• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear GAF: of cartoons and comics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matlock

Banned
A few addendums to my prior Dear GAF thread, detailing another aspect of fanboyism.

I. Comics.

-A. When going into a comics thread, ask yourself this--did you dislike this comic strip in the past? Have you insulted it regularly beforehand? If so, is it worth it replying again to re-state your opinion on the issue?

-B. Calvin and Hobbes and The Far Side are the greatest comic strips ever, we know. Jesus christ.

-C. Perry Bible Fellowship is odd, it's off-kilter, but it's not so good as to make everything else look pedestrian. Seriously. When you can't enjoy a comic strip because you've been spoiled by a bored art student's musings--that's when you've got to rethink things.

--1. In accordance with C, don't start firing up PBF's in unrelated threads. It's a stupid circle-jerk, and even the best ones are wearing really fucking thin.

-D. VGCats is sometimes amusing. That doesn't mean you have to post it here, because you know the same gang of idiots is going to cry over it.

II. Cartoons

-A. Disney vs. anime! Such a big competition! Quality vs. quantity! Shut the fuck up.

--1. Disney ripped off anime! Well, here's news, buster. Disney also ripped off classic fairy tales! Then anime did the same thing later! So anime ripped off Disney? I THINK? Refer back to IIA

-B. Megas XLR is one of the best cartoons in the world, just thought I'd toss that in.

*cries*

godhatesgaf.jpg

Belfast

Megas XLR does indeed rock and I don't know why more people don't watch it.

Also, if anything, Disney and anime share more in common then you'd think. Osamu Tezuka was influenced by Western animation. He created Astro Boy amongst other things, becoming a vanguard for what would eventually be the standard style associated with manga/anime in the ensuing years.

I don't really get it when people make fun of anime characters for, say, having big eyes, when that's a trend that AMERICAN animation started and continues to this very day. Yes, over time, the context for big eyes has become different. Its often applied to more human forms in anime, which does make them look a tad stranger when compared to your average anthropomorphic warner brothers or disney character where realistic proportions have little to no meaning.

demi

MrAngryFace said:
F. Matlock is a forum celebrity only in his own mind.
--1. Psi-Ops and Mercenaries

Yeah, Matlock you stink. All that ranting in IRC can only go on for so long!

Chipopo

Banned
There are maybe 3 people on this forum who could pull off a thread like this without everyone thinking they're a pompous douchebag.

And neither of us are one of them :p

VG Cats is miserable, Matlock sucks, and Perry Bible Fellowship is the second funniest webcomic after leisuretown. You can NEVER have too much PBF. Period.

As I have spoken, so shall it be graven.

Hero

Arrogant much?

Oh, and I can't recall the last hand-drawn animated Disney movie that was good.

PBF rocks, don't hate.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Hero said:

The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Prior to that, we had Beauty and the Beast.

Memles

Hero said:

Lilo and Stitch was most definitely, at least, "good". Then, there was Emperor's New Groove.

If you had said "great" I may have added an IMO, but if you only say "good" then I think both of those qualify.

Triumph

Banned
Matlock said:
-C. Perry Bible Fellowship is odd, it's off-kilter, but it's not so good as to make everything else look pedestrian. Seriously. When you can't enjoy a comic strip because you've been spoiled by a bored art student's musings--that's when you've got to rethink things.
You suck. You know that, right? I mean, really suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom