• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear Nintendo. Why isn't Zelda a playable character in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?

jdstorm

Banned
Dear Nintendo.

I am very much looking forward to playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe after it has become availiable to the general public. I am also very much enjoying The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild. This has me very much excited to play as Link in Mario Kart 8, but the question remains.

If i can play as Link in Mario Kart 8, why can't i play as Zelda?

Presumed non Mario IP Splatoon and Animal Crossing both have playable male and female characters from each of their respective franchises.(Inkling Boy and Girl as well as male and female Villagers) Furthermore Zelda has appeared as a playable character in multiple cross over titles including almost 2 decades of the Smash Bros series and Hyrule Warriors. This begs the question, Why isn't Zelda playable in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Surely one of the multiple Mario and or Peach variations could appear as palate swaps with the original character to free up an extra roster space. Zelda could even appear as a palate swap for Link. So Why isn't Zelda playable in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?

Regards
Confused Consumer.

Edit: Please dont use this thread to campaign for your favourite Nintendo character that didn't make it into Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, or a "Nintendo Kart" or a "Smash Kart." This thread is specifically about Zelda's absense from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe when other IPs with guest characters are getting 2 representative's one male and one female.

McDougles

Dear Mr. Kimishima,

There are too many characters in Mario Kart 8 nowadays. Please, eliminate three (so Zelda can get in).

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

NMFried

I'm one of those "let's make it Smash Kart" people. But regarding your point, heck yeah we should get to play as Zelda.

But muh Rose Gold Peach and Silver/Gold/Bronze/Blood Mario!

Why can't I pick Diddy Kong?
He's a veteran at least.

Well at least king Boo is there I guess

Edit: honestly, you would think Kirby would've been picked by now.

jdstorm

Banned
Personally I'm very much a Mario Kart Purist and would happily remove any Non Mario characters from Mario Kart. However if games like Animal Crossing and Splatoon get both Male and Female representation in Mario Kart. Then it's strange that Zelda, the namesake of one of Nintendo's most popular and relevant IPs isn't in the game when her male counterpart is.

Zubz

Banned
I'd rather see someone like K. Rool, Pauline, or Vivian (Or hell, Diddy) that's already a Mario character get in, but seeing how Zelda & Ganondorf are the only Zelda characters I have strong feelings for that aren't also jokes, I'd love to see her get in.

When's Birdo?

fGHFwxX.png

Well i kinda agree, i mean the game we all love is called Zelda. Which brings me to this offtopic question. Why do we never play as Zelda, i mean the game has been called zelda for the past 30 years.
If it's all about Link why not call it The Legend of Link. Lol it's late off to bed.

Richie

Tanooki Mario! Cat Peach! Rubbish! Should have been Link, Zelda and Toon Link, like a happy family of sorts :3

(Or Darunia, no one else in the Zeldaverse would have had more fun)

Dear Mr. Kimishima,

There are too many characters in Mario Kart 8 nowadays. Please, eliminate three (so Zelda can get in).

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

I'd invite ya a Duff if I could

TZchassis

Because of the balance of the trifoce.

I wanted BOTW Link skin too. I thought we would 100% get it but now I am not even sure if we will get it in the Smash enhanced port.

Stopdoor

Mario Kart 8 has a lot of baffling roster choices, but at least it didn't skip Waluigi like Mario Kart 7 did (???).

Zelda would be nice but the real salt in the wound is having the Blue Falcon and two F-Zero courses without the Captain himself to show you his moves.

Cody_D165

Banned
Blue Falcon kart and two entire F-Zero tracks but no Captain Falcon.

We got the fucking Animal Crossing Villagers, Inklings, and even Link on a fucking motorcycle in our antigravity racing title, but no Captain Falcon.

Nintendo is truly baffling sometimes.

Kthulhu

Zelda would be nice but the real salt in the wound is having the Blue Falcon and two F-Zero courses without the Captain himself to show you his moves.

This. If Nintendo isn't gonna make another F-Zero, they could at least put Captain Falcon in Mario Kart.

It's Mario's carting event, it's entirely up to him who he invites, I imagine Peach would not be too keen on Mario inviting another pretty blonde women to "kart" with him and his boys.

Richie

It's Mario's carting event, it's entirely up to him who he invites, I imagine Peach would not be too keen on Mario inviting another pretty blonde women to "kart" with him and his boys.

"What about-a ourselves as bambinos?"
"My cousin with the Pink Gold touch first!"

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I was going to say that it's because they're guest characters and they don't want to overwhelm the game with non-Mario characters, but I realized every other guest franchise has more than one character representative, so it's indeed a bit odd. I don't expect DLC for MK8D, though, since the team is probably going to be busy with ARMS DLC for a while.

Top Bottom