• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

Bryank75

Banned
"completed" the game, is there any story reason for playing episode 15, or do you just do random things now?
You can get the stars for maxing out shelters, collect remaining weapons, build roads and structures and do other random stuff.... yeah. That's pretty much the end game.

Clarissa

Banned
tFd2GNR.jpg

VCFmqAn.png

C1q8JOd.png

Roni

Gold Member
fully still in love w this game, 50 hours in and only at Chapter 5. i really want to just explore the entire world. gameplay is so much fun that i'm not in any hurry to see the storyline progress, ill have a few picturesque walks for me today, thanks!
I was the same, keep going like that man. It's paying off now in Chapter 9 due to all of the familiarity with the game.

This is art.
If you have Days Gone, you can now get a BB tank for your bike!

I bought Days Gone at launch but have yet to play it. I'll enjoy this a lot!

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
I had the best gameplay experience when things go south for any reason...

This is when Death Stranding shines, no doubt. You can sort of say this is the late game challenge for Death Stranding, what the game has been building you up to: how much risk are you willing to take?

It's each player's job to find their own limits and then shatter them!

Last edited:

Vol5

What would you want in DS2? My mind is already wandering with possibilities....

Day / Night Cycles. Sustenance creation. Better, more interesting bunkers. Better bike /game physics (In fact ditch the bike and make it a quad or something). More intelligent MULES, more / less combat?? Water based transport. Better strategy creation overall. Better loot.

I think being the first of a new IP, hopefully, Kojima Studios were only scratching the surface of what's possible.

Ok finally completed it. I loved chp 14!

But the previous chp or two were totally up its own ass. And needlessly drawn out lol. I guess Kojima was going for something epic but it didnt quite hit. Because it was too complicated and not emotionally plausible.

However, at least the final chapter was well executed and I felt more emotional connection there than the previous couple!

MVP of this game definitely BB for me!

Game is a 9/10 for me. Really enjoyed it. Even with its occasional stumblings. It is worth playing it for its highs!

Total play time: 57:17:04
Tumbles taken: 14
Orders Completed: 164

Last edited:

WindomURL

Game's got its hooks in me. Setting up networks of zips through rocky, bt infested regions and then racing through them, 300lbs of cargo in tow, is one of the most satisfying feelings, somewhat akin to the rush of dopamine that comes from discovering that shortcut back to a bonfire in Souls.

Tension, release. It's straight crackrock.

molasar

Banned

Day / Night Cycles. Sustenance creation. Better, more interesting bunkers. Better bike /game physics (In fact ditch the bike and make it a quad or something). More intelligent MULES, more / less combat?? Water based transport. Better strategy creation overall. Better loot.

I think being the first of a new IP, hopefully, Kojima Studios were only scratching the surface of what's possible.
It does not feel that another installment is necessary. Maybe some remake or reboot in 10 years with all new technologies and ideas.
I would rather have Kojima make a new IP after each game.

GymWolf

A little more combat
Far better combat both melee and ranged
New animation system, something like euphoria engine would be perfect for this type of game, sometimes when you fell animation are pretty clumsy amd gamey...
Far better boss fights
Far more challenge
Another writer, i love kojima but his writing really is subpar for 80% of the game
Better plot pacing without giant info dump at the end
Less mumbo jumbo with not-so-deep meaning like kojima thinks
Even more tools to explore
Rewarding exploration where you can find good shit outside of missions
More complicated stealth section both with humans and bts
Animals on screen with an ecosystem like rdr2
Far better handling for vehicles
Some other minor thimgs

Yeah have fun with 4 hub worlds and returning to your boring base again and again and again such a masterpiece by Hideous Kojima!
Well perhaps he is but that's how I felt about the game too. I dropped it. Want to go back and finish but it just seems so disjointed. I liked mgs2 style. Open world has been beAten to death. It ruined racers too (not to bait n switch.)

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Anyone know what’s the best way to improve chiral bandwidth? I get how it keeps going up whenever u make a successful delivery - does it change depending on your ranking? Or number of stars? I’m assuming it goes up until you max out the stars but could be mistaken.

Just wondering if anyone has compiled the data or done any deep dives into the whole delivery system and possible rewards.

Last edited:

WindomURL

Anyone know what’s the best way to improve chiral bandwidth? I get how it keeps going up whenever u make a successful delivery - does it change depending on your ranking? Or number of stars? I’m assuming it goes up until you max out the stars but could be mistaken.

Just wondering if anyone has compiled the data or done any deep dives into the whole delivery system and possible rewards.
It seems to come with additional stars up to the fifth, as far as I can tell, but there may be other ways that I've either not noticed or not found yet.

Keihart

fucking ziplines, i had a truck full of cargo ready for delivery, i though, ok just a quick trip and i'm out.
4 hours later...
still half way through my route because i started setting up ziplines to the harder to reach delivery spots.
hot damn this is good.

But the previous chp or two were totally up its own ass. And needlessly drawn out lol. I guess Kojima was going for something epic but it didnt quite hit. Because it was too complicated and not emotionally plausible.

However, at least the final chapter was well executed and I felt more emotional connection there than the previous couple!

Game is a 9/10 for me. Really enjoyed it. Even with its occasional stumblings. It is worth playing it for its highs!

Yup, totally my experience.
Chapters 12 & 13 ruined the game for me. I was so looking foward to loving the story and the characters... to not be able to wait for a sequel...
The boring monologues were fine in MGS4 because you were interested in the finale of a long story and favorite characters but here... whatever.
I’m still mad.

GymWolf

same for me.

RPGCrazied

Getting into the game more. I finally got the bike and lost it. Does it show up on the map anywhere? Can you recall it?

I must say the text in this game is painfully small.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
A little more combat
Far better combat both melee and ranged
New animation system, something like euphoria engine would be perfect for this type of game, sometimes when you fell animation are pretty clumsy amd gamey...
Far better boss fights
Far more challenge
Another writer, i love kojima but his writing really is subpar for 80% of the game
Better plot pacing without giant info dump at the end
Less mumbo jumbo with not-so-deep meaning like kojima thinks
Even more tools to explore
Rewarding exploration where you can find good shit outside of missions
More complicated stealth section both with humans and bts
Animals on screen with an ecosystem like rdr2
Far better handling for vehicles
Some other minor thimgs

Seems to me most of the stuff you want are all about a "stick" focused experience, and pretty much the polar opposite of what DS is all about.

DS really is a full-on exploration of a very particular concept and approach. It does the things it does, and doesn't do certain things for very particular reasons. I'm honestly unsure if there is a future for this style of game (I think probably not to be truthful) but I'm glad Kojima went out there and tried it.

GymWolf

Seems to me most of the stuff you want are all about a "stick" focused experience, and pretty much the polar opposite of what DS is all about.

DS really is a full-on exploration of a very particular concept and approach. It does the things it does, and doesn't do certain things for very particular reasons. I'm honestly unsure if there is a future for this style of game (I think probably not to be truthful) but I'm glad Kojima went out there and tried it.
nah i just want a better game overall with the same soul.
stuff like more combat doesn't mean a 50-50 split exploration-combat, more like 80-20 or 70-30, right now the game has a 95\90-10 split ratio.

also having better combat or stealth or animation or vehicle handling is what a sequel it's suppose to be, overall refinements on an already working formula.

if you want the same uber simple melee combat or the same simple and with almost zero challenge stealth or the same mechanically and unchallenging boss fight it's okay, personally i think the game has big room for improvements in almost every aspect.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
stuff like more combat doesn't mean a 50-50 split exploration-combat, more like 80-20 or 70-30, right now the game has a 95\90-10 split ratio.

also having better combat or stealth or animation or vehicle handling is what a sequel it's suppose to be, overall refinements on an already working formula.

if you want the same uber simple melee combat or the same simple and with almost zero challenge stealth or the same mechanically and unchallenging boss fight it's okay, personally i think the game has big room for improvements in almost every aspect.

Its funny that people call the combat in DS simplistic when its actually more complex than say RE2 Remake!

Seriously, that's a game where every boss fight is just run around and shoot too. Yet for some reason that's not considered boring or lackluster.

GymWolf

Its funny that people call the combat in DS simplistic when its actually more complex than say RE2 Remake!

Seriously, that's a game where every boss fight is just run around and shoot too. Yet for some reason that's not considered boring or lackluster.
i don't like re2 combat that much and i scored that game an 8 so i'm with you on that.

Keihart

Getting into the game more. I finally got the bike and lost it. Does it show up on the map anywhere? Can you recall it?

I must say the text in this game is painfully small.
i you do a scan with R1 and the bike is close it will sound like a car when deactivating the alarm.
You could also just install a watchtower in the general area where you suspect you left it, when you look with it, it will reveal all items an structures in its range.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
i don't like re2 combat that much and i scored that game an 8 so i'm with you on that.

Context and expectation is everything. People expected more MGS and instead got something more akin to survival horror, only without the classical spooky trappings.

Keihart

I think the combat is way better than it seems on the surface, i feel the game is kinda scared to make fighting too hard tho, so anybody can deal with just stunning enemies.
It has a lot of liberties not present in MGS just because of the concept of the controls.
You can make enemies lose balance, chain tackles and dodges, steal cargo at a distance and then use it as a weapon, jump over building or terrain to lose the enemies and or to stealth on them like a ninja, the games only lacks a couple of conveniences like a proper cover system to spy corners and hide more reliably and harder enemies, who take a long time to start becoming a proper threat. At the same time, you can just get toss on your ass if not careful, but you are not punished properly for it, enemies should take advantage when you drop on your ass like a clown.

BT combat could also be fixed making it harder, partially at least, because think that for all its boldness, it still afraid to ask too much from the player since the stakes are pretty high time wise. If BT combat was harder, all those mechanics could be way more important and come to light.
Like, plataforming is very central to the mini boss fights, but the game is super afraid to fuck you when you get trapped in the tar, i feel like there should also be something like a chain jumping mechanic. The double jump is great, but sometimes i wish you could chain jumps in a more organic way when jumping consecutively.

I would also would like a sequel to see the formula perfected, but if anything, i would like it to be even less orthodox and double down on that mix of physics and player controlled movement.

Last edited:

Terenty

Having played 50h so far (5th chapter), the biggest oversight is constant little cut scenes for every action you take in distribution centers and a goddamn cutscene every time theres a BT. Like every fucking time the game stops and shows me this fucking scanner turning blue. Its especially egregious when you are driving full speed on a highway which is supposed to be a safe space and they still stop the game and show me this shit. I even run off the road into a ditch because of that.

Maybe its not that bad if you are not actively trying to build all the roads, but still it shouldn't be like that.

Thank God i built all the roads, but one.

Last edited:
Having played 50h so far (5th chapter), the biggest oversight is constant little cut scenes for every action you take in distribution centers and a goddamn cutscene every time theres a BT. Like every fucking time the game stops and shows me this fucking scanner turning blue. Its especially egregious when you are driving full speed on a highway which is supposed to be a safe space and they still stop the game and show me this shit. I even run off the road into a ditch because of that.

Maybe its not that bad if you are not actively trying to build all the roads, but still it shouldn't be like that.

You can skip those except for the BT stuff.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Finished this last night. The first 25 hours were great. Traversal was fun, the world and story were interesting and they didn’t throw too many cutscenes at you at once. Combat is shitty, but could be avoided. I’d give the game a 9/10 at this point.

The last 15 hours really started to drag. You get stuck traversing the same small and annoying area for most of it. Then they just dump a shit ton of cutscenes on you for hours straight. That would be fine if the story was good, but it ended up being poorly written gibberish. The boss fights are trash. After beating the game my final score would be a 7/10.

One thing that came to mind, though I'd probably hate it, would be abandoned/overrun prepper/distribution centers (if the game was bigger like AC:Odyssey or something). Actual delving into a building itself, rather than just ruined ones above ground.

Imagine having to go into a BT infested prepper shelter to retrieve cargo. :D

Keihart

in the lore, it says that when BTs appear the time distortion stops all electronics from functioning or something like it, at least there is an explanation to it :messenger_grimmacing_

#Phonepunk#

Banned
It’s the first day of Thanksgiving holidays, it’s all cold and rainy outside, and I’m sneaking through forests of BTs with my BB at my side. Ah I love this so much this is the perfect rainy lazy Saturday game. Got a nice cup of Earl Gray and a packed bowl. This game is pure heaven!

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Episode 4 was 😮 after everything I had done up to that point. What a shift and with a very old school feeling
“boss battle”

I’m on 5 now and am AGAIN caught up in deliveries before going to meet Mama 😬

Last edited:

Terenty

Kojima is a great game designer, maybe the best in the business right now, but he can't write unfortunately imho.

I finished chapter
5, and everything related to Mama is rather cringeworthy and anime melodramatic. It was obvious Kojima wanted players to sympathise and cry, but it didnt work. For me at least.

Wish he stayed on the level of mgs tone wise

Last edited:
Which part are you referring to? I just finished the chapter earlier today.

the big whale at the end?

It's not a "real" boss fight but:

When you go to the volcano, if you get caught by BTs, you cannot leave and have to fight two of the dog...catchers (no pun intended). I had just gotten through raiding a few BT camps and felt fairly confident but got caught twice. First time I was really not prepared. So I save scummed and loaded up on hematic grenades/anti-BT gun/etc and destroyed them and got 2k chiral crystals

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's not a "real" boss fight but:

When you go to the volcano, if you get caught by BTs, you cannot leave and have to fight two of the dog...catchers (no pun intended). I had just gotten through raiding a few BT camps and felt fairly confident but got caught twice. First time I was really not prepared. So I save scummed and loaded up on hematic grenades/anti-BT gun/etc and destroyed them and got 2k chiral crystals

Oh, wow, I totally missed that. I might have to go back and do that encounter.

Lol, I just made a shelter outside of Heartman's place and went inside and there's Timefall Porter on the table instead of Monster? Nice.

The animations are different how he drinks too, awesome.

Last edited:
Top Bottom