• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Despite of PS5 & Xbox SX CPU , GPU & RAM being closer in specs than past rival consoles I think the difference in games will end up bigger.

onQ123

The specs might be as close as they have ever been but this is the 1st time competing console makers have had different platform philosophies (excluding Nintendo with Wii , Wii U & Switch)

This generation the only games that really set PS4 apart from Xbox One was Dreams & the VR games but they are also the only games that really set the PS4 apart from the PS3 but when you look at what's being said about PS5 it seems that they want to change game designs, That's something that Sony haven't really done since they introduced the PS1 & Microsoft haven't really changed much since the 1st Xbox. But they did have the PS Move & Kinect platforms near the end of last generation that made the consoles different.

For example PS5 focus on audio & having a mic array standard on the controller is a lot like what Microsoft was planning for with Xbox One when the Kinect was standard but they was forced to drop the standard Kinect within the 1st few months so they never reached the goal of NUI but Amazon & Google came along with Alexa / Google Home & now people treat them like they are part of the family. It's just a mic & can easily be plugged into a Xbox controller but for the devs just knowing that the mic array is standard for the PS5 means that they can make voice input just as important as button presses in their games.

Kenpachii

Voice commands are not wanted in gaming, nintendo already tried this on there handhelds, microsoft tries this. Nobody cared.

Mic's are used and will be used for online gaming because of no keyboard solutions, and frankly everybody that cares already has a headphone for that with a mic at this point.

The only real thing i could see this have any use is when u have to deal with passwords etc, that u no longer have to use a controller to input the symbols but can just say it. However these type of puzzles can be easily changed.

I guess its handy for people that don't want to deal with headphones but still communicate and use there tv set for sound only.

Last edited:

onQ123

I like the idea of voice commands. Kinect had in-game voice commands but people quickly discovered they prefer the immediacy of pressing a button. Voice commands can be significantly error prone as well.

But standard Kinect was pulled from Xbox One before it could really get a user base big enough to make it worth a while for devs to put time & money into making games around the voice inputs. Also with the SSD games can have large datasets with responses to just about anything that you say & respond quickly.

onQ123

Voice commands are not wanted in gaming, nintendo already tried this on there handhelds, microsoft tries this. Nobody cared.

Mic's are used and will be used for online gaming because of no keyboard solutions, and frankly everybody that cares already has a headphone for that with a mic at this point.

The only real thing i could see this have any use is when u have to deal with passwords etc, that u no longer have to use a controller to input the symbols but can just say it. However these type of puzzles can be easily changed.

I guess its handy for people that don't want to deal with headphones but still communicate and use there tv set for sound only.

The mic was a example but you're wrong people play games with Google Home & Echo all the time

onQ123

Ok - then elaborate. What exactly do you propose that devs should use the mic array for in games?

It can't be that hard for you to comprehend SMH I just told you this isn't just about voice commands that was just an example.

Sony want to separate PS5 from PS4 while Microsoft want to get the point across that it's all Xbox no matter if you're playing on Xbox One , Xbox SX or Xcloud , The controller basically stayed the same while Sony went as far as to change the name of the controller from Dualshock to Dualsense.

The end result may be that the bulk of games still end up the same but from the talks so far it seems that they are going down different paths for the 1st time.

TBiddy

It can't be that hard for you to comprehend SMH I just told you this isn't just about voice commands that was just an example.

Pretend I'm daft then. Explain to me again how the mic array will be used in Sonys new games.

I mean, you literally used the "voice input" as an example in the OP:

For example PS5 focus on audio & having a mic array standard on the controller is a lot like what Microsoft was planning for with Xbox One when the Kinect was standard but they was forced to drop the standard Kinect within the 1st few months so they never reached the goal of NUI but Amazon & Google came along with Alexa / Google Home & now people treat them like they are part of the family. It's just a mic & can easily be plugged into a Xbox controller but for the devs just knowing that the mic array is standard for the PS5 means that they can make voice input just as important as button presses in their games.

Last edited:

onQ123

Xbox looks like it has the same kind of 3D audio, or something comparable. These consoles are quite the same honestly.

Voice command lol. First thing to turn off.

Sony's haptic feedback is also controlled by audio signals & the controller's mic array will help the system ID the users

onQ123

So in other words - you have absolutely no idea how the mic array you spent a third of your post talking about should be used. Please explain how devs will consider "voice input as important as button presses".

You don't understand what example mean?

TBiddy

You don't understand what example mean?

I do. But surely, since you brought it up, you must have some idea or suggestion on how to implement it in a meaningful sense in games?

There are so many interesting features about the PS5, and yet you chose the mic array as an example. It doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:

fybyfyby

Personally, Im looking forward for Haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, PSVR 2, 3D audio with hrtf (I expect same or better experience like from binaural audio sources). Of course Im looking forward for better games in terms of graphics, but on the other hand I dont see what else can be done above Uncharted 4, HZD, God of war, Killzone Shadowfall. More fps, raytracing.... Im curious about how can games change. I think mainly lot of developers will achieve same level of graphics presentation like only best of the best studios achieved this gen. If I read about how resource streaming worked in HZD...holy cow... I dont want to be a developer :-D

onQ123

I do. But surely, since you brought it up, you must have some idea or suggestion on how to implement it in a meaningful sense in games?

There are so many interesting features about the PS5, and yet you chose the mic array as an example. It doesn't make any sense.

Because it was just an example lol why is that hard for you to understand?

PocoJoe

Banned
Do all gamers speak english?

No.

Do all languages work on google speech regognition/alexa/siri/etc?

No.

So it would suck big time if it would be mandatory. I'm not native and english is really really difficult to pronounce perfectly. I dont ever speak it if I can avoid it as it is so humiliating.

Here at Finland they start to teach english when we are on 3rd grade, tv shows arent dubbed(most in english with subs) and many things are in english yet I never learnt to pronounce even after I have Masters degree.

So unless it would understand Finnish, no deal.

And it is gimmick/useless anyway, just reminds me of AVGN screaming "fire! Fire!"(damn difficult word to pronounce btw. English "R" is retarded)

That array is probably for voice chat + removing echo/non player voices from the close area

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
The business is too expensive hence too risky nowadays, so I don't see anyone, be it Sony, MS or any 3rd party publisher wanting to try to reinvent the wheel, I really don't expect anything more than what we get today, except with better graphics, physics, AI etc. - Sony will be pulling out 3rd person cinematics, MS online-focused titles, Ubisoft open-world games, EA milking every IP they have, and so on. Sony's 1st party studios will most definitely try to utilize all the extra PS5 features in their games, but at the end of the day it won't change what those games are, how they play etc.

martino

i bet near half games exclusives to ps5 won't use most if not all sense features

Last edited:

onQ123

My MegaDrive never identified me and I could still play perfectly well.

Also, no need for a mic to identify people. If the person is playing like a boss, it's me. Otherwise, it's my little kid (still needs to improve !) :)

If you're playing a trivia game with a room full of people it will know who yelled out the answer

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Voice commands are a bit overrated, I mostly use it to shutdown my Xbox. On Xbox you can just use Alexa for this if you got some Sonos or Amazon devices that support Alexa.

GymWolf

don't care about voice commands and they never gonna substitute button press until voice recognition will be 110% on point.
don't really care about the other gimmicks from both sony or M either.

killatopak

I thought this was gonna be about VR.

awesome audio+ psvr2+ SSD for breakthrough in game design. VR would experience a true revolution.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
When you start idea with "The audio will change everything" is the moment when you know you fail.

People just don't care about audio. They play on their 2$ headphones or their shitty tv speakers or sometimes with no sound at all. They just don't care. They like good music but they can't tell difference between surround or mono.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
3rd parties never do much with exclusive features, apart from the wii, but in that case it was a different dev doing the wii version.

Gamernyc78

Banned
But standard Kinect was pulled from Xbox One before it could really get a user base big enough to make it worth a while for devs to put time & money into making games around the voice inputs. Also with the SSD games can have large datasets with responses to just about anything that you say & respond quickly.

Kinect was given a chance and bundled with Xbox one with Kinect 2.0. Kinect was a catch 22 it was the fastest selling peripheral but when ppl saw it wasnt the milo type peripheral thy expected they themselves stopped supporting it. The attach rate from peripheral to software was bad. Ppl bought it but then didnt care for it or support it. Microsoft tried but the ppl spoke.

Do all gamers speak english?

No.

Do all languages work on google speech regognition/alexa/siri/etc?

No.

So it would suck big time if it would be mandatory. I'm not native and english is really really difficult to pronounce perfectly. I dont ever speak it if I can avoid it as it is so humiliating.

Here at Finland they start to teach english when we are on 3rd grade, tv shows arent dubbed(most in english with subs) and many things are in english yet I never learnt to pronounce even after I have Masters degree.

So unless it would understand Finnish, no deal.

And it is gimmick/useless anyway, just reminds me of AVGN screaming "fire! Fire!"(damn difficult word to pronounce btw. English "R" is retarded)

That array is probably for voice chat + removing echo/non player voices from the close area
I never started with traditional Rally English and people don't recognize that I'm Finnish from my pronouciation.

But mixing languages and voice recognition is terrible, with my LG c9 I can't manage to get it to change onto "YLE 1" with voice commands😂

Supposedly? P.T. had some voice command/recognition when using the phone, but I was never sure if that was the case. (But it was pretty cool idea)

I remember Socom had some voice commands, I can't remember how well they worked, probably I just skipped using them.

I wouldn't mind some experimental voice control input, if there was a way to bypass it with normal controls.

Last edited:

Jad-Just_A_Dale

Neo Member
I came in very late into the Xbox One's life. A lot of the cool stuff was stripped from the console. I would so love picture-in-picture right now so that I could watch netflix/youtube while playing some games. I missed out on Xbox Fitnessed, that looked pretty cool and I know that had I been on the Xbox when it released that I would have bought it along with a Kinect. I do play the Just Dance games, I'd give one a chance on the Xbox with Kinect. Playdead's Inside is a masterpiece of scaring the crap out of me, I'm sure that with the biometrics/regular data taken that a Kinect could be used to make yell "oh shit" more than once every jump scare and surprise. They could probably run a King Combo off of me if they do it right. The sports, fighting and a few other games looked like fun. They may have been a bit inaccurate, but I'd have liked to have seen how Kinect would play out with the faster sensors available now on a console like the Series X that could handle it. Just straight knowing my pulse could be hella useful and apparently the Fitbit Coach app on the One could do this with a Kinect, but would be more accurate if you had a fitbit.

sn0man

In a room full of friends, we play tabletop games. That's our preferred choice ;)
And you're not gonna have a controller for each person, let alone train the PS5 to recognize each voice..

but racing gamesz!?! I got plenty of 4-player racers on my PS4. Though now I can’t play with my friends :messenger_persevering:
It will be about as revolutionary as the touch pad.
I think you’re right. I dig into the back catalog this week and played Injustice: Gods among us. The touch pad was tried on launch games and quickly forgotten. It is theoretically a cool idea.
It does work for text input pretty well though.

I assumed the mic array would be used to center the sound stage so to speak.
Now this! This has me intrigued. I personally hate microphones and voice assistants in everything but if they used it for centering they 3D audio for me I would find that compelling.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Onocromin

Banned
When we have AI, that is amazing - games that harness voice technology will come back in a big way. if you fail to understand this you have a poor imagination.

Imagine being able to talk to a character on screen that is controlled by actual AGI, which can in fact converse with you and has something to say about everything you come up with.

We've just never had the technology in place to completely utilize it. It will make girlfriend simulators suddenly become a big freaking deal. And I like to think about using my full immersion headset with the ability to have actual conversation's with NPC's.

For example PS5 focus on audio

Seems pretty common on here to pretend like XsX doesn’t have a dedicated audio chip as well. I’m really curious to see how often gamers talk about “hearing the difference” in multi plat games as opposed to those who talk about “seeing the difference.”

I do agree about the mic. Opens up cool little gameplay possibilities

Onocromin

Banned
Examples of AI assistant's that will eventually be implemented in the games we play with any luck.
Who wouldn't want a mic to talk to something as fluently and comprehensive as what they demo here?

Aceofspades

Banned
Seems pretty common on here to pretend like XsX doesn’t have a dedicated audio chip as well. I’m really curious to see how often gamers talk about “hearing the difference” in multi plat games as opposed to those who talk about “seeing the difference.”

I do agree about the mic. Opens up cool little gameplay possibilities

PS4 had a dedicated audio chip, SNES had one, PS1 had one .. etc that didn't mean they were doing what PS5 can do with Audio.

PS5 Tempest Engine has never been done before, XSX one is similar to what other consoles were doing before, PS5 is something different.

Top Bottom