• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 |OT2| Leviathan Wakes (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

Dineren

Banned
I'm kind of disappointed in Xur, not because of what he is selling, but because he is just out in the open and marked on the map. Even though it was unlikely, I kind of hoped they would put him in a lost sector or something and just have someone in the tower give you a hint to his location.

Oh well, at least I have Merciless now.

hydruxo

Merciless was one of the first exotics I got, definitely do not sleep on it. It absolutely melts bosses especially if you're a hunter and use the dodge reload.

They'll be making the same mistake folks did when Xur first sold Gally. "Who is gonna waste their exotic slot on a heavy?" lol

I made that mistake. I didn't have a set group of people when D1 launched so I only did the first tier of the weekly for three coins. I didn't have many coins when Xur came and I wanted to wait for a primary to be sold (I believe the Suros was sold the week after which I felt justified my position). I spent the next year playing countless hours chasing the Gjallarhorn. I had to wait until Xur sold it again before TTK. Never again. I buy every exotic I don't own from Xur now.

caesar

Banned
Merciless is great DPS no doubt, but I think that (for the raid at least) its best application is burning down yellow bar adds
(and garden beasts)
fast rather than doing boss DPS. It's the best burst DPS for when you need to apply a ton of damage in a very (very) small amount of time, but for sustained DPS
(such as during the damage phase of Calus)
the Coldheart + another front loaded power weapon got it beat.

Slayerage sub?

GlamFM

Banned
I was surprised at how good some of the adventures were. Are the quests after the main campaign any good?

The blue ones on every planet?

Don´t remember them specifically because I did all of them back to back with the adventures.

What I do know though is that you´ll get 3 exotics out of doing them.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You seem to be a bit unlucky in that regard, sorry.

I think i´ve gotten 10 in total.

5 are from quests though.

Well, I am not counting the three quests of course. Those are one time drops. Well, three if you want to play the 8 hour campaign again with alts and do the 2-3 hour exotic quests.

With 3oCs I knew just playing the game would give me higher light level stuff. I was one of those Forever 29 players in Vanilla Destiny, but with TTK and especially after the April update, I went back and started playing regularly. I would pop a coin and play crucible. pop a coin and play a strike. pop a coin and do patrols and those taken events with bosses. pop a coin and play Court of Oryx and Challenge of the elders. It took me a while but i hit 335 just by playing the game and getting loot regularly. Even with ROI you had the forge dropping max level gear even if it was just artifacts, class items and ghosts. Can you name one activity aside from the raid that drops higher light level stuff after 265?

Crucible drops were fun because of the randomness of the perks. Exotic drops were fun because there was a chance they were max level. Raid wasnt the only thing guaranteeing drops.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
There was something slightly different with Destiny 2 compared to the first and I couldn't figure it out what it was, after a couple of screen shots I have remembered.

The sit down animation for females is different, they used to do this lounge around thing but now they just kneel like male titans.

Everyone keeps saying Destiny 2 has become more generous with exotics but i had literally one exotic drop in the last 14 hours of gameplay. Thats after i bought and used a fireteam buff from eververse for the last 4 hours.

I felt the same way, then I did the challenges that rewarded you with powerful gear and I ended up getting 3 exotic items.

I dont really believe this. The raid I ran with several of them had merciless and I was still coming in 2nd or 3rd dps-wise using a purple rocket (void damage with Blue in the name?) and my mida multitool. I really dont think it out dpses other decent setups, unless the guys I was with were just terrible, which I doubt.
Honestly Merciless is the most over rated weapon I've seen people crowing about. Sure it feels nice once you've ramped up the speed, but it requires ramping up in the first place, and it's clip size isn't large enough to support the speed boost for long.

Silvard

Slayerage sub?

No, something I picked up from doing the final encounter with different loadouts and people (hedera_) doing twice of everybody's damage with Coldheart and a sniper. Did he make the same observation?

Honestly Merciless is the most over rated weapon I've seen people crowing about. Sure it feels nice once you've ramped up the speed, but it requires ramping up in the first place, and it's clip size isn't large enough to support the speed boost for long.

Basically this. It's strong and efficient at killing yellow adds but it's not the boss silver bullet people are making it out to be. I suggest everyone who doesn't have it pick it up though, especially if you end up on add duty.

That last yellow boss on that mission for Sturm has to be one of the single worst PvE solo experiences I've had in Destiny. Shock, abundance of adds, boss with a shotgun that's persistently aggressive, and then in the final third ends up being even more aggressive with melee that pushes you away.. on a floating level. Died for the third time with him under 25% and then back to the start. He has a ridiculous amount of health. So tilted right now lol, glad I only needed the servitor kill because fuck that fight.

The ๖ۜBronx;249024624 said:
That last yellow boss on that mission for Sturm has to be one of the single worst PvE solo experiences I've had in Destiny. Shock, abundance of adds, boss with a shotgun that's persistently aggressive, and then in the final third ends up being even more aggressive with melee that pushes you away.. on a floating level. Died for the third time with him under 25% and then back to the start. He has a ridiculous amount of health. So tilted right now lol, glad I only needed the servitor kill because fuck that fight.
Well it is the final boss of a strike XD It's supposed to be handled by three people.

GlamFM

Banned
Well, I am not counting the three quests of course. Those are one time drops. Well, three if you want to play the 8 hour campaign again with alts and do the 2-3 hour exotic quests.

With 3oCs I knew just playing the game would give me higher light level stuff. I was one of those Forever 29 players in Vanilla Destiny, but with TTK and especially after the April update, I went back and started playing regularly. I would pop a coin and play crucible. pop a coin and play a strike. pop a coin and do patrols and those taken events with bosses. pop a coin and play Court of Oryx and Challenge of the elders. It took me a while but i hit 335 just by playing the game and getting loot regularly. Even with ROI you had the forge dropping max level gear even if it was just artifacts, class items and ghosts. Can you name one activity aside from the raid that drops higher light level stuff after 265?

Crucible drops were fun because of the randomness of the perks. Exotic drops were fun because there was a chance they were max level. Raid wasnt the only thing guaranteeing drops.

I would say that my exo drop rates are comparable to D1 with 3oC.
Somthing like on exotic for 3 or 4 Strikes.

But again - I might be lucky.

Your way to max light is wider this time though because you have the guaranteed weekly powerful engrams.

And Raid, Trials, IB and random Exotic drops.

Exotics can drop from public events now! That´s crazy compared to D1.

void666

Banned

That's a strike. You're not supposed to go solo.
Besides you just needed to kill the servitor in the dark room. You don't have to complete the strike.

rdytoroll

No need to complete the strike lol. Just kill the servitor before the boss room

Well it is the final boss of a strike XD It's supposed to be handled by three people.

That's a strike. You're not supposed to go solo.
Besides you just needed to kill the servitor in the dark room. You don't have to complete the strike.
Well that makes a lot more sense lol. Yeh, I just don't like finishing missions if I start them, felt a sense of duty until that third death.

Silvard

I would say that my exo drop rates are comparable to D1 with 3oC.
Somthing like on exotic for 3 or 4 Strikes.

But again - I might be lucky.

Your way to max light is wider this time though because you have the guaranteed weekly powerful engrams.

And Raid, Trials, IB and random Exotic drops.

Exotics can drop from public events now! That´s crazy compared to D1.

I'm afraid you are very lucky. I do a lot of strikes with the medallion and I don't get anywhere near those resullts. Either way I agree D2 is considerably more generous with exotics. Hell, you get 3 exotics just by going through the campaign and 3 more from straight forward non-RNG quests right after.

That's weird, it's just a strike that you don't have to finish. The servitor was at the bottom of those levels for me on my first try. Beat him and did an orbit out!

Syntsui

Is there any weapon or particular gear I should look up to for my Hunter, specifically Nightstalker?

I feel like Hunters are way too weak in PvE >.>

Everyone keeps saying Destiny 2 has become more generous with exotics but i had literally one exotic drop in the last 14 hours of gameplay. Thats after i bought and used a fireteam buff from eververse for the last 4 hours.

Three of Coins was the biggest post Year 1 change that made Xur relevant again. Even if the items werent the highest light level, you could stack up on three of coins and were pretty much guaranteed an exotic after 5 strikes.

he had other items like faster sparrows and also let you trade in your mote of lights.

I am all for simplification of the economy in destiny, but this is way too simplified. you cant just show up with four low level items.

I don't think you are farming efficiently if you are getting 1 exotic every 14 hours. If I farm public events, I get one at the very least every hour.

So I am stuck at power level 272. All my purples and blues drop at 265 and most of my exotic drops are dropping below 272. Am I doing something wrong or just bad luck?

You don't have to finish the strike.

So I am stuck at power level 272. All my purples and blues drop at 265 and most of my exotic drops are dropping below 272. Am I doing something wrong or just bad luck?

No way, exotic engrams always decrypt higher than your current power.

Hedera

No, something I picked up from doing the final encounter with different loadouts and people (hedera_) doing twice of everybody's damage with Coldheart and a sniper. Did he make the same observation?
Do you happen to have the final stats screen of the raid? I would like to know what the DPS looked like.

I was using (final encounter loadout)
a high impact sniper (Gentleman Vagabond), cold heart and nova bomb. You kinda waste some time by having to reload the sniper though, so I'm not sure if that is the way to go. Will try Merciless next time.

caesar

Banned

Yeah hes been saying its a mistake to save heavy for too long and to just use it on the shielded adds.

The ๖ۜBronx;249024840 said:
Well that makes a lot more sense lol. Yeh, I just don't like finishing missions if I start them, felt a sense of duty until that third death.

I didnt realize it was a strike either till I invited a friend to help and he says "oh this strike" lol

Top Bottom