• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Del Taco takes on McDonald's Dollar Menu with new "Buck & Under" Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Del Taco ‘Buck & Under’ Menu Rivals McDonald’s Dollar Menu:

According to sources, Del Taco is rolling out with an entire line of munchies new items in an attempt to “redefine how potential and new and current customers view its products and service experience.” The additions are set to debut tomorrow, April 24, and will be featured under a “Buck & Under” category rivaling McDonald’s Dollar Menu.

The Buck & Under menu will feature 11 tacos, burritos and drinks offered at 50¢, 75¢ and $1. Expect to see the new Crunchy Chipotle Beef Taco, Mini Chedder and Mini Bacon Quesadilla, along with the Value Bean & Cheese Burrito, Jacked Up Value Bean & Cheese Burrito with Rice, Grilled Chicken Taco, ½-Pound Bean & Cheese Burrito, Double Beef Classic Taco, Real Strawberry Lemonade with real strawberry slices and Medium Size Brewed Ice Tea.
Whew.

“While the rest of the QSR category is focused at $1 price points for value menus, Del Taco will differentiate with prices like 50¢, 75¢ and $1,” toutes John Cappasola, Del Taco’s Executive Vice President and Chief Brand Officer. “Paired with our fresh ingredients and made-to order-approach, the New Buck & Under menu is a great representation of the superior quality and value that our brand can offer.”

promo_buckandunder2.jpg

Other changes to their menu:

The second new menu platform is dubbed the New Tastes section and features three new products ranging from $1.29 to $1.59. The Bacon Ranch Grilled Chicken Taco includes grilled chicken, ranch sauce and bacon. A Chili Cheese Fry Burrito is stuffed with chili, French fries and cheese sauce. And a Fiery Six-Layer Burrito includes tortillas layered with nacho cheese, taco meat, Cheddar, sour cream and jalapenos.

New Tastes items will rotate, and those that win favor among consumers may be added to the core menu.

“Our mentality is that it’s all about the customer,” Cappasola said. “If the customers are enjoying and loving these items, they’ll stay. We’re not going to tease them out and pull them back.

“One of the great things about being a smaller chain is that we can be fast and nimble,” he added. “We can listen to customers.”

A new marketing campaign with the tagline “UnFreshingBelievable,” which underscores the “fresh-for-less” positioning, will promote the new menu offers.

“The genesis of the campaign comes from customers who found it virtually ‘unbelievable’ upon hearing about Del Taco’s fresh ingredients at such low prices. They also found it very motivating and said it was a story worth telling,” Cappasola said.

utqIX8G.jpg

I feel like sub-$1 is too low. Especially for Mexican cuisine. That's the price point where even the normal person has to ask "How is this so cheap?".

antonz

Del Taco around me is fantastic. Sure as hell better than Taco Bell. Be curious to try out the new chicken tacos.

antonz

Yeah a 50 cent taco would have me worried.

They have 59 cent basic beef crunchy or soft tacos. Its basically just cheese, lettuce and beef. They offer the deluxe that has more stuff etc.

Hell taco Tuesday and Thursday are freaking awesome. 4 chicken tacos for 5 bucks.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I feel like sub-$1 is too low. Especially for Mexican cuisine. That's the price point where even the normal person has to ask "How is this so cheap?".

Um, where do you live? Depending on your location you cab fund hole in the wall Mexican places that are dirt cheap and delicious.

overcast

Del Taco takes a nice shit all over Taco Bell, lets get that over with.

Also, they essentially made the bold burrito a menu item. But a bold bean and cheese burrito is amazing.

XiaNaphryz

Um, where do you live? Depending on your location you cab fund hole in the wall Mexican places that are dirt cheap and delicious.

Yeah, you can find some really good authentic Mexican at some taco trucks even, and for really good prices.

lvclix

Banned
Hipster mode activated: This menu has been out in Las Vegas for months. I assume we were a test market then. I recommend the mini quesadilla @ $.50.

Del Taco has been dead to me since they raised the price of a Chicken Soft Taco. It used to be a buck, damn it. Don't pretend that $1.30 is some awesome deal, Del Taco. I see through your bullshit.

Seth C

Yeah, you can find some really good authentic Mexican at some taco trucks even, and for really good prices.

The taco truck here got too popular for itself and now try to charge $3 for one simple taco. I appreciate the quality, but come the fuck on. I'm not paying $10 for 3 little tacos from a truck.

XiaNaphryz

The taco truck here got too popular for itself and now try to charge $3 for one simple taco. I appreciate the quality, but come the fuck on. I'm not paying $10 for 3 little tacos from a truck.

Sounds like they need a competing truck nearby to keep prices reasonable.

There are tons around here, so noone can get too crazy with raising prices with all the competition.

BigDug13

Their macho bacon and egg burrito is excellent from their breakfast menu. Also, they pretty much have the best strawberry shake of any fast food restaurant as it's a cup of real ice cream and real strawberry compote blended together instead of the syrup flavored ice cream of the other restaurants.

ToxicAdam

I'm ready for freemium food. The shell/bun is free, but each topping/food component is 49 cents. 9.99 unlocks all you can eat mode.

I went to Del Taco once...... I never experienced diarrhea on that level until that day.

I swear, after years worth of consuming Taco Bell and/or Del Taco, I have never had these volcanic anal evacuations some of you claim to have in every Taco Bell or Del Taco thread =p

On topic, sub-$1 food sounds terrific though. You go Del Taco!

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
just had the chili cheese fry burrito. umm, pretty underwhelming but for 1.50.. it's okay. better off just getting the chili cheese fries by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom