• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding gameplay impressions possibly leaked

Leocarian

Banned
"Tons of weapons, vehicles, gadgets and gear from multiple era's, from clubs to single shot muskets to energy swords.

The baby is something that exists as a singular, it is not something that is instanced each time you boot up the game. The baby is a single entity. He is what is causing the time distortions and dimensions crossing over, which is multiplayer.

When the community has reached the end of the game, there will need to be a global decision made to kill the baby and end DS multiplayer forever, or allow it to live and continue the multiplayer experience.

Players in other games can do things at certain points in time that will have a butterfly effect in your game, this can happen both while you are actively playing or while the game is off. They can be positive or bad things (Stick or rope)

PVP can happen at any point if you and another player accidentally cross timelines while time traveling.

When you die that timeline is closed forever, significant things that encapsulate that Sam's story in that timeline will travel with you to the ocean floor before you re-emerge and continue in a new timeline. As you and other players pollute the ocean, it will cause sea-life to die and wash up on shore.

Early 2020 - Game got delayed internally.

yes it will be on PC at an undecided time after the PS4 release. Likely not for at least 12 months.

Sony wants it exclusive entirely, minimum contractual obligation is a year though. Well see after that. None of that is set in stone yet."

More at/Original Source - https://www.thenerdmag.com/rumor-death-stranding-gameplay-details-leaked/

Last edited:

DonF

When the community has reached the end of the game, there will need to be a global decision made to kill the baby and end DS multiplayer forever, or allow it to live and continue the multiplayer experience.
This would create a "No man's sky no multiplayer" level of outrage. I guess that with kojima everything goes.

This is highly interesting. It sounds legit. It's too pinpoint about certain things to be fake. The explanation about the baby is crazy!

Imagine destroying Death Stranding MP forever because it's the choice of the players to do so? That would be insane. "Let's destroy MP before they cut the servers!" I can imagine it now.

The Shepard

2020 ay. Gonna be a cross gen title with the ps5 likley to be out that year, or even a secret ps5 launch game..

I'm supprised sony haven't cemented it down as an exclusive, as its there engine and money paying for the game. I could be wrong on the sony finance part.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
So it kinda sounds like a souls game. The ability to end Multiplayer entirely based on global vote sounds weird, so I'm not sure how that's going to work. Maybe it just means for a particular playthrough?

Geki-D

Banned
Time travel? This sounds like someone saw WW2 stuff from the trailer and just assumed it was time travel.

Could be real but I get the feeling this is bogus.

Leocarian

Banned
So it kinda sounds like a souls game. The ability to end Multiplayer entirely based on global vote sounds weird, so I'm not sure how that's going to work. Maybe it just means for a particular playthrough?

I hope this is fake.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
We can end multiplayer? Can we use Killswitch Engage's End of Heartache as our banter while it happens? Haha

I can't believe it until I see it.

All babies must die (the second greatest threat to humanity behind nuclear proliferation, but been there done that).

Taking massive cues from the Souls model of allowing non-traditional player interactions. But as fun as those interactions can be, caution must be taken because trolling others is so easy to achieve and ruining the player experience.

I’m still wondering if DeathS will integrate existing social platforms as was rumored to personalize certain segments of the SP experience.

xviper

this better be fake, all of this multiplayer crap doesn't sound good, i just want Silent hills back in a new name, just like how Demon's souls came back with a new name, Dark souls

xool

So "capture the baby" mode ..

I think the old 4chan leak also mentioned time travel. (as well as a PC port later..)

It's still viewable here

btw that leak was later supposedly proved false . search for "The leak is fake here is the proof" on the DeathStranding reddit.

I'm still a believer, but if you want to call that leak fake, I'd guess the safe bets are on the new on being fake too.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
Like Sony’s gonna give Kojima a blank check and then allow him to release a game where the community can decide to kill the multiplayer mode at any time.

On the other hand, this kind of bullshit sounds exactly like the terrible sort of idea post-MGS3 Kojima would come up with.

Hard to say.

Vol5

Killing mp makes sense considering Kohima has toyed with the idea of a game ending completely after a player choice

theHFIC

Sounds like the mash up of Time Splitters (time travel), MGS5 (stealth and action), and Noby Noby Boy (collaborative effort to move the game forward) that I've been waiting for!

Breakage

Yeah, this sounds awful if it is true. I know my view is in the minority but this desire to make everything Souls-like is getting annoying.

MiguelItUp

Sounds interesting! But to be honest, this could all be a total lie, and I wouldn't know. The info on the game has been so incredibly vague that anything is believable, including this. I'm certainly eager to hear more about it.

A.Romero

I'm interested. I'll get it regardless but I rather see some more experimentation. I'm also very drawn to time traveling and butterfly effect so I'll watch this closely.

Nukes haven't been disabled in MGSV despite some people thinking it will trigger some important stuff in the game. I really doubt we can reach a concensus, specially if it means ending the MP side of the game. However, having the option sounds so interesting to me.

I hope it keeps an interesting story, as previous Kojima games. I don't have a lot of interest in MP in general so I don't want to lose my favorite SP experiences (Kojima games).

God Enel

It's kind and crazy to me that players can kill the MP entirely. What's with the guys buying the game after MP is killed? Or did I missunderstood something? Like they will only get the single player experience but this MP sounds like an important part of the game.

I'm confused but it's still a fresh idea so I'm all in baby!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
This has gotto be fake. Interactive movies have no gameplay.

Kojima x Souls is way too up my alley to not become my most wanted game. Was hoping for a 2019 release... 2020 seems so far off.

The info sounds super interesting though. The idea of the fanbase ending mp is hilarious.

ExpandKong

Banned
Kojima x Souls is way too up my alley to not become my most wanted game. Was hoping for a 2019 release... 2020 seems so far off.

The info sounds super interesting though. The idea of the fanbase ending mp is hilarious.

With the added bonus of the fanbase having to decide unanimously whether or not to murder a baby lol

makaveli60

Am I the only one to whom this sounds like a developer hyping up its game that is years away from releasing and then eventuslly containing nothing of the promises? Like from the 90's or early 00's.

Didn't Guerila say that there were no terms attached to the engine other than "share your improvements with us"? I think there's a sliver of a chance of it still coming to PC.

EnzoArt

Why? Back when Kojima left Konami, he said that his next game will be coming to PC after the PS4 release.

https://www.polygon.com/2015/12/16/10288004/kojima-productions-ps4-timed-exclusive-pc-release

I mean... I wouldn't be surprised if they'll announce a PC version someday.
That was before the deal changed.

I would be very surprised to see Sony sharing the First Party Game Engine, assisting in development, investing fully in game(DS), and after all effort to release to the PC, absolutely does not make any sense to me.

Cato

Banned
This would create a "No man's sky no multiplayer" level of outrage. I guess that with kojima everything goes.

Forever is a bit harsh and would get backlash.

However, lets just speculate.
Maybe they mean that multiplayer will be cancelled forever FOR ALL CURRENT EXISTING PLAYER CHARACTERS.
So once that happens none of your current characters can multiplay anymore.

However, a new global baby is instiated so if you create a NEW character, then that caracter will be able to do multiplayer,
until the cycle repeats.

Like how you destroy your save game in Nier and then restart from scratch. But here it is a cycle where you destroy multiplayer and then start a new cycle with new player characters etc.

That would be pretty cool. Again, just my speculation so the reality will likely be something completely different.

EDIT: Coincidentally, that kind of mechanics where you reset the multiplayer playerbase and prune all old characters would have solved some of the worst problems in MGS5
multiplayer where at some stage most of the platforms you invade are just ghosts, no resources, no soldiers, nothing. A platform that were long ago abandoned by its original owner/player.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Maybe they mean that multiplayer will be cancelled forever FOR ALL CURRENT EXISTING PLAYER CHARACTERS.

However, a new global baby is instiated so if you create a NEW character, then that caracter will be able to do multiplayer,
until the cycle repeats.

Like how you destroy your save game in Nier and then restart from scratch. But here it is a cycle where you destroy multiplayer and then start a new cycle with new player characters etc.

That would be pretty cool. Again, just my speculation so the reality will likely be something completely different.

EDIT: Coincidentally, that kind of mechanics where you reset the multiplayer playerbase and prune all old characters would have solved some of the worst problems in MGS5
multiplayer where at some stage most of the platforms you invade are just ghosts, no resources, no soldiers, nothing. A platform that were long ago abandoned by its original owner/player.

I guess it could work like season in Diablo 3...

nowhat

Didn't Guerila say that there were no terms attached to the engine other than "share your improvements with us"? I think there's a sliver of a chance of it still coming to PC.
They did - however, that's the official PR, behind the scenes I'm quite certain there's a more formal agreement that may include more stricter terms.

But more importantly, Decima sure as hell isn't built as a cross-platform engine, rather one built around the hardware features of PS4. That doesn't mean a PC port couldn't happen, but it's far from given/straightforward.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
If true, WTF are you doing, Kojima? Who asked multiplayer shit from an author of MGS, ZOE, Policenauts and Snatcher? Fuck, here's hoping it's not true.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
From 4chan:

Haven't seen the entire final cut yet. It will be a lot more of the same though. Trailer will end with Sam laying naked and lifeless on the beach. At this point Kojima will take the stage, start the ps4 controller and the light coming on the controller will sync up with the light on Sam's bracelet/handcuff. He will then stand up and we dive into gameplay. This is done as a continuous cut, at the end of the gameplay section we time travel backwards to the start of the trailer. We will see part of the trailer play out from the perspective of the player. The music the trailer is cut to will also sound as though its coming from off in the distance.

If i can be honest with you, its cool as fucking hell.

He will start the controller and it will be made to look like hes playing but its pre-recorded. The way Sony is doing their show this year makes it pretty easy to hide just due to setup and stuff. But that kind of thing isn't uncommon at E3 anyway.

I think what it's saying is that groups of players are allocated to a persistent server that you will always be logged back into and a global decision within that server will end that session for all players therein.

ExpandKong

Banned
I think what it's saying is that groups of players are allocated to a persistent server that you will always be logged back into and a global decision within that server will end that session for all players therein.

Whatever the case may be, one thing we can know for certain is that if the multiplayer is anything like MGSV’s “Disarmament” ending then it’s a moot point because most of the population will quit playing and trade the game in long before it can even get to that crucial point.

Top Bottom