• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

Kagero

Unfortunately it doesn't work/ Some shelters do not have option to pass time.
In my map 80% of shelters are like that.
There is no prompt for it either.
You hold square button down. Some shelters you’ll have to press and hold the square button down multiple times. Passing the time an hour or more.

JTCx

Sorry but how exactly? That was the moment when the game and Kojima "genius image" died for me...

Bridget and Amelie are the same person (known since the start of the game). She's not your real mother. Cliff is your father. You're his BB. Your BB is your daughter... It's like the worst indian soap opera.

Ummm yea, not quite.

Mista

Banned
Saw the Angry Joe review, he didn’t recommend it due to the gameplay which he gave I think 6 out of 10.

Personally I find the gameplay immensely fun. This is my favourite open world 3rd person game of all time. The gameplay is not lacking either, it is so so immersive and deep. It is always changing, as you explore and connect more and more places you are given a strand of tools continuously expanding traversal options.

GTA: SA I would put at no 2, and it succeeded so well at taking a player through pretty basic gameplay loops (travelling somewhere then doing x) using realistic gameplay immersion techniques and constantly upping traversal options. You begin that game manually peddling a bike and end it flying military aircraft & jet packs hovering over your mansion. That sense of progression is here and is just as satisfying. Even more so given that Death Stranding has seamless relatively low latency control scheme for a cinematic open worlder.

So I love the gameplay. Most games ignore traversal, you simply walk trough pretty scenery that has enemy assets placed in it. The gameplay happens when you encounter an enemy. Here, the world IS the enemy. It can harm you or even kill you if you don’t reconcile with it’s challenges. Luckily the game is all about bestowing a whole treasure box of options to use. 10/10 gameplay for me
Fuck this annoying prick. Like does he even fucking like anything? He’s always shouting like a moron and always moaning over everything. Fuck that piece of shit. Never liked him and never will. Don’t even know how people stands watching this cunt

FranXico

Fuck this annoying prick. Like does he even fucking like anything? He’s always shouting like a moron and always moaning over everything. Fuck that piece of shit. Never liked him and never will. Don’t even know how people stands watching this cunt
To be fair to Angry Joe, he was way more fair on the game than most critics who bashed it.

Just finished the game earlier today, allowed some time for it to sink in. I should've hated this game and if any of my friends ask me about it I will probably come off sounding like I hated it. However, it's probably my GOTY.

I felt it was overly pretentious and tedious many times during my experience. The boss battles and combat in general felt like a total inconvenience. Outside of the few times the game forces it, I never encountered BTs or Mules - I avoided them altogether in my 50 hrs playtime either by bee-lining through them or around them. Also I think babies are gross, period.

That being said, nothing compares to this game. The quiet, moment to moment feelings you get trekking the beautiful landscapes. Every successful step is a "win", because a wrong step will cost you so much frustration. Setting up the perfect zip line networks, building structures and using your equipment to master the world is so satisfying.

Knowing the game is just daring you to carry 250 lbs up that sheer mountain, when you could safely go around it. And you're like "Eff you game, I'm going straight up this bitch and when I get up there I'm planting a zipline and some ropes so other players don't have to deal with your bullshit like I did". There's way more to it than that but it's the best way I can describe it. When you get the notifications other players are using your stuff, it reinforces this.

I can't say I loved the game, but I'm glad I experienced it and stuck through it. I hope Kojima continues making whatever he wants because I want more AAA games that aren't like anything else. Now with that being said, I'm off to play Jedi Fallen Order. lol

GooseMan69

To be fair to Angry Joe, he was way more fair on the game than most critics who bashed it.

Dunkey review is terrible. Dude plays the game like a fucking idiot, as if any game wouldn’t look bad when you refuse to engage with it’s mechanics.

A lot of the reviewers remind me of that DSP guy who butchers every game he plays and then complains that it sucks (look up his MGS playthroughs, it’s fucking gold).

Not surprised that the jimquisition and dunkey crowd dumped on this game. They’re literally funded by negativity, after all. I’ve got nothing against them, that’s just what they do.

Despite the “angry” moniker, Joe is actually pretty fair most of the time. He’s definitely overly dramatic though, no doubt.

Last edited:

Holdfing

I like Dunkey, but it's frustrating when he plays a game wrong (yes, it is possible to play games wrong) and then says the game is shit. I hated Sekiro at first, realized I'm playing like a dumbass, readjusted and started loving it.

PSA: if you want to max your stars with a prepper, don't forget to take breaks and read your emails once in a while *wink wink*

imsosleepy

Dunkey review is terrible. Dude plays the game like a fucking idiot, as if any game wouldn’t look bad when you refuse to engage with it’s mechanics.

A lot of the reviewers remind me of that DSP guy who butchers every game he plays and then complains that it sucks (look up his MGS playthroughs, it’s fucking gold).

Not surprised that the jimquisition and dunkey crowd dumped on this game. They’re literally funded by negativity, after all. I’ve got nothing against them, that’s just what they do.

Despite the “angry” moniker, Joe is actually pretty fair most of the time. He’s definitely overly dramatic though, no doubt.

Yea joe is alot fairer in his review, and he just likes more action games thats why he gave it a 7, but stil had alot of positive things to say. Jim gets most of his viewers from negativity and death stranding was easy to shit on hard

iBeastSlayer-

Neo Member
The ending makes the whole thing comes together, holy shit. What a shame that only 9% goes to the end of it (yet)

I think many take their time to finish it and i’m fine with this. What a mess it will be to end the story before taking care without making some standard / premium deliveries, construct some roads, etc...

Last edited:

GymWolf

On the other hand, his brother, the other joe is pretty hilarious :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Dunkey review is right for some things like the cringe writing at times but when he show the silly falls from mountains etc. He looks like a 5 years old at his first experience in gaming.

I can literally make silly video where games looks like shit with all the 90+ metacritic score games of this gen.

Also what was the fun in the zelda climbing? Brainless press forward the stick with occasional drinking stamina potion from a fucking menu, so fun, so much skill involved...

Last edited:
The same people who watch classic meme clips from Cuphead and Doom and yell “LOL game urinalists amirite?!l” are now demonstrating their own special brand of incompetence by failing to understand the relatively simple gameplay concepts put forth by DS. The game gives you all the tools you need to get to your destination in one piece but a lot of people are completely disregarding them and instead trying to mindlessly brute force their way through everything.

I see these clips of people complaining about the game and there are a lot of glaring commonalities. So many players are always completely over-encumbered for no reason, taking the most impractical route imaginable while utilizing exactly zero of the equipment strapped to their back. They keep trying to scale mount everest bare-handed with 300kg of deadweight before spreading their arms like a professional soccer player and screaming “Why game no work!” and its just embarrassing to watch.

Its hard to make the point without getting into the usual git gud elitist territory. Obviously nobody is obligated to like the game. The core gameplay loop is not going to be everyone’s cup of tea and there are plenty of legitimate criticisms to be made regarding boss design and awkward writing, but if you’re legitimately finding the traversal mechanics to be somehow dysfunctional theres a pretty good chance that you’re just playing the game like a god damn retard.

Saruhashi

Banned
The same people who watch classic meme clips from Cuphead and Doom and yell “LOL game urinalists amirite?!l” are now demonstrating their own special brand of incompetence by failing to understand the relatively simple gameplay concepts put forth by DS. The game gives you all the tools you need to get to your destination in one piece but a lot of people are completely disregarding them and instead trying to mindlessly brute force their way through everything.

I see these clips of people complaining about the game and there are a lot of glaring commonalities. So many players are always completely over-encumbered for no reason, taking the most impractical route imaginable while utilizing exactly zero of the equipment strapped to their back. They keep trying to scale mount everest bare-handed with 300kg of deadweight before spreading their arms like a professional soccer player and screaming “Why game no work!” and its just embarrassing to watch.

Its hard to make the point without getting into the usual git gud elitist territory. Obviously nobody is obligated to like the game. The core gameplay loop is not going to be everyone’s cup of tea and there are plenty of legitimate criticisms to be made regarding boss design and awkward writing, but if you’re legitimately finding the traversal mechanics to be somehow dysfunctional theres a pretty good chance that you’re just playing the game like a god damn retard.

This is generally how I feel too.

I totally understand why people are not enamored by Kojima. He talks a load of old bollocks sometimes and he does have a fawning fanbase that can indeed be annoying.

Buuuuuuuut! Having played the game, and looking forward to taking my time playing through it until the end, I would have to say that some of the criticisms are coming from not really understanding the game. I am not saying they are too dumb to "get" the game or that the game is some high IQ masterpiece that only geniuses can understand. I am saying that they have approached the game with an attitude of "OK entertain me" and putting in minimal effort to actually get to know the game and it's mechanics etc.

This is combined with a weird vitriol that us usually only reserved for broken or micro-transaction laden games. People seem to just hate on the game because there is a big Kojima fanbase out there. They've convinced themselves that since they don't like the game the only way you could possibly like it is to be delusional or something.

When this game was released how many posters on here were low post count newcomers, or people who hadn't posted anything at all for ages, who showed up just to slam on the game? "The game is boring garbage but Kojima fanboys love it anyway". Etc etc.

One of the things I have always said regarding criticism of this game is that A LOT of people have a very clear and specific view of what they think a videogame should be and when something comes along that is not that thing they are not able to accept it on it's own terms.

If you can make the argument that Kojima has blind fans who will praise anything then I think you can also make the argument that there are plenty of people who were never willing to give the game a fair shake.

That's before you even get to people who think they can somehow rationally and logically "prove" that the game is bad. So when someone says "wow the game world just looks amazing" you always have some dipshit showing up to say "haha it's just rocks mountains and sky what's so amazing about that".

I think mostly though it's just disagreement on what kind of experience a videogame should provide. I think if you are willing to sit down and learn the mechanics and then actively engage with the game then it's a better experience than if you want to just grab the controller and follow the waypoints and get right into the game right away and just be thrown right into action with loads of things going on and loads of options.

Like how a major complaint about BotW's weapon durability system or the fact that you can't climb during rain was that "it get's in the way of me just playing the game" but the intent of the developers was that it would stop you from just playing the game one particular way.

Death Stranding felt more like "listen you are going to be here for 50 hours so lets ease you into the game and let you take your time". This is not the same as a lot of other games. Definitely not like most AAA experiences.

Sometimes it feels like the thought process for some of these reviews and criticisms is "here is what I wanted the game to be and here is what the game actually is" and the score reflects the difference between those two points. So if you went into Death Stranding looking for really intense combat where you'd be raiding outposts and shooting up the place or sneaking through the place then it's a "boring" game because it's not the game you wanted.

The fact that it's Kojima doesn't help because I feel like there is a friction there where Kojima is actually quite outspoken regarding his games and his opinions on gaming and a lot of these Youtube personalities are equally outspoken. So disagreement looks like this situation where they totally slam the game and slam Kojima for daring to think differently.

I think a lot of people did not give the game a fair chance and instead opted to make it more of a performance about how much they think the game sucks.

Mista

Banned
mfdMZd7.jpg

LokusAbriss

RIght at the beginning of Chapter 14 now. Not once was I bored. But sometimes you just want to reach your destination. So, in fact, it can be a bit tiresome. But never boring! There are always factors that work against you, that you have to beat or overcome. Either it is BTs, Mules, weather, terrain, your dumb mistakes or all together at once.

Not everyone likes or understands this game. Really no problem with that. Ridiculous reviews wont stop me enjoying Death Stranding. I wonder if there are players who shoot their way through the game and create constant void-outs. Doesnt matter, I am having fun.

I just wish there would be more freedom and more engagement with other players. Imagine the loads you could deliver together in a coop scenario (okay that sounds wrong). Death Stranding would be absolutely perfect for some form of paragliding. A rope that you could shoot upwards would also be nice! Kojima should give us some more stuff to play around with.

I wasn’t sure what to think about this game from all the polarized opinions out there but I finally got to check it out myself and I think it’s fantastic. I’m at a point in my life where a game like this (so far) is really what I like.

The story is confusing as shit but has me interested and I really like the bit of gameplay that I’ve gotten so far.

The hiking mechanics are really cool so far and it actually nails that feeling of grabbing your pack when things are getting to be a bit much. Like a good sports game nails the animations and feel, this does that for hiking in my opinion.

The beautiful graphics and landscapes are great eye candy too for a graphics whore like me.

I just finished the intro to Chapter 1Bridget AKA “Mom” and I am really curious about what the hell is REALLY going on. I had to stop before I leave to go on my “disposal” mission right after the cutscenes and I can’t wait to check out more soon!

I went into this almost completely blind aside from some of the story trailers so I have no idea what’s coming up. It’s refreshing!!

Somebody spoiled you a game or you are a visionary? Cliff is a biological Sam's father and his mother was brain dead. Sam's daughter died in a voidout.

There is some information in...
Lucy's log about being pregnant 28 weeks with a daughter named Louise who also has DOOMs due Sam's genetics. And what number is your BB? Yup, BB-28. Yes, I know they say Louise died with her mother in the voidout, but the scene after the final final credits loses its significance if it's just about the name.

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
There is some information in...
Lucy's log about being pregnant 28 weeks with a daughter named Louise who also has DOOMs due Sam's genetics. And what number is your BB? Yup, BB-28. Yes, I know they say Louise died with her mother in the voidout, but the scene after the final final credits loses its significance if it's just about the name.

Does it? I don't think it's actually his daughter. But he saved her from the pod and raises her as his daughter now - and gave her the name Louise. A beautiful ending.

GymWolf

Brute forcing in this game is pretty fun.
It adds challenge and tension to an otherwise pretty simple and easy game on my eyes.

I had the best gameplay experience when things go south for any reason...

Last edited:

Keihart

Still in chapter 3, maybe towards the end of it, more than 60 hours in already...WTF is wrong with me, is like Kojipro made a game with the same meta game of mother base in Peace Walker as the main loop, so there is always that feel of progression and micro management to it. But unlike PW, here that micromanagement is the core of the game.

I'm having a really good time with it, but i can imagine how horrible must be if you just want to get to the end as fast as possible, the game makes a point out of making traversing a chore but it feels so rewarding because of it when you start progressing and making it easier o faster or anything.

I've found some very annoying invisible walls, but all in all there have also being a lot of moments when i ask myself "maybe i can...?" and then i actually can, i love those moments in games.
it spoils a weapon but it's only chapter 3 so here:

Last edited:

GooseMan69

Yes. People don’t want to hear it, but I’ve noticed a lot of the negative reviewers failing to grasp the game’s mechanics. People who actually grasped the gameplay mechanics are baffled because it’s like

Why are you carrying a giant tower of cargo?

Why are you trying to drive a bike on a giant rock bed?

Why are you trying to sprint up a giant slope?

Why aren’t you using your tools?

The game is pretty fucking clear about all of this.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
fully still in love w this game, 50 hours in and only at Chapter 5. i really want to just explore the entire world. gameplay is so much fun that i'm not in any hurry to see the storyline progress, ill have a few picturesque walks for me today, thanks!

Terenty

I asked it before and someone already answered, but i'm still wondering if roads can be completed by other players, did it really happen to anybody?

I spent quite a lot of time building roads today, but all the nods were built for like 30% resource wise and always had 3 persons listed as contributors. The rest i had to gather myself and honestly got tired of it.

I still have 3 roads to finish. It would be cool if next time i turn on the game they are already built, but that never happens

draliko

What a roller-coaster... Just finished it... That was simply beautiful... Damn I don't know what to say... What a ride, amazing, convoluted at first but the gran finale explains nearly everything. Guys if you're struggling do a favor to yourself and keep strong till the end, you won't regret it. Probably gotg for me (unsure about this or nier sincerely) goty for sure... I love those weird japs, sony pls keep them coming :)

draliko

I asked it before and someone already answered, but i'm still wondering if roads can be completed by other players, did it really happen to anybody?

I spent quite a lot of time building roads today, but all the nods were built for like 30% resource wise and always had 3 persons listed as contributors. The rest i had to gather myself and honestly got tired of it.

I still have 3 roads to finish. It would be cool if next time i turn on the game they are already built, but that never happens
Yes they can complete them, appended a couple of times to me, after completing some milestone it showed me the roads completed by others, I think there is some system in place to avoid to make the game too easy and having people build too much stuff for you

recma12

YUP
It's actually one of the most straightforward games I've played in a while (gameplay-wise).

You can take out an outpost in Far Cry (3,4,5) where you have to perform stealth, parkour and combat moves (multiple weapons, reloads, traps, grenades)
BUT you don't understand that a 3 metre tower of cargo won't fit under a 2m doorway?
Yeah, right Dunkey.

GymWolf

Still in chapter 3, maybe towards the end of it, more than 60 hours in already...WTF is wrong with me, is like Kojipro made a game with the same meta game of mother base in Peace Walker as the main loop, so there is always that feel of progression and micro management to it. But unlike PW, here that micromanagement is the core of the game.

I'm having a really good time with it, but i can imagine how horrible must be if you just want to get to the end as fast as possible, the game makes a point out of making traversing a chore but it feels so rewarding because of it when you start progressing and making it easier o faster or anything.

I've found some very annoying invisible walls, but all in all there have also being a lot of moments when i ask myself "maybe i can...?" and then i actually can, i love those moments in games.
it spoils a weapon but it's only chapter 3 so here:

Why are you covered in strawberry jam??

GymWolf

Yes. People don’t want to hear it, but I’ve noticed a lot of the negative reviewers failing to grasp the game’s mechanics. People who actually grasped the gameplay mechanics are baffled because it’s like

Reviewers being a bunch of unskilled guys, what a shock...

Keihart

So...i just got some of the mods after getting 5 stars between lake knot and south knot and damn,
speed skeleton with chiral boots and extra battery, you start to get into super hero territory pretty fast.

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
Finished the game after 45 hours... what a ride, what an emotional journey.
Cliff's backstory, the big reveal and the beautiful rendition of BB's theme. That was just the ultimate package.
My first daughter will be born in about a month, that made the emotional gut punch so much more painful.
At least now I know what song I'm gonna sing to her every night.

Last edited:
Top Bottom