• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think I'm going to change to hard difficutly, any downsides of doing this mid-game?

Negative. Been playing on hard since the beginning. It mainly impacts traversal and BT detection. You probably will not notice much if you have the mechanics down.

GymWolf

If you're talking about the
Cliff boss fight
then I disagree.
Agree to disagree then,
for me that boss fight and the shooting himself are mediocre at best, enemy falls down with ps1 era animation and ragdoll ffs...
I'm a kojima fan and mgs1 is my favourite game of all time but combat and shooting was never his forte even in his game with the best gameplay aka mgs5

Last edited:

GymWolf

They mentioned the oxytocin and dopamine high they get. I think it's the excitement of risking your life with BT's and other carriers to steal cargo in a time where it's either suicide through fear, or live in such a hellish world and make due. Thrill seeker pirates basically.
If i remember well the explanation is much simpler and less deep, like they enjoy the domanine or similar shit for the likes or for make a delivery, nothing about the risk of death or pirate thing like you said.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If i remember well the explanation is much simpler and less deep, like they enjoy the domanine or similar shit for the likes or for make a delivery, nothing about the risk of death of pirate thong like you said.

I just equate it to that, since thrill seeking IRL is a dopamine high for those that do it. Traveling out in a BT world and risking it all for that high, is a double whammy.

GymWolf

I just equate it to that, since thrill seeking IRL is a dopamine high for those that do it. Traveling out in a BT world and risking it all for that high, is a double whammy.
Yeah but the game doesn't specifically say that, not once if i remember well.
The thrill of death etc. Never get mentioned, but maybe a miss a line in some email, it's possible.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah but the game doesn't specifically say that, not once if i remember well.
The thrill of death etc. Never get mentioned, but maybe a miss a line in some email, it's possible.

Have some imagination, lol. That is my point. They are still risking their lives for a high, just as thrill seekers do.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Have some imagination, lol. That is my point. They are still risking their lives for a high, just as thrill seekers do.
Kojima has enough imagination for both him and me :messenger_tears_of_joy:

But yeah i can see that, i mean they really have to love their dopamine rush when i destroy their ass everytime...

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Kojima has enough imagination for both him and me :messenger_tears_of_joy:
181488.jpg

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Agree to disagree then,
for me that boss fight and the shooting himself are mediocre at best, enemy falls down with ps1 era animation and ragdoll ffs...
I'm a kojima fan and mgs1 is my favourite game of all time but combat and shooting was never his forte even in his game with the best gameplay aka mgs5

I don't want to be mean, but... you really are talking utter crap.

I'm sorry, but you are.

GymWolf

I don't want to be mean, but... you really are talking utter crap.

I'm sorry, but you are.
Maybe, ora maybe we have different ideas of what good shooting\gunplay is...
Maybe you missed all the negative or positive review when they say that boss fight and combat are medicore at best in this game...maybe it's a collective hallucination...
(Or maybe my english is not good enough to explain myself better)

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Maybe, ora maybe we have different ideas of what good shooting\gunplay is...
Maybe you missed all the negative or positive review when they say that boss fight and combat are medicore at best in this game...maybe it's a collective hallucination...
(Or maybe my english is not good enough to explain myself better)

PS1 era animation? That statement alone disqualifies your opinion.

GymWolf

PS1 era animation? That statement alone disqualifies your opinion.
Just to be clear, i'm talking when you put down enemies, they fall down in the same way, with rigid corpse and hilarious animation, i'm pretty nitpicky on these particular aspect of the gunplay, when you hit them the animation are ok i'm talking about what happen next.

And yeah, ps1 era without any form of ragdoll and with enemies that fall down with the same exact animation and rigid corpse are exactly what this game looks in some instances.
(Particularly noticeable with the shotgun)

I'm kinda of a crazy maniac when we talk about enemy reaction, dead animation, ragdoll etc so maybe i'm more subsceptible for these thing and the average gamer doesn't even notice, or care.

For me, those aspects are what define and sells a meaty and realistic gunplay.
And that's why i love the shooting in games like rdr2 even if aim system and cover are utter shit.

You look at how enemoes fall down in rdr2 and how they fall down in ds and you can clearly notice what i'm saying (but even compared with worst games without euphoria engine but with good dead animation and ragdoll the difference is noticeable).

Maybe ps1 era is little bit harsh but my vocabulary is not that deep so i was searching so!ething to make a comparison...

Last edited:

GymWolf

I am sorry GymWolf GymWolf but I have to agree with Clear here. Your statement is far from the truth and you exaggerated my friend
I'm trying to explain my point of view in another post with more details.
It's not something that 90% of players really care or notice if they like the game, for me is crystal clear because is the first thing i analyze in a game where you kill something.

I fucking love combat and shooting and i like the game a lot, what reason i have to lie??

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I'm trying to explain my point of view in another post with more details.
It's not something that 90% of players really care or notice if they like the game, for me is crystal clear because is the first thing i analyze in a game where you kill something.
I care and notice all that too believe me. Definitely not the best and also definitely not a PS1 era for sure. I understand what you're trying to say though

GymWolf

I care and notice all that too believe me. Definitely not the best and also definitely not a PS1 era for sure. I understand what you're trying to say though
I mean, max payne 2 or psi ops mindagate conspiracy on ps2 has better enemy reaction and ragdoll, that's why i say ps1 era, is the only era woth crappy death animation and without ragdoll, harsh to hear but kinda of a fact...
If you shoot with a shotgun in different parts or angle or proximity in mp2 you can bet that animation and ragdoll are gonna be more realistic than ds with the same weapon, that's what i'm saying
, and like i said before, i'm kinda of nitpicky maniac in these aspects :ROFLMAO:

With the machine gun is far less noticeable tho

Last edited:

GymWolf

Honestly, I don't think the game is that easy. If you treat stuff lightly you will get KO'd.
Most difficult i had was making the perfect route with 3-4 heavy delivery, combat is kinda piss easy if you are at least a little skilled with tps or actikn games tbh.

Bola gun is a beast and it's one shot one ko. (With the occasional kick in the balls for good measure)

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Most difficult i had was making the perfect route with 3-4 heavy delivery, combat is kinda piss easy if you are at least a little skilled with tps or actikn games tbh.

Bola gun is a beast and it's one shot one ko.

I'm skilled enough to have platinumed every Soulsborne game, Nioh to WotN, etc. Not saying I'm especially skilled, but I'm certainly no newbie and Death Stranding has taken me aback a few times with some very quick fails. Getting one-shotted by catchers, etc.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I'm skilled enough to have platinumed every Soulsborne game, Nioh to WotN, etc. Not saying I'm especially skilled, but I'm certainly now newbie and Death Stranding has taken me aback a few times with some very quick fails. Getting one-shotted by catchers, etc.
Catchers?

I mean yeah you can die sometimes but i'm not having particular challenge from the combat (but i play safe, rarely i do close melee combat with mules because they surrond you pretty fast and melee is kinda clunky also the fucking electric spears...)

Most fun i had with mules is where i run from them and they chase you with a car or throwing spears at you, it looks like a movie scene lol.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Honestly, I don't think the game is that easy. If you treat stuff lightly you will get KO'd.
That's a given. But it doesn't take much effort to not get KO'd.
Although, maybe if you try to play tactical it might be a bit more difficult, I suppose.

Anyway, my point was that there isn't anything that should scare people away from playing on hard. Unless you're a casual player, that is.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
Im only 10 hours in but it's already pretty impressive. If you find the beginning a little flat wait for the 7-10 hours mark as you start getting some nice new blueprints for motion , movement and attack.

The first cut scene with Troy Baker (when he speaks) is fire . I can't believe the game will only get better from there .

vpance

Just over 30 hrs in but only found 2 memory chips so far. They seem hard to spot. Can't remember if the scanner was able to detect them.

Wink

Agree to disagree then,
I don't see how the first point is super relevant to the feel of the shooting, but I have to agree in general that the segments in question are not especially fantastic purely from a mechanical standpoint and neither physics nor the feel of the gunplay can in any way compete with MGSV (the hit animations and impact as well as fluidity of shooting there is pretty great). I'm not terribly annoyed by it either, it's fine, an average implementation of third person shooter mechanics. It's such a minor part of the game that I can accept they had other priorities and a release date to keep.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Almost 30 hours in now and finally at what I think is the end of Episode 3.

I loved how
they gave a fucking nuke to transport and didn't tell you anything about what to do with it. I ended up figuring out through trial and error to toss it into the nearby lake.

Last edited by a moderator:

GymWolf

I don't see how the first point is super relevant to the feel of the shooting, but I have to agree in general that the segments in question are not especially fantastic purely from a mechanical standpoint and neither physics nor the feel of the gunplay can in any way compete with MGSV (the hit animations and impact as well as fluidity of shooting there is pretty great). I'm not terribly annoyed by it either, it's fine, an average implementation of third person shooter mechanics. It's such a minor part of the game that I can accept they had other priorities and a release date to keep.
yeah of course it's not a big problem because is not a major part of the game.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned

I loved how
they gave a fucking nuke to transport and didn't tell you anything about what to do with it. I ended up figuring out through trial and error to toss it into the nearby lake.
Are you sure? I knew right away what to do with it after meeting with Fragile IIRC.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Yes but you get it before Fragile and the game doesn’t tell you that you need to see Fragile
Holy shit, I was wondering if it was possible. Omg, how good would it have been to have just played it out that way coincidentally without knowing.

GymWolf

I loved how
higgs clearly says to you that you have to give the package to fragile, and before that die-hardman tells you that fragile wants to talk to you because fast travel doesn't work or something similar and he marks her position in the map

for me it was cristal clear tbh.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
It could be that you guys had some glitch. I somehow knew that I had to talk to her first.
Yeah might be that
Holy shit, I was wondering if it was possible. Omg, how good would it have been to have just played it out that way coincidentally without knowing.
I had to learn the hard way unfortunately
if you read the description of the item it tells to see fragile
I read it and it didn’t tell me anything

Last edited:

Clarissa

Banned
I enjoyed chapter 1. The atmosphere was really great and I quite enjoyed the gameplay loop. Its about a 7.5/10 for me.

Chapter 2 was a real slog to me. Delivery after delivery mission with no progress in the story. I was close to giving up. 4/10 for me.

I'm now at chapter 3 and I just got my Bolo gun. The story's getting interesting again and the change in location helps a little. Its an 8/10 for me so far in chapter 3.

Will things continue to get better? Will there be a chapter 2 slog again?

GymWolf

I enjoyed chapter 1. The atmosphere was really great and I quite enjoyed the gameplay loop. Its about a 7.5/10 for me.

Chapter 2 was a real slog to me. Delivery after delivery mission with no progress in the story. I was close to giving up. 4/10 for me.

I'm now at chapter 3 and I just got my Bolo gun. The story's getting interesting again and the change in location helps a little. Its an 8/10 for me so far in chapter 3.

Will things continue to get better? Will there be a chapter 2 slog again?
yep.

but i heard that chapter 5 is divisive, or you love it or you hate it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
higgs clearly says to you that you have to give the package to fragile, and before that die-hardman tells you that fragile wants to talk to you because fast travel doesn't work or something similar and he marks her position in the map

for me it was cristal clear tbh.

Huh, I remember die-hardman saying that she was waiting in South Knot City or something... maybe I misheard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Psykodad

Banned
yep.

but i heard that chapter 5 is divisive, or you love it or you hate it.
I'm at chapter 5 and I feel it's a bit like chapter 2.
Not too bad, but a bit of a drag.

Luckily chapter 3 opened up the gameplay in such a way that chapter 5 is more enjoyable though.

Wink

Refering to that Ch 3 spoiler discussed above, it does indeed say in the item description what to do (not the mission text, the actual piece of cargo's tiny text on the right side of the screen). I immediately thought about the Junk Dealer's request and didn't follow the intended path but went straight for the solution.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Huh, I remember die-hardman saying that she was waiting in South Knot City or something... maybe I misheard.
tbh i don't remember the exact chrohnology of the events.
i simply fallowed the instruction of higgs when he gives you the package and i had the location of fragile in the map becauese diehard man told where to go to see her and i make a mental 2+2=4

Shifty

I loved how
Classic Kojima :messenger_grinning::messenger_ok:

I figured that out because the junk dealer has a bunch of garbage next to his shelter that he asks you to dump in the tar lake.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Classic Kojima :messenger_grinning::messenger_ok:

I figured that out because the junk dealer has a bunch of garbage next to his shelter that he asks you to dump in the tar lake.

I never actually did that mission, but I got the idea from the email he sent me.

Top Bottom