• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 |OT2| Leviathan Wakes (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Nightfall anyone?

I'm down.

Same PSN name.

Reporting handsomeness for 50ppp:

5vDEYz6.jpg

DtRf2vd.jpg

I'm actually glad perks are not random anymore. Yes it may had let a bad weapon become an useful or OP but the chase for the perfect roll was insanely exhausting.

This x1,000. It was so annoying having a weapon everyone was raving about, but having a shit roll on it that completely negated the positives. I much rather have tons of weapons, all with their locked stats. It is makes them feel like exotics, like oh sweet I finally got Curtain Call! Not...oh I got Curtain Call for the 6th time and it is still not a great roll.

3rd Eye, it's a crutch for many teams to hide together and teamshoot quickly. It's not the best gun, but it offers the best perk for these awful maps and the teamshoot game this is now. There's a reason it wasn't a super highly used gun in D1 and is running all over D2. An average gun from D1 easily is at the top of the pack with these watered down guns

Many of the gun classes are stronger than their D1 versions--the only difference is not having flat out broken stuff like Thorn or a year 1 last word. If you look at the impact + range combination of handcannons, they are up on average. Autorifles are the same. Generally, everything in D2 has been given a buff, it's just that high high cheese tier exotic is not there taking over the game.

ch4fx_

Is there no damn matchmaking for Nightfall?

There's "guided games", which will pair you with 2 others who are looking to help someone run the Nightfall. Not exactly the "matchmaking" some want, but still a viable way to clear end game content if you're solo.

neoism

Can somebody explain to me why on earth people are still doing public events without trying to turn them heroic? I hate being the only one of 3 or 4 trying to turn them against these bums. I feel like this many weeks in and people being higher light should know how to turn almost all of these by now...so frustrating
Yea it sucks but I have gotten an exotic engram for the event complete maybe the heroic just ups the chance a bit

Kyne

I'm loving the look of Terra Concord EXCEPT those fucking shoulders plates, man... It's like they forgot to angle them up. 90 degree rotation inward and trim that extra rim at the bottom and perfection.

Other than that.

Baller as fuck.

it actually looked really good in the concept art. Someone somewhere fucked up on the transition.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm actually glad perks are not random anymore. Yes it may had let a bad weapon become an useful or OP but the chase for the perfect roll was insanely exhausting.
yeah... I mean at this point I can never go back to the D1 way. Find a gun you like, know immediately that the gun is worthwhile versus just the version of it with the perks you randomly got. Hear a gun recommended to you, know that when it drops for you it's the gun.You don't have to worry about whether or not you got the perfect edge case that you need to be able to compete/contribute as well as everyone else, you just need the weapon.

At this point I'd say I'm out if they reintroduce D1 perk rolls or any kind of perks variants of guns that are not player deterministic in some way. The idea that an additional layer of RNG, on top of the RNG you are relying on to get the drop, was beneficial to the play experience is baffling to me, and honestly just illustrates really well the spectrum of opinions that form around a project like this and how it will be impossible to make everyone happy no matter what they do.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
it actually looked really good in the concept art. Someone somewhere fucked up on the transition.

Motherfucker... I bet that it was that Kekistan jackass, too.

Yep. The meditations aren't worth my time with the current rewards they give.

I'm fortunate that the bond, helmet and robes have already dropped for me so that i don't have to do them again. not that i wouldn't mind replaying the campaign, but having to choose between 3 arbitrarily selected missions at a time is an inconvenient turnoff

platocplx

By far the hugest time sink. If anything the mod system is a way better way to at least allow for way more gun variety I think they will keep expanding it to give all the perks guns had in D1.

yeah... I mean at this point I can never go back to the D1 way. Find a gun you like, know immediately that the gun is worthwhile versus just the version of it with the perks you randomly got. Hear a gun recommended to you, know that when it drops for you it's the gun.You don't have to worry about whether or not you got the perfect edge case that you need to be able to compete/contribute as well as everyone else, you just need the weapon.

At this point I'd say I'm out if they reintroduce D1 perk rolls or any kind of perks variants of guns that are not player deterministic in some way. The idea that an additional layer of RNG, on top of the RNG you are relying on to get the drop, was beneficial to the play experience is baffling to me, and honestly just illustrates really well the spectrum of opinions that form around a project like this and how it will be impossible to make everyone happy no matter what they do.

Honestly, the idea of grinding for the same weapon over and over for a perfect roll is just baffling to me.

platocplx

I've not had one of those drop yet :/

I have had helluva fun with a Blue 3 round burst side arm though. It doesn't look like anything great but it seems to blow everybody away.
I have a legendary 3 burst sidearm called the last hope. It is disgusting in close. I’m melting people 1v1 with it. Reminds me of my beloved trespasser. It’s amazing. I’m sure bungie will nerf them. The ttk is crazy fast.

For me: yes and no.

I MUCH would have rather the perks on weapons and armor been the mods were getting in D2. Throw on a legendary outlaw mod.... or a rare counterbalance etc. with how easy mods are to get/purchase would have been cooler than the mostly pointless mods we now have. Only ones worth while (aside from a simple 5+ value) are ability cooldowns. The others are sooooo minimal in terms of actual effect they're almost non existent.

Apathy

Finally finished it. Story is meh. slightly better than 1 but come on, 1 was like trash tier anything is better than it. Last boss of the story mode was horrible.the only mission that was close to entertaining was the one before the last one, on the the
sun

Every single adventure or quest I've done follows the same patters that I hated from the first destiny, kill stuff in the area where you get the quest usually, then go some other place and interact with something, then just kill 4-6 waves of things, each one being predictable what's in it as far as mob composition (strength wise).

Someone really needs to show destiny how to do quests properly or even to explain to them waves after wave of mobs and just adding tons of mobs don't make it fun. Like less mobs that did more interesting things would be better than this. If they want to go the route of just tossing more enemies than should be expected then you gotta make them more diverse not just like 4 kinds for each alien race.

Also during non-res areas, they need better checkpoints. It's just crazy getting to 80% on the 4th slow filling pillar just to die to some random crap and start off at the start again is just insane.

I like the concept that aliens hate each other, loved it in destiny 1, but why the hell do I show up, go after one kind of alien and the other one instantly becomes best friends with him and decides to help him out, doesn't make sense.

The world is lovely, and I want to go explore more areas like inside ships and shit, but when they make it so damn linear that you get no chance to explore anything it really ruins these places that bungie makes. Destiny is sooooo a game that would benefit from having multiple paths to get to the end point.

It's more destiny i guess, people liked that the first time, I still find it trite

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've not had one of those drop yet :/

I have had helluva fun with a Blue 3 round burst side arm though. It doesn't look like anything great but it seems to blow everybody away.
Omolon's 3-burst sidearms are fantastic. I can recommend both Last Dance and Last Hope, they have slight variations for preference but are both awesome

platocplx

For me: yes and no.

I MUCH would have rather the perks on weapons and armor been the mods were getting in D2. Throw on a legendary outlaw mod.... or a rare counterbalance etc. with how easy mods are to get/purchase would have been cooler than the mostly pointless mods we now have. Only ones worth while (aside from a simple 5+ value) are ability cooldowns. The others are sooooo minimal in terms of actual effect they're almost non existent.

I think it’s way to early to tell about the Mods(variety wise) I think this is a great thing they did and I think is a great base going forward and I do think they should add even more mods or mod slots, but is a step in the right direction. When it comes to player time value and what you do in the game.

The old way with RNG guns and RNG perks was the hugest time sink known to man.

TyrantII

This x1,000. It was so annoying having a weapon everyone was raving about, but having a shit roll on it that completely negated the positives. I much rather have tons of weapons, all with their locked stats. It is makes them feel like exotics, like oh sweet I finally got Curtain Call! Not...oh I got Curtain Call for the 6th time and it is still not a great roll.

Problem is, there isn't tons of weapons. And I'm guessing there won't be.

*snip*

It's more destiny i guess, people liked that the first time, I still find it trite
It's the sort of game that either clicks, or doesn't. There's a lot of flaws, but IMO the gameplay and world more than make up for it. As is often said, it's a first-person Diablo. So if you're coming expecting a great story or deep questing, you're unfortunately in the wrong boat.

Finally finished it. Story is meh. slightly better than 1 but come on, 1 was like trash tier anything is better than it. Last boss of the story mode was horrible.the only mission that was close to entertaining was the one before the last one, on the the
sun

Every single adventure or quest I've done follows the same patters that I hated from the first destiny, kill stuff in the area where you get the quest usually, then go some other place and interact with something, then just kill 4-6 waves of things, each one being predictable what's in it as far as mob composition (strength wise).

Someone really needs to show destiny how to do quests properly or even to explain to them waves after wave of mobs and just adding tons of mobs don't make it fun. Like less mobs that did more interesting things would be better than this. If they want to go the route of just tossing more enemies than should be expected then you gotta make them more diverse not just like 4 kinds for each alien race.

Also during non-res areas, they need better checkpoints. It's just crazy getting to 80% on the 4th slow filling pillar just to die to some random crap and start off at the start again is just insane.

I like the concept that aliens hate each other, loved it in destiny 1, but why the hell do I show up, go after one kind of alien and the other one instantly becomes best friends with him and decides to help him out, doesn't make sense.

The world is lovely, and I want to go explore more areas like inside ships and shit, but when they make it so damn linear that you get no chance to explore anything it really ruins these places that bungie makes. Destiny is sooooo a game that would benefit from having multiple paths to get to the end point.

It's a big game made by a big company in an emerging genre. Wont be long before something comes along that does it better.

zethren

Banned
Not difficult, adjusted

Now Heroic PTEs on said Flashpoint Planet/Moon are Heroic+

They just add another sub boss

Like Titan, the 2 Walkers Heroic, a Huge Ass Shanks appears, kill it to get an extra Token
Summoning Hive Ritual, get Heroic, now another Huge Ass Knight Appears with Boomer cannon

Nothing crazy, still trivial with other Guardians, I think it's to counteract people from soloing or make it very difficult to do so

To be honest I'm actually VERY okay with this.

I'd rather them make things more challenging, and encourage fireteam play, rather than nerf rewards. This is a good sign.

Frenden

Banned
I really like that, beyond wide general stat boosts for the basic-most categories, all armor is essentially an aesthetic husk.

Hopefully that means I can opt to wear my Wildwood shit in Y3 on a lark, etc. as there aren't any inherently OP perks that can't be carried over into later expansions and infused.

Kyne

I really like that, beyond wide general stat boosts for the basic-most categories, all armor is essentially an aesthetic husk.

Hopefully that means I can opt to wear my Wildwood shit in Y3 on a lark, etc. as there aren't any inherently OP perks that can't be carried over into later expansions and infused.

aye, at end-game this is actually getting me pretty excited. I'm going to have a different set for Raids/PVP/Casual PVE. Fashion Destiny is a go.

Ramirez

It's mind boggling. Does anyone actually really "love" Destiny PvP?! It seemingly has soooo much potential but Bungie has always managed to mess it up in one way or another.

I love Trials. D2 PVP on the whole is a huge improvement over the first...once MIDA is cut down a bit, allowing more weapon variety, I could only see the enjoyment going up.

zethren

Banned
Doubt it. The Division, with all its hype, didn't manage to put pressure on Destiny

And I doubt Anthem will be able to, either

I think a big part of this is how good Bungie is at creating fun and tight gunplay. Not many shooters compete with them in that department, in my opinion.

Doubt it. The Division, with all its hype, didn't manage to put pressure on Destiny

And I doubt Anthem will be able to, either
I'm honestly pretty excited to see what Anthem is all about. I didn't even have plans to buy D2 because of Anthem (I wanted to see which came out to be the better game) but my friends convinced me to pick it up anyway.

Exhausting? I mean no one HAD to keep grinding for a perfect roll. A good player with a shit roll could still do just fine. The random perks though made loot a hell of a lot more fun than it is now. It was fun getting the same gun, especially one you liked, to see what rolls it had. Same with comparing the same guns with friends, it was fun to get the same weapon yet different and compare the two... Now? That's gone. Now everyone has the same damn gun and if you get a duplicate, you immediately know you're trashing one of them.

The only real issue I see in D1 is that some perks were pretty terrible and should've been removed. No reason why you can't just create a pool of good perks that everything can pull from.

Top Bottom