• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demo PlayStation VR at Select Best Buy Stores (Every weekend through December)

Yes, you detailed it even better. Second screen is sent via HDMI out of the PU.

You are correct. Just picked the 7.1 mention in your comment. You can use Golds or Astros if they have 3,5 mm jack, but you don't benefit from their own surround functionality.

PU box is actually better than the more common headphone surround sound, since it's 360°. Let's say if an airplane flies over you and you tilt your head so, that your ear is facing the sky, the audio space actually tilts too. Normal surround sound is usually mixed on a one single horizontal plane. The latest home theatre Dolby Atmos spec is also object based and it has height speakers in it's fullest setup, which comes close to 360° audio.
There is no "mixing" of surround on a horizontal plane.

Surround audio is not "mixed". It is played in relation to the audio listener in any game scene. The mixing of positiinal audio is usually handled by the engine in real time.

Playing any flight sim or flight combat game, as you roll and pitch the audio changes accordingly as you've described. The sounds don't stay where they are in horizontal planes :|

The difference here is that the PS4 is not handling the positonal audio and is done by the breakout box, so using your dongle with the Golds won't work.

I imagine with a more powerful SKU, audio processing can be done via the Console itself, for use with 1st and 3rd party headsets as it is now which is why I mentioned 7.1

When I first started gamedev coming from audio design this is one of the things I played with since I was familiar with the medium :D

pj

Banned
Here's something I don't understand. After trying out both the PS VR and the Vive, it really feels like the PS VR has a notably wider field of view, while the Vive feels like looking through a porthole. Anyone else have the same experience?

I had the opposite experience. I own a vive and tried the PSVR yesterday. PSVR's fov seemed a bit smaller to me.

The vive has an adjustment to put the lenses farther away to accommodate glasses wearers. That setting affects FOV and I'm guessing whoever ran your vive demo used that adjustment for everyone so they wouldn't have to fiddle with it every time someone with glasses used it.

I had the opposite experience. I own a vive and tried the PSVR yesterday. PSVR's fov seemed a bit smaller to me.

The vive has an adjustment to put the lenses farther away to accommodate glasses wearers. That setting affects FOV and I'm guessing whoever ran your vive demo used that adjustment for everyone so they wouldn't have to fiddle with it every time someone with glasses used it.
That's really helpful to know - Thank you! The way I felt about the PS VR is that it was like viewing the world through snowboarding goggles, while the Vive felt like looking at the world through a port-hole on a submarine. Based on that description would you say that when adjusted, it feels like the Vive offers an as good or better FOV than PS VR?

Soi-Fong

That adjustment for PSVR is miles better than how Vive has it. On Vive you have to pull the two knobs out on each side and moving it out is clunky and unintuitive and honestly a pain..

On PSVR it's just one button that you hit on the bottom of the headset with your right thumb and slide in and out.

As for me, I stick with my opinion in that PSVR's FOV is pretty much equals to Vive and Rift when setup right.

Samaritan

Pretty bummed to see that Idaho has been shafted once again from getting a demo kiosk. Kind of nuts considering they're showing the thing at more than 300 locations.

Besides Canada, have they stated if they're expanding to other areas at a later date?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Even though I seemed pretty down on the experience I can't wait to go back in a couple of weeks to try it again.

pj

Banned
That adjustment for PSVR is miles better than how Vive has it. On Vive you have to pull the two knobs out on each side and moving it out is clunky and unintuitive and honestly a pain..

On PSVR it's just one button that you hit on the bottom of the headset with your right thumb and slide in and out.

As for me, I stick with my opinion in that PSVR's FOV is pretty much equals to Vive and Rift when setup right.

Yeah the knobs on the vive are weird. I don't wear glasses and I don't demo it to tons of people so it's a non issue for me.

Sony claims a 100 degree FOV, vs 110 for rift/vive. It's not a world of difference but I did notice it.

lt519

Even though I seemed pretty down on the experience I can't wait to go back in a couple of weeks to try it again.

Same boat. Loved the hardware but didn't enjoy the game. Excited to try some other things and spend more time with it. Wife and I were on a bike ride and 10 miles in we went past the Best Buy (which I had strategically planned) and i was like, "umm, brb, gotta go try VR" so she was waiting outside with the bikes....

Multiple weekends (if not every weekend) all the way through launch.

Read the OP - there's a link - you enter a zip code and it tells you where the demos will be

You got till December to try it out. They won't be leaving anytime soon and by the look of some posters here, they will be adding more demos down the line, I hope they put Hear They Lie. A horror demo would be nice to show people xD

Offline Bots
That's a relief to hear. For some reason I assumed it was thos weekend only. I'm pretty impressed Sony is pushing these demo stations for that long. This will by far be be biggest mainstream push VR in general could hope for.

Robinson
One of the best looking demos so far. Movement is on rails, and the camera management is done by DualShock, and only has like set azimuths, which was a bit weird at first. Also uses Moves, but only when prompted.

I'm surprised to hear that Robinson is on rails. Was all the E3 footage shown, like dodging dinosaurs, just QTEs?

How does one use both a DS4 and the Move controllers with a PSVR helmet on? Sounds pretty awkward.

N30RYU

I'm surprised to hear that Robinson is on rails. Was all the E3 footage shown, like dodging dinosaurs, just QTEs?

How does one use both a DS4 and the Move controllers with a PSVR helmet on? Sounds pretty awkward.
In some videos you can see the character die falling from the plants 'cause moving while looking the surroundings... so either he haven't played it... or by on rails he means linear.

Tactica

Neo Member
In some videos you can see the character die falling from the plants 'cause moving while looking the surroundings... so either he haven't played it... or by on rails he means linear.
You don't have complete freedom to explore. The path you can move along is quite narrow. You do control your speed and view. Perhaps extremely linear would have been a better word.

So my friend Craig had previously tried my GearVR, and this was on a whole other level for him. He tried London Heist and began by noticing he had hands, and then "drinking" the soda from atop the dashboard. Looked really silly, and he laughed when the driver ran into the motorcycling enemy. His brother tried out Ocean Descent, and was immediately into the VR experience of things all around him. He becomes visibly nervous when the shark shows up and continues to nervously / frantically look around for it until the demo ended. Much of this is in the video :D

PlayStation VR demo - June 25, 2016 in San Jose, CA

London Heist turned out to be really fun, though I did run into a few moments of holding the gun while shooting and it wasn't that engaging. However, being able to toss the soda can, mess with the radio, the sun visor, storage compartment, even the air vents, and leaning out the window (or out the door if you open it) was all very amusing and entertaining. Also the dude leaning back and reacting to your aiming toward him, or calling you a moppet when you're out of ammo and need relead was very authentic Statham action film. Reloading was very satisfying, as well. A few times I reached down to grab the ammo even though I couldn't see it, and it worked!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So my friend Craig had previously tried my GearVR, and this was on a whole other level for him. He tried London Heist and began by noticing he had hands, and then "drinking" the soda from atop the dashboard. Looked really silly, and he laughed when the driver ran into the motorcycling enemy. His brother tried out Ocean Descent, and was immediately into the VR experience of things all around him. He becomes visibly nervous when the shark shows up and continues to nervously / frantically look around for it until the demo ended. Much of this is in the video :D

London Heist turned out to be really fun, though I did run into a few moments of holding the gun while shooting and it wasn't that engaging. However, being able to toss the soda can, mess with the radio, the sun visor, storage compartment, even the air vents, and leaning out the window (or out the door if you open it) was all very amusing and entertaining. Also the dude leaning back and reacting to your aiming toward him, or calling you a moppet when you're out of ammo and need relead was very authentic Statham action film. Reloading was very satisfying, as well. A few times I reached down to grab the ammo even though I couldn't see it, and it worked!

Great video!

Mokubba

Great job on the video.

Natiko

Banned
Going up north for the holiday weekend this week and two stores nearby will have it, one of them all three days. Might have to check this out.

How long was the wait there? Many people?
The wait at ours was... none! We were there a tiny bit before the start time, and only waited while the lone PS employee setup the demo. Then, we stood in line for all of 2 minutes before getting our turns. When we left there line was 4 people long. I think since it's mainly announced online, they are seeking for walk-ins to take interest and try it out, rather than targeting the gaming enthusiasts outright.

border

Is there a reliable list of Gamestops that are having demos? Apparently Best Buy does not want the London Heist mission demo'ed due to its violent content.

Kinda hilarious considering they always have a display with the ultra-violent Call of Duty trailers running in a nonstop loop.

Within a day of trying EVE with PSVR I immediately bought
photo-9-full.jpg
Honestly that demo was just that and maybe a flightstick away from living the dream.

Is there a reliable list of Gamestops that are having demos? Apparently Best Buy does not want the London Heist mission demo'ed due to its violent content.

Kinda hilarious considering they always have a display with the ultra-violent Call of Duty trailers running in a nonstop loop.

It's in the OP

I still wish they had/would put a ring of rumble motors in the crown of the headset. Not just for a boot to the head, but also to simulate extra-sensory perception.

Soi-Fong

I still wish they had/would put a ring of rumble motors in the crown of the headset. Not just for a boot to the head, but also to simulate extra-sensory perception.

I'm not surprised they didn't. Stuff like motors and such would increase the weight which is something you don't want to do for an HMD.

olimpia84

Just a quick question, would you say that your vision is pretty good or do you require/possibly require corrective lenses? As someone who wears glasses my wife commented that on the HTC vive she has 0 problems with blur but on the PSVR she just could NOT find a sweet spot. I however had 0 issues on the PSVR.

My vision is not very good but I was using my contact lenses while trying both the Vive and PSVR and both looked blurry unfortunately.

I'm not surprised they didn't. Stuff like motors and such would increase the weight which is something you don't want to do for an HMD.
Are they really that heavy? Even a pair would be sufficient to do some pretty amazing stuff, but I'd like to see at least four. What are we talking? 50, maybe 100g tops? That seems a small price to pay for Spidey Sense…

M_A_C

Good video. The move controllers seem to work really well.

cheezcake

Are they really that heavy? Even a pair would be sufficient to do some pretty amazing stuff, but I'd like to see at least four. What are we talking? 50, maybe 100g tops? That seems a small price to pay for Spidey Sense…

Vibration probably not a good idea for the screens and any IPD adjustment mechanisms though. I imagine it'll probably turn your world into a blurfest.

Vibration probably not a good idea for the screens and any IPD adjustment mechanisms though. I imagine it'll probably turn your world into a blurfest.
Oh, good point. You'd need to isolate the display from the vibration somehow. Still, if they were in the ring of the crown, which is attached to your head pretty securely, I don't think it would impart that much motion to the display.

Also, I did a little looking and the DS3 weighs 55g more than a SixAxiS, but those motors are pretty enormous. I don't think the headset would necessarily need something that large. Something more like the "taptic engines" they have in the iPhones seem like they'd be enough to let the user know something was happening, and the smaller vibrators wouldn't jiggle the display so much either. :)

majik13

Well they did add weights to the back of the headset to balance weight away from the face. To evenly distribute weight around the head. So you could potetially replace some of that weight eith rumble motors.
Damn thats a good idea btw for fairly cheap but effective upgrades to VR. Im sure someone has tried testing rumble in VR?

But yeah would need to isolate any rumble or feedback to the head, and not the screen

Dazza

I guess they could always use electro stimulation, like those Dr Ho's muscle massagers. Those pads are super light

This may not be the place to ask but for those who didn't pre order, can we go and buy one at a store? It seems like all pre orders have been filled but they will still sell this at retail during the launch, right? I'm still not sure about whether I want to get one at launch. But if I do, I wonder if I can just walk into a Walmart after midnight and pick one up(assuming their aren't long lines for this).

This may not be the place to ask but for those who didn't pre order, can we go and buy one at a store? It seems like all pre orders have been filled but they will still sell this at retail during the launch, right? I'm still not sure about whether I'm getting one or not. But if I do, I wonder if I can just walk into a Walmart after midnight and pick one up(assuming their aren't long lines for this).
They haven't said much about retail availability specifically, but I think House said they expect to be supply constrained at least through the end of the year. They did say they'll be taking more pre-orders between now and launch, but they haven't said when. I'm guessing they're trying to figure out how many they can build first.

They haven't said much about retail availability specifically, but I think House said they expect to be supply constrained at least through the end of the year. They did say they'll be taking more pre-orders between now and launch, but they haven't said when. I'm guessing they're trying to figure out how many they can build first.

Good to hear. I know I want one, I just don't know if I should get one right away or wait until their is more software and experiences to try. I was really interested in the Vive, but I've decided to go with PSVR(whenever I do get it) as my first headset for a number of reasons. Mainly due to cost and I can't rearrange my small bedroom nor am I going to drag my PC to the living room whenever I want to play for a bit. It's too bad but I think PSVR will be good enough.

Good to hear. I know I want one, I just don't know if I should get one right away or wait until their is more software and experiences to try.
Tons of good looking stuff in development. Around 50 are scheduled by the end of the year, with more on the way. Seems likely to be the primary development focus for the near future as well. You could always pre-order at Amazon — whenever pre-orders open up again, of course — then just cancel it closer to launch if you feel like the software is failing.

cheezcake

Oh, good point. You'd need to isolate the display from the vibration somehow. Still, if they were in the ring of the crown, which is attached to your head pretty securely, I don't think it would impart that much motion to the display.

Also, I did a little looking and the DS3 weighs 55g more than a SixAxiS, but those motors are pretty enormous. I don't think the headset would necessarily need something that large. Something more like the "taptic engines" they have in the iPhones seem like they'd be enough to let the user know something was happening, and the smaller vibrators wouldn't jiggle the display so much either. :)

I could see it in future revisions. A slight buzz when you collide with an object could be useful. Try and Pavlov you away from violating game boundaries, but the sense of presence already accomplishes that task pretty damn well.

My guess is feeling your head vibrate could be unpleasant for some people. There are probably better ways to convey feedback from impacts, such as sound.

So is anyone going this weekend? I'm tempted to go again for the second time so I can try Ocean Descent as well as Super Hyper Cube.

So is anyone going this weekend? I'm tempted to go again for the second time so I can try Ocean Descent as well as Super Hyper Cube.

I've got some friends who were interested and my local place is doing it again, so I'm most likely going to try it again. Might go for the shark one this time since I avoided it last after seeing it on the screen about 4 times before going up for it lol

Top Bottom