• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Defense Grid: The Awakening - Official Minithread of Tower Defense Bliss

Yowza

kai3345 said:
I don't understand the appeal of Tower Defense games. It's just put down a few towers and watch.
Gexecuter said:
the appeal at least for me is that they are strategy games that are not too chaotic, i get overwhelmed with modern RTS titles so defense tower give me a more laid back experience.

If kai3345 or anyone else interested in Defense Grid still doesn't understand tower defense (namely Defense Grid), here's the best way to gauge your expectation and enjoyment.

Pretend you're the coach on a winning sports team. Let's say you win the superbowl or some other championship. In Defense Grid, you're the coach, who makes all the decisions on where your towers go, which ones you pick, when you put them in or take them out, and you get to stand by 'on the sideline' and see if the "opposing team" can outsmart your strategy. Towers and upgrades cost money, and you get money by shooting down enemies, or letting your funds build up over time. The more funds you have to spend gives you more interest rate, giving you even more money the longer you hold off on spending it on towers. Back to the 'coach' comparison, it's in your control, and totally up to you when you want to put towers down, or whether you think your defense is good for now.

If that's too hard to grasp, just think about any RPG or really any game with progression.
You start off as a real weakling, but along the way there's visual indication of your growth and eventual utter dominance (level 99, master sword, whatever) by the end. A continual sense of growth is done very well in Defense Grid.

Soka said:
I'll wait till it hits a weekend sale for $10 or no deal.

It's too bad too, because it looks really fun.

Tell me my friend have you ever relished a dish of delicious raspberries?

On that note..

LAMBO said:
For some reason I really liked the dialogue of your computer companion, thought he was a better character than 90% of games i play.

I really hope those 4 extra maps take place after the main game and feature the raspberry man talking through every SINGLE wave. Great character.

Dynoro

Just throwing my 2c in: This game is amazing on the PC and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone that either hasn't tried tower defense or any TD vets (it gets real hard in later levels). I will probably double dip too for the new levels :D

PopfulMail

Played the first level and then purchased. Been waiting for a good tower defense game on xbla ever since I got hooked on Pixel Junk Monsters. Can't wait to get home and spend more time with it.

Dynoro

bigGIRLSblouse said:
Its about time we have a tower defense game on the 360... Bought it after the first level, loving it so far!
We did have Crystal Defenders; but it was rather short to say the least

pilonv1

Rlan said:
You'll never beat me on the first level, 10th in the world to get the maximum amount of points in that level :D

P comes before R :(

Just destroyed Focal Point. #4 now and beat you by a good 500 points.

Here's a helpful tip which I'll spoiler because it's almost too easy if you use it.

Having one Level 2 or 3 meteor will make things much easier, the damage it gets from upgrades is ridiculous. Upgraded cannons are really powerful too

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Eh, so far, I like some pf the particulars of Crystal Defenders better. I like how you could position characters freely, so you could really get every single pixel out of your attack range. Pre-determined growth spots feels kinda meh, it just doesn't seem as dynamic.

But I purchased Crystal Defenders, and purchased this too ^_^ I can easily see the potential, even though I only played 3 or 4 stages.

Prefer Crystal's Art Style and music to this (What beats Tactics Series music?), But I look forward to spending some time with this later in the day!

Note: Oh, and we have a few other Tower Defense Games on 360 Indie Games, if you're interested in the Genre, don't count them out! Horn Swaggle Island comes to mind...

Davidion

SAB CA said:
Eh, so far, I like some pf the particulars of Crystal Defenders better. I like how you could position characters freely, so you could really get every single pixel out of your attack range. Pre-determined growth spots feels kinda meh, it just doesn't seem as dynamic.

But I purchased Crystal Defenders, and purchased this too ^_^ I can easily see the potential, even though I only played 3 or 4 stages.

Prefer Crystal's Art Style and music to this (What beats Tactics Series music?), But I look forward to spending some time with this later in the day!

Note: Oh, and we have a few other Tower Defense Games on 360 Indie Games, if you're interested in the Genre, don't count them out! Horn Swaggle Island comes to mind...

You'll find out in the later stages why pre-determined growth spots in this game are important.

TheExodu5

Banned
SAB CA said:

Pre-determined is important for two reasons: path building, and speed. There's really no more strategy involved with pixel perfect placement...it's just a fight with the controls to place towers quickly and precisely. It's an unneeded frustration.

And yes guys, I will stress again: best singleplayer TD available. Defense Grid innovates and streamlines the genre much more than any other TD before it (not counting SC/WC3 since they pretty much invented the genre). I believe Defense Grid is the first to have: line of sight towers (where towers can block other towers), fast forward (best feature ever), and checkpoints. The fast forward and checkpoints are the two things that make this TD so much more playable than most others.

Zzoram

If I didn't already have the Steam version I would get the XBLA version.

It's unfortunate, because I have been looking for something to spend my leftover 800 points on.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Dr Zhivago said:
This game is awesome.
Only about 2000 people on the leaderboards though.

Im tempted to buy it, but a friend did, and he cant even play it, it freezes whenever he starts it. :lol

Im holding off for now.

Loving the game so far. Using the Select button to take you to the last checkpoint instantly is a great idea. Only problem is if you press it more than once by accident (whoops).

Gowans

Brakara said:
It works fine for me, but someone on the official forum experienced it:

http://defensegrid.hiddenpath.com/node/715

Try deleting and re-download it.

Tried it all still FUBARed.

Bought straight from the Marketplace, Downloaded on my main living room 360 with my profile on MU and game on HD.

Then again on my 360s HD in the gaming room (same profile on MU).

Same problem happens, I boot the screen gets bright white then locks up and I have to hit the power button.

Loving it! Only thing is I wish I could control the zoom and not have just three preset levels of zoom, either its too far or too close. Other then that its really awesome.

Snowball

Banned
I'm not a Tower Defense expert but this game rocks.
I started playing this genre on iPhone (The Creeps) and I love it.
I'm gonna buyin' this title.

What are the best TD title for console and PC (I'm pretty sure this question is about PC only)?

Thanks!

Nelo Ice

Banned
Snowball said:

What are the best TD title for console and PC (I'm pretty sure this question is about PC only)?

Thanks!

get the warcraft 3 battlechest(u need both games since frozen throne requires wc3 to be installed) and just look for some custom games in frozen throne

The great thing about this game is coming back to the old levels and easily whooping your own scores. Goes to show how much thought is put into just simply placing things on a grid. The game is very very well balanced too. It's not about figuring out which unit is best and just throwing them out willy-nilly.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Snowball said:

Thanks!

This is pretty easily the best TD game. GeoDefense on iPhone comes close, but the polish on this game is just phenomenal.

pilonv1

alistairw said:
This is pretty easily the best TD game. GeoDefense on iPhone comes close, but the polish on this game is just phenomenal.

You better be buying it again. I need more friends on the leaderboards.

Also Star Defense on iPhone is pretty good too.

alistairw

pilonv1 said:
You better be buying it again. I need more friends on the leaderboards.

Also Star Defense on iPhone is pretty good too.

Dude, I'm already beating half your early level times. Got home at 11:30 last night and bought it right away, then played it until 1. God I love this game.

Nelo Ice

Banned
damn guess i'll double dip since the pc version makes my laptop heat up like crazy(well moreso than other games for some reason) :lol

pilonv1

alistairw said:
Dude, I'm already beating half your early level times. Got home at 11:30 last night and bought it right away, then played it until 1. God I love this game.

fuuuuuuuuuu.jpg

Will have to spend some serious time on it this weekend. I've completely forgotten how to get good scores. I swear getting Gold on the PC version was easier.

alistairw

:lol

I did have a little trouble with getting gold on the third level, but I really don't think I played it more than once on PC anyway. Looking forward to seeing more people on my friends list playing this - add me if you'd like: littlemaths is the name.

Brakara

Dr Zhivago said:
This game is awesome.
Only about 2000 people on the leaderboards though.

It seems to be extremely overlooked for such an awesome game. Like, there's still only one review out there (the one by IGN), and even TeamXbox who review every 360 game haven't done one for this game yet.

Gowans007 said:
Just checked runs fine on my living room 360 just not my games room (White screen error).

That's even weirder than when it was not working on either. Have you tried this:

Reboot 360, sign out. Start the game as a trial, then once you hit start, choose your profile. It should work that way.

I'm not sure why this happens for some people and not others. As of now, this is the only way I can play this game (and Yo Ho Kablammo, which has even weirder issues).

http://forums.xbox.com/28903708/ShowPost.aspx

If it works, then at least you can play it until they fix it.

pilonv1

alistairw said:

Just smoked you on Fire Control 8)

pilonv1

Scoring on this game is still flawed IMO

I completed Flight Plan with 8 towers - 6 red, 2 yellow and got a score of 34,650.

I completed Flight plan with about 20 towers - 5 yellow, the rest green and scored 35,750

I know the score is based on tower resell value, money left at the end and cores left. It just seems like having an efficient killzone isn't as valuable score wise as spamming green towers all over the map.

Anyway I have a higher score on flight plan now than Rlan and alistairw so it was worth it.

taylor910

Having fun so far, but would like more towers to choose from. I only have 5 right now. How many total are there?

Seems like if you just spam gun and the one that slows shit down you win?

pilonv1

taylor910 said:
Having fun so far, but would like more towers to choose from. I only have 5 right now. How many total are there?

IIRC there's 10

Gun
Inferno
Laser
Temporal
Cannon
Meteor
Missile
Concussion
Command
Telsa

Seems like if you just spam gun and the one that slows shit down you win?

You must be pretty early in the game - most levels after you've unlocked all the towers will make you use each one on some levels to finish.

Some of the maps make it impossible to just use guns and slow to win, and not just because they have flying mobs. Like most tower defense games each mob has it's strengths and weaknesses.

Top Bottom