• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"DEATHLOOP" |OT| Down the rabbit hole, everyone's a winner

leo-j

Question. So I am very interested in this game. I loved returnal. Loved demons souls. And love FPS games like bioshock and KZ.
How’s the dual sense support compared to ratchet and clank? Is the game worth the price of admission? Is there multiplayer and is the game lengthy?

R6Rider

Gold Member
Question. So I am very interested in this game. I loved returnal. Loved demons souls. And love FPS games like bioshock and KZ.
How’s the dual sense support compared to ratchet and clank? Is the game worth the price of admission? Is there multiplayer and is the game lengthy?
I can't compare the dualsense to R&C as I haven't played it yet. I have played Astro's Playroom, Wreckfest, and a handful of shooters that use the features well. Deathloop uses them good overall, although if you don't like having L2 being resistant when you ADS then you'll probably want it off. It's great for dual wielding and gun jamming though and the haptics are nice.

Value is subjective, but for me it's an easy yes. I'm having a blast (I've only put 4 hour in so far) and can't wait to play more after work. And yes to answer the multiplayer question there is a PVP element of having another player invade you or you invading another player that works perfectly with the game loop.

If you simply want to play through the game once it will probably take around 14 hours (according to HLTB) but you can get more replay value out of it easily and continue to invade people for fun (there are 50 ranks to reach).

FunkMiller

Holy shit, this game is as fun as fuck.

I’m loving the investigation/puzzle/exploration angle. Uncovering more and more stuff about the island’s lore, the visionaries, and Colt’s part in it all is great.

The residuum mechanic is brilliantly done too.

This is in no way an FPS. Anyone looking for that kind of thing should go elsewhere. It’s a mystery box investigation game, with loads to uncover.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Ted Danson Yes GIF by The Good Place

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

I’m loving the investigation/puzzle/exploration angle. Uncovering more and more stuff about the island’s lore, the visionaries, and Colt’s part in it all is great.

The residuum mechanic is brilliantly done too.

This is in no way an FPS. Anyone looking for that kind of thing should go elsewhere. It’s a mystery box investigation game, with loads to uncover.

is it better to go stealth or guns blazing?

im still early on but overly cautious due to my experience with rogue lites…prefer action to stealth, though

Last edited:

FunkMiller

is it better to go stealth or guns blazing?

im still early on but overly cautious due to my experience with rogue lites…prefer action to stealth, though

Stealthing for me. Your health pool is pretty low, and losing a shit load of residuum is never fun. The gunplay isn’t good enough to justify guns blazing to me either, which I think is deliberate. I have infused the nail gun with trinkets, which means I can go stealthy from the word go. It’s easier when you’re headed to specific locations to further an investigation strand, and don’t want to wade through npcs to get there.

I have yet to have my loop ended by an invader and 90% of the time I kill them before they can kill me (take 1 of my lives) or even *see* me lol. Always get a slab/slab upgrade + purple tier gun, not to mention the 10K residium, you very much *want* to be invaded.

Both stealth and Rambo are very viable options, I play depending on my mood or the situation. I've smoked through huge groups of enemies, slab that grants increases dmg and reduces incoming dmg can be very useful here (and has a trophy referencing DOOM associated with it, cool stuff). Nail gun was handy early on but once you find a purple tier silenced SMG and kit that out with trinkets it becomes obsolete.

Don't sleep on the NEXUS slab, linking up entire groups of enemies and seeing them all fall with a single, silenced headshot it everything. Pound for pound AETHER is probably the best slab overall, many situations where it comes in handy and super powerful in PvP if used right, I had back to back invasions where I took out the invader with a single headshot and they had no idea where I was, running around the map, scouting from the top of a building, I'm just sitting in my nest waiting for my opportunity and BOOM, cherry pie 👌.

EDIT: forgot to add, I'm 15 hours in and nowhere near finishing a loop with all visionaries killed. If you're taking your time, fully exploring then this could easily be a 25-30 hour game to "finish", 50 hours to "complete". I don't get people who try to rush to the end and miss out on half the game, enjoy what you bought, there's a whole lot of goodness here.

Last edited:

Notabueno

Banned
I tried Deathloop with a colleague and I feel it's amazing (though the dumb ai is off-putting). Granted it has performance issues for some people, can we talk about the real reason why it's being reviewbombed that much on Metacritic?

AtRwI6U.png

MaKTaiL

I'm about 25h into the game and I feel like enemy AI is getting significantly harder the more I play. I used to sneak like a boss (without invisibility) and now enemies seem to notice me faster and have a wider cone of view. I might be crazy but that's what I've been noticing.

I switched from performance mode to visual quality mode last night. I feel a lot of the visual bugs I was seeing like flickering and blurriness in the distance went away. At least for my tastes the minor drop in fps seems worth it.

Hugare

I'm about 25h into the game and I feel like enemy AI is getting significantly harder the more I play. I used to sneak like a boss (without invisibility) and now enemies seem to notice me faster and have a wider cone of view. I might be crazy but that's what I've been noticing.
Yes, saw many people on Reddit saying that the AI is dynamic and increases the more you play

Thats why most of "AI is dumb" opinions came at launch when people were starting the game

Reactions: Isa

FUBARx89

The online is absolutely shite if you're invading. Rubberbanding like no tomorrow.

Getting screen tearing on performance mode on ps5 aswell.

Overall, I'm enjoying it. Well worth the £30 I spent.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
The online is absolutely shite if you're invading. Rubberbanding like no tomorrow.

Getting screen tearing on performance mode on ps5 aswell.
I haven't had too many issues with invading yet. I think maybe 2 or 3 of the dozens of invasions were laggy/bad connection.

As for screen tearing I notice it after starting a new day on the beach occasionally, but otherwise I haven't seen it. I do get really low frame rate as someone is entering the world as an invader though.

I actually thought I had a major bug earlier when my character wouldn't stop shaking. Turns out it was just a reactor and I blew up soon after lol.

FUBARx89

I haven't had too many issues with invading yet. I think maybe 2 or 3 of the dozens of invasions were laggy/bad connection.

As for screen tearing I notice it after starting a new day on the beach occasionally, but otherwise I haven't seen it. I do get really low frame rate as someone is entering the world as an invader though.

I actually thought I had a major bug earlier when my character wouldn't stop shaking. Turns out it was just a reactor and I blew up soon after lol.

Ah you're getting lucky then. I did an invasion earlier on that was DS1 levels of jank lol. Slashed my front, then game decided he'd backstabbed me.

I get the tearing semi regularly. It's really obvious aswell. Quite annoying.

😂😂 yeah I shit myself at the reactor. I don't wanna go back ha

Arozay

I'm 12 or so hours in, feels like its wrapping up. Had fun with it so far, clunky as shit PC port though. AI is weird though, varies from blind MGS1 guards, to hearing a pig fainting 2 floors away. Most of my deaths have been gravity/water related, enemies seem stuck on journalist mode, except for Juliana who just ignores damage. Nexus, or melee are too OP for most situations.

Playing on a 2080, didn't have too many issues, fps took a dip with the temporal effects + snow and ending up maxing v-ram, GPU fan made an angry noise so I cut it down to high-medium.

The bad things:
It feels bad not having immediate dedicated-access to the thing you want to use, especially when they're constants in your load-out (like hacking). Cycling through hacking, to grenades, to waiting for the laggy-ass grenade sub-menu to pop-up, then struggling with the invisible wheel, etc.

The hardest thing about the game is keeping track of what the fuck is going to happen when you press middle-mouse or what Tekken combo you have to do to get access to what you need at a specific time, or where your 3rd gun went/is on the UI. Doom Eternal was more straight forward even despite having more things to do. Cycle/swap sucks.

The menus are also another console shockwave, enter and backspace are your new best friend. So cluttered and useless. The loadout screen making the infusion thing a sub-menu toggle is idiotic. Then the discoveries menu, which SHOULD use a grid style instead of the loadout makes you scroll through the bible to see if you can find the bullet-point you were looking for. Arsenal and Visionary menus are almost okay, still controls like an etcher sketch for no reason though. Probably the worst offender is the in-game dialogue menu's, where it doesn't register the mouse half the time when you're using the entire mousepad to get to option 1 of 2. Also, opening up the steam UI when sprinting, jumping and changing powers mid-air never got old either.

In short, catering to auto-aim console plebs and c+v pasting PC port ruins everything again.

lol, same thing happened with the shaking with me, was ready to restart the game, thought it was glitching out 😂. I've been working on doing that questline, tricky.

Last edited:

shubik

The game is absolutely fantastic! I love the world and the design as much as the gameplay loop. Exploring the levels is satisfying and the guns feel punchy with the dualsense. This game feels like a spiritual successor to Bioshock. Can´t wait to continue playing after work.

Arkane is the one studio for me I will miss the most due to the Bethesda x Microsoft deal. These guys create masterpieces.

GymWolf

Ia is adaptive so it get better the more you play.

tommib

After 5 hoirs i finally finished the tutorial, now it's time to kill the targets at least once to collect all the powers, now the real fun begin.
Yeah, it’s quite a long tutorial but it feels so good to now have full freedom to explore the levels and play with daytimes. Game is super polished and intricate. There’s so much to do and find! Amazing stuff.

Best part for me it’s still the quality humour they constantly throw at you. Game is funny as hell.

Reactions: Isa

DonJorginho

Banned
The infusing feature is so fucking good, I fear it is a little easy to get an OP Loadout but the real challenge is getting the 8 targets all in one go so I won't dock points for that. In my first loop after the tutorial I immediately targeted Charlie for his shift ability and fuck me was his arena hard, so claustrophobic (and fucking cool!) with shit loads of enemies, I had to do a bit of cheesing with the 'shoot a couple enemies and run challenge' but eventually I managed to wittle down the crowd to just Charlie and a few others, where I took Charlie's sweet Shift slab and an even better rare weapon.

I then went to The Complex and used Shift to get the rare LIMP-10 with the built in suppressor which has made stealth far easier for me. I then killed Wenjie for her residium and ended the loop early to make sure I made it out alive with my residium.

I then made sure I infused these items and trinkets and I think it's a good loadout.

Slabs: Shift

Trinkets: Ability to hack at longer ranges, Barehanded assassinations are quicker and your kicks send enemies further, double jump and the ability to regenerate more health.

Weapons: Charlie's Strelak 50-50 which has the ability to slow down enemies upon being hit, Egor's LIMP-10 with a built-in suppressor.

GymWolf

Yeah, it’s quite a long tutorial but it feels so good to now have full freedom to explore the levels and play with daytimes. Game is super polished and intricate. There’s so much to do and find! Amazing stuff.

Best part for me it’s still the quality humour they constantly throw at you. Game is funny as hell.
The tutorial part was still great, it was not a problem for me.

I collected a fuckload of clues while exploring so now i can follow 3843658337 different path.

I feel like many side-event with the simple eternalist goons are gonna be a lot of fun from their premises.

Fools idol

Banned
I have a feeling they will patch in a harder difficulty setting at some point. The AI is clearly and deliberately gimped (we know that because the developers made comments about doing it on purpose as well)

It's what fans want, and this game needs to get to that next level. If I had at least some sense of danger here it would be elevated to GOAT tier.

OK, adaptive AI definitely seems to be a thing, suddenly enemies are waaaay more alert to my presence, even when indicator is white I go invisible but they immediately come to investigate, never happened before. Perhaps using the same slab over multiple loops makes them resistant to it's powers? Interesting stuff.

balt1kr1s

Not going to throw any spoilers in but like some people said in another topic, the more you play the less roguelike it is.
It's much closer to Majora Mask than Returnal, you will see that at some point I'm sure.

Reactions: GHG
Got an ending last night that felt like the "true" ending. I could write up a mini-review but to be honest I'm lazy this morning so I'm just going to summarize in a few bullet points (some of which I previously stated already)
- Great and original concept, but would have benefited greatly from one or two more locations/maps (only 4, despite how well designed they are, is an anemic number compared to the amount of maps in previous Arkane games)
- AI is mostly braindead BUT improves at some points. They never reach the level of Dishonored AI though
- stealth game is lacking. The lack of hiding bodies is missed (the Aether upgrade that doesn't leave evidence is not the same), and as mentioned the AI is extremely dumb so you can literally crouch walk circles around them
- weapon balance needs major work, because the Silenced SMG I received at the very start of the game was all I needed for the entire 24 hours
- Invasion concept is cute on paper but really didn't do anything for me, because the fights last 10 seconds at most . Also the AI Julianna is incredibly bad and stupid
- the game eventually becomes a bit too "guided". The final loop is just a checklist you have to follow. I guess you can consider it a victory lap but... eh. It's a bit underwhelming.

All in all, I had a great time with it, but it's a step back from Dishonored and Prey IMO. In fact, I'm going to play Prey DLC right now because I never finished it :)

8/10

I have to add that I'm completely baffled by the 10/10 scores, both before and after playing the game. I mean, 10/10 scores are almost always bullshit in the realm of gaming, but this receiving 10s over the masterpiece that is Prey?? Madness.

Ogbert

OK, adaptive AI definitely seems to be a thing, suddenly enemies are waaaay more alert to my presence, even when indicator is white I go invisible but they immediately come to investigate, never happened before. Perhaps using the same slab over multiple loops makes them resistant to it's powers? Interesting stuff.
The AI is interesting.

I have no issue with it being simplified, as I think they want you to muck around with the powers and treat it like a sandbox. But, as you say, there are odd points where it seems to go through the roof and you are hunted down regardless of how you have approached it.

Terenty

I have to add that I'm completely baffled by the 10/10 scores, both before and after playing the game. I mean, 10/10 scores are almost always bullshit in the realm of gaming, but this receiving 10s over the masterpiece that is Prey?? Madness
Gaming media is an extended PR machine with a VERY obvious woke slant, how some people still don't understand this and fall for their shit is beyond me

balt1kr1s

PvP in Deathloop.
You jump over guy’s head almost fully invisible, with no sound made whatsoever just to get behind him, so you can cut his throat.

Even if this happens to you, is still so fucking cool.

tommib

I love the amount of hidden secrets. Everytime I play I find something new. There is so much to explore I can't understand how people are beating this game in only 12h. I'm clocking 30h so far and I am nowhere near finishing (I think).
Word. I’m constantly overwhelmed with the detours and secrets in the levels. Game is thick with details. Game is complex as hell.

april6e

The invasions initially greatly annoyed me but once I find out you get not only a massive amount of residuum, 3 lives vs their 1 life and a free rare weapon + a power drop...and they typically only happen at the beginning of an area (unlike Dark Souls where you can spend 45 mins getting through a level only to get invaded at the end and lose all your progress)...

They are pretty great now to quickly farm powers for Cole. It's actually a pretty enjoyable system. This game solves many of the issues I have with roguelites and always online single player games with its very clever game design.

Last edited:
I love the amount of hidden secrets. Everytime I play I find something new. There is so much to explore I can't understand how people are beating this game in only 12h. I'm clocking 30h so far and I am nowhere near finishing (I think).
Yea, that's what I was a saying in an earlier post, if you're beating this in 12 hours you're literally missing half the game (at least!). I'm 22 hours in now, still haven't "beat" it, the game is packed with so many secrets, the world is super dense and the only way to uncover a lot of this stuff is through experimentation and exploration, I'm beyond impressed.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Yea, that's what I was a saying in an earlier post, if you're beating this in 12 hours you're literally missing half the game (at least!). I'm 22 hours in now, still haven't "beat" it, the game is packed with so many secrets, the world is super dense and the only way to uncover a lot of this stuff is through experimentation and exploration, I'm beyond impressed.
Yeah there's no way I'm beating this in 12 -15 hours. I'm not sure what my playtime is so far, but I'm not even half way. Sometimes I'll even do runs without any objectives just to mess around and explore with my friends occasionally invading. I got my first slab upgrades today from a combination of killing Julianna and taking out a few Visionaries again. I haven't even explored the "Wolf Mansion" that was shown in the gameplay trailer.

Boss Mog

This game is getting review bombed on Metacritic user reviews. Is it overrated by the journos or are the review bombs unfounded? Tales of Arise on the other hand has glowing user reviews so it's not just a case of review bombing anything and everything for the lulz.

kuncol02

Banned
This game is getting review bombed on Metacritic user reviews. Is it overrated by the journos or are the review bombs unfounded? Tales of Arise on the other hand has glowing user reviews so it's not just a case of review bombing anything and everything for the lulz.
I will let you guess.

That's actually funny that PS fanboys are review bombing PS Exclusive because it's made by MS.
At this point MC should remove user reviews at all. They are totally not usable for anything.

Braag

I think the biggest factors are people who are frustrated by the performance on PC (I haven't had issues with a 2080TI but that's just me) and some YouTubers didn't agree with the high review scores and gave it lower scores so I guess their viewers are also hammering it down based on those videos.

I mean people like different stuff but this is probably my favorite Arkane game.

EDIT: Didn't think PS players would also review bomb their own exclusive cause the studio is under MS. That is some weird dedication.

Last edited:
Top Bottom