• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deep Silver Acquires Homefront IP; Crytek UK closed, Deep Silver hires as new studio

LycanXIII

This game. That's the third developer, meanwhile it still sits at the top of the Xbox One Store, mocking us while probably not coming out for another year.

Second developer, if I remember correctly. I don't think Kaos ever started on the sequel. And then, it sounds like Dambuster is going to be Crytek UK members, so it's not even two devs.

danserv

Neo Member
Totally about to walk home via the Crytek office (just down the road from my office) to check out if anything obvious has changed.

I don't expect anything, but you never know.

jAnfkPa.png

Holy shit, that sounds like a pretty big corporate move.

Adam Blue

I preferred the multiplayer in Homefront to that in both Call of Duty & several of the Battlefield games.

TBH, the Homefront mp was supposed to be an evolution of the Frontlines mp, but those in charge forced it to be more like CoD which is what killed the studio.

I hope the talented people at Kaos are somehwhere good now.

I just want to point out how extremely badass and awesome it its of Deep Silver to make such a major investment on an unproven property like this, most consequential of course is that they're saving an awful lot of jobs by doing this.

Wouldn't any other publisher just have pulled the plug already? This seems like a big risk for Deep Silver to take, and the only thing they're getting for sure out of it is a lot more mouths to feed.

What I'm saying is, thanks Deep Silver, for acting better then the company you most recently employed.

It sure as hell didn't help them out!

There wasn't anything they could do man...

all that money sunk into an MMO, and then God knows how many uDraw tablets for xbox and PS that were made and never sold.
They just ended up getting dumped...

There was no saving THQ with an albatross like that around its neck.

I just want to point out how extremely badass and awesome it its of Deep Silver to make such a major investment on an unproven property like this, most consequential of course is that they're saving an awful lot of jobs by doing this.

Wouldn't any other publisher just have pulled the plug already? This seems like a big risk for Deep Silver to take, and the only thing they're getting for sure out of it is a lot more mouths to feed.

What I'm saying is, thanks Deep Silver, for acting better then the company you most recently employed.

They're more thank likely already pumped a lot of money into it and this is them ensuring that it isn't a total waste.

No idea, but this move just smacks of the "sunk cost fallacy":

We (Deep Silver) have spent so much damned money already, we just HAVE to spend more money to see it through!

Or it could have been that they believe that its a good investment to continue. We don't know anything.

Adam Blue

So at what point does Deep Silver just purchase Crytek to take control of Cryengine and all the existing IPs?

I'm sure it's bloat. Deep Silver is a much more modern publisher that understands making AAA looking titles doesn't mean it has to cost AAA to do it.

Percy

Banned
Crytek is dead and Ryse shall be their swansong.

How unbelievably tragicomedic a fate for the developers of Far Cry to end up facing.

Deep Silver will be okay, they have decent franchises and the backing of Koch. Crytek might go bankrupt this gen. Gface, moba, f2p, just making clones of every popular thing and hope some of it stick.

U2NUMB

So I have wondered this for a while.. where did Deep Silver come from?

Well for those that were able to get away from Crytek and then keep working on a project they were invested in I am happy... hope they can pump out a good game but boy oh boy it has been an uphill road.

MormaPope

Banned
Deep Silver will be okay, they have decent franchises and the backing of Koch. Crytek might go bankrupt this gen. Gface, moba, f2p, just making clones of every popular thing and hope some of it stick.

Might?

I'd give them months at this point. Hope all the employees get picked up by other studios.

scitek

I honestly think this could turn out great in the long run. Also, if there was a publisher at all likely to actually resurrect the Timesplitters franchise, I think it would be Devolver Digital. I'd like to see them buy that IP, too.

Kind of hard for Crytek to act like nothing's wrong now. I figured this game would find a home though considering how far along it seems to be.

I'm only worried about HUNT: Horrors of the Gilded Age now. Hopefully they're not having any trouble.

Nokterian

Kind of hard for Crytek to act like nothing's wrong now. I figured this game would find a home though considering how far along it seems to be.

I'm only worried about HUNT: Horrors of the Gilded Age now. Hopefully they're not having any trouble.

The problem with Crytek is there so called free to play model. Looking at Warface witch was a huge success in russia but not here in EU or US. Because well the business model is pay 2 win instead of making a real free to play game. Crytek is having problems and loads of it turning in to a free to play business and not doing retail you need a really good plan to back it up but they didn't even G-Face is a total flop.

jschreier

Well, if most people left Crytek UK for this new studio, they still exist in another name.
I am still trying to figure out exactly how many Crytek UK people are moving, or whether it's all of them, or what.

I do know that Hasit Zala, who was the director on Homefront: The Revolution and left Crytek UK a few weeks ago, is heading up this studio.

Dinda

Interesting, also if they really have most of the Crytek UK Stuff, i absolutely see Deep Silver also buying the TimeSplitters IP.
Deep Silver and TimeSplitters really seems just to good a fit for them not to.

I am still trying to figure out exactly how many Crytek UK people are moving, or whether it's all of them, or what.

I do know that Hasit Zala, who was the director on Homefront: The Revolution and left Crytek UK a few weeks ago, is heading up this studio.

Venturebeat says Crytek UK is gone and Hunt is moving to Frankfurt to be made

The Crysis and Ryse: Son of Rome developer is closing its U.K. studio and cutting jobs from its U.S. team in Austin, Texas. Much of the talent from Crytek U.K. will join Deep Silver’s new studio in England to continue working on Homefront: The Revolution. The Austin wing of the company will remain open to operate as a support team for North American developers that license the studio’s CryEngine development toolkit, but development of co-op thriller Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age will move from Austin to Crytek’s Frankfurt team. This news comes after months of rumors that the developers was missing payroll payments to its employees.

“As we look to cement Crytek’s future, this strategic deal with Koch Media would allow us to continue with our ambitious goals to become an online publisher,” Crytek chief executive officer Cevat Yerli said in a statement. “With Warface, Arena of Fate, and Hunt, we believe we have the perfect portfolio and teams to make that happen. We would like to thank all our staff – past and present – in both Nottingham and Austin for their contributions to the company, and we wish all the very best to anyone who may no longer be under the Crytek banner moving forward.”

Top Bottom