• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding: Kojima Reveals How Donkey Kong Inspired Game and Preferred Madds over Keanu Reeves.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

During Comic-Con 2019, Death Stranding director Hideo Kojima took part in a panel meant to focus on his role as a storyteller. But during the panel, the video game auteur also gave fans some more info about his upcoming game, including the inspiration for some of the traversal elements in Death Stranding.

During the Hideo Kojima Comic-Con panel, the Death Stranding director explained that the ladder and rope being used as traversal items pays homage to the early days of gaming, where titles like Super Mario and Donkey Kong ruled. In these games, Kojima explained, players would ascend to new heights by ladder or rope and so he wanted to develop a game that had a similar approach, albeit with a futuristic slant.

Kojima doesn’t imagine that the bulk of Death Stranding is like Donkey Kong, but that one mechanic is adapted to a 3D space and inspired by those older games.

Interesting to see Keanu Reeves being targeted for games way before Cyberpunk 2077 🤔

Love the homage to Mario and Donkey Kong in terms of gameplay. I hope it's not too simplistic for today's standards though!

Starfield

Sorry but in the current time line having Keanu reeves will get you more buzz and hype than madds. While both are awesome actors only one of them is John fucking Wick.

Terenty

So i guess ropes and ladders are the only tools we will get to traverse the land...not sure i like the sound of it

WindomURL

If someone ever made a live action FFVI movie, Mads would make the perfect Kefka. His face and affect are just designed for that kind of thing, so not surprised at all.

mortal

Gold Member
So i guess ropes and ladders are the only tools we will get to traverse the land...not sure i like the sound of it
There are vehicles you can drive actually. Maybe some of them are customizable. I recall seeing the motorbike transform in the most recent trailer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom