• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Battle: Son Goku vs. Superman 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnor

Banned
Goku wishes anything he'd ever been in could touch the quality of "Superman Secret Identity" or "Superman for All Seasons."

Hell, just this one page from "Legend of the Green Flame" gives Superman more depth than Goku:

wixgP4U.jpg

(This is what Hell is to Superman, seeing people suffer and being unable to help them)

shoreu

Why are you downplaying Galaxy busting? Exclude Pre-Crisis as that version is really broken, what we saw in the video I doubt he'd be durable to survive Galaxy Busting if we use composite Goku.

You seem to rubbish most of DBZ when earlier on you were refusing to accept that these characters can control the Ki output of their power to limit whatever happens to the surrounding environment.

I totally accepted that from you if i remember correctly it made sense. However, as you said Pre-crisis Supes is OP as hell so composite superman would kill Goku no problem it's not a fair fight man. To be honest were being really generous saying that Goku would have time to attack in the first place. Superman has at least light speed reaction time if not faster and can move FTL. The fight would start and end before he knew about it.

Let me ask you this do you believe that goku can defeat Flash?

I call BS on all of this.

First fight ... why would Goku not teleport to another planet if Supes broke the earth? This one ... really? You go through the effort of making a part 2 just to have Supes fry his brain?

Also, wtf at brushing off power levels as being "meaningless" yet taking stupid shit like Supes hearing a sound from earth through the vacuum of space at a speed that's impossible for sound to travel is useable?

Nightbird

Hell, just this one page from "Legend of the Green Flame" gives Superman more depth than Goku:

(This is what Hell is to Superman, seeing people suffer and being unable to help them)

Crap, I take back what I said about Supes. He ain't boring. That's touching!

First fight ... why would Goku not teleport to another planet if Supes broke the earth? This one ... really? You go through the effort of making a part 2 just to have Supes fry his brain?

Also, wtf at brushing off power levels as being "meaningless" yet taking stupid shit like Supes hearing a sound from earth through the vacuum of space at a speed that's impossible for sound to travel is useable?

The sound didn't travel to Superman's ears, his ears traveled to the sound.

I totally accepted that from you if i remember correctly it made sense. However, as you said Pre-crisis Supes is OP as hell so composite superman would kill Goku no problem it's not a fair fight man. To be honest were being really generous saying that Goku would have time to attack in the first place. Superman has at least light speed reaction time if not faster and can move FTL. The fight would start and end before he knew about it.

Let me ask you this do you believe that goku can defeat Flash?

Goku is light speed as well. Whis is massively FTL and Beerus below him but still FTL. Goku fought Beerus in the first movie at speeds so fast that time appeared frozen as raindrops were floating in the air and they managed to have a lengthy conversation at the same time. In fact Goku from Dragonball has speed feats which you could arguably say approaches light speed as well. Most won't use it, but if you want to use composite, then he's so much faster than light.

I believe Flash would win. He's one of my favorite DC characters and I love the TV show :)

Stage On

The honest answer is the winner would depend on who's writing them since Power levels in comic books are bullshit.

For example take Darkseid. He's supposed to be a really big time multiversal threat yet it's hard to take him very seriously when freaking Aquaman can stab his eye out. One day he's wiping the floor with the Justice league and the next Superman is kicking has ass one on one.

And then you get stuff like Superman supposedly bench pressing the equivalent of the earth for days on end in one story to him having trouble moving the moon with assistance from other heros in another.

The only thing consistent about how strong superman is how inconsistent it can be, especially between different version of him. Pre-crises Superman is not the same as Post crisis who isn't the same as New 52 Superman so cherry picking feats across different versions like what was done here is just downright disingenuous.

Granted Dragon ball isn't much better at consistency. Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Goku going down to a laser from one of Freiza's henchman shouldn't be possible given some of his other feats over the years, but the problem is Dragon ball is written by one dude who's more of a gag writer then a serious one, a writer that often forgets his own past details at that.

Agree. And then there's lifting eternity which means what exactly? How does that even make sense?

And if eternity weighs infinity then how comes he doesn't make an infinite collision? See how much sense that makes?

4189028-1128998490-8iUgK.jpg

Why are you downplaying Galaxy busting? Exclude Pre-Crisis as that version is really broken, what we saw in the video I doubt he'd be durable to survive Galaxy Busting if we use composite Goku.

You seem to rubbish most of DBZ when earlier on you were refusing to accept that these characters can control the Ki output of their power to limit whatever happens to the surrounding environment.

Composite Superman.....like this?

Dconemillion-supermanprime.jpg

the latter is an actual feat we can see, power levels are invisible completely arbitrary things that have no rhyme or reason to them.

It's also less that power levels are bullshit it's that you can't use them to say anything because of how DBZ is portrayed. The scale of the fights peaked during the Frieza fight, the problem is that despite them saying and us obviously knowing they became stronger since then, the fights look no different and they never do anything beyond planet busting.(which saiyan saga Vegeta could do)

Merc_

I also want to say that I like the overall respectful tone toward both characters and franchises in the video. If only the majority of fans could be more like that during these debates.

WolvenOne

Meh, boring. No I'm actually not being sarcastic here. This just strikes me as more overwrought melodrama. We all see painful things everyday, we all know that the world is full of suffering that we can do nothing about, and on a certain level it breaks everyones heart a little every day.

You see interesting, I see the ordinary. The core problem with Superman is that we rarely see him acting on needs, wants, desires, or ambitions. He acts as if it is his lot in life to be a suffering martyr for the good of all, and woke that note can work for awhile it gets oooold after so many decades.

Heck, while I refuse to try to delve too deeply into DC comics again, the recent de-powering of Superman has been the most interesting thing to happen to the character in a long time. Now at least he is given room to want, to desire, to feel insecurity and ambitions. It's not a huge improvement seeing as he still has a rather bland personality, but it's certainly better than what they had going before.

Goku could beat superman!

But he couldn't beat superman #58264 who can end the universe with a sneeze.

These arguements are dumb

He couldn't beat any version of Superman except for the depowered ones. Goku needs to go sit his ass down somewhere and set his goal lower to beating up Cyborg or some other scrub.

Heroman

Banned
He couldn't beat any version of Superman except for the depowered ones. Goku needs to go sit his ass down somewhere and set his goal lower to beating up Cyborg or some other scrub.

Actually goku can beat several version of superman, the idea that he is is no on that level is wrong.

Zolo

Goku can blow up a planet with a ki blast. Superman can heat a pan of soup.

Goku wins

Goku would probably prefer the latter.

Actually goku can beat several version of superman, the idea that he is is no on that level is wrong.
I think this is where most of the misconception comes from. The most popular media like the animated series is a case where Goku would win, but comic-wise, Superman wins.

Goku would probably prefer the latter.

I think this is where most of the misconception comes from. The most popular media like the animated series is a case where Goku would win, but comic-wise, Superman wins.

Even Supermans latest incarnation of Nu52 would lose to Goku.

params7

Banned
Superman has a bland personality? Hold me back.

One of his biggest flaws really that writers need to tackle. That's why Batman sells so much more in the same universe that its a joke. Superman's backstory is well engrained but maybe they could violate his fundamentals and actually make Superman work to get his super powers. That might make his character more interesting to read about..

Goku is nothing but another caricature of a being like Superman. But more exciting as we actually see Goku continually fail, struggle and overcome his opponents with spirited hard work. People relate more with stuff like that. But most of all, Goku gets personality.

He couldn't beat any Superman though. So the argument is dumb I guess.

Actually, I'm still not convinced Post Crisis beats Toei/Anime continuity of Goku, given fillers add some cosmic feats in DB.

tbd

The long awaited Rematch has come in it's full Glory!

Youtube

To some People, including me the Result was no suprise at all. But i actually like that they improved the Research compared to the first one, and relied less on Numbers for explaining it

I expected some stupid/fun 3D editor fighting video but they really are just discussing and seriously comparing two completely different fantasy universes for 20 minutes. Really?

a916

I am a huge fan of both IPs... but god damn that salt from other DBZ fans.

It's as if this is somehow discrediting the character or devaluing the show...

One of his biggest flaws really that writers need to tackle. That's why Batman sells so much more in the same universe that its a joke. Superman's backstory is well engrained but maybe they could violate his fundamentals and actually make Superman work to get his super powers. That might make his character more interesting to read about..

Goku is nothing but another caricature of a being like Superman. But more exciting as we actually see Goku continually fail, struggle and overcome his opponents with spirited hard work. People relate more with stuff like that. But most of all, Goku gets personality.

Actually, I'm still not convinced Post Crisis beats Toei/Anime continuity of Goku, given fillers add some cosmic feats in DB.
Batman is a more interesting character there is no doubt about it. But saying Superman has a bland personality is a flat out lie. He is an incredibly interesting character. People who say he isn't don't read much of his books. All Star Superman is more interesting than anything in DBZ

Zolo

But could he defeat 'Uber Saiyan' Goku.

36a1af6c1287d5c528877a9c395e56a8.jpg

I am a huge fan of both IPs... but god damn that salt from other DBZ fans.

It's as if this is somehow discrediting the character or devaluing the show...

Which is funny since Goku would just enjoy the fight.

And then ask if he could train with him.

WolvenOne

Batman is a more interesting character there is no doubt about it. But saying Superman has a bland personality is a flat out lie. He is an incredibly interesting character. People who say he isn't don't read much of his books. All Star Superman is more interesting than anything in DBZ

You know, maybe, juuuuuuuuust maybe, all those people who say they find Superman boring are saying that for a reason. And maybe, juuuust maybe, that reason is that a lot of people find him boring.

I know, sounds crazy doesn't it! XD

You know, maybe, juuuuuuuuust maybe, all those people who say they find Superman boring are saying that for a reason. And maybe, juuuust maybe, that reason is that a lot of people find him boring.

In my experience these people don't know a thing about Superman outside of Man of Steel or the Dick Donner films. So it's an unfair judgement.

They find him so boring they couldn't reference 1 comic book story involving Superman aside from "Death" and "Dark Knight Returns" because they never read any.

No, it doesn't sound crazy. Just ignorant.

Hero

I don't think Goku can win but Goku is designed to almost always be the underdog. Superman is the opposite.

Balanced is a word that doesn't exist in the DC universe.

I don't think Goku can win but Goku is designed to almost always be the underdog. Superman is the opposite.

Balanced is a word that doesn't exist in the DC universe.

Actually, compared to DBZ, balance perfectly describes DC. Multiple JLA or DC universe stories involve different characters and different scenarios being the reason the villain loses. By the Frieza saga it was all the z fighters get their ass kicked until goku (and gohan one time) overpower the opponent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom