• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Farewell to a kitten.

One of the outdoor cats just died. I feel conflicted about what happened.

The cat died on Monday

I was about to take a bath in the morning and I hear a cat meowing outside. I go check outside and it's him. He was missing the day before yesterday and I was just happy to see him. He was fine on Saturday. Went missing on Sunday so I figured he was just hiding out due to the heat.

He's not moving. He's meowing but crying in pain. I bring him in the house and try to give him some water. His mouth is a little pale so I give him a little bit of kitten formula and water. I thought it was dehydration so I get him taken to the vet. They do some bloodwork, they give him fluids and rehydrate him and the results are he had no red blood cells. They said he needed a blood transfusion immediately. Just this diagnosis cost me 400 dollars

He's just gasping and crying on the couch as I rub him and try to comfort him as I call vet hospitals trying to figure out how much a blood transfusion for the cat is going to cost.

Then he starts having trouble breathing and starts crying. I pet him and try to comfort him but the crying gets so loud that I step outside for a moment trying to clear my head.

After a few moments I step back in and check on the kitty. He's dead. I tried to comfort him during his last moments but I stepped out right before he died. I spent the entire day comforting him and trying to help him but I left at the very last moment.

The cat didn't care for people. He didn't trust anyone yet he always came running to me when I opened the door and fed him on the porch. Always wanted me to scratch him or rub him and he loved rubbing his cheek against my hand. He ran an entire block just to greet me.

It's surreal. I opened the door today and I almost half expected him to be on the rocking chair or in the cat house waiting for me. It's odd how those little things that used to bring such comfort feel so empty when they're not there. There's still six more cats hanging around, but this one was especially happy to see me all the time. I'm out a cat and 400 dollars I didn't really have yet jumped at to see if there was something that could be done.

The thing that hurts is that the cat wasn't even a year old yet. It just showed up as a kitten abandoned and the mama cat here just accepted him and let him nurse. It took him a long time to not run away. He ran away just hearing people. It was the last four months he got comfortable enough to let me pet him and pick him up.

nush

The cat died on Monday

I was about to take a bath in the morning and I hear a cat meowing outside. I go check outside and it's him. He was missing the day before yesterday and I was just happy to see him. He was fine on Saturday. Went missing on Sunday so I figured he was just hiding out due to the heat.

He's not moving. He's meowing but crying in pain. I bring him in the house and try to give him some water. His mouth is a little pale so I give him a little bit of kitten formula and water. I thought it was dehydration so I get him taken to the vet. They do some bloodwork, they give him fluids and rehydrate him and the results are he had no red blood cells. They said he needed a blood transfusion immediately. Just this diagnosis cost me 400 dollars

He's just gasping and crying on the couch as I rub him and try to comfort him as I call vet hospitals trying to figure out how much a blood transfusion for the cat is going to cost.

Then he starts having trouble breathing and starts crying. I pet him and try to comfort him but the crying gets so loud that I step outside for a moment trying to clear my head.

After a few moments I step back in and check on the kitty. He's dead. I tried to comfort him during his last moments but I stepped out right before he died. I spent the entire day comforting him and trying to help him but I left at the very last moment.

The cat didn't care for people. He didn't trust anyone yet he always came running to me when I opened the door and fed him on the porch. Always wanted me to scratch him or rub him and he loved rubbing his cheek against my hand. He ran an entire block just to greet me.

It's surreal. I opened the door today and I almost half expected him to be on the rocking chair or in the cat house waiting for me. It's odd how those little things that used to bring such comfort feel so empty when they're not there. There's still six more cats hanging around, but this one was especially happy to see me all the time. I'm out a cat and 400 dollars I didn't really have yet jumped at to see if there was something that could be done.

You're a good man, sorry for your loss.

If you believe in balance in the universe, I saved a cat today from being homeless.

KrakenIPA

The cat died on Monday

You can be sure that if cats think of memories before they pass, the cat knew you were close by to give comfort in its last moments. I hope you can find solace in helping the other cats thrive. You seem like you have a good heart.

I just posted a marketplace listing for some of my old gaming stuff to help cover the vet bills. If anyone is interested shoot me a message. No reasonable offer will be turned down.

Fools idol

Banned
I feel you man.

My oldest cat, whom I spent 10 years of my life with, was with me when I was in dire straits, through thick and thin, got cancer out of nowhere after 10 years of good health. On her last day of life I had a work meeting that I couldn't miss and of course didn't know that would be the last day I saw her alive, when I came home she was in my computer chair as she always was, asleep. At least that is what I thought.

I made some food, came up to watch some streams and when I went to move her off the chair I realised she was gone. Literally dropped my plate of food on the floor and sobbed uncontrollably for a good 5 hours. I was completely inconsolible with grief, genuinely felt so much guilt and sadness all at once that I basically broke inside. Pets are special things, and I will regret going out that day for the rest of my life not to have been with her in her final moments.

She fortunately was not in pain, and passed in her sleep clearly, on her favourite chair spot.

So sorry :( This is my worst nightmare. My cats have all just became outdoor kitty cats and while I feel like I can trust them it's always in my mind that a dog/bird/human will attack them or they'll get hit with a car. but at the same time I couldn't keep them locked in the house all the time again. It's only since moving house that I feel I can let them outside. I was terrified at first but have got somewhat used to them being out now.

Your kitty is at peace now. Don't beat yourself up for not being there at the last moment. You needed to clear your head. You're only human. I'm sure your cat loved you and had a fun time with you.

RIP

Losing a pet can be worse than losing a relative. I think I’ve only cried once when a living creature died and it was when our puppy passed away.
These days I actually cry more about my previous cats than I do about my dad or any other family member i've lost. I didn't have the best relationship with my dad but I still loved him a fucking lot and it took me a long time to "get over it" (I'm not really over it and don't think I ever will be). I can deal with humans dying but animals break my heart.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

These days I actually cry more about my previous cats than I do about my dad or any other family member i've lost. I didn't have the best relationship with my dad but I still loved him a fucking lot and it took me a long time to "get over it" (I'm not really over it and don't think I ever will be). I can deal with humans dying but animals break my heart.
This is me as well. The bond you form is just too strong.

Very sorry to hear about your loss OP.

Is this a neighborhood cat or a cat of yours you keep outside? Not sure where you live, but in my area it's very dangerous to have an outside cat because of all of the predators and neighbors who hate random cats shitting on their property.

badblue

I'm sorry man. I know how you feel, my cat died in January. Only had him a little over a year when I noticed he was sick on New Years Day.

I miss that little guy.

Cry Cry Cry GIF by MOODMAN

Trilobit

I once read about human beings passing away once they knew they were alone in the room. For some reason we feel the comfort of letting go when we're alone. So I think the same may apply to your kitten. Once you stepped outside it was ready to go.

Remember the good times you had with it. :messenger_heart:

I had to euthanize my god in 2016, remember it like yesterday. Didnt want to eat a sathurday morning, kept going outside to just lie down on snow/ice. He had never missed a meal in 7 years so I was worried. Took an appointment to the vet, after some tests, found out he had cancer, the strong fucker never showed any signs until it was his last day. I had two choices, try to feed him pills to try and keep him up another week or lay him to rest.

I remember him looking at me while I was petting him, telling him how he had been a good dog, that I loved him so much and then him taking his last breath.

I dont know if i'll ever be able to have another dog, it still hurts to this day.

My thought are with you OP

Last edited:

poodaddy

Brother it is gut wrenching misery losing a little furry member of the family, and trust me I know that they are family. I loved a little guy I had back in the Army, and he had something of a similar end. I actually think I might know what happened to your little guy, but I won't get into all that as it's a painful memory for both you and me. Just know that he did know you loved him, they always know, and even if their ends are awful and gut wrenching like that, know that it was better with you than without you. Sometimes some of us just don't get a fair shake at life, and it's so goddamn sad and we can get so angry, but we just have to cherish our time with each other and our furrier family members, and hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

I'm sorry brother, it will hurt less soon, I promise you that.

Last edited:
Sorry OP, went through this type of thng with a cat. Still paying the bill which ran to like $3500. It gets better. For the first few weeks it felt like one of those its never going to feel better things. I always cling to the bible verse. Pain may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning. have found that to be so very true.

I'm so so so sorry. None of words will likely console you and make you feel much better, but I am truly sorry. Your post touched my heart. Not only was it traumatic, tragic, but it was sort of endearing. The way you speak about this kitten makes me appreciate the humanity left in the world and the gift that we have been given that we call our pets and animals. They are so special and unique. God, it breaks my heart like no other. I can't stand losing pets or seeing animals hurt. I lost my childhood dog early last year and it hurt so bad. We had her put down in our living room since our vet came to our house to put her to sleep. Watching her shake and shiver as she was passing away after the shot is something else.

Man I'm so sorry. Thank you for caring for the little guy and sharing your experience. I know you feel upset with it but you were doing the best you could with the overwhelming situation and it was far from easy. You were just trying to clear your head and none of it was your fault. Definitely don't beat yourself up and let it weigh on you if possible. That kitten was grateful for you and loved you, no doubt about it. Hope you are okay.

Cyberpunkd

I’m confused, is this your cat or one of these that hang around the neighbourhood?

Regardless, this to me looks like someone might have poisoned him. I also have a cat, never let her out since I live in a city but even if I did live in the countryside I still wouldn’t - too many crazy fucks out there.

I’m confused, is this your cat or one of these that hang around the neighbourhood?

Regardless, this to me looks like someone might have poisoned him. I also have a cat, never let her out since I live in a city but even if I did live in the countryside I still wouldn’t - too many crazy fucks out there.
It's a cat that was probably abandoned and it just came to my house since there was mothers nursing kittens and it just went in line and the mama cats accepted him.

The vet didn't mention positioning. They said it was an autoimmune or something he was born with. The red blood cell count was zero. They couldn't detect any in him. It kind of just chilled on the porch on the rocking chair or slept in the cat house. Didn't really wander much.

Top Bottom