• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Defunct Stores/restaurants you remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Fex

I just thought of a dept store my mom took me to when i was younger, in the 80's . It was called Buffin's I think. I know it's closed now but still.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Frederick and Nelson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_&_Nelson

getimage.jpg

They were also the ones to introduce the Frango mint to both Seattle, then later Chicago.
frangos.jpg

So fun.

I remember we used to have a ton of Big Boy's around me, but now I don't see them. They had a Frisch's down in southern Ohio when I last visited six years ago, but apparently that's the only places that commonly keep them around. :(

JwhAv.jpg

The original Bob's Big Boy in Glendale is now an Asian buffet.

Incredible Universe was insane. I remember the game department had like every system on the market at that time. In the mid-90's, that was a lot of systems!

mollipen

The original Bob's Big Boy in Glendale is now an Asian buffet.

By any chance it is that strange QQ Buffef place that has, like, every kind of food you can think of? (At least, seems to, from reading the sign when driving past.) Or was it in some other location.

Er... that is, if you mean Glendale CA, not Glendale AZ.

By any chance it is that strange QQ Buffef place that has, like, every kind of food you can think of? (At least, seems to, from reading the sign when driving past.) Or was it in some other location.

Er... that is, if you mean Glendale CA, not Glendale AZ.

Nope. Different buffet. Its on Glenoaks towards Burbank.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Incredible Universe was insane. I remember the game department had like every system on the market at that time. In the mid-90's, that was a lot of systems!

I never got to go to one :( Not when it was IU anyway, it's a Fry's now.

aparisi2274

Loved Crazy Eddie's commercials when I was a kid.

Didn't he end up in prison for something?

yeah, I think it was tax evasion or something with customer fraud.

Also, here is another one I just remembered:

480px-Electronics_Boutique_-_Store_4565_(10-13-09).jpg

I remember my first day working at EB, the game "Super Empire Strikes Back" for the SNES came out. Damn you Gamestop!!!

slit

You from Ohio? Because I remember every single one of those stores.

I used to love the hot dogs they served in the counter at the front hills for some reason. I also remember playing a lot of Time Pilot there. Never could get past world war 2, damnit.

No, Pa actually and yeah I remember the front counter at Hills. I remember their hot dogs, stuffed pretzels and nuts. I remember playing a lot of Rampage and Moonwalker there too.

speedline

Banned
Phar-Mor.jpg

Used to rent tons of movies and games from this place for dirt cheap compared to the local video stores.

YES! $0.99 movie and $1.49 game 5 day rentals iirc. So awesome. They had Pit Fighter and Samurai Showdown arcade machines in the lobby.............. so amazing as a kid

G-Fex

haha I just thought of a commercial I'd always see when I was young. Santa's Village, I don't remember if it was open year round, man those commercials looked old, the went well into the 90's.

I'm sure that place is gone.

bengraven

We had a Page By Page in my local town that not only had tons of books and a huge kids section with toys (I was 7 at the time) but later I discovered they had a gigantic Dungeons and Dragons section.

Years later it was bought out by this two chicks who wanted to make it into a party store. For two or three years afterwards, they still sold D&D books, right there in front of the store. Half their revenue was selling them, they realized, and despite getting rid of ALL the other books and replacing them with balloons, streamers, and gag gifts, they kept the DnD stuff to keep the store afloat.

It was great to see these pleasant middle aged women smile as you walked in the door until they realized you were a teenage boy, when they just sort of frowned and pointed to the TSR section.

Years later they finally ditched the rpg stuff. They went out of business a year later. True story.

haha I just thought of a commercial I'd always see when I was young. Santa's Village, I don't remember if it was open year round, man those commercials looked old, the went well into the 90's.

I'm sure that place is gone.

Please give it the proper respect of referring to it by the proper name: The 3 Worlds of Santa's Village.

Are you old enough to remember Kiddie Kingdom?

cajunator

Banned
We had a Page By Page in my local town that not only had tons of books and a huge kids section with toys (I was 7 at the time) but later I discovered they had a gigantic Dungeons and Dragons section.

Years later it was bought out by this two chicks who wanted to make it into a party store. For two or three years afterwards, they still sold D&D books, right there in front of the store. Half their revenue was selling them, they realized, and despite getting rid of ALL the other books and replacing them with balloons, streamers, and gag gifts, they kept the DnD stuff to keep the store afloat.

It was great to see these pleasant middle aged women smile as you walked in the door until they realized you were a teenage boy, when they just sort of frowned and pointed to the TSR section.

Years later they finally ditched the rpg stuff. They went out of business a year later. True story.

I love those small little trading card/DND dedicated places. There are a few here, one more catered towards anime and Yu Gi Oh tournys. The others more towards american comics and roleplaying.

bengraven

I love those small little trading card/DND dedicated places. There are a few here, one more catered towards anime and Yu Gi Oh tournys. The others more towards american comics and roleplaying.

It was such a tiny town (10,000 pop) and what really frustrated me was this:

I didn't know how to play. I just loved to read the source books.

So who the fuck were buying all these books and why didn't I find out who they were so I could learn? :(

Volimar

Used to be a department store called Harts.And Big Bear grocery.

When you gotta have it, you gotta have Harts!

wow Nostalgia. We had those in SE Ohio. When I was young, we use to go to a store called Bob Bay's and turn in our glass bottles.

EB games, I practically lived there. Also Hill's department store. Lazarus. Kaybee Toy Store. My favorite place when I was a kid though was Jolly Pirate donut store. There are a few chains around still, but not near me. I'm contemplating a road trip just to get some, but I'm worried my nostalgia glasses will fail.

Zona

rallys-michigan-saginaw.jpg

They still have a website so I guess they still exist. I dunno.

But I haven't seen one in ages. The fries were the bomb diggity yo.

Ya they still exist. I have two within 15 mins of me here on Long Island. Around here they go by checkers but it's the same place. Oh and your not joking about the fries, so good.

shoplifter

media+play+store.jpg

Media Play was the best
That Media Play used to be my local Children's Palace. Th Hooby Lobby has also moved, and the TRU that used to be next to it is gone as well.

Being from the Columbus/Springfield area:

HILLS (was my favorite place to shop. So many good memories going there with my family)
Gold Circle
Ames
Aladdins Castle
Fun & Games
Tg&Y
Farrell's, though I hear that they've reopened me or two stores in an effort to bring the brand back
Rax. That said, I haven't gone to the reopened ones. I heard they were In gas stations or the most part and my best friend was unimpressed when he went to the one in Bellefontaine.
Rikes (local dept store, became Blocks, the Lazarus, then Macys)
Service Mrchandise

Wow, I had forgotten about Harts!

There are still Rally's locations all over here.

Chococat

rallys-michigan-saginaw.jpg

They still have a website so I guess they still exist. I dunno.

But I haven't seen one in ages. The fries were the bomb diggity yo.

If I wanted a fast food burger, this is the place I chose over BK, Wendy's, and McDonalds. Our local one turned into a Checkers. The ungodly fries are still the same, but they change the beef patty :(

I miss Chichi's too. My area lack Mexican restaurants- they were the best of the meager selection. The old one is now a Chinese community center.

G-Fex

Yeah, I know it's "Village." Check the stealth for the source of temporary confusion.

That said, I never knew that there was more than one. Suburban Chicago had it's own one, too.

But we had THREE WORLDS!!

ah but did you guys have a silly commercial and real reindeer!

Kinda makes me sad, I wanted to go when I was a kid.

sleepykyo

Come to Canada, still have them here, though still owned by gamestop.

Exactly, there are still EB Games in the US, but since Gamestop took over. The stores aren't nearly as neat back when it was Electronics Boutique and the trade in 2 games to get one game promo is a distant memory.

Oh and Woolworth. And Circuit City.

edit: Does Q-Zar still exist? Forget the laser tag, I used to drop by just for the arcade games.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
[

Babbages.jpg

Babbage's

Had one of these in Colroado Springs, CO up until mid last year. The store was totally decked out inside with Gamestop stuff, and everything about it was Gamestop except of the name. Apparently the mall refused to let them change their name until their current lease ran out. Manage said there are a few other stores like this out there.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I expect to see Hastings on in this thread sometime soon. Talk about a poorly managed shit show. I've gone there multiple times and I've seen the exact same product side by side with different prices.

Sean

Banned
Sizzler. As a kid that was the greatest restaurant/buffet ever. I would just eat and eat and then make myself a huge ass ice cream.

I assume they're all closed down now as I haven't seen one in ages.

Ah, okay, I think I know the one. I didn't know that's where the first Bob's was.

I think that was the original location. The Rose Parade folks mentioned it a few years back when Glendale's float was Bob's Big Boy.

Sizzler. As a kid that was the greatest restaurant/buffet ever. I would just eat and eat and then make myself a huge ass ice cream.

I assume they're all closed down now as I haven't seen one in ages.

Still plenty of Sizzlers in LA. Went with a friend for Veteran's Day. Buy 1 steak, get 1 free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom