• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deep Silver Acquires Homefront IP; Crytek UK closed, Deep Silver hires as new studio

Tapejara

Great news, hope everything continues as scheduled now. The footage at E3 looked very promising. An open world resistance game on Cryengine? Sign me up.

Yeah, I was really impressed by that gameplay footage they showed. Looked much slower paced than the first game; kind of like the Metro games but with co-op. Hoping the project stays on track; the game looks really promising.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The real question is why does anyone want to continue the Homefront IP? Its mostly only remembered as "that game that tried to take on CoD and failed".

The Homefront "universe" has seemingly nothing good to offer.

The MP was fantastic, and did a lot of things better than both CoD and BF. Game had issues, but it also had promise.

Nobody asked for more Homefront.

Actually, people did.

jbug617

Banned
If Crytek are selling off their IPs, then Ryse will be going to MS... or they flogged off Homefront because they think it has less value than their other IPs.

I wonder if this sale is the influx of cash they mentioned?

Wasn't one of the reason they got into financial trouble was because they didn't want MS to have the Ryse IP?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wasn't one of the reason they got into financial trouble was because they didn't want MS to have the Ryse IP?

Microsoft was one of the last publishers willing to work with them, and yes, they refused to give them the IP which Microsoft wanted as a security net after the first game, so it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Sendero

Guess the most pressing question out of this debacle is, what's going to happen with the Cryengine?

With important tech people leaving Crytek, its development would likely suffer. Which may or may not have an impact on games than depend on it, like Homefront.

I think the reasons were overly rapid expansion, an unpopular engine licensing scheme, the failure of Warface outside of a few areas, & possibly the loss of some contracts... there are others here whom would know better.

I suspect they were fighting over Ryse because they saw the sequel as a possible means of generating income... where as, given the dev time, MS may have wanted to move it elsewhere/in house.

Malvingt2

Jason Schreier ‏@jasonschreier
I believe that the new Deep Silver studio developing Homefront is made up of ex-Crytek UK staff. Finding out more now.

Nibel

Jason on Twitter:

I believe that the new Deep Silver studio developing Homefront is made up of ex-Crytek UK staff. Finding out more now.

So, seems like Crytek UK is slowly breaking. Which would be bigger news than this.

Silky

Banned
jAnfkPa.png

Yoday

So is this how Crytek acquired the funds needed to pay employees due wages? The press release makes it sound like the new team is made up of people that had already been working on the game. Good news for those folks if that is the case.

So the recent influx of money is because they sold out their "hot new IP" to other publisher while use their money to pay for the studio developing the game?

Crytek is fucked.

Qassim

What is it they see in the Homefront IP? I was confused they were making a sequel, I'm even more confused that another publisher would acquire the rights to the sequel and setup another studio to continue development on it.

Although maybe Crytek UK have made something good out of what has already been done and Deep Silver saw some potential.

Top Bottom