• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December EGM Cover Story Revealed

SPEA

804.jpg

The latest issue of EGM finally arrived in our offices today, which means they should be reaching subscribers any day now, and as hinted at at the end of the previous Resident Evil issue, our December mag has a big surprise on the cover: The unveiling of Watchmen: The End Is Nigh. You may recall the mind games and questions EGM editor-in-chief James Mielke, has been playing as of late, what with the blog posts asking readers to identify the next cover of the magazine. The secret behind figuring out the correct cover (which a few of you did) was not to try and discern what the game was based on the posted images, but instead by deciphering based on the way they were posted. Blurred out and mirrored opposite each other, in the manner of a Rorschach blot, the image was a composite Rorschach-style image of the game's star, Rorschach. What's interesting about the Watchmen game (which many purists may view as blasphemy) is the level of care and attention Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment are putting into the game.

Not only is Watchmen: The End Is Nigh a prequel (fleshing out many of the brief flashbacks hinted at in the graphic novel), it's episodic, and it's downloadable. EGM has the full reveal, including over 20 screenshots and interviews with 300 and Watchmen director Zack Snyder, original Watchmen illustrator Dave Gibbons, and veteran comics author/End Is Nigh scripter, (and Alan Moore's original mentor on the Watchmen series) Len Wein.
In fact, EGM went all the way out to Copenhagen, Denmark to visit with the development team, Deadline Games (which features an international cast of talent, including one designer who worked on Shenmue, Super Monkey Ball, and F-Zero GX). We also spoke with the game's producer, Soren Lund. The issue not only features everything you need to know about the game, but also insights and secrets to the upcoming movie, straight from the mouth of Zack Snyder himself.

While your first instinct regarding a movie/comic-based licensed game might be a poor one, EGM's James Mielke (a serious Watchmen fan) came away genuinely impressed with the authenticity, treatment, and care Deadline Games is devoting to the prequel. They know they have a huge fanbase to convince, and it shows in their work.

The latest EGM also features a round-up of the big events at the recent Tokyo Game Show, as well as a nifty gift guide for the holidays featuring eclectic, off-beat game-related ideas that you might not expect (no games!), and a developer's wishlist with various gaming luminaries' number one holiday wishes. Does Tetsuya Mizuguchi want a real astronaut suit for Christmas? Maybe! It's also the first of the big reviews issues, covering many of the season's big games, including Little Big Planet, Gears of War 2, Wii Music, Fable 2, Mirror's Edge, Fallout 3, Dead Space, Saints Row 2, and more. Of course you've probably read many of these reviews on 1UP, but EGM gives these games the three-man review treatment for a second or third opinion.

Finally, in case this wasn't enough to keep your brains busy, issue 235 also features an interview with Grasshoper Manufacture mastermind, Goichi Suda (aka Suda-51), and an exclusive look at Batman: Arkham Asylum and one of the game's (and Batman's) main baddies: Killer Croc. We've posted the shiny, metallic polybag here, so you know what to look out for on newsstands in about 10 days (and so subscribers know what they're missing), as well as the magazine's unconventional, minimalist black-and-white cover, featuring the Watchmen's principal protagonist, Rorshcach.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171165

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
EGM's cover story is a cheap movie tie-in game? Stay classy, Milkman...
although I do give you credit for not stooping to the level of Dave Halverson's Sega Circle Jerk Monthly... I mean play magazine... and give it to some animu game or something...

Crateman

ALAN MOORE SUICIDE WATCH STARTS NOW!!!

But for this just means:

MEEEEGAAAATOOOOOOOOONNNN HOOOLYYY SHIIIIITTT YEAAAAHHH!!!!

*Dances on the streets*

Blader

And all the members of GAF will look up and shout 'Give us TRICO!' And EGM will look down, and whisper 'No.'

ssoass

DMeisterJ said:
Wow. That looks like it has nothing to do with the guessing game from last issue.

The blot.

It's on some sort of "watch"

MANhattan

Watchmen

Note, I don't know anything about Watchmen so I may have said something stupid.:D

Alan Moore will shit a brick. After all the crying he's done over V for Vendetta and Watchmen films
that he still hasn't even seen
, I can just imagine the profanity laced, condescending tirade.

Of course, this game has a 99% chance of being pure dogshit (does anyone remember 300 the game? Me neither), so he'll at least have a point this time.

Oh, and the hints that writeup are referring to are the blurry "Character" screen grabs that Mielke posted online.

Flavius

Don't believe I posted in that other thread, but as someone who read the blurb when he received the magazine...honestly...how could anyone have thought it was anything but a Watchmen game???

If you're disappointed, blame your poor analytical skills.

Flavius

Tiktaalik said:
That's a beautiful looking cover though.

I agree.

Are they really keeping it black & white, though?

Can't imagine any of the assholes in suits letting a magazine that isn't gaudily colored hit the newsstands like that.

Flavius

Ken Masters said:
a movie game for the cover? that will most likely be average at best?

I don't know.

Is that any worse than an original IP with a lot of hype that ends up being a shit game?

Top Bottom