• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denis Dyack in 1up yours. NeoGAF is "hurting society," justifies having it shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replicant

Y'know, just when I thought that other thread couldn't deliver more, Dyack decided to come up with new material to entertain us. :lol :lol :lol :lol

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
he's actually lost his mind, hasn't he

expecting accountability from forum posters, making vague legal threats, reorganizing things for the benefit of the human race -- i guess he's carrying on in his usual manner, but it isn't even comprehensible when it's directed at fucking gaf rather than The Video Game Industry or Video Game Journalism

all this because we don't like his dodgy game or his unpleasant personality

Aladuf

Banned
Superman00 said:
:lol, found this on GAF wiki. Seriously, what is he? In grade school? There is always people that gonna criticize you for your work.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

GAF wiki= Fucking Awesome!

Teknoman

AAK said:
Dyack thinks he has it bad though....... He should check out the Ken Kutaragi and Reggie photoshop threads.

Yeah but the difference is Reggie (dunno about Ken) actually likes some of em. At least he's mentioned em in a good way.

just tray

Banned
Its only when people get all personal that I see them be made an example of on the internet. Dude should just lighten up because if you aren't laughing with us.....

diunxx

Dyack should forget about the too human sequels and just keep making these kind of comments, the threads resulting are probably more entertaining that too human and free!

just tray said:
Its only when people get all personal that I see them be made an example of on the internet. Dude should just lighten up because if you aren't laughing with us.....

It's actually not personal at all. You should listen to it. It's much crazier than a personal grudge.

KTallguy

Banned
I'm sure when this is all over, he'll be able to come back and create something that we can all be excited to play.

At least something that looks better than Too Human.

I don't think he doesn't deserved to be bashed.
It's painful, but if you put your work out there and talk big, you better be able to back it up.

There will definitely be shittier games out there than Too Human, but the creators aren't so high on their own stuff that they can't admit that their own work is subpar.

MercuryLS

Banned
If the game didn't look like shit then there'd be nothing to worry about. After all this time, all the hype, huge budget, they game still looks amateurish. I mean you've got shit animations that would have looked awkward last gen, floating NPC's during cutscenes, etc. Get that shit out of here. GAF is just speaking the truth, sometimes the truth hurts Dennis.

Atomspike

Cry more Denis.

2j425af.gif

Siyou

neogaf wiki:
Denis Dyack of Silicon Knights has also been known to post drunken rants in desperate attempts to gain respect both for himself and his games. As of the 2nd of July 2007 Dyack has been unsuccessful in gaining either, I mean, how could he be? Have you seen the animations in the Too Human intro video? Psht! Good luck defending that Denis.
:lol :lol

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
and how fucking confused does the author of that summary sound? he has to sit there and describe these things with a straight face, because he's accountable to his bosses, and they're accountable to microsoft pr, and if he makes the slightest nod towards the SHEER MADNESS AND HILARITY OF ALL THIS he'll just have to rewrite

(this is roughly why i disliked my brief stint as a Video Game Journalist -- you go to some moronic konami corporate function where they trot out breakdancing crews and washed-up comedians and people in fursuits, and then you've got to write about the new frogger game for the nintendo ds)

Mason

How pathetic. Dude needs to grow up and let shit go.

Side note: While I really liked ED, Dyack has proven himself to be a total jackass and I will not purchase/rent/whatever any of his games now. Hope you're happy, man.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
On another note i had no idea that GAF was hated by so many people on 1up and the rest of the internet

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
drohne said:
i guess the question is 'have we trolled him, or has he trolled us?'

It runs both ways. Denis should know better than to pull stunts like this, but there are a huge number of GAFfers who should be pretty ashamed of their own behaviour.

Replicant

NinjaFridge said:
On another note i had no idea that GAF was hated by so many people on 1up and the rest of the internet

Everyone hates us. Now I'm just waiting for KOTAKU to spin this.

nestea said:
But what is it's contribution to society?

Video game news and entertainment like this one.

You know when Dyack said he would consider stepping down to focus on creating games, instead of being the head of Silicon Knights? I like that idea. I'm a big fan of Eternal Darkness, I liked Twin Snakes, and I'm psyched for Too Human. And I do think he has a semi-valid point. But he needs to focus on his games.

Lykathea

Banned
I haven't even heard the Dyack segment (and generally I usually agree with his perspective) but him appearing to go out of his way to bring down NeoGAF seems pointless. Sure, the GAF is mismanaged and has a shit-ton of trolls and all that, but, at the end of the day, who cares? It is an Internet forum full of geeks with nothing better to do than make endless Dyack hamburger gifs (in the case of Dyack related topics), sure it's offensive and quit often, socially dysfunctional, but as a real life game designer/proprietor with a decent resume, Dyack should be channeling his intellectual capacities elsewhere--you know, where it would be deemed worthwhile.

just tray

Banned
Dear Dyack,

You can redeem yourself by:

A) releasing Too Human for free
Or
B) when Too Human is released it is game of the year candidate for 360 (better go sabotage Gears 2):lol :lol

h3ro

Do you guys think he would be doing all this hyping/viral marketing if the game didn't suck?

Question to the mods/owner of GAF, can this be construed as a threat? Based on our ToS, are gifs of his "game" enough for him to sue?

nib95

Banned
NinjaFridge said:

Dan Hsu was marginally (I think?) annoyed off at the GAF, when he departed from 1UP, a lot of people brought up some things he wasn't all too happy with, the GoW review, the Killzone 2 vs Halo 3 AI thing etc. There was a bit off a debate about it and yea lol.

Diablos

So he read some books to be inspired to... post... to prove a point. Guess he couldn't dream this up by himself.

NinjaFridge said:
1up wrote a nice article about GAF calling GAF essential to the gaming industry.

I'm totally catching a case of deja-vu here. I'm flashing back to a couple of years ago when Dyack gave his tongue-lashing to Mark MacDonald and the EGM/1up crew saying that prematurely critiquing 'previews' is effectively killing game journalism and the backlash that journos will face from developers will be severe.

Guess he's found a new scapegoat(s)

drohne said:
and how fucking confused does the author of that summary sound? he has to sit there and describe these things with a straight face, because he's accountable to his bosses, and they're accountable to microsoft pr, and if he makes the slightest nod towards the SHEER MADNESS AND HILARITY OF ALL THIS he'll just have to rewrite

Wha? I was not thinking about my bosses or Microsoft PR remotely when I wrote that. I was just doing my best to sum up a wild hour-long segment with Dyack that was unlike anything I've sat in on before. If I sound confused, it's because Dyack talked about a LOT of stuff and I was trying to make a succinct story about it.

MrDaravon

LukeSmith said:
I'm probably doing it wrong, but I've always felt like NeoGAF was about entertainment.

Exactly. Sometimes people I know who don't really post here or post at other boards will try to give me a hard time about how this place doesn't have a "community," or it's full of idiots and trolls and gifs, but so what? This is a place to get news, rumors, and just generally talk about games and have a good time. GAF is not nearly as Serious Business as I think a lot of people think it is, or think that it should be.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Denis Dyack said:
"I went through all of this for two reasons.... If you're going to look at the NeoGAF forum as a non-profit organization, if it does not reform itself, it's eventually going to crumble. There's going to be a point where they step over the line where someone's going to shut them down. That would be a loss for everyone.... The question I have to ask the moderators of GAF: Are you going to follow your own rules? With people making GIFs of myself that are, I would say, attacking me.... Why haven't 180 people been banned now? If I wanted to move in and shut that place down, do I have grounds under their own forum policy?"

Bewilderment. Amusement. Pity.

Drek

Sounds to me like he's realizing that the game is mediocre at best, previews are calling it out as such, and so now his tactic is to deflect away from the mediocrity of his own work and instead attach it's likely lack of success onto negative comments stemming from a message board.

That's ultimately all in the hopes of finding some company foolish enough to fund another big project for him.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Im surprised GAF's held out for 4 pages without posting a mock-up of Dyack. Could it be that we've grown up (and therefore implying he hasn't)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom