• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Despite of PS5 & Xbox SX CPU , GPU & RAM being closer in specs than past rival consoles I think the difference in games will end up bigger.

onQ123

Voice command: “Open door”
Regular controller: presses X :messenger_smirking:

If that's all a dev can think of when having audio input they shouldn't be using it.

With everyone on PS5 having a mic input as standard a dev could make a live Gameshow with audience interactions. Like when they say "we asked 100 people" on Family Feud the 100 people could be the people watching the live show on their PS5.

Seems pretty common on here to pretend like XsX doesn’t have a dedicated audio chip as well. I’m really curious to see how often gamers talk about “hearing the difference” in multi plat games as opposed to those who talk about “seeing the difference.”

I do agree about the mic. Opens up cool little gameplay possibilities

Nowhere am I saying that Xbox SX don't have a audio chip, the difference is that Sony has a fully programmable compute unit with the cache removed especially for audio. it can be used for system level stuff like the 3D audio but it can also be used by the devs to do whatever they want with it.

I doubt mics will have any real advantage with majority of gaming genres. I can see it being useful for specifying certain commands in an open-world game, maybe. Something like GTA6 could probably take advantage of it as a bonus feature in the PS5 version, like if you're trying to pick up a street hooker and talk to her, your voice is analyzed and they'll either want to give you a blowjob or walk away based on that. Like if you sound drunk, for example, they might turn you away or actually be inclined to go if you have booze in your car (but she'll get out and stiff you on the service if you don't actually have booze in the car). That kind of thing.

Basically, biggest use would be for subtle little things here and there that can add a bit more immersion, but it wouldn't be vital to the game design, and I don't see them being gamechanging things in influencing paradigm shifts in game design. The SSDs and especially expanded GPGPU programming will be much more influential in that regard, easily.

Nowhere am I saying that Xbox SX don't have a audio chip, the difference is that Sony has a fully programmable compute unit with the cache removed especially for audio. it can be used for system level stuff like the 3D audio but it can also be used by the devs to do whatever they want with it.

But for the latter of those tasks they aren't working with a lot of power whatsoever. 100 - 200 GFLOPs at absolute most, and it may even be to the lower end of that depending on how much was customized.

TBH we've already seen an example of this decades ago: on the SEGA Saturn, Camelot used the Saturn's sound chip for game logic (and some graphics IIRC) work in one of the Saturn Shining Force games. So same thing conceptually, though probably much tougher to do on that system and definitely using the chip in a way never intended. At best though, it was used for a small range of logic and graphics tasks, not heavy off-lifting from the VDP 1 & 2 or SH2 processors in the system specifically built for logic and graphics tasks.

I think you'll see use-cases for Tempest outside of audio of that level, for devs who actually wish to take advantage of it in that way. Which will probably end up just being 1st-party teams more or less.

Last edited:

onQ123

I doubt mics will have any real advantage with majority of gaming genres. I can see it being useful for specifying certain commands in an open-world game, maybe. Something like GTA6 could probably take advantage of it as a bonus feature in the PS5 version, like if you're trying to pick up a street hooker and talk to her, your voice is analyzed and they'll either want to give you a blowjob or walk away based on that. Like if you sound drunk, for example, they might turn you away or actually be inclined to go if you have booze in your car (but she'll get out and stiff you on the service if you don't actually have booze in the car). That kind of thing.

Basically, biggest use would be for subtle little things here and there that can add a bit more immersion, but it wouldn't be vital to the game design, and I don't see them being gamechanging things in influencing paradigm shifts in game design. The SSDs and especially expanded GPGPU programming will be much more influential in that regard, easily.

But for the latter of those tasks they aren't working with a lot of power whatsoever. 100 - 200 GFLOPs at absolute most, and it may even be to the lower end of that depending on how much was customized.

TBH we've already seen an example of this decades ago: on the SEGA Saturn, Camelot used the Saturn's sound chip for game logic (and some graphics IIRC) work in one of the Saturn Shining Force games. So same thing conceptually, though probably much tougher to do on that system and definitely using the chip in a way never intended. At best though, it was used for a small range of logic and graphics tasks, not heavy off-lifting from the VDP 1 & 2 or SH2 processors in the system specifically built for logic and graphics tasks.

I think you'll see use-cases for Tempest outside of audio of that level, for devs who actually wish to take advantage of it in that way. Which will probably end up just being 1st-party teams more or less.

100 - 200 GFLOPs for audio tasks isn't a lot of power whatsoever? lol that's more power than the CPUs that ran the console games for the last 7 years

Xbox looks like it has the same kind of 3D audio, or something comparable. These consoles are quite the same honestly.

Voice command lol. First thing to turn off.
And there you are wrong they very diferent. with the PS5 you only need a normal headset, and tadaa you dont need Atmos certificated hardware like with the Xbox SeX, and thats a big difference

cireza

And there you are wrong they very diferent. with the PS5 you only need a normal headset, and tadaa you dont need Atmos certificated hardware like with the Xbox SeX, and thats a big difference
You only need a headset to have the same kind of sound you get at the cinema, and the SSD can be used to travel in the future, I know I know...

Just joking here

Last edited:
I think before every generation developers/console makers want to make new innovative games and introduce new things. I think they truly try. But I think there's a lot that goes into making a game that we just don't understand like budgets, projections, timelines, PR, etc. Let's take your example of Dreams, that game will likely not turn a profit, maybe idk, it's taking chances. But it doesn't have the mass appeal of a game like COD, it also doesn't get close to their ad budget. So the devs try and when we don't buy it or that "feature" they try doesn't get praised or isn't utilized it makes them more weary of trying next time.

I think we gamers can take some blame for not trying, what some would call weird, games. I personally thought Kinect was pretty damn cool. I thought they could have done some really amazing things with it, given time, but it was shot down. I'm always in for new stuff, new features.

ethomaz

Banned
I have an odd option that goes against most here in GAF.

From what I read and researched about both machines I believe PS5 will have the performance advantage even for multiplatform games for the first years.
And depending how devs get into to design games for SSD then it is will extend to the whole generation.

I can see the first batch of DF articles in November being shocking.

Onocromin

Banned
As a computer scientist, Xbox Series X is hands down the most powerful console of the lot. I've done the math - it is 4,193 bit graphics and those 2 extra teraflops will account for a non-negligible massive advantage if dev's intend to utilize it for graphics over resolution. Particularly if they manage to do it before Microsoft decides it's time to release another updated refresh.

onQ123

I have an odd option that goes against most here in GAF.

From what I read and researched about both machines I believe PS5 will have the performance advantage even for multiplatform games for the first years.
And depending how devs get into to design games for SSD then it is will extend to the whole generation.

I can see the first batch of DF articles in November being shocking.

People think it's trolling or something but from the looks of things PS5 will have the straight forward rendering advantage but Xbox SX will have the compute advantage .

Like PS5 can have the prettiest game but Xbox SX can have better effects but they are so close you wouldn't really notice the difference unless the games take advantage of one of the consoles design a lot more than the other one.

The wild card is ML which Xbox SX has more head room to take advantage of as they get deeper into AI.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Why are these armchair developers allowed to make the same threads over, and over, over, and over again?

Keep the spins to the spec thread. No need for repeating the same thing over. No matter how many times you type your fairytales, they're not true true lol.

Top Bottom