• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

Mista

Banned
One thing I really want to complain about is other players putting stuff in your way. Mainly vehicles. At the moment I'm trying to 5 star the cosplayer's shelter and some piece of shit intentionally jammed their truck in the entrance so you can't get in. I've got in the truck and jumped, reversed and moved like crazy but I still can't get it out.

Fuck you to whoever did it. I hope a BT drags you into the abyss while a mule sticks an electrical rod up your cargo chute.
Pisses me off too. I don’t understand online vehicles like are they there how the players left them or does the game puts them there for you so you can access them easily. It’s weird..

Shrap

Pisses me off too. I don’t understand online vehicles like are they there how the players left them or does the game puts them there for you so you can access them easily. It’s weird..
It's where they leave them which is why people can be scumbags and put them in your way. So many leave them right in front of the delivery terminals and block entrances or leave them in the middle of the road.

That guy wedging his truck in the cosplayers entrance took the asshole cake for sure.

Last edited:

Pidull

The magic of this game finally hit me at Episode 4.

Episode 1 I was intrigued.

Episode 2 it started to be too simple, so I rushed through it. Not enough happens.

Episode 3 I fell in love with the additional mechanics, but unintentionally began spending way too much time accomplishing too little. I started to lose interest here but the end with Fragile... Great shit.

Episode 4 was incredibly cool, they must have spent a lot of time working on it's short but sweet features.

Episode 5 starting now, still equally interested. Went from disinterest in Mama to very interested in her. Really loving the stream of new items and abilities.

I don't think anyone should waste time with the side content in this game, just stick with the main story. Unlike MGSV in which side missions were a blast due to the emergent game design, that emergent game design doesn't quite hit its mark in Death Stranding.

imsosleepy

The magic of this game finally hit me at Episode 4.

Episode 1 I was intrigued.

Episode 2 it started to be too simple, so I rushed through it. Not enough happens.

Episode 3 I fell in love with the additional mechanics, but unintentionally began spending way too much time accomplishing too little. I started to lose interest here but the end with Fragile... Great shit.

Episode 4 was incredibly cool, they must have spent a lot of time working on it's short but sweet features.

Episode 5 starting now, still equally interested. Went from disinterest in Mama to very interested in her. Really loving the stream of new items and abilities.

I don't think anyone should waste time with the side content in this game, just stick with the main story. Unlike MGSV in which side missions were a blast due to the emergent game design, that emergent game design doesn't quite hit its mark in Death Stranding.
Reading this I really wished Sony would have let reviewers talk more about other chapters and reviewers would talk about each chapters because you cant compare episode 1 to episode 3, just so many new mechanics and anything that happend after chapter 3 was forbidden to talk about. Think that was a mistake.

thanks for that! Nice to hear what others think about each chapters!

Just hit the fragile part in chapter 3 and dam I'm so invested in this world. very wel done!

I've got this game en route and I'm stoked to play it. Reviews had me tepid on it, but reading impressions from folks around the net as well as receiving a text from my lifelong best friend that the game is now a GOAT nominee of his (alongside Breath of the Wild and Final Fantasy VII, no less) has really put me in the mood to make some gods damned deliveries.

Barakov

Just beat it. And I'm kinda glad it's over. I thought the story was pretty good and I won't say I didn't like the gameplay but I think the game overstayed it's welcome by about 15 hours. Chapters 5-8 are the ones that really irritated me. Still the ending was the one thing I felt that they nailed very well.
It gives a nice amount of closure for every one so I have to give Kojima and Co. props for that.

I have no desire to do the extra stuff since I have other videogames to play. Hopefully, the next go around Kojima gives something a little more traditional.

GymWolf

Just beat it. And I'm kinda glad it's over. I thought the story was pretty good and I won't say I didn't like the gameplay but I think the game overstayed it's welcome by about 15 hours. Chapters 5-8 are the ones that really irritated me. Still the ending was the one thing I felt that they nailed very well.
It gives a nice amount of closure for every one so I have to give Kojima and Co. props for that.

I have no desire to do the extra stuff since I have other videogames to play. Hopefully, the next go around Kojima gives something a little more traditional.
The opposite for me, i'm finding the plot pretty confusing and not near the best we saw in the best mgs game, but i'm kinda loving the gameplay loop quite a bit.

I'm on chapter 12 right now so maybe the gran finale is where the plot get to shine but it's a little bit too late.

-Arcadia-

Banned
One thing I really want to complain about is other players putting stuff in your way. Mainly vehicles. At the moment I'm trying to 5 star the cosplayer's shelter and some piece of shit intentionally jammed their truck in the entrance so you can't get in. I've got in the truck and jumped, reversed and moved like crazy but I still can't get it out.

Fuck you to whoever did it. I hope a BT drags you into the abyss while a mule sticks an electrical rod up your cargo chute.

I laughed a little bit. It’s at least creative trolling. I do understand the frustration, though, and hopefully something like the option to disassemble structures, is applied to the vehicles, which seems like a simple enough update.

Roni

Gold Member
Played some more yesterday and reached Chapter 8. Absolutely loved Chapter 6 and the twist it throws at you for the entire chapter. Didn't think we'd ever play the game like that, at least not until the very end! Chapter 7 was bonkers good too. Now I'm @ Chapter 8...

By now, BT's are easier to avoid.... However, if I do get caught, I'll face a much tougher fight. I actually died in a BT fight for the first time in Chapter 8 because
there were 2 enemies, almost no buildings to stand on and I wasn't using a Speed skeleton!

Last edited:

nowhat

Huh, I'm wondering if we share(d) the same game world. I noticed the same at the Cosplayer's - wasn't making a delivery though, was just passing by, but still found it irritating.

There definitely should be an option to dismantle vehicles too. As a matter fact - when dismantling structures, the player only affects his own world, in effect making it harder. Shouldn't there be some kind of reward in terms of getting resources (metals, ceramics, whatnot) back in return?

Coconutt

I don't think people are doing that to be malicious. The only way to deliver stuff directly from your vehicle to some of the stations is to literally park your vehicle right at the entrance, otherwise the player will need to equip all necessary orders from vehicle to yourself.

Coconutt

The opposite for me, i'm finding the plot pretty confusing and not near the best we saw in the best mgs game, but i'm kinda loving the gameplay loop quite a bit.

I'm on chapter 12 right now so maybe the gran finale is where the plot get to shine but it's a little bit too late.

They explain a huge chunk of the plot by the end, basically hand holds you and tells you everything relevant to the story and how it all connects, that should clear up your confusion.

Terenty

Ok i mist be stupid but where is
the hat that Conan gives you to swim? I cant find it in my inventory

Roni

Gold Member
It's alongside your cap, glasses and other stuff in the upper inventory. Hold up the D-Pad and look for it there.

Upper Inventory is cosmetics and Odradek powers...
Right Inventory is tools
Left inventory is health & self-care
Bottom Inventory hasn't unlocked for me yet...

Last edited:

Kagero

I believe it's appended to the directional pad. Maybe up? Slightly related., It was during a very touching cut scene towards the end of the game. When it's not raining Norman wears it down I guess, and you sometimes can't tell he has it on. Anyway, there was a lot of crying and the scene was very emotional. I had forgotten to take it off, and the camera pans around and all i see is this stupid otter head all folded up behind my neck. Broke the immersion complete :|

#Phonepunk#

Banned
How do u find the number of hours played? I saved but it only shows me the time I saved at. Opening the data log doesn’t work either it’s empty.

Holdfing

Does anyone know how the ranking system works? Completing deliveries for the guy on top of the mountain sometimes gives no progress towards stars, even with legend of legends rank, and there's not a lot of quests for him. Also really annoying to get to.

It's alongside your cap, glasses and other stuff in the upper inventory. Hold up the D-Pad and look for it there.

Upper Inventory is cosmetics and Odradek powers...
Right Inventory is tools
Left inventory is health & self-care
Bottom Inventory hasn't unlocked for me yet...

I think that's only used to switch between building options for the PCC.

Shrap

I don't think people are doing that to be malicious. The only way to deliver stuff directly from your vehicle to some of the stations is to literally park your vehicle right at the entrance, otherwise the player will need to equip all necessary orders from vehicle to yourself.
Nah, this guy wedged his truck in side ways between the rocks with the drivers door away from the terminal so you can't actually access it and can't move the truck out. Absolutely intentional trolling. It's all good though - I found some lost delivery cargo of his on the road so I ran over it twice to make sure it was destroyed and then threw it in the river. Take that motherfucker.

Last edited:

Coconutt

Nah, this guy wedged his truck in side ways between the rocks with the drivers door away from the terminal so you can't actually access it and can't move the truck out. Absolutely intentional trolling. It's all good though - I found some lost delivery cargo of his on the road so I ran over it twice to make sure it was destroyed and then threw it in the river. Take that motherfucker.

Ah ok I haven't come across that luckily, usually there's a space big enough for me to get to the terminal without having to move the truck itself.

Roni

Gold Member
You can find headphones in the game and then play music? What? Dope!
I'd assume. Playing music while in-game was something in MGSV and it's strangely absent in Death Stranding. And you can already play music in the private rooms. I believe we'll eventually unlock a way to listen to songs on the go. But must be an end-game thing.

I haven't unlocked it myself and I also haven't looked. But I'd wager there's something like that in the game.

I think that's only used to switch between building options for the PCC.

Ah, yes... I had forgotten about that. That's it. Thanks!

Last edited:

Shrap

3PAzcbh.jpg

ziBEVyK.jpg

You can call me the chiral gold porter pimp. I've even got them golden boots.

imsosleepy

wow, wow, wow
that chapter 4 beginning is just woa

I also wonder how many reviewers quit playing right before the end of chapter 3 due to not being smart enough
Cozz it took me a while to realise what was going on lmao

Last edited:
I am in
chapter 9
now and the game just keeps getting better for me.

First 8hrs or so I felt it was a 8.5. But now I am feeling like a 9.5 and likely my goty!

It is the gameplay that has its hooks in me, not the story. The core loop of delivering stuff, getting better gear, building & leveling up stuff, helping other players. It is like crack for me.

I feel like this is gonna be one of those long term classics like Demon's Souls. Which was also divisive with reviewers, but ultimately started a new genre of games. I am completely onboard with this Strand genre of game!

Some of the best and useful gear you won't get without doing side stuff and ranking up the relationships.

I can already tell from reading some reviewers that mainlined it that they did not have the useful stuff that make later areas less frustrating.

Terenty

The fuck is going on with metacritics score? Its 5.9 user with 13000 votes. Uncharted 4 has 9000 in 3.5 years.

The trolling campaign is unprecedented at this point.

And yes its absolutely trolling, look at all the 0 written reviews, they look generated by a programm

Psykodad

Banned
The fuck is going on with metacritics score? Its 5.9 user with 13000 votes. Uncharted 4 has 9000 in 3.5 years.

The trolling campaign is unprecedented at this point.

And yes its absolutely trolling, look at all the 0 written reviews, they look generated by a programm
Xbox is dying and DS is one of the highest profile games in recent years, not on Xbox.

TheBoss1

Hey it's me, the truck driver.

All jokes aside this is something I'd do just to piss someone off. Please forgive me in advance when I reach this far.

Pidull

Some of the best and useful gear you won't get without doing side stuff and ranking up the relationships.

I can already tell from reading some reviewers that mainlined it that they did not have the useful stuff that make later areas less frustrating.
That's a good point, there are a ton of upgrades thanks to the side orders. Plus the weight limit increases you get by increasing your rank.

To be fair, much of that may still be possible to get by taking extra orders you can complete on the way.

vpance

Driving the truck off road around the southern part of chap 3 along the rivers, hills and such was kinda cool, delivering massive amounts of cargo.

The whole chap 3 map is designed very well. Feel like getting a few more 5 star ratings before moving on.

Shifty

I wonder if the (Chapter 9 End) rocket launcher would help with clearing out van blockades 🤔

Do your fellow porters a service: Blow that shit up.

Last edited:

Ovech-King

Gold Member
So ... If I followed this very intricate plot correctly , Cliff
wants his god damn baby ? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

D-Dude

So... I'm in chapter 5
transporting mama
buuuttt, do I have to walk al that way? I see ziplines everywhere, but cannot use them?

Roni

Gold Member
So... I'm in chapter 5
transporting mama
buuuttt, do I have to walk al that way? I see ziplines everywhere, but cannot use them?
I went through the mountains for time, but you could take a vehicle around.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The thing about Ziplines is they are mainly useful only once the target location is on the network, so they don't really help during the initial pioneering explorations. Getting around on foot generally isn't too bad though, especially if you bother to try and plot an optimal route in advance.

Tipton32

I think I’m about to enter chapter 3 heading to port knot city. I suck at avoiding BTs so hard. Been looking up tips and understand it a bit better, but could use some help if anyone on GAF has any advice.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think I’m about to enter chapter 3 heading to port knot city. I suck at avoiding BTs so hard. Been looking up tips and understand it a bit better, but could use some help if anyone on GAF has any advice.

Hold your breath and sneak. All else fails, run your ass off!

Top Bottom