• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Note Live Action Series at works on Netflix

Draugoth

Gold Member
Deadline: The Duffer Brothers (Stranger Things) will work together with Netflix on a new DEATH NOTE live-action series adaptation Their newly found company Upside Down Pictures will be responsible for the project.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Interesting. Will they be able what others have failed? If it turns out amazing they should certainly try again with CB and other failed live action adaptations.

Kssio_Aug

Luke Skywalker Reaction GIF

I have watched a Death Note live action movie there (not sure, but I think it was a Netflix production) and, as I feared, it was terrible...

I mean, the manga and anime are fantastic, why even make it live action though? I think most anime don't translate well for live action, except if they make tons of adaptions (which I guess would displease some fans).

The interesting is that it's gonna be made by the Duffer Brothers though... maybe they're capable of handling it right.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Why does it seem like every six months Netflix begins production on a live action Death Note? The definition of insanity is trying to make a shitty anime adaptation over and over again. Eventually, they're gonna end up animating it and we'll get the Western animation Death Note. Light will look like Peter Griffin. Just...FFS, dudes. It wasn't THAT MUCH of a linchpin in anime/Manga culture. It was mildly popular, there's no reason to keep shoving cattle prods up It's corpse's ass and Weekend at Berniesying it for a whole new generation of lite beer chugging, mumble rap listening teenagers who won't appreciate an aescethic that went out of mainstream vogue in 2009. Stahp.

Madonis

I enjoyed the show back in the day, despite Light not being a very interesting character once you figure out his gimmick is never going to change.

This project doesn't necessarily fill me with hope or anything. I didn't watch the other adaptations either.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
This will be the fourth live-action adaptation of Death Note, after the Japanese film series, the Japanese TV show, and the Netflix movie.

ManaByte

Gold Member
A series adaptation of Stephen King and Peter Straub‘s 1984 novel The Talisman which the Duffers will craft alongside Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Entertainment and Paramount Television.

The Duffers making a Stephen King adaptation with Amblin (Spielberg)? HOLY FUCKING SHIT BALLS

are they going to at least stick closer to the source material this time around? not that the manga was all that good story wise after a certain point, but it's still better than that Netflix movie version. also,

I don't understand why Death Note is so popular

it's a great power fantasy for some people, I imagine. people see themselves in the protagonist in stories like these, and Light was intelligent, charming (when he wants to be) and strong willed. plus he has the ability to kill people off with a stroke of his pen. that allows a lot of people who's not physically fit to have a better resonant themselves to Light.

Fbh

seriously-again.gif

So many other interesting stuff and we are adapting Death Note to live action for the 90th time?

I don't understand why Death Note is so popular

It's one those shows that managed to find an audience beyond just traditional anime watchers.

I think in part because the concept itself has a more universal appeal, and the art direction is somewhat grounded.

Also the first arc with L is pretty damn solid IMO. Though still hard to adapt because L doesn't work in live action.

Lady Jane

Banned
Sometimes Netflix release some great stuff. Stranger Things, Dark and The Last Kingdom comes to mind!

For every decent show on Netflix, there are 12 duds. There's too much trash on that service. Also Stranger Things season 1 was the only good season. Season 2 and 3 were crap. And please don't say "just gotta watch to season 4!" I've heard that so much this week. I value my time too much to watch something that "gets good again at season 4".

My SO and I have a new rule. We only watch shows that have a definite ending season that's scheduled or a mini-series. It's a pretty awesome one and we don't get roped into series where the streaming service pressures the writers to come up with ways to draw it out even longer. We started doing this after the second season of The Boys. After the first season of tight and forward writing, the second season was a blatant shift to draw that show out as long as possible. So done.

Last edited:

Goalus

Ohhhh...

I hope it will have enough diversity and representation to reflect what the world actually looks like.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
God I wish Netflix would renew The OA :lollipop_crying:
It would be cool to see the Duffer Brothers produce something as good as Stranger Things S1 & 2 again. I feel like the conflict between Light and L isn't too dissimilar from the thrilling feel of watching the separate groups disconnectedly solve the mysteries of early Stranger Things, so this might be a good match. I'm mostly just adding this Death Note talk so I'm not off topic though, my main interest here is to express how sad I still am about The OA getting cancelled. I wish Netflix would renew The OA.

John Bilbo

God I wish Netflix would renew The OA :lollipop_crying:
It would be cool to see the Duffer Brothers produce something as good as Stranger Things S1 & 2 again. I feel like the conflict between Light and L isn't too dissimilar from the thrilling feel of watching the separate groups disconnectedly solve the mysteries of early Stranger Things, so this might be a good match. I'm mostly just adding this Death Note talk so I'm not off topic though, my main interest here is to express how sad I still am about The OA getting cancelled. I wish Netflix would renew The OA.
OA was interesting, especially the first season.

belmarduk

This will be the fourth live-action adaptation of Death Note, after the Japanese film series, the Japanese TV show, and the Netflix movie.

There was a live action Japanese TV show?

Its crazy that they're doing this.. especially when you consider how well-regarded the Duffer Bros are.. Netflix having them beat a dead horse like this is insane.. and I say that as the possibly the only person who actually liked the 2017 Netflix movie.

Why does it seem like every six months Netflix begins production on a live action Death Note? The definition of insanity is trying to make a shitty anime adaptation over and over again. Eventually, they're gonna end up animating it and we'll get the Western animation Death Note. Light will look like Peter Griffin. Just...FFS, dudes. It wasn't THAT MUCH of a linchpin in anime/Manga culture. It was mildly popular, there's no reason to keep shoving cattle prods up It's corpse's ass and Weekend at Berniesying it for a whole new generation of lite beer chugging, mumble rap listening teenagers who won't appreciate an aescethic that went out of mainstream vogue in 2009. Stahp.
Ok, this is a rant.

An intelligent and funny rant, but still a rant 😂

If they make a live action one I'm not gonna watch it. I'm not even an anime fan, but a chick I was banging at the time recommended I check it out, and I did. The themes and the plot progression are amazing. The Light vs. L cat-and-mouse game, trying to outsmart each other, is one of my favorite manifestations of that plot device like, ever.

shocked kristen bell GIF by The Good Place

I just wonder how much they will change characters. Akira will be a guy "that is for sure", and white because it cannot be anything else, L changed to be a girl "you know good", let me give it more points "a minority".

train GIF

Fbh

You know what would have been an interesting project for the Duffer brothers to take on?
5b7cd200da77f.jpg

They did a great job in Stranger Things casting, writing and directing a compelling cast of kids so I think they could really pull off this whole duality of the main cast as kids and adults.
The plot has a fun mix of mystery, action and some supernatural elements which they have shown to be able to do well.
Like most work by Urasawa the art direction is fairly grounded and realistic, and the characters are unique but not super crazy and over the top so they should actually be able to adapt them to live action in a way that stays true to them and doesn't make them cringy and out of place.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Nothing in this will be as good as LaKeith Stanfield as L in the Netflix movie running full pelt with his hands in his pockets.

bitbydeath

Shame they didn’t get to reboot Elm Street with the Vecna actor as Freddy, if anyone could reboot it properly right now, it’s them.

Netflix:
and-ill-keep-trying-until-i-get-it-right-garrett-randall.gif

I just wonder how much they will change characters. Akira will be a guy "that is for sure", and white because it cannot be anything else, L changed to be a girl "you know good", let me give it more points "a minority".
This already happened. You missed the last Netflix adaptation. What you're describing was also the least of it's problems because as it turned out, Lakeith Stanfield did a great job as L with the bullshit he was given and it was actually Light's actor who was found to be lacking, or at least lacking direction.

Last edited:
Top Bottom