• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deep Silver publishing Persona 5, SMT4A, 7th Dragon (& more Sega/Atlus games?) in EU

I said "probably" ;) !
And I think 3-4 million copies is a reasonable expectation for Persona 5. I know 3 and 4 sold in the hundreds of thousands but it seems to me that the series is about to blow up with 5. I might be wrong of course but I believe Sega and Atlus are leaving a lot of money on the table.

Oh well, as long as I get to play the game sometime in 2017...

It won't even do half that.

Look, I love Persona. I was there Day 1 for Persona 4 back in 2008. But it's not going to hit 2 million, never mind 3-4. That's a completely unreasonable expectation.

Faustek

For those saying more sales in Europe now... Have you noticed that deep silver suck at it? Marketing that is, what about them and no localisation then(FIGS)? The quality of their "CEs"?
Nah this isn't super great but better than nothing.

Hoping to be proven wrong.

Edit: also those millions numbers? What crack are you all smoking?

So how many months until Atlus burns their bridges with Deep Silver, like every other EU publisher? I guess at least Sega Europe can breathe a sight of relief and go back to localising nothing, they must have been pretty scared for a while there about having to release some products.

Zareka

BASED DEEP SILVER.

Please don't mess this one up Atlus. And plz be close to US release dates. I'm so happy.

Look, I love Persona. I was there Day 1 for Persona 4 back in 2008. But it's not going to hit 2 million, never mind 3-4. That's a completely unreasonable expectation.

If I remember correctly, Persona 4 Golden was a million seller on the goddamn Vita. 2 million is a reachable goal for Persona 5 on PS3 and PS4. And I'm not a blinded fanboy, I know SMT is a niche series, but you can't deny that P5 has a huge amount of buzz that should at least allow it to surpass P4 in sales.

TimmiT

For those saying more sales in Europe now... Have you noticed that deep silver suck at it? Marketing that is, what about them and no localisation then(FIGS)? The quality of their "CEs"?

Still better than Sega Europe, who would maybe publish these games if they feel like it and then push them out with little to no marketing.

Joqu

All right, this IS good. A release date would be nice though. I still have that US P5 LE preordered for a good price on Amazon.

The only thing I can think of is that the P5 deal comes with a long term commitment to ATLUS games, including small 3DS titles, and SEGA Europe wasn't down for that.

And SEGA Europe isn't a small time publisher, they are MASSIVELY successful with their PC games

I didn't say they were, I just said they look small time.

Now all we need is a release date and dual audio.

Amen. I need that Japanese audio.

Eolz

People that wanted to buy atlus games will buy them even with bad marketing, and it's not like previous ones had marketing with different publishers as well.
So it's going from nothing to plssibly bad in terms of ads here.

So how many months until Atlus burns their bridges with Deep Silver, like every other EU publisher? I guess at least Sega Europe can breathe a sight of relief and go back to localising nothing, they must have been pretty scared for a while there about having to release some products.

I'm giving it 2 good years at least. They're going to publish at least 3-4 titles, and more are implied, plus there's not many options left for now...

Thank you, Deep Silver!

SMTIV:A is by far one of the games I'm looking most forward to but gave up after knowing how big of a mess Sega/Atlus is.

Faustek

Still better than Sega Europe, who would maybe publish these games if they feel like it and then push them out with little to no marketing.

People that wanted to buy atlus games will buy them even with bad marketing, and it's not like previous ones had marketing with different publishers as well.
So it's going from nothing to plssibly bad in terms of ads here.

I'm giving it 2 good years at least. They're going to publish at least 3-4 titles, and more are implied, plus there's not many options left for now...

Read the first sentence again.

And no, I'm not expecting that DS do more than just distribution.

Edit: a speedy localisation here would enable them to dick ride the hype from across the pond and are they still present at the bigger conventions?

MQX

I guess Hardin has listened to us and stepped up the game ;P.

Really happy with this announcement. Now I'm hoping Deep Silver/Koch Media will also announce Project Diva X for the European fans :X.

I have a feeling that Deep Silver/Koch Media will now(soon or later) be the main distributor/publisher for Atlus(and SEGA) titles. Deep Silver/Koch Media did already distribute/publish SEGA titles in Europe. Especially that SEGA Europe only focus nowadays on Steam/PC. And if SEGA Europe doesn't want to handle the publishing in Europe, why not talk to the people who distribute the SEGA games in Europe :p.

Rektash

Aww yis!

The real news here is SMT IV:A getting released in europe. P5 was gonna happen one way or another anyways.

Sega Europe became such a fucking joke. Sega owns Atlus and they're not even able to publish their games worldwide. I'm really angry at Sega for that.

I hope Europe still gets that awesome limited edition for Persona 5 because I really want that.

StereoVsn

Yeah, I own multiple copies of each of Persona games (and SMT) so I love the series, but expecting more then say 1.5 mil, maybe up to 2 mil lifetime if it does really well, that's just crazy talk.

For sales expectations, it just depends. It has to hit just right. Frankly Spanish/Italian together will probably net only a few thousand copies (that Xillia thread is crazy). French/German is probably worth translating though.

What I find crazy is that Sega Corporation can't get its subsidiaries Atlus USA and Sega Europe to distribute a fairly big release for them in Europe. What's also crazy is that Sega couldn't get Atlus Japan to work with Atlus USA on localization during say last whole year of dev. That's also crazy. I just don't get the mentality.

Edit: I don't work in gaming but I do work in a large multinational Corp. Heads would roll if that kind of shit would be pulled.

Zhao_Yun

Read the first sentence again.

And no, I'm not expecting that DS do more than just distribution.

Edit: a speedy localisation here would enable them to dick ride the hype from across the pond and are they still present at the bigger conventions?

Deep Silver is usually at gamescom, so maybe P5 will actually be there next month?

jRPG

I'm not sure I've ever bought anything Deep Silver have put out before, but this has to be great news. I don't need to import Persona 5, I'll be able to get a physical copy of SMT IV: Apocalypse, and I'll actually be able to get 7th Dragon. I'm hugely excited, and don't need to look at any future Atlus announcements with an air of despair...at least not yet. Hopefully they'll do a great job. Looking forward to hearing more information.

Faustek

What I find crazy is that Sega Corporation can't get its subsidiaries Atlus USA and Sega Europe to distribute a fairly big release for them in Europe. What's also crazy is that Sega couldn't get Atlus Japan to work with Atlus USA on localization during say last whole year of dev. That's also crazy. I just don't get the mentality.

Edit: I don't work in gaming but I do work in a large multinational Corp. Heads would roll if that kind of shit would be pulled.

What people don't ask is why they weren't allowed to hire more people to handle that. If they where at a hiring maximum it was the correct choice to ignore the dedicated devices as their pc games sells more and definitely made them more money. Halting what they are working on or pushing away more lucrative choices is crazy.

Deep Silver is usually at gamescom, so maybe P5 will actually be there next month?

Not expecting it but would be delicious. Hoping for PGW... No ulterior motive at all..

Sega Europe must be a fax machine in a broom closet that somehow also occasionally tweets "we have nothing to announce about the EU release of that title at this time" at this stage.

RalchAC

I think Tales of Xillia might actually be profitable, despite of what some people say. Keep in mind:

A) Collectors editions that probably have higher profits than a normal edition at retail.
B) Digital sales, which have higher profit margins (and Xillia has been sold at quite low prices before) and costumes.
C) COSTUMES! Tales of Xillia has a lot of them locked behind a paywall.
D) We don't get a Spanish dub. Only subs. That must be cheaper than bringing the game to, let's say, the US.
E) Who they've hired. Is it an agency? Was it in-house? If it was in-house, did the team have interns?

Yeah, I own multiple copies of each of Persona games (and SMT) so I love the series, but expecting more then say 1.5 mil, maybe up to 2 mil lifetime if it does really well, that's just crazy talk.

For sales expectations, it just depends. It has to hit just right. Frankly Spanish/Italian together will probably net only a few thousand copies (that Xillia thread is crazy). French/German is probably worth translating though.

I attended to a conference about game localization a few months ago, and one of the things that were told is that localizing a game while it still is in development is usually more expensive that waiting until the product is finished (debugging aside).

For example, if a game is going to be released at the same time in English and Japanese, doing quality assurance is more expensive since you do quite a bit of stuff twice. If the English version is released later, the amount of work given in the English QA is smaller since they more or less know which stuff has a bigger chance to break due to the localization progress. I think. I took some notes, but I can't find them right now.

Another example is that some stuff that has already been sent to the localization team and translated may not appear in the final game, but you obviously can't say "look, we are not going to pay you guys those 10.000 words, because they aren't in the game we've shipped."

Parsnip

I wonder if it would be feasible to release two versions, one with and one without EFIGS, to get the game earlier to people who don't care about FIGS, just the E.

Though I guess if you don't give two shits about FIGS, you might as well import, though that's going to cost a bit more.

MLH

Yes! Great news! Glad to see SEGA Atlus worked something out for Europe.
I had US versions of these games on pre-order but worried about the £:$ drop so decided to cancel them. Best news all day.

Deep Silver wouldn't have been my first choice, but we're getting 7th Dragon so I'm happy. Just hope we won't have to deal with Catherine length waits.........

Kouriozan

Can we hope for multi 5?
I would seriously be chocked to play a Persona 5 in my language.
Even if they don't, I'm really happy about this news.

Really happy about this, especially SMT4A. And physical copies! Hope they do EOV as well.

That period of uncertainty where I wasn't sure if we would ever get these games was rough.

Can we hope for multi 5?
I would seriously be chocked to play a Persona 5 in my language.
Even if they don't, I'm really happy about this news.
That would be the icing on the cake. Etrian Odyssey in german.
giphy.gif

Top Bottom