all got several mammary tumors, and the two boys in that photo destroyed a microwave by chewing through the power cord (which I had thought was tucked in and out of their reach).

Last edited:

Garibaldi

I couldn't give up my dog. He's my best mate. Stops me being lazy when I can't be bothered. Gives me the 'it really doesn't matter' look when I go on a rant about something. Looks at me as if I'm the greatest thing in the world just for giving him a chest rub. I'd rather lose a limb than lose him.

Duellist

I have a 12 year old German shepherd that can hardly walk anymore and I'm dreading having to make the decision to put him down but I know it's coming soon. He still eats and drinks but he just can't move anymore
Sorry to hear man, I know how ya feel. I just went through it. It’s tough, probably one of the hardest things I’ve ever done.

Last edited:

Liljagare

This one was tough, usually don't make posts about pet loss, but this one has hit hard. They just simply take up a huge part of our hearts.

Shakira, lost her fight with thyroid issues, my little angel girl. Was handfed during her first time in life, as she wasn't even supposed to be alive, the owner of a pregnant cat took it into the vet to have it put down. Vets here don't do that, so, her mom had her, no siblings. She was tiny when we got her, at 4 weeks, had to bottlefeed her and wipe her little bottom, like a cat mom would have to do.

I thought she would live alot longer, she made it to 12 years, she was always skinny, and skinny cats tend to live for a long time, but it turns out it was thyroid issues, she was just burning hot as the sun, and when we caught it, it was too late, so she left us last week, very calmly and it seemed she just enjoyed not being in pain anymore. This one will take some time getting over, but I am thankfull that we have 3 more rescues that are helping with the pain. It's the part that sucks with pets.

She took excellently to becoming a mom for the new black poof we adopted, that just said, "You're my momma!". :)

She is survived by Enzio, her brother who was dumped in a box outside a restaurant in the middle of winter here, his mom and siblings froze to death. We also have Emil, who is a orange 1 braincell, and Cobra, who is mourning her mom. The rest are doing fine.. :p

Got a last sunset/sunrise picture to hold on to.

6choDXl.jpg

PBFjIaN.jpg
D3S9scN.jpg

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Sorry to hear about that Liljagare Liljagare . What a lucky cat to have found you and have you care for her. It's obvious how loved she was and what a great person you are from the way you speak of her.

Last edited:

Liljagare

Thank you everyone for the feels. :)

On a positive note, the rest of the herd is doing just fine. :p

Is this how you make cat milk? :D

6HFOxr5.jpg

Facism

Yeh it fucking sucks. I just passed the 2 year anniversary of losing my girl Rocky to cancer. She got hit with Lymphoma around a year old, but because our vet was an absolute champion and got on top of it, she survived it. The vet gave us an estimation of 2 to 5 years before it would come back and ultimately kill her, but she managed to live a good 11 more years before it finally did, and thankfully it wasn't a long, drawn out miserable death. It took quickly and there was no option but to put her to sleep amongst the family.

9Ep8UjJ.jpg

I've been catching a lot of feels about it this month. She was my favourite animal. Absolutely huge personality.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
My father died a few months ago as many of you know. He had a beautiful dachshund which I pretty much inherited. I really, really love her and I take better care of her than I do myself.

I was thinking of giving her up because I'm not in the best mental state right now because of my father that I took care of for years is gone. It's hard for me both financially and just taking care of her. I also can't leave her in the house too long otherwise she urinates everywhere and she gets very lonely and anxious.

I was seriously considering giving her up and I pretty much decided not to. I ended up loving this dog so much while my dad was alive and I still love her. She is an absolute sweetheart and even loves other people. It does bother me that she's a very old dog now and she's probably on her way out and I think she has arthritis. I can't afford to take her to a vet but she still able to walk pretty well.

Cats and dogs are so innocent. They show such unconditional love. They are so adorable. That's why it's so hard to give up a pet or have to experience one passing away.

hollams

Gold Member
I've had two pets in my 50 years both when I was young. The first was a black cat, Silky, that we adopted and had for several months and then one day it left and never came back, at least that was what I was told at the time. What actually happened was that it got into a fight with another cat and came back to the house and it was so hurt that he eventually died and they buried him in the back yard.

The second was my dog, Sally Ride, we got her the same day Sally ride went into space. We had her for about 16 years and she was awesome. During the 4th of July we would shoot fireworks off the dock into the lake and she loved them. We would light bottle rockets and she would sit excitedly with her tail wagging as the fuse was burning and as soon as the bottle rocket took off she would spin around and around barking. One time we got a huge bucket and put in firecrackers and lit them and she took off and was trying to attack them and actually started to stick her head in there and he had to pull her back. She also loved chasing the planes that would fly overhead since we lived close to an airport.

The coolest thing she did was we lived next door to a cabin rental place and around December it would start filling up with people that worked at the local racetrack who would stay there every year. Sally would go over there and walk with the people and they would let her come in to the cabins and they would feed her. She did this for around 3 years and she knew the time as she would start going over there about a week before they started to come in. After she passed away one of the people came around asking about her.

Top Bottom