• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Defense Grid: The Awakening - Official Minithread of Tower Defense Bliss

TheExodu5

Banned
Defense Grid: The Awakening

Defense_Grid_logo.jpg

Overview:

Defense Grid: The Awakening is a tower defense game developed by Hidden Path Entertainment for Xbox Live Arcade on the Xbox 360 and Windows. The game was one of the titles promoted by Microsoft during their Game Developers Conference keynote speech on February 20, 2008. The game has been released on PC through Steam and Direct2Drive on December 8, 2008. The price is currently set at $20. The XBLA version is coming soon.

XBLA version confirmed for Wednesday September 2, 2009 for 800 MSPTs.

The Game:

The player must defend his power cores from the invading enemy using ten different tower types:

* Gun: machine gun tower
* Cannon: long-range single-unit projectile tower
* Inferno: flamethrower tower
* Laser: laser damage-over-time tower
* Tesla: single-unit large damage gauss-type tower
* Meteor: long-range area-of-effect explosive tower
* Concussive: short-range area-of-effect explosive tower
* Temporal: short-range area-of-effect tower which slows down enemies
* Missile: long-range air-only tower
* Command Tower: boost to nearby towers

Each tower has unique trade-offs that affect ideal placement, such as line-of-sight attack or ballistic trajectory fire; a large area of effect or damage over time; and minimum and maximum ranges.

Killing enemies earns resources, which can be used to:

* Build more towers
* Upgrade towers toward three different levels
* Save the resources for the next level

Over the course of the game, the player battles 15 different types of enemies, each with their own unique capabilities and strategies.

The game has 20 levels, and there are 60 challenge modes in total (every level has challenge modes). Every level also has 3 different "medals" to be acquired, depending on how well you perform.

There are achievements for the Steam version of the game (and the XBLA version, once it's released).

There are also leaderboards, so you can compare your score to other players.

Demo:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/18510/

Media:

(thank you IGN, for the screenshots)

defense-grid-the-awakening-20080831093304388_640w.jpg

defense-grid-the-awakening-20080831093244982_640w.jpg

defense-grid-the-awakening-20080831093307044_640w.jpg

Trailer

My impressions:

This game is pretty darn fantastic. I'd say it's the best standalone tower defense game I've played, surpassing PixelJunk Monsters by a decent margin.

Maps so far (I'm about halfway through) have ranged from placing towers in preset locations, to placing towers so they redirect enemy movement. Even with preset positions, tower placement is very important since towers have line of sight (i.e. if another tower is in between it and an enemy, it cannot see/shoot that enemy).

Tower balance is pretty darned perfect. Going by the post of one of the developers on the Steam boards, they've worked hard to ensure very good balance. The balance, is what I think makes this game stand out so well.

If you've got $20 to spare, and like tower defense games, I urge you to check this out.

Proven

Looks cool, my only problem is that I really suck at Tower Defense games. Are there any general tips I could use (especially since a lot of games share a lot of tower types).

So far, I always go for towers that can slow people down in combination with the basic towers first. After that, I go astray...

TheExodu5

Banned
Proven said:
Looks cool, my only problem is that I really suck at Tower Defense games. Are there any general tips I could use (especially since a lot of games share a lot of tower types).

So far, I always go for towers that can slow people down in combination with the basic towers first. After that, I go astray...

Find the right placement opportunity. Short range area of effect towers should go where they can cover the most ground.

In this game, since some units have shields (which can only be penetrated by projectiles, and not heat), I find it effective to place the bulk of my stronger projectile towers at the start, so my heat generating towers down the road can have a fuller effect. There are also laser towers which burn units over time. Since the burning effect does not stack, I like to spread my laser towers throughout the map, so that they won't attack the same unit at the same time.

Basically, you want to put the resources you have to the most efficient use possible. If you see enemies are making it too far or getting through, try to improve on your strategy. You learn the nuances over time.

One nice thing about the game is that tower upgrades are very nicely balanced. If a tower costs 100, and the upgrade costs 200, then that upgraded tower will be slightly more effective than 3 of the 100 cost towers.

Another really nice feature, is that you can hold a key to make the game go about 4 times faster, which makes replaying levels and breezing through the easy sections very painless.

DrPirate

Banned
Day 1 for me.

I love Tower Defense games. Doesn't matter what theme it is or what console.

Also, how do you find this compares to Alien Swarm (only if you would know), that's another one I've had my eyes on?

dimeat

Neo Member
I've been playing this and having a lot of fun with it. I was hesitant to pay $20 at first but it's a lot of fun. Currently working through the 'story' before going after scores and challenges.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Better than PixelJunk Monsters? Can you play it coop?

PJ Monsters Coop was the best TDing I've done since back in my Warcraft 3 days.

Zzoram

I'm considering this, but I don't know whether I should get it on XBLA or Steam. I'll wait and see how the XBLA version turns out I guess.

Zzoram

BobsRevenge said:

Warcraft 3 TDs are continuing to evolve. Every year when I go back to the game, I'm greeted with new and awesome TDs.

Wired

zon said:
Exactly what I thought when I saw the ad on Steam

You can count me in in that club as well, and the first thing my brother said when I said as much was that he agreed.

BobsRevenge

Zzoram said:
Warcraft 3 TDs are continuing to evolve. Every year when I go back to the game, I'm greeted with new and awesome TDs.
I've been out of it since Frozen Throne took over. I never bought the expansion for some reason and now it feels like its too late to bother. :lol

I actually made my own modification of Arkguil TD back in the day that was fucking awesome. Too bad I don't think Arkguil is even around anymore. That was the best I ever played.

Ferrio

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
I've been out of it since Frozen Throne took over. I never bought the expansion for some reason and now it feels like its too late to bother. :lol

I actually made my own modification of Arkguil TD back in the day that was fucking awesome. Too bad I don't think Arkguil is even around anymore. That was the best I ever played.

Not too late, place is still really really active. Though DOTA still tops the custom map games.

Zzoram

You guys should really try Gem TD. I think it started early 2007, or late 2006, but it's one of the best advanced TD maps in ages.

I must've spent 300 hours on Gem TD last year. At least. I use to just listen to podcasts while playing Warcraft 3 TDs.

Ferrio

Banned
Zzoram said:
You guys should really try Gem TD. I think it started early 2007, or late 2006, but it's one of the best advanced TD maps in ages.

I must've spent 300 hours on Gem TD last year. At least. I use to just listen to podcasts while playing Warcraft 3 TDs.

Gem is really nice, big learning curve though. All these non Warcraft TDS don't really use mazing much (few exceptions).

I like Sprout TD too, and the Mafas.

TheExodu5

Banned
BobsRevenge said:

Sadly, no coop. That's my only complaint about the game. Maybe they'll look into multiplayer in the future (one dev had said it was on their minds, but they wanted to focus on the singleplayer game and balance for now).

The main reasons it's better than PJM: balance, line-of-sight projectiles, ability to speed up the game 5x at the press of a key, towers that can block enemy movement.

Also, not all maps incorporate mazing. Some maps allow you to maze, while others only allow you to build on the sidelines. It helps keep it fresh.

WC3 is still the best source of TDs, but as a standalone experience, I think Defense Grid is head and shoulders above the competition.

Danj

Is there a demo of this game? It looks interesting, but I don't know that I'd want to put out 20 bucks for it without at least trying it first.

ram

LOL the game sounds and looks axactly like savage moon (psn) - and that was crap - expecially due the 3d camera.

RJT

Can some TD veteran tell me if there is any TD/Action game hybrid, where one player is placing the towers against a team of human controlled players?

BobsRevenge

TheExodu5 said:
Sadly, no coop. That's my only complaint about the game. Maybe they'll look into multiplayer in the future (one dev had said it was on their minds, but they wanted to focus on the singleplayer game and balance for now).

The main reasons it's better than PJM: balance, line-of-sight projectiles, ability to speed up the game 5x at the press of a key, towers that can block enemy movement.

Also, not all maps incorporate mazing. Some maps allow you to maze, while others only allow you to build on the sidelines. It helps keep it fresh.

WC3 is still the best source of TDs, but as a standalone experience, I think Defense Grid is head and shoulders above the competition.
That sounds great man. Thanks for the mini-review. I might get this around christmas depending on funds.

Ferrio

Banned
RJT said:
Can some TD veteran tell me if there is any TD/Action game hybrid, where one player is placing the towers against a team of human controlled players?

There's some maps for WC3 sorta like that.

Basically there's multiple players. Each player has a lane they have to defend, but at the same time they also use their gold to send monsters at other player.

itxaka

Defeatist
Okay, one question I have because a personal problem.

It looks like there is a lot going on the screens. Its easy to distinguish the enemies and your towers? I have a problem with those screens as the backgrounds seems to difficult my vision of the game.

RJT

Ferrio said:
There's some maps for WC3 sorta like that.

Basically there's multiple players. Each player has a lane they have to defend, but at the same time they also use their gold to send monsters at other player.
My idea is a TD/FPS hybrid. One player build the towers while the team of human players has to run through the map. They have guns, so they can can destroy the towers (or each other :lol), but will basically have to run for their lives. I'll try to make a proof of concept for it.

Tendo

I'm new to the TDS genre, having just played PJM. So this is good? The futuristic look to it is drawing me in.

Hitmeneer

They should release a demo. I'm really interested, but no way I'm going to pay 20 $ for a TD game, which I haven't tried yet.

Rlan

I'm interested, but yeah - need demo.

No word on the XBLA release. The PC version was the lead version, and Microsoft are still the publisher for the XBLA version. I'm guessing PC version first, and now they begin the port over.

been playing for a while now. still havent finished off all the main line.

at this point its quite good fun but damn it gets hard and it punishes you if you forget about towers. i forgot about how good a simple gun can be and i couldnt get through one of the levels until i built a number of them and upgraded them. this despite me having massively upgraded different (and better imo) towers. so i would say its balanced nicely as you cant afford to forget about even the lower towers.

Etelmik

Neo Member
This game is still all kinds of awesome. Spent 8-9 hours devouring the levels (I used speedup and am experienced at TD games).

If you're the kind of person who goes apeshit over high-scores, varying challenges, and achievements, this one is worth the money as long as you don't insist a game be worth more than 1 hour per dollar.

The production values are good for the price, too--sound, graphics, animation. The amount of stuff on the screen is insane, much like the way you feel when seeing, say, Supreme Commander.

I can see blinking at 20, but at 15, I certainly don't regret it.

Goofing around in these levels to get golds is amazing fun. Definitely worth the $15 it is selling for right now.

One complaint-I wish I had better stats to work with for both health, armor, and tower DPS/area of effect in the interface.

Jackson

It's a Lot of fun. I was hooked from level 1 all the way till the end.

But I wish they didn't pull out the "turret view" I saw in trailers, that looked cool.

pilonv1

alistairw said:
Worth $15 for sure - seriously. It's fucking brilliant.

definitely echo these sentiments. i spent 4 straight hours today playing it, one of the best games ive played all year

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Hitmeneer said:
They should release a demo. I'm really interested, but no way I'm going to pay 20 $ for a TD game, which I haven't tried yet.
I feel the same way. I've been burned every time I bought a game without playing it first, so no demo equals no purchase.

VALIS

I bought it last week and probably put 15 hours in already. Great stuff.

Also, Meteor Towers > All.

pilonv1

VALIS said:
I bought it last week and probably put 15 hours in already. Great stuff.

Also, Meteor Towers > All.

Totally, a fully upgraded meteor tower is god like.

Was browsing the achievements last night, one of them is surviving 100 waves in challenge mode :eek:

I really like that there's no juggling of towers like there is in Pixel Junk Monsters. I'm rarely at a stage where I have to sell/build/sell/build/etc... to clear a level. I'm finding clustering of types of towers and using the slowing tower on corners is the best strategy

VicViper

I bought this game based on the impressions and recommendations in this thread and I'm glad I did. This is one hell of a Tower Defense implementation; the variety of the maps is astonishing and keeps me playing forever. I can't wait to unlock challenge levels with unlimited waves. Everyone who likes TD games should definitely check this out.

Thank you GAF!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
FINE GAF!

I will log into my PC from work and buy this from steam.

Im sure i will suck at it but everyone seems to be loving it to death, can't go past a game with such love.

*grumble*

Ripping myself away to mail off today's Advanced Tactics WW2 turn was REALLY hard.

Awesome implementation of tower defense. Given that there were no TD games on Steam, it fits the bill in the catalogue just perfectly.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Score didn't know about this. I'm a sucker for tower defense games lately. Purchased and will play on day off tomorrow :D

Top Bottom