• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deep Silver on why Dead Island: Riptide isn't coming to Wii U

Really? I don't know about this man...

When Watch Dogs was first shown, people were jumping all over it for being next gen before anything was announced about the platforms. It (and Star Wars) looked noticeably better than the console games we are used to seeing, and Killzone is the same.

It might not be as evident in youtube videos and tiny gifs, but when these games are being played in front of you on big screen TVs I don't think most people will have trouble distinguishing PS3 graphics from PS4.
Well yea when watch_dogs was first announced. The footage showed at the PS4 meeting was a different story and alot of people here agreed it looked somewhat different. Regardless it still looks good.

Anyways what looks better is always subjective so no point in debating that.

Zombi U is the second best selling Wii U game (NSMBU being first) and this NPD thread we learned it wasn't over 200k yet. Only 3 other Wii U titles just reached the 100k point 4 months in (Sonic Racing, Scribblenauts, and something else). Wii U software sales are really bad.
Sure they're bad, but saying ZombiU sold 100k ltd simply isn't accurate. That's all. If we use retail standalone US only figures, Asscreed 3 Lib isn't even over 100k yet after 5 months, yet it's shipped + digital figure is 600k worldwide.

Also Nintendo Land would actually be the best selling title counting bundles, though standalone also being over 100k wouldn't surprise me. The 4th 3rd party game over 100k is Just Dance 4, and I think Sonic might be ahead of ZombiU now too.

MarkusRJR

Sure they're bad, but saying ZombiU sold 100k ltd simply isn't accurate. That's all. If we use retail standalone US only figures, Asscreed 3 Lib isn't even over 100k yet after 5 months, yet it's shipped + digital figure is 600k worldwide.

Also Nintendo Land would actually be the best selling title counting bundles, though standalone also being over 100k wouldn't surprise me. The 4th 3rd party game over 100k is Just Dance 4, and I think Sonic might be ahead of ZombiU now too.
Yeah, Zombi U is probably best described as 100-200k retail. Still not a good number but more accurate. I don't think digital sales are going to be that much given Nintendo's DD system but we'll see once we get some numbers from Nintendo. Also, Just Dance 4 was the fourth game that sold over 100k. Thanks for reminding me. :p

The reason AC:L is only around 100k is because that number doesn't include the bundles (I remember hearing there were more copies sold through bundles than standalone but don't quote me on that), doesn't include digital, and that it was sold in the US vs shipped world wide. Assassin's Creed is a massive franchise and I wouldn't be surprised if they overshipped and there are tons of copies still in store shelves.

And stand alone Nintendo Land has yet to reach 100k. Only 5 titles seem to have crossed the 100k mark as of Feb's NPD (once again they were NSMBU, ZombiU, Sonic Racing, Scribblenauts, and Just Dance 4). Maybe it'll reach 100k in March.

Regarding Zombi U sales, John Harker has said it's less than 150K WW LTD iirc.
It may seem like its not worthwhile to some cause of the games not being ported but it also is worthwhile when you look at the games that are being ported.
It's not worthwhile when one looks at software sales.
While 360 has yet to slowdown yea its best to use the 360 version of a game for Wii U, especially as Wii U is the first next generational console that is of course less powerful than the other 2 next gen consoles, and yet unproven to call for special development right now especially as ps4/720 arent even out yet why develop a special game for Wii U. But as the other 2 consoles come out we will probably see a different example of how Wii U is based on the next gen version of games and not the 360.
I guess one can admire your boundless optimism, even if sales data, insider whisperings, current and prospective third-party support indicate no reason to be optimistic.
Im pretty sure Im not crazy and have read maybe 2 threads here on gaf concluding this information.
I'll repeat again, there is no way a game releasing on the PS3 and 360 this year has not yet begun development. How anybody can conclude that beggars belief.

It's not worthwhile when one looks at software sales.
I guess one can admire your boundless optimism, even if sales data, insider whisperings, current and prospective third-party support indicate no reason to be optimistic.
I'll repeat again, there is no way a game releasing on the PS3 and 360 this year has not yet begun development. How anybody can conclude that beggars belief.
Hey there is alot of negativity and any little optimisim gets shut down. You act as if Im being overly optimistic or unreal everything I say is within range and not always optimistic. You are 100% pessimistic.

And you can keep on repeating, you are just shinro-bansho. Of course its begun development, you just like reading what you want.

dacuk

I also find surprising that one of the things Nintendo has as an advantage, its humongous amount of old IP (NES,SNES, N64, GB, GBA, etc) that could be used as a great resource to sell WiiU systems is so underutilized...they could release new Virtual Console games every day, and even more if third party catalogs are included... but they prefer people to either emulate them on their PC's / smartphones, or to just forget those games, whose nostalgia value could be easily monetized.

Hey there is alot of negativity and any little optimisim gets shut down. You act as if Im being overly optimistic or unreal everything I say is within range and not always optimistic. You are 100% pessimistic.
With regard to the outlook of the Wii U and third party support - yes, there's no reason not to be right now.
And you can keep on repeating, you are just shinro-bansho. Of course its begun development, you just like reading what you want.
I'm sorry but what? You've been going on about how the Wii U version is up and running while no PS3 or 360 version is yet, as have others - based on a misinterpretation. Yet, now "Of course it's begun development." :/

With regard to the outlook of the Wii U and third party support - yes, there's no reason not to be right now.
I'm sorry but what? You've been going on about how the Wii U version is up and running while no PS3 or 360 version is yet, as have others - based on a misinterpretation. Yet, now "Of course it's begun development." :/
Zelda Wii U is in development too.

Zelda Wii U is in development too.
This is just getting stupid now. Are you really implying that the game is still in a conception stage for the PS3 and 360 and not a line of code has been written for those SKUs?

Do you really think a game that is releasing on the PS3 and 360 this year doesn't have a working build yet and isn't far along in its development cycle?

Do you really think Ubisoft is prioritising the Wii U with it's paltry global installed base over the 160M PS3 and 360 installed base upon which the game will actually sell?

If your answer to either of these questions is "Yes." then you've thrown the ability to think rationally out the window.

This is just getting stupid now. Are you really implying that the game is still in a conception stage for the PS3 and 360 and not a line of code has been written for those SKUs?

Do you really think a game that is releasing on the PS3 and 360 this year doesn't have a working build yet and isn't far along in its development cycle?

Do you really think Ubisoft is prioritising the Wii U with it's paltry global installed base over the 160M PS3 and 360 installed base upon which the game will actually sell?

If your answer to either of these questions is "Yes." then you've thrown the ability to think rationally out the window.

I answer "Yes."

Im sorry for trying to prove a point but shit you fall right into it..

What I have been saying..this whole time. Is that the Wii U version is up and running at the time the news came up and 360/PS3 versions were not.

This quote from yves guillemont :

"The team is developing it on high end pc's and next gen, after that other teams are looking how they can make it fit for the older generation. So the first approach is to see how they can take full advantage of the next gen consoles."

found in this thread's OP: (Posted 2/26)

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=516088&highlight=watch_dogs+wii+u

While the Wii U version is already running.

Which you decline saying it wasnt said:

Except nobody has said that. Yves Guillemot spoke about the PS4 and PS3, with no mention of the Wii U, and said that Montreal was handling the PS4 and PC versions.

Yet senior producer Dominic Guay did indeed say:

"Watch Dogs is “already running” on Wii U, thanks to the porting work of Ubisoft Bucharest (Romania). The team previously developed the PC version of Assassin’s Creed III and helped out on Ghost Recon: Future Soldier."

Found in this threads OP (Posted 2/25)
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=515716&highlight=watch_dogs+wii+u

As someone who said:

Having the ability to read and interpret is sufficient.

You sound like it was just a tad bit too insufficient right now.

I answer "Yes."
Then you're deluded. No business in their right mind would do that and I doubt it's possible to get a PS3/360 game finished in less than half a year.

I've seen the thread about Yves Guillemot's interview where people misinterpret his translated comments. He is not literally saying that Ubisoft Montreal are going to finish developing the game and then hand it off to be ported by other teams for other platforms after they're done. He's saying Ubisoft Montreal are handling the next-gen (i.e. PS4, XBX3 and PC) versions while other teams are handling the other versions.

I've also seen the thread about it running on the Wii U; which isn't in-congruent with what Guillemot said whatsoever.

And I've seen people, like yourself, use these two together to convince yourselves that the 360 and PS3 versions aren't also far into development.

EDIT: The bolded were edited in after initially posting. Apparently, that warrants disgust.

Then you're deluded.

I've seen the thread about Yves Guillemot's interview where people misinterpret his translated comments.

I've also seen the thread about it running on the Wii U.

And I've seen people, like yourself, use these two together to convince yourselves that the 360 and PS3 versions aren't also far into development.
Im deluded for going off facts. Ok. The facts are above you.You can "interpret" whatever you want but nobodies making a thread based off what a random like you said.

Im deluded for going off facts. Ok. The facts are above you.You can "interpret" whatever you want but nobodies making a thread based off what a random like you said.
Ok, you're absolutely right.

Clearly Guillemot meant that they're going to go gold with the PS4 and PC version. Then they'll make the PS3 and 360 version in the space of a few months.

Gotcha.

Oh, the irony in linking to a thread in which the source of your "fact" is interpretation by the OP.

Then you're deluded. No business in their right mind would do that and I doubt it's possible to get a PS3/360 game finished in less than half a year.

I've seen the thread about Yves Guillemot's interview where people misinterpret his translated comments. He is not literally saying that Ubisoft Montreal are going to finish developing the game and then hand it off to be ported by other teams for other platforms after they're done. He's saying Ubisoft Montreal are handling the next-gen (i.e. PS4, XBX3 and PC) versions while other teams are handling the other versions.

I've also seen the thread about it running on the Wii U; which isn't in-congruent with what Guillemot said whatsoever.

I seen that edit, your edits are disgusting the way you try to skew your perspective into the right perspective. Someone who edits their posts to say entirely different things than what was first posted has lost all respect from me. Im done.
Ok, you're absolutely right.

Clearly Guillemot meant that they're going to go gold with the PS4 and PC version. Then they'll make the PS3 and 360 version in the space of a few months.

Gotcha.

Oh, the irony in linking to a thread in which the source of your "fact" is interpretation by the OP.
edited again: Yea Im done.

All I said was Wii U version is up and running before 360 version. Not sure why you keep saying some offtopic stuff. Doesnt mean the development hasnt started plain and simple.

I seen that edit, your edits are disgusting the way you try to skew your perspective into the right perspective. Someone who edits their posts to say entirely different things than what was first posted has lost all respect from me. Im done.

edited again: Yea Im done.

All I said was Wii U version is up and running before 360 version. Not sure why you keep saying some offtopic stuff. Doesnt mean the development hasnt started plain and simple.
Disgusting. Lol, good grief. I edit when I think of more to say, after the fact. Or want to elaborate further. That's the point of the edit function. There's nothing hidden or secretive about editing. There's no hidden motive. But whatever, continue with histrionics if you must.

Yeah, there's nothing to suggest what you said. No one knows what the state of the 360 and PS3 versions are but they're also presumably far along in development if they're releasing this year as intended. All Yves Guillemot said was that they're leading on the PC, then porting, and that Ubisoft Montreal are only handling the next gen consoles (PS4 and Durango), while other teams are handling the rest of the porting.

I also find surprising that one of the things Nintendo has as an advantage, its humongous amount of old IP (NES,SNES, N64, GB, GBA, etc) that could be used as a great resource to sell WiiU systems is so underutilized...they could release new Virtual Console games every day, and even more if third party catalogs are included... but they prefer people to either emulate them on their PC's / smartphones, or to just forget those games, whose nostalgia value could be easily monetized.

Pointless
People who care already bought Wii U or will buy it after price cut and more Nintendo games releases.

That seems literally impossible given it was over 100k in the US alone in 2012 retail. Japan did around 10k at launch, the bundle did 13k US last month. Hell, if the bundle was just 10% of overall European hardware sales that'd be another 43k in 2012, not counting standalone sales and not even considering digital in any region. Perhaps he meant under 250k?

Top Bottom