• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

I just finished the opening to Episode 4. Damn, that whole sequence was cool.

I was pretty surprised when a plane crashed right into me and I managed to survive. Mads and his spooky skelly squad killed me a few times though

Terenty

So the stuff inside does not get damaged, only the container itself?

If so, then maybe it weakens the container which makes damaging the inside more susceptible if you fall or get attacked?

Yes, but what's the point of sprays, shelters and weather forecasts then? I haven't damaged cargo in my 20+ hours yet, because its almost impossible to fall.

The rain should totally ruin your cargo otherwise i cant see the reason for so many mechanics around it

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Well hellooooooo chapter 4!

wow this right here damn is this a good time. Some of the coolest cinematics ever done and this gameplay chefs kiss.

All this feels like the culmination of the experimental gameplay he first did in MGS3 with the sorrow. “Where am I?” It seems like WWII it could be the trenches of any 20th century conflict. it is hell on Earth. the reveal of the title characters name. Dang the slow burn of the reveal of his story is so dope. Ah I love it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes, but what's the point of sprays, shelters and weather forecasts then? I haven't damaged cargo in my 20+ hours yet, because its almost impossible to fall.

The rain should totally ruin your cargo otherwise i cant see the reason for so many mechanics around it

It ruins your equipment like grenades, etc., correct? And they have not “container” barrier like cargo does.

Don’t say impossible. I got smacked by a BT when the container was worn all the way down and it caused a good amount of damage to cargo I was delivering.

Couldn’t hold my breath forever, lol.

Barakov

Whats bothering you in chapter 5?
Mainly
going all the way to Mountain Knot City and then having Mama's sister going "LOL No" and then warping back to pick up Mama and carry her all the way back to Mountain Knot City. It just seems like the most annoying version of padding there is. I don't mind doing the walking, that's what's this game is, I just found it really obnoxious.

Terenty

After testing and playing the game for thousand hours how does such a thing never gets fine tuned?

What is the reasoning of making cargo immune to timefall? Where is tension in it, where is decision making etc. Why the hell would i want to build a shelter or use spray? There is no point in any of it.

Sorry for ranting, but such things just boggle the mind. It was a perfect opportunity to add strategic element to the game and it was squandered without any reason

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Question to those who finished the game. Do not open otherwise
is moon a lie? They talk quite a bit about it. Also - bb28 is just some bb right? All of the cliff memories are ours but how is bb28 alive at the end... It cant be sam child can it?

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
Question to those who finished the game. Do not open otherwise
is moon a lie? They talk quite a bit about it. Also - bb28 is just some bb right? All of the cliff memories are ours but how is bb28 alive at the end... It cant be sam child can it?
The moon is not a part of the game unless we count Amelie's beach. BB28 is another baby from project BB. Sam just took a risk and released it from the pod. And Louise survived.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
After testing and playing the game for thousand hours how does such a thing never gets fine tuned?

What is the reasoning of making cargo immune to timefall? Where is tension in it, where is decision making etc. Why the hell would i want to build a shelter or use spray? There is no point in any of it.

Sorry for ranting, but such things just boggle the mind. It was a perfect opportunity to add strategic element to the game and it was squandered without any reason

Dude, it's a risk mechanic. It's the same principle behind getting S ranks despite the time if you got perfect stealth in MGSV.

Kojima doesn't punish you for being slow if you're perfect, but if you screw up then it's all the worse.

Timefall ruins the container to increase stakes. That's all... Timefall also makes the surfaces harder to climb and walk with heavy loads.

You're not carrying heavy loads?

Last edited:
I am really strugling with mules.
Even if i drop my stuff off and hide in the bushes they always find me.
I can hide in the bushes and no one moves for the longest timw and then all of a suden they see me though i didnt move anything.

Any strategies?
If you got tons of stuff on your back they can spot you even if you are in tall grass.
Try holding your breath too.

Mainly
going all the way to Mountain Knot City and then having Mama's sister going "LOL No" and then warping back to pick up Mama and carry her all the way back to Mountain Knot City. It just seems like the most annoying version of padding there is. I don't mind doing the walking, that's what's this game is, I just found it really obnoxious.

I just got there and shut it down for the night. I looked at my map and it's 2477m. Jesus.

Keihart

Well you still have to do the first travel to connect the place at the chyral network and you give a choice to the player, like for example i don't wanna use the fast travel for story mission but for some secondary shit with a lot of backtracking it would be useful.

I think that with a proper fast travel, some of the negative reviews maybe they could've been slightly different (sorry for the terrible english, i'm the fucking worst with past and future shit) and a little more positive, it's always better have a choice especially in a game with a non-ordinary gameplay thst can bore some people.

You have to trust players if you really think that your gameplay loop is ok and give them the choice to use or not use the fast travel.
fuck compromising like that, it would take a lot of the reward in the effort it takes to complete this tasks and it would also make most of the game trivial since the game is going from place to place, there is very little on you arriving, is all about the journey.

Just fought a boss and it was terrible. These controls are not suited for combat.

Damn... I just want to go back to my deliveries. I have a couple of roads i need to complete.

I'm enjoying the story and i love the delivery gameplay loop. But right now I'm afraid of advancing the story because of boss fights.

Clarissa

Banned
A Silly question. What's the use of peeing??

I usually make Sam pee when his bladder has like 300-400ml of pee partly because I had bladder infection irl before so I don't want it to happen to my video-game character lol.

And what's with that mushroom thing that springs out when you pee in public?

I've always wanted to know what happens if you force him to hold his pee....

Also. Will there be anything happening if you keep eating cryptobiotes and don't take a shit for days in your private room? Anyone tried not shitting?

Terenty

Dude, it's a risk mechanic. It's the same principle behind getting S ranks despite the time if you got perfect stealth in MGSV.

Kojima doesn't punish you for being slow if you're perfect, but if you screw up then it's all the worse.

Timefall ruins the container to increase stakes. That's all... Timefall also makes the surfaces harder to climb and walk with heavy loads.

You're not carrying heavy loads?

That is another thing actually, i'm always getting S(awesome) ranks for my deliveries without doing anything extraordinary on my part. Like i dont even know what other ranks there are.

Isn't S rank supposed to be challenging for the player?

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
That is another thing actually, i'm always getting S(awesome) ranks for my deliveries without doing anything extraordinary on my part. Like i dont even know what other ranks there are.

In fairness MGSV S ranks were generally super easy too if you speedrun the mission. There are premium delivery challenges too.

JTCx

Finally finished the story.

Holy shit this is some mindblowing stuff. I'm still thinking about the story and trying to piece stuff together. This is really some good shit from Kojima.

Basically Kojima's Evangelion.

Bryank75

Banned
So, despite all the hate for Kojima and this game and scores so low that they must have been trolling from Giant bomb, Stevivor and IGN.... Death Stranding stands at a higher meta than Fallen Order and Pokemon or any other major new release. Also more 100's than any other game this year.

Would love to see it win GOTY.

GymWolf

fuck compromising like that, it would take a lot of the reward in the effort it takes to complete this tasks and it would also make most of the game trivial since the game is going from place to place, there is very little on you arriving, is all about the journey.
nodoby force to you to use fast travel if you don't want to use it, like nobody force people to use evocation to trivialize the dark souls saga, but they still insert that choice for you.

GymWolf

So, despite all the hate for Kojima and this game and scores so low that they must have been trolling from Giant bomb, Stevivor and IGN.... Death Stranding stands at a higher meta than Fallen Order and Pokemon or any other major new release. Also more 100's than any other game this year.

Would love to see it win GOTY.
isn't pokemon at 85 and fallen order 86? at least the last time i checked their score...

Roni

Gold Member

No, Legend of Legends is supposed to be hard.

Top Bottom