• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Defunct Stores/restaurants you remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I can't believe nobody posted this yet:

chinatown-fair.jpg

A part of my soul died when Chinatown Fair closed.

slit

So fun.

I remember we used to have a ton of Big Boy's around me, but now I don't see them. They had a Frisch's down in southern Ohio when I last visited six years ago, but apparently that's the only places that commonly keep them around. :(

JwhAv.jpg

Big Boy's reminds me of another place I used to go to called Elby's because for a little while they had a Big Boy's affiliation. Anyone else remember Elby's?

cajunator

Banned
Incredible_Universe.png

Needed to be restated

Fuck. I used to visit this place when I visited my Uncle in Dallas. holy shit it was monstrous. they spent a stupid amount of money on stuff that wasnt needed though, like a handheld computer system for employees to walk around with and other insanely expensive shit at startup. It was doomed to fail. But such a cool store.

service-merchandise.jpg

A few malls from my childhood. So sad remembering going there around the holidays (the malls, not service merchandise). They were so busy! Everything seemed so bright and bustling. Then remembering going back as a young teenager and them being completely dead. :(

The Service Merchandise here turned into a data center when the mall closed. Its a mall nobody even talks about anymore called Northgate and now its pretty much an urban store/sports/shoe/discount clothing/dollar store kind of mall. Low rent and a mere shadow of what it used to be. HoweveR I'm happy to report that our Acadiana Mall is still going strong and probably looks the best its ever been. Keep mall traditions alive!

rallys-michigan-saginaw.jpg

They still have a website so I guess they still exist. I dunno.

But I haven't seen one in ages. The fries were the bomb diggity yo.

Rally's down here is called Checkers. Same exact building design, same GODLY FRIES.

Ponderosa2B.jpg

Apparently there are still a few around, but I haven't seen one in YEARS.

large_kbtoys_closing.jpg

Loved this store growing up. I didn't go to the mall for several years and one time I came back because I wanted to see old KB Toys and reminisce and it simply wasn't there. Didn't even know it had gone out of business.

KB TOYS :(
Oh God I miss that one. They even had diecast car models. I cant find any store that carries them anymore, except for the ghetto RIMZ ones that suck.

Also does anybody remember this placE? The one here got turned into a massive Cinema.
OvtjL.jpg

Also, I miss the fuck out of the Discovery Store. SO many cool science toys and gifts. It was stupidly expensive though, which is why it tanked, but so fun. They replaced it with a fucking Hot Topic.
Discovery_Store.jpg

bengraven

Alco.

Mostly forgotten, though I found one or two in very very rural areas in MN still running. We had one in my hometown and I remember the last weeks of it were so empty...literally like five or six aisles and two registers in the middle of a gigantic, empty department store. Sad.

Sam Goody

My tiny hometown, before the internet and Amazon were so prevelant, could only get indie music and books through Sam Goody. They were stupid expensive, but you could occasionally get a great deal in their clearance area.

And they had a super, super hot chick working there. She looked almost exactly like Olivia Wilde only with blonde streaks in dark hair and a nose ring.

I've mentioned this in some other thread, but Modell's, while still around as a sporting goods store, used to be a Kmart/Target-type department store with an arcade in the front entrance.

Oh, the glorious days when my mom would give me a quarter to play fifteen seconds of Donkey Kong. Or three and a half seconds of Robotron.

cajunator

Banned
Suncoast and Sam Goody got bought out by F.Y.E. didnt they? The anime section is STILL there from our old Suncoast and they havent been able to move some of the old stock for over 5 years. The single Volume discs are STILL in their packaging on the shelves marked way down but because they arent full sets nobody wants to buy them.
F.Y.E is a pretty decent store anyway so I dont mind shopping there.

cajunator

Banned
Oh yeah F.Y.E is definitely still alive and kicking.
The local one has really really nice people working in it.
Very helpful and they will chat it up with you about movies and music.
I wonder how they survive with a BEst buy around the corner but the little store is always jam packed with customers so they are doing something right. they have amazing deals too.

5484sz.jpg

Dead (in America at least). It put Wal-Mart Supercenter to shame in both size and quality (and this actual store actually gave the idea of supercenters to Wal-Mart in the first place). The best part was how they handled shopping carts. They were coin-operated and if you wanted your quarter back, you had to bring your cart back into storage.

Wow, we still have them in spain. They are french, so in France they were called Auchamp (or something like that) and in Spain they were called Alcampo. Waht was their name in america?
Also im surprised about the shopping carts thing in america, in here ALL supermarkets and malls work with coin operated carts. I didnt know it was only an european thing.

cajunator

Banned
I wish walmart had coin operated carts. then I would have to dodge the fucking buggys all over the parking lot. I usually park way way out in the outskirts so my car doesnt get dinged up.

Nizz

Jamesway - dept store
Bradlees - dept store
Two Guys - dept store
Crazy Eddie - electronics
HL Green's - discount store
Cost Cutter - drug/discount store and all around shithole
The Wiz - electronics
Grand Union - supermarket
I remember these right here. I also remember Caldors and pretty recently Circuit City.

I also remember this restaurant I ate at when I was a kid named Gino's. They had a burger called the Gino's Giant which was basically a Big Mac ripoff. I remember it was good but I got a stomach ache because that burger was pretty big for me then.

Syraxith

bradleesfront.jpg

I remember the one by me was poorly managed (for perspective: kids would the display bikes around the store and staff didn't seem to mind).

My sister was hired to work there only to have the store close a month later.

cajunator

Banned
On the more optimistic side of things, my city has the only remaining Borden's Ice Cream parlor in the country. It was bought by the University as part of an agreement with the original owner when the other stores closed and has been kept open. It is now owned by a local millionaire who renovated it and it is still going strong.
Found a video of what its like inside. Like stepping into the 50's. So awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqejd9iSv7I

erMXU.jpg

I remember when Wimpy was a place I went into town for every Saturday just to eat their fries. It was replaced by the greatly inferior Burger King.

:(

Also does anybody remember this placE? The one here got turned into a massive Cinema.
OvtjL.jpg

I can't say for sure, but I think that may be a A Real Canadian Superstore (obviously the Canadian portion in the time was removed).

I'm not sure where you are (I'm guessing US), but I think they did have some US expansion at some point, but it never took off.

A quick google image search kinda confirms this from some unsourced blog, but I can't guarantee that.

cajunator

Banned
I can't say for sure, but I think that may be a A Real Canadian Superstore (obviously the Canadian portion in the time was removed).

I'm not sure where you are (I'm guessing US), but I think they did have some US expansion at some point, but it never took off.

A quick google image search kinda confirms this from some unsourced blog, but I can't guarantee that.

This is way down in Louisiana.
I have no idea how far the stores spread before they were closed down.

Found an answer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Supermarkets
there was a division owned by Loblaw down here and they must have expanded The Real superstore into Louisiana, and it has since been bought and sold by A&P, Schnucks and now some of them have been turned into Rouses' which is an awesome locally owned market.

This is way down in Louisiana.
I have no idea how far the stores spread before they were closed down.

Well, here we go. Closer examining of the Wikipedia article revealed this:

The similarly named The Real Superstore was used in the United States from the 70's up until the mid 90's by the Loblaws-owned National Supermarkets chain until the chain's purchased by competitor Schnucks.

/Solved.

Oreoleo

I remember we used to have a ton of Big Boy's around me, but now I don't see them. They had a Frisch's down in southern Ohio when I last visited six years ago, but apparently that's the only places that commonly keep them around. :(

JwhAv.jpg

Ah, that takes me back. We used to have one around here when I was a kid. I remember the owner saying the Big Boy statue would get stolen all the time :\

rallys-michigan-saginaw.jpg

They still have a website so I guess they still exist. I dunno.

But I haven't seen one in ages. The fries were the bomb diggity yo.

They're known as Checker's in certain parts of the country. Not sure why they do that. But the one near here is still Rally's. Good food.

Now that Kmart and Sears are probably not long for this world. I was just thinking about the past and shopping or eating at chains that are long gone.

[IG]http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac181/slit_album/Hills.jpg[/IMG]

I remember Hills and going right to the toy section when I was a kid. I also remember them because before Christmas they would always have that Santa commercial and the jingle ? "Hills is where the toys are."?

IMG_1337.jpg

I used to really like Rax's. I thought their roast beef was way better than Arby's. I used to loved their baked potatoes and their shakes were out of this world. There might still be a few left in the world but they are long gone from anywhere around me.

[IG]http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac181/slit_album/images23.jpg[/IMG]

I used to love Chi-Chi's when I was a kid. I really loved their seafood enchiladas. However, hepatitis reared it's ugly head at one location and now they're all gone.

[IG]http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac181/slit_album/images24.jpg[/IMG]

I know why Ames went out of business. The places were dirty with merchandise scattered all over the place. However, the one near me used to have an awesome arcade. I would play for hours.

So, for good or bad, what are some of the long, gone places you remember frequenting?

You from Ohio? Because I remember every single one of those stores.

I used to love the hot dogs they served in the counter at the front hills for some reason. I also remember playing a lot of Time Pilot there. Never could get past world war 2, damnit.

cajunator

Banned
Ah, that takes me back. We used to have one around here when I was a kid. I remember the owner saying the Big Boy statue would get stolen all the time :\

They're known as Checker's in certain parts of the country. Not sure why they do that. But the one near here is still Rally's. Good food.

Actually, they do still have some Rally's too. Theres one in New Orleans and several elsewhere.

What other companies are in danger of being the next on this list?

FStop7

Banned
Blockbuster Music. They had very large stores full of CDs and listening stations. You could literally take any CD up to the listening station and play through the entire thing. It was a great way to discover new music.

pd1354006.jpg

Incredible Universe

Children's Palace

KayBee Toys

FunCoLand

Babbage's

Electronics Boutique (pre-gamestop)

Circuit City

Hops restaurant (I guess there are still a few left but most of them are gone)

Came here to post this. Their catalog was the best, I'd stare at that thing for hours.

When you think about it, they were like a non-internet version of internet shopping.

I still think that if they went on the internet with their catalog, their stores would still be there.

Imagine, buying on their site and if you can't wait for the shipping, you go at their store and pick the item. The difference between them and future shop is that you only have 1 employe lol, pretty much like a ups store.

aparisi2274

Roll n Roaster had a location in the lower east side at one point now closed and I thought they has one in Staten Island? This and Brennan and Carrs and I am a happy man. Brooklyn is the best!

I live on SI, and we used to have 2 locations, but both have since closed. I have to hit up Bklyn if I want that amazing goodness.

cajunator

Banned
Oh wow. I just went to Wingstop to get lunch and the Krystal burger place is closed down.
Not surprised, since there is a Whataburger down the road. People dont like those little soggy burgers Krystal had. Now the only question is what restaurant will replace it? Usually when one goes down there is another one there within 2 weeks. If you want a pretty good chance to set up a successful restaurant, come to Lafayette. If the food is great the people here will reward you. If its shit you'll be gone in a couple years.

starmud

Vouch for discovery stores and natural wonders... Both were great speciality stores. Always made gift shopping a entertaining experience...

I really miss the speciality stores of the 90's. Brick and mortar retail is so largely generic anymore. Online shopping just isn't the same as a random trip around a great specialty shop... Unless you live in a larger city, finding any is beyond impossible in so cal.

Merveyns was also a "nice" department store. Nothing spectacular but they kept pretty good quality product and I had never been to one I would desricbe as shabby. Where as all the department stores are flat out nasty now. Kohls is on wal mart tier. Burlington isn't better. JCP needs a major redo.

I'm also becoming disgusted with ONCE clothing dependent stores trying to sell everything possible, mingled among clothes... Coffee makers, waffle irons, toys, electronics; always of the most cheapest and lowest quality. Who buys this crap?

I've noticed some Kohls and burlingtons now hawking soda/food... A even worse trend, EVERYTHING sells food now.

The suburbs suck.

cajunator

Banned
Vouch for discovery stores and natural wonders... Both were great speciality stores. Always made gift shopping a entertaining experience...

I really miss the speciality stores of the 90's. Brick and mortar retail is so largely generic anymore. Online shopping just isn't the same as a random trip around a great specialty shop... Unless you live in a larger city, finding any is beyond impossible in so cal.

Merveyns was also a "nice" department store. Nothing spectacular but they kept pretty good quality product and I had never been to one I would desricbe as shabby. Where as all the department stores are flat out nasty now. Kohls is on wal mart tier. Burlington isn't better. JCP needs a major redo.

I'm also becoming disgusted with ONCE clothing dependent stores trying to sell everything possible, mingled among clothes... Coffee makers, waffle irons, toys, electronics; always of the most cheapest and lowest quality. Who buys this crap?

I've noticed some Kohls and burlingtons now hawking soda/food... A even worse trend, EVERYTHING sells food now.

The suburbs suck.

That's called diversifying for survival. Walked into a Barnes and Noble lately? I think there are more toys and games in there than books.

Log4Girlz

Rally's/Checker's is awesome. Its a Checker's around here (And in There's something about Mary, they feature a Checker's, oh and I believe in Talladega Nights they call it Checker's).

Anyway, I do miss Steak N' Ale. Massive baked potatoes. Seriously, they were like nearly a foot long, filled with chives, bacon, cheese, sour cream mmmmmm.

Also growing up there used to be a place here in Miami called Gabe's. A fastfood joint with fries similar to Checker's and I looooved their chicken sandwiches. Sigh.

cajunator

Banned
I know they are corporations and everything, but everytime I see a shuttered company I feel sad for the owners losses, although mainly this applies to the smaller companies where the hit might actually hurt them on a personal financial level.

MechDX

Anyway, I do miss Steak N' Ale. Massive baked potatoes. Seriously, they were like nearly a foot long, filled with chives, bacon, cheese, sour cream mmmmmm.

Man I can get a giant baked potato from about 7-8 restaurants within a small radius around me. Stuffed with all you mentioned plus brisket and hot links.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Does anyone remember Hot N' Now?

A0KZP.jpg

It was pretty trashy food but my dad took us there because we were poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom