• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I still refuse...
I just can't accept being helped like this. Doesn't feel right to me.

I may say I push on, but doesn't mean I'm capable of doing so.

It's some little slice of online pride versus your life. I'd resist, too, but but you really need to get that little push onto your feet. You're not getting anywhere with what you're doing now.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
What in hell....
You're probably mad because of what I did, but that isn't necessary.

I think he's trying the insult-motivation. It's a thing. Some people need that kind of talking to, not sure if you're one of those. ;)

It's some little slice of online pride versus your life. I'd resist, too, but but you really need to get that little push onto your feet. You're not getting anywhere with what you're doing now.

Yeah... what's the worst that can happen from accepting our help? It's not like we judge you or will ask for the money back, nor do we expect you to feel better right away. This isn't an "investment". It's just offering help, which you need.

coldvein

Banned
oomi: i in no way meant to insult you. i apologize if i caused any trauma or offense. i really think you're awesome. that's what i meant when i called you a son of a bitch. <3.

thats just how i talk to my people.

coldvein

Banned
hi, my name is coldvein and i've suffered with anxiety and depression for most of my life.

it usually takes root in thoughts of uncertainty, or fear. like .. i dont know what my life is about, i dont know where i'm going, i dont think i can be as good as other people. well adjusted people. i feel this crazy electricity when i'm around other people - sometimes its hard for me to talk. its hard for me to express who i am and how i feel to other people. sometimes i feel like i'm a disappointment to my mother. like the way i am is .. letting everybody down.

but i have an ego. my life exists in my mind - even when i'm feeling shitty i know that the most important piece of this whole puzzle is ME. i'm important. i'm as important as the next guy. i've had moments in my life where i wanted to die. when i was ready to give up. when those moments have come, i've been lucky. lucky enough to look down into myself and find the will to go on. or lucky enough to have a mother around to tell me "i dont care if you want to die. i love you and you will live for me no matter what". and ill say "i dont want to" and shell say "well i did you a favor by giving birth to you, so do me a favor and just hang in there". and i have.

right now, i feel as good as i ever have in my life. i still feel fucked up. i still feel really dark and depressed sometimes. i still feel really anxious most of the time. but when i look back and think "how did i get to this point? this relative peace that i have?". there isn't a huge obvious answer that i can share with you guys. like a DO THIS AND YOU TOO CAN BE HAPPY thing. looking back, all i see is that i struggled the whole time. i fought, i cried, i suffered. i took the pills, i got off of the pills. i did drugs, i got off the drugs. i drank heavily, i still do from time to time. the only certain thing to me is that this struggle has built my character. i haven't given up and i never will. and other people see that in me, and appreciate it, and are attracted to me.

i guess my only advice is not to give up.

i've built everything on an ethic. which is not to fold, ever. adversity doesn't "come around", its always here. i define myself by my resistance to it.

oomi: i in no way meant to insult you. i apologize if i caused any trauma or offense. i really think you're awesome. that's what i meant when i called you a son of a bitch. <3.

thats just how i talk to my people.

That's how I took it too. <3 Keep up the good fight, cold. I do that sometimes too, but only to myself. "Fuck you brain, get your shit together! WE CAN DO THIS." etc.

A lot of you here are lucky,I've been reading some of the posts and I actually wish I was in your position :)

This isn't a competition. :) Everyone has something, and their problems are just as valid as anyone else's. There is always someone worse off than you are. It doesn't matter WHY someone is depressed, just that they are.

Sad_Panda

Don’t feel too confident about posting things online, but oh well. Since I don’t really know where to go for advice anyway, I guess this thread is as good a place as any.

I’ve been feeling apathetic and severely depressed for the past few months or so, and since January, barely left my apartment save for grocery shopping and the occasional hangout with friends. The latter being truly the only moment where I can let it all go and have a good time. I’ve also had morbid thoughts for the past weeks, but did not have the guts to go through with suicide. Well, except for an episode one month ago where I sat on the 4th-story windowsill of my apartment half-drunk for an hour or so, not giving the slightest care if I fell or not.

I’m originally from France, but majored in Economics in the States, and have tried to apply to a Master’s Degree back in my hometown in France. For some BS administrative reason, I got rejected, and had to apply for 3rd year classes. This did not really suit well with me, as not only did I get all of those courses covered way back then, I could actually be TEACHING them. As my initial motivation was basically gone around November, I dropped out of college shortly thereafter.

Since then, I have been tutoring kids in English on the side for 1) keeping myself busy 2) getting money. Although I did cancel all commitments I had recently ‘cause I couldn’t muster up enough motivation to deal with a bunch of 10-year old brats early in the morning. I’ve applied to a couple jobs here and there, and almost got one in Paris as a French/English translator, but someone else got the job. That really hurt my self-confidence, so I haven’t sent any application letters/resumes since.

On top of that, one of my friends tried to kill himself on NYE while we were on a trip around Europe, and I was the only one around to stop that. He had a lot of personal issues to deal with, but I’m still blaming myself for being oblivious to that fact before. Some other personal stuff piled up on top of that, but I really don’t feel comfortable speaking about it on a public forum. All I can say is that it only further added to my current depressive state.

So, really, I don’t know where to go from now, especially since I’ve never had any episodes of severe depression before in my life. I’m stuck in a weird sort of Catch-22 where I don’t really wanna hang out with people, but don’t wanna stay in my apartment wallowing in self-pity. Where I know I need to get out there and find a job, but can’t be arsed to get out of bed until 4PM. And while I actually have good friends - and a SO, but she’s dealing through some heavy shit ATM and I don’t really wanna bother her with mine - whom I can rely on, whenever I see them, I don’t really wanna break the mood talking about how I really feel. So, yeah, those days, I’m mostly staying at home, staring at the ceiling for hours on end. And I don’t really know how to break the cycle. My best friend is in town for two weeks, so I’ve been able to put everything on the side for a little while and actually have fun, but I still cannot bring myself to speak about my problems to him, or anyone else for that matter.

Don’t feel too confident about posting things online, but oh well. Since I don’t really know where to go for advice anyway, I guess this thread is as good a place as any.

Have you thought about seeing someone? People scoff at it, but seriously, talking to an impartial stranger who won't judge sometimes helps a ton.

Also, first off, don't blame yourself for not noticing how depressed your friend was. You said yourself that you are unwilling to discuss your depression with your best friend, he was likely in the same boat, doing everything he could to hide from those he cared about how badly off he was. It's the nature of the beast; we need help, but we don't want to cry out for it, and get more depressed because people in our lives continue on as normal when we are slowly dying inside. It's a vicious cycle; we hide it, so people don't notice; people don't notice, so they don't actually care; we get more depressed, we hide it....etc.

If you ever need to rant, myself and several other people are available for pm conversations. I might not give the best advice (I seriously suck at it sometimes) but I am a good listener if you need to bounce some ideas off someone.

Tabz

This isn't a competition. :) Everyone has something, and their problems are just as valid as anyone else's. There is always someone worse off than you are. It doesn't matter WHY someone is depressed, just that they are.

I'm not considering as a competition.I'm just trying to make you guys cheer up.My bad.

I'm not considering as a competition.I'm just trying to make you guys cheer up.My bad.

Well, it breaks down to making people feel weak or stupid for being depressed about 'silly things'. People do that in their lives already. "Oh it's not that bad, cheer up!" Depression isn't about being not cheerful, it's an illness. It's an incredibly hard illness to fight, since your brain convinces you that fighting isn't worth it. You could have the best life ever and still be depressed. People need to be encouraged to fight it, not told that they shouldn't be depressed in the first place. That gives more fuel to the stupid brain tricks of being worthless and such.

Sad_Panda

Have you thought about seeing someone? People scoff at it, but seriously, talking to an impartial stranger who won't judge sometimes helps a ton.

I've considered it, but therapy here costs a pretty penny. And judging from feedback I've gotten, it didn't really help anyone. I guess turning online to expose my problems to complete strangers will probably be more helpful.

I don't know if I actually have bi-polar (NOS) or not, but depression and anxiety are for certain.

This combo:

Lithium Carbonate (300 mg x2)
Adderall XR (20 mg x 2)
Effexor XR (150 mg)
Klonopin (.5 mg x 2-3)

Does work.

I feel more like my past self, and while I still stress out a lot it's bearable.
I smoke weed which lifts my mood and keeps me social. Adderall counters any dullness and keeps me on track with school. It's easier to challenge negative thought patterns when you don't feel like shit.

I don't drink. Not exercising at the moment, but I'll pick it up again in March.

People trying out medication: hold out if it's not working.
Unfortunately, it can take a while till it sorts itself out--"perfection" should not be the goal.
Find meds that help so life becomes manageable.

Yeah, telling people who are depressed to cheer up only makes them more depressed.

There's no switch to just magically cheer up. Making light of people's problems is a no no as well.

It really comes down to people not understanding what depression is.

It's sad as well to see people say that depressed people are just "attention whores" or that they have no reason to be depressed because of what they have.

I've considered it, but therapy here costs a pretty penny. And judging from feedback I've gotten, it didn't really help anyone. I guess turning online to expose my problems to complete strangers will probably be more helpful.

The for-profit medical system is terrible. Since I'm unemployed I get mental services from the county (I live in Los Angeles) and I don't know how I would have survived without them

Smiley90

I think I'll go to my university's councelling services tomorrow and make an appointment. It's free so it can't hurt, right.

Tabz

Well, it breaks down to making people feel weak or stupid for being depressed about 'silly things'. People do that in their lives already. "Oh it's not that bad, cheer up!" Depression isn't about being not cheerful, it's an illness. It's an incredibly hard illness to fight, since your brain convinces you that fighting isn't worth it. You could have the best life ever and still be depressed. People need to be encouraged to fight it, not told that they shouldn't be depressed in the first place. That gives more fuel to the stupid brain tricks of being worthless and such.

My post was really just me being in regret,I'm sorry if I mislead you.I actually REALLY wish I was in some of your positions.I'm not just trying to cheer up gaffers..I'm saying this out of regret.Because I was depressed before and hit me really bad.I was nothing but happy guy ho used to go to work ,chiill with his friends on my day off/weekend,but things started to get bad.My parents got divorced,my best friend died and my brother got pipolar from all the amphetamines he was taking,this all happened in a week,so I got to heroin as a runnaway.I've been stuck with this god of all drugs for 3 years. I lost my job,I sold everything I got...I can't even practice my main hobby anymore which is playing video games..I've been to jail for more than 5 times,not because I got caught,it's actually my dad informing on me!! I wish I can go to Rehab but,I can't afford it.I lost my friends,my mom barely gives a damn about me.All I have left is this laptop and my dad and my GF who's been supporting and never left my side since the day I started..I can't even go out of the house for god's sake.I have NOTHING..and I'm getting tired of it.

I actually droped a tear while typing this.I've never been open about my habit to anyone before,my emotions are dead.Ty for whoever is listening.

My post was really just me being in regret,I'm sorry if I mislead you.I actually REALLY wish I was in some of your positions.I'm not just trying to cheer up gaffers..I'm saying this out of regret.Because I was depressed before and hit me really bad.I was nothing but happy guy ho used to go to work ,chiill with his friends on my day off/weekend,but things started to get bad.My parents got divorced,my best friend died and my brother got pipolar from all the amphetamines he was taking,this all happened in a week,so I got to heroin as a runnaway.I've been stuck with this god of all drugs for 3 years. I lost my job,I sold everything I got...I can't even practice my main hobby anymore which is playing video games..I've been to jail for more than 5 times,not because I got caught,it's actually my dad informing on me!! I wish I can go to Rehab but,I can't afford it.I lost my friends,my mom barely gives a damn about me.All I have left is this laptop and my dad and my GF who's been supporting and never left my side since the day I started..I can't even go out of the house for god's sake.I have NOTHING..and I'm getting tired of it.

That's a pretty precarious situation you're in. I apologize for dogpiling on you like that.

My input was unnecessary.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
hi, my name is coldvein and i've suffered with anxiety and depression for most of my life.

it usually takes root in thoughts of uncertainty, or fear. like .. i dont know what my life is about, i dont know where i'm going, i dont think i can be as good as other people. well adjusted people. i feel this crazy electricity when i'm around other people - sometimes its hard for me to talk. its hard for me to express who i am and how i feel to other people. sometimes i feel like i'm a disappointment to my mother. like the way i am is .. letting everybody down.

but i have an ego. my life exists in my mind - even when i'm feeling shitty i know that the most important piece of this whole puzzle is ME. i'm important. i'm as important as the next guy. i've had moments in my life where i wanted to die. when i was ready to give up. when those moments have come, i've been lucky. lucky enough to look down into myself and find the will to go on. or lucky enough to have a mother around to tell me "i dont care if you want to die. i love you and you will live for me no matter what". and ill say "i dont want to" and shell say "well i did you a favor by giving birth to you, so do me a favor and just hang in there". and i have.

right now, i feel as good as i ever have in my life. i still feel fucked up. i still feel really dark and depressed sometimes. i still feel really anxious most of the time. but when i look back and think "how did i get to this point? this relative peace that i have?". there isn't a huge obvious answer that i can share with you guys. like a DO THIS AND YOU TOO CAN BE HAPPY thing. looking back, all i see is that i struggled the whole time. i fought, i cried, i suffered. i took the pills, i got off of the pills. i did drugs, i got off the drugs. i drank heavily, i still do from time to time. the only certain thing to me is that this struggle has built my character. i haven't given up and i never will. and other people see that in me, and appreciate it, and are attracted to me.

i guess my only advice is not to give up.

i've built everything on an ethic. which is not to fold, ever. adversity doesn't "come around", its always here. i define myself by my resistance to it.

Thanks so much for sharing, coldvein. That kind of wisdom is so hard to express - I can't do it in four times the words. I think many of us want to say that same thing - we're broken, too, but we don't give up. You've got to fight this shitty illness. Giving up is so appealing, and you just get so tired, but you draw that strength from what you can, who you can, when you can. And then you're pushing 30, or 32 (we're old!) and you realize that you're still going and you're slowly winning this thing.

I'm just rambling - sorry. I really appreciate you, and everyone else in this thread, who makes that difficult first post, "coming out" as depressed. It's hard, and I know some people feel silly - like they're not "worthy" of posting next to a regular like Fiction (who, holy shit, IS incredible!), but she keeps saying it, and it's true - it's really appreciated, and there's no contest to be the most depressed, or to somehow give INCREDIBLE advice that will cure everyone. We're all working on this and adding our own little bits of wisdom. I admire that courage and honesty. Oomi doesn't see it, but I think we all admire the shit out of her for both helping others and being so brutally honest. You guys all impress the hell out of me. I don't feel worthy posting in here half the time.

Thanks so much for sharing, coldvein. That kind of wisdom is so hard to express - I can't do it in four times the words. I think many of us want to say that same thing - we're broken, too, but we don't give up. You've got to fight this shitty illness. Giving up is so appealing, and you just get so tired, but you draw that strength from what you can, who you can, when you can. And then you're pushing 30, or 32 (we're old!) and you realize that you're still going and you're slowly winning this thing.

I'm just rambling - sorry. I really appreciate you, and everyone else in this thread, who makes that difficult first post, "coming out" as depressed. It's hard, and I know some people feel silly - like they're not "worthy" of posting next to a regular like Fiction (who, holy shit, IS incredible!), but she keeps saying it, and it's true - it's really appreciated, and there's no contest to be the most depressed, or to somehow give INCREDIBLE advice that will cure everyone. We're all working on this and adding our own little bits of wisdom. I admire that courage and honesty. Oomi doesn't see it, but I think we all admire the shit out of her for both helping others and being so brutally honest. You guys all impress the hell out of me. I don't feel worthy posting in here half the time.

It's kind of funny, I've read numerous times that depression is an illness, but I've always considered it part of me, like it's the deepest part of me that knows the "truth" so to speak.

It's only now that that little fact has registered.

ZaCH3000

It's kind of funny, I've read numerous times that depression is an illness, but I've always considered it part of me, like it's the deepest part of me that knows the "truth" so to speak.

Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like you suffer from the same cynical condition I do, which is simply cynicism. There is a strong possibility I'm wrong, however. If I am I apologize. I've also only read this post so perhaps you have expressed your feelings in previous posts, which if that is the case I also apologize.

Can I ask a question that is directed towards everyone in this thread? Please answer, I'm genuinely curious. What is/are your passions?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!

I totally understand. Depression is a huge part of who I am. I've learned so much from being ill, and I research it, I read about it for fun, I basically only participate in this thread on GAF...I'd be a very different person if I did not have depression.

heidern

...I lost my friends,my mom barely gives a damn about me.All I have left is this laptop and my dad and my GF who's been supporting and never left my side since the day I started..I can't even go out of the house for god's sake.I have NOTHING..and I'm getting tired of it.

I actually droped a tear while typing this.I've never been open about my habit to anyone before,my emotions are dead.Ty for whoever is listening.

I actually wish I was in your position (and that's not even a joke :))

To be fair, I've never had a drug addiction. It still shocks me whenever I read in this thread that people are having to pay for help. Rehab is the way to go, but if you can't afford it, well the free PStec tracks can be used to break addictions so that's an option. If you want to give that a go I can show you the method for it. The other good thing I can say, is that you used to be happy and it was identifiable events that affected you. You've got tangible things that you can work on to try to improve things.

It's a good first step. You're asking for advice directly so I'll give you some nice direct advice :)

You've had depression for a few months including suicidal and morbid thoughts. Your situation is serious. On a scale of 1-10 it's a 9 or a 10. The correct thing to do is to put a lot of time and effort into trying to improve your situation. The other correct thing to do is to get as much help as possible. Go to your GP and explain the situation. He'll give you advice and options including possibly therapy and medication.

In terms of your friends, not wanting to break the mood is not good reasoning. If you end up killing yourself that's going to really break the mood. Just talk to them, if they don't want to help you they won't, if they do they will. It's not like you're asking them to dedicate their lives to you and see to your every need. Human beings can make their own choices and are capable of climbing Mount Everest, writing an entire book and sailing around the world. You're asking for like 0.1% of their brain power. It's not a big deal and they're your friends, you'd be there for them!

Same with your Serious Other. She's not serious if you can't discuss your serious issues with her. If she's got heavy shit to deal with that makes it even simpler. You support her in her difficulties, she supports you in yours. Both of your lives become easier; win, win. It's not complicated. Talk to your girlfriend, talk to your friends, talk to your family, talk to your doctor, talk to whoever. Each time you tell someone, it'll become easier to tell someone else. You only being a tiny burden and whatever you take you can easily give back 10 times over.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Page 2 of my thoughts on drug therapy!

Part one

EPSON002_zpseb4630d2.jpg

I totally understand. Depression is a huge part of who I am. I've learned so much from being ill, and I research it, I read about it for fun, I basically only participate in this thread on GAF...I'd be a very different person if I did not have depression.

I often think about what kind of person I would be if I didn't feel this way about myself. I imagine someone who doesn't let anything hold him back from pursuing his dreams. If depression really is an illness, maybe there's a possibility I could become that person. At least that's what I'm trying to tell myself right now.

Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like you suffer from the same cynical condition I do, which is simply cynicism. There is a strong possibility I'm wrong, however. If I am I apologize. I've also only read this post so perhaps you have expressed your feelings in previous posts, which if that is the case I also apologize.

Can I ask a question that is directed towards everyone in this thread? Please answer, I'm genuinely curious. What is/are your passions?

I should have clarified, I meant the "truth" about myself, not others or their actions/or motives behind actions.

I can be cynical, however I do not think frequent self hatred/loathing and suicidal thoughts are aspects of cynicism.

To answer your question I have made posts here before detailing some of my issues however they are few since I tend to lurk far more than I post.

My passions are gaming, drawing,and music.

I often think about what kind of person I would be if I didn't feel this way about myself. I imagine someone who doesn't let anything hold him back from pursuing his dreams. If depression really is an illness, maybe there's a possibility I could become that person. At least that's what I'm trying to tell myself right now.

I should have clarified, I meant the "truth" about myself, not others or their actions/or motives behind actions.

I can be cynical, however I do not think frequent self hatred/loathing and suicidal thoughts are aspects of cynicism.

To answer your question I have made posts here before detailing some of my issues however they are few since I tend to lurk far more than I post.

My passions are gaming, drawing,and music.

I don't follow, what is the "truth" about yourself? What do you mean when you say it knows your truth?

Exr

I’ve been feeling apathetic and severely depressed for the past few months or so, and since January, barely left my apartment save for grocery shopping and the occasional hangout with friends. The latter being truly the only moment where I can let it all go and have a good time. I’ve also had morbid thoughts for the past weeks, but did not have the guts to go through with suicide. Well, except for an episode one month ago where I sat on the 4th-story windowsill of my apartment half-drunk for an hour or so, not giving the slightest care if I fell or not.

I’m originally from France, but majored in Economics in the States, and have tried to apply to a Master’s Degree back in my hometown in France. For some BS administrative reason, I got rejected, and had to apply for 3rd year classes. This did not really suit well with me, as not only did I get all of those courses covered way back then, I could actually be TEACHING them. As my initial motivation was basically gone around November, I dropped out of college shortly thereafter.

Since then, I have been tutoring kids in English on the side for 1) keeping myself busy 2) getting money. Although I did cancel all commitments I had recently ‘cause I couldn’t muster up enough motivation to deal with a bunch of 10-year old brats early in the morning. I’ve applied to a couple jobs here and there, and almost got one in Paris as a French/English translator, but someone else got the job. That really hurt my self-confidence, so I haven’t sent any application letters/resumes since.

On top of that, one of my friends tried to kill himself on NYE while we were on a trip around Europe, and I was the only one around to stop that. He had a lot of personal issues to deal with, but I’m still blaming myself for being oblivious to that fact before. Some other personal stuff piled up on top of that, but I really don’t feel comfortable speaking about it on a public forum. All I can say is that it only further added to my current depressive state.

So, really, I don’t know where to go from now, especially since I’ve never had any episodes of severe depression before in my life. I’m stuck in a weird sort of Catch-22 where I don’t really wanna hang out with people, but don’t wanna stay in my apartment wallowing in self-pity. Where I know I need to get out there and find a job, but can’t be arsed to get out of bed until 4PM. And while I actually have good friends - and a SO, but she’s dealing through some heavy shit ATM and I don’t really wanna bother her with mine - whom I can rely on, whenever I see them, I don’t really wanna break the mood talking about how I really feel. So, yeah, those days, I’m mostly staying at home, staring at the ceiling for hours on end. And I don’t really know how to break the cycle. My best friend is in town for two weeks, so I’ve been able to put everything on the side for a little while and actually have fun, but I still cannot bring myself to speak about my problems to him, or anyone else for that matter.

Honestly as fantastic as forums can be, having a best friend is an amazing thing because you can learn a ton from talking to them about your problems. Why is it hard to talk to him about these things?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Happy birthday to one of our best - Oomikami! We set up the email account oomisbirthday@gmail.com ("oomi's birthday") and just sent her the password so it's all hers now (it's a little tricky to respect people's privacy AND give a private place for birthday gifts and well-wishes!). Let her know how much she means to us! We know it's tough going, Oomi, but there's a lot of love for you here! I know it's hard for you to accept and believe, but your friends here really want you to know it.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I can't believe I almost missed Fiction's birthday, too! So two of our best members share this birthday! So love for Oomi and Fiction! What would this thread be without them?

Prax

What's with all you pisces. lol
Nothing but a buncho sensitive sweethearts!
(My little sister's birthday is on the 3rd~!)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO EVERYONE!~!!!

Oomikami, Fiction, Bagels, and everyone else too that I missed and/or will have a birthday coming up! XD
(Phew, I think that covers my bases..)

I will be back to spam you all soon~! <3

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
What's with all you pisces. lol
Nothing but a buncho sensitive sweethearts!
(My little sister's birthday is on the 3rd~!)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO EVERYONE!~!!!

Oomikami, Fiction, Bagels, and everyone else too that I missed and/or will have a birthday coming up! XD
(Phew, I think that covers my bases..)

I will be back to spam you all soon~! <3

This has all just been a test-run for MY birthday. I hope everyone realizes that.

Smiley90

This has all just been a test-run for MY birthday. I hope everyone realizes that.

Oh we know. You'll wake up BAM, fireworks. (Okay, maybe not fireworks.)

On another note, after staring at the signup sheet for like 20mins trying to answer "what brings you to councelling today" in 3 lines, I made an appointment for next Tuesday :x

Kimawolf

So, I been debating posting this in this thread for awhile, but figured now is as good a time as any. As I said earlier this week I found out one of my real good friends was murdered by her husband. Suffice to say it really messed me up. I don't know if its... Depression, persay, but I just have a really bad feeling in the pit of my stomach, and even though I realize it's the happenings of a deranged and super jealous man, I can't help but think I should had seen the signs or been able to do something more than I did.

I know it's not my fault, I know i couldn't had prevented it considering the distance between us, but it just is a really sour feeling finally realizing, i'll never get another email, another IM, text, another anything from this person anymore. I guess i'm coming to grips with it, but it still just really leaves me with a... sour look? and just over all bad feeling that doesnt seem to really go away. It gets numb at times, and then thinking that also makes me feel like a shitty friend. How can I be numb to something like that so soon? we were REAL close friends, basically best friends, so how can I be numb now to her death? At other times though that sinking feeling in my stomach returns and just puts a damper on everything.

I don't know if it's depression as I said, but I do know as a writer, it can help to keep getting the feelings out someplace, and this is as good a place as anyplace else.

Thanks for listening.

Sad_Panda

Honestly as fantastic as forums can be, having a best friend is an amazing thing because you can learn a ton from talking to them about your problems. Why is it hard to talk to him about these things?

I've always kept things to myself and never talked about anything too personal, even with my best friends. I realize that's odd, but I've pretty much always been that way.
And I just flipped off on my best friend 'cause he didn't feel like going out tonight. Basically called him a selfish asshole and hung up. Tried to call back and text to apologize, but he won't answer. Fuck me. I'm going for a run to vent all that frustration.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hi.
So I've just returned from my doctor with a script for Lexapro. I am not interested in detailing my woes here. I just need some advice. I have two things ailing me currently: my depression and a work related strain in my neck. I've missed more work than I probably should have over the last year, mainly due to depression. My Dr.'s note excuses me from work yesterday and today and also mentions I've missed about ~1 day a month for the past year. I also have appointments to see a physical therapist twice a week for the next four weeks to try and fix my neck.

I'm just confused about what I should tell my boss. My Doctor explicitly stated that I'm under no obligation to detail why exactly I'm seeing a doctor and why I'm missing work, the only thing that matters is I have a note from him, however on a personal level I feel I do owe some amount of explanation to my work. Its not a bad place. I'm just hesitant about fully explaining my depression/anxiety problems to them, purely from a "covering my own ass" perspective. I'm not sure if its appropriate or if it could bar me from some type of promotion in the future, or what. From the cut-throat "everyone watches his own back" perspective I kind of just want to say "hey, i have something else unrelated to work that I'm getting help with, thats all you need to know." But on the other hand I don't really have any reason to distrust them and I do feel like I need to explain my spotty attendance to them at least in some capacity.

Its just this weird confused issue because I do have this neck thing that I'm now being treated for, but I also have this other crazy longstanding issue that I'm being treated for coincidentally at the same time.

Should I be withholding, or should I just roll like I usually do and be real about it?

GrayFoxPL

Hi.
So I've just returned from my doctor with a script for Lexapro. I am not interested in detailing my woes here. I just need some advice. I have two things ailing me currently: my depression and a work related strain in my neck. I've missed more work than I probably should have over the last year, mainly due to depression. My Dr.'s note excuses me from work yesterday and today and also mentions I've missed about ~1 day a month for the past year. I also have appointments to see a physical therapist twice a week for the next four weeks to try and fix my neck.

I'm just confused about what I should tell my boss. My Doctor explicitly stated that I'm under no obligation to detail why exactly I'm seeing a doctor and why I'm missing work, the only thing that matters is I have a note from him, however on a personal level I feel I do owe some amount of explanation to my work. Its not a bad place. I'm just hesitant about fully explaining my depression/anxiety problems to them, purely from a "covering my own ass" perspective. I'm not sure if its appropriate or if it could bar me from some type of promotion in the future, or what. From the cut-throat "everyone watches his own back" perspective I kind of just want to say "hey, i have something else unrelated to work that I'm getting help with, thats all you need to know." But on the other hand I don't really have any reason to distrust them and I do feel like I need to explain my spotty attendance to them at least in some capacity.

Its just this weird confused issue because I do have this neck thing that I'm now being treated for, but I also have this other crazy longstanding issue that I'm being treated for coincidentally at the same time.

Should I be withholding, or should I just roll like I usually do and be real about it?

I think your doctor wants to save your ass in your work. Who knows what your boss would do if you detail him your problems. He could pat you on the back and 3 months later you could get fired over "unrelated" issue he'll make up.
You got neck problem and other ones are not something you own your boss explanation. Well it's just my babbling. I kinda distrust everyone.

heidern

Kimawolf, grieving is a natural process, it is similar to depression. Just remember, there's no particular way that you should feel. You may cry all the time, you may be numb, you may get back to jumping for joy at being alive. However you feel, it's valid, just accept it. Let that natural healing process take place. Try to gently bring positivity back into your life, but remember, you've got lots of time to do that.

I'm just confused about what I should tell my boss. My Doctor explicitly stated that I'm under no obligation to detail why exactly I'm seeing a doctor and why I'm missing work, the only thing that matters is I have a note from him, however on a personal level I feel I do owe some amount of explanation to my work.

Your workplace only exists because it is a part of society. It has an obligation to society to respect the medical privacy of its staff. You don't owe them any more explanation. Your doctors note fulfils your obligation 100%.

Oh, happy birthday Fiction. I didn't know what to get you, so I got myself some chocolate and ate it and it tasted good. Hopefully that makes you a bit happier.

And happy birthday Oomikami. I didn't know what to get you either, so I slashed my wrist. The next time you get the urge to hurt yourself, you can give it a miss, I've taken that turn for you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom