• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PC performance thread

I need more 980 Ti benchmarks. This game runs awesome but haven't had the time to mess with settings that much except switching to SMAA, turning off Motion Blur and upping FoV to 95 from 85. Now that I know FoV is taxing, might drop that down to 90.

datamage

I've found an interesting workaround for 3840x2160 not showing up in fullscreen mode on 4K displays. I've posted about it over on bungie.net

Can any of you guys having this problem see if this helps, and maybe post feedback over on bungie.net if you can reproduce it? I'll just copy the post here as well:

I experienced the same issue on my OLED55C6P. I will try that workaround tonight.

On a side note, NVIDIA/MS needs to fucking fix HDR on PC, it's such a clusterfuck right now.

Aesthet1c

Man I'm shocked at the performance I was able to get out of my totally dated GTX 760.

On highest settings at 1080p I'm averaging around 50 fps with a few dips into the mid 30's, but I even had spikes up to mid 70's. I'm gonna play with it more and I'm sure I'll be able to find a solid setting where I can get a constant 60.

Afro

I swear, we should put "TURN OFF MSAA" in caps in the thread title just in case for everyone who enters this thread. :p

gJqu9wH.gif

I fail to understand how this game could be using 100% across all 4 cores of an overclocked i5 6600k. I have a 6600k at 4.2 GHz and a 1070, I'll be trying it out tonight to see.

Finaika

I need more 980 Ti benchmarks. This game runs awesome but haven't had the time to mess with settings that much except switching to SMAA, turning off Motion Blur and upping FoV to 95 from 85. Now that I know FoV is taxing, might drop that down to 90.

Thisss.

I hope to run it at max settings at 1440p.

I fail to understand how this game could be using 100% across all 4 cores of an overclocked i5 6600k. I have a 6600k at 4.2 GHz and a 1070, I'll be trying it out tonight to see.

Sweet, my exact set up. What resolution? I'm at 1440p. Area of 100% usage is the beginning of the strike, the massive battle occurring at the right of the starting area

riflen

I played it on highest and was getting average 100 frames in most areas. I'm not sure what problem is being reported here?

The problem shown is highly variable frame times, which translates into a jittery, inconsistent feel in a game. Tech Report have a superb article here and were responsible for pushing this issue to the fore.
Average frame rates are just that, an average of data over time. Relying only on an average hides significant performance problems that players can feel. Games that have frame time graphs like those posted feel nastier to play compared to one with more consistent frame delivery. This is especially the case for quick games where you control the pov with a mouse. Try playing the D2 beta on "high" and see if it feels better.

The problem shown is highly variable frame times, which translates into a jittery, inconsistent feel in a game. Tech Report have a superb article here and were responsible for pushing this issue to the fore.
Average frame rates are just that, an average of data over time. Relying only on an average hides significant performance problems that players can feel. Games that have frame time graphs like those posted feel nastier to play compared to one with more consistent frame delivery. This is especially the case for quick games where you control the pov with a mouse. Try playing the D2 beta on "high" and see if it feels better.
I didn't feel any judder, it looked and played very smooth with my Vega and freesync monitor. If it improves from here that'll be great but it's already solid.

kuYuri

Can someone hook me up with some side-by-side 16:9 and 21:9 shots? I've yet to see how this game implements 21:9 (or wider) aspect ratios. It can seem fine unless you notice it's actually just cropping the top and bottom off the 16:9 image... which I don't think its doing but I won't be able to see for myself until at least tomorrow night :(

I can post some 21:9 screenshots once I get home later today.

No concrete numbers here, just some observations. I run a 6700K/1080Ti with 16GB RAM. Running at 1440p on a g-sync monitor. Loaded up the game and just set to the "Highest" preset without making any other changes. Full-screen. I'm not exactly sure which video driver I was on but it was one from within the past couple of months, so I had yet to update to the most recent that claims some optimizations for this beta.

Just glancing at the fps counter from time to time throughout the intro mission, it was always at 55-61 fps. No variations below or above that I noticed from the counter itself or just the "feel" of the framerate. Feels smooth af, controls wonderfully.

I have since updated to the latest video driver and will check again tonight. I also need to turn down/off some graphical settings that I can't see a difference in, most notably the AA setting that goes with the "Highest" preset. I think I'll be able to easily get over 100 and still retain 95% of the graphical fidelity.

No concrete numbers here, just some observations. I run a 6700K/1080Ti with 16GB RAM. Running at 1440p on a g-sync monitor. Loaded up the game and just set to the "Highest" preset without making any other changes. Full-screen. I'm not exactly sure which video driver I was on but it was one from within the past couple of months, so I had yet to update to the most recent that claims some optimizations for this beta.

Just glancing at the fps counter from time to time throughout the intro mission, it was always at 55-61 fps. No variations below or above that I noticed from the counter itself or just the "feel" of the framerate. Feels smooth af, controls wonderfully.

I have since updated to the latest video driver and will check again tonight. I also need to turn down/off some graphical settings that I can't see a difference in, most notably the AA setting that goes with the "Highest" preset. I think I'll be able to easily get over 100 and still retain 95% of the graphical fidelity.

As others have said, don't use MSAA. It isn't working, and you will get a massive performance boost.

I played for a few minutes yesterday. The game is super smooth and very responsive. I'm not sure if it's the game for me but I will say the PC port is quite good based on the beta so far.

Benchmarks:
GameGPU (Russian; beta build)
Gamer Nexus (English; beta build)
Tech PowerUp (English; beta build)

destiny2-gpu-bench-settings-rx-580.png

Gamers Nexus said:
We toggled a few settings between Highest and High, ultimately finding that the Depth of Field setting is responsible for about a 38% performance hit on its own, as switching to High boosts FPS from 38 to 62 AVG... The trick is that, evidently, ”Highest" brings with it a tremendous performance hit in the form of Depth of Field, without necessarily gaining a visible benefit in some scenes.

Looks like Depth of Field has a massive performance impact and doesn't provide much of a visual boost.

All Highest Settings, MSAA off, switch DoF to High, and boom: Locked 4k/60FPS with my 1080 Ti.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
destiny2-gpu-bench-settings-rx-580.png

Looks like Depth of Field has a massive performance impact and doesn't provide much of a visual boost.

All Highest Settings, switch DoF to High, and boom: Locked 4k/60FPS with my 1080 Ti.

Definitely DoF hits hard. I had it at Highest with Rendering Resolution at 120% and was sitting about 73C. Turned DoF down to High and temps dropped by about 6-10C. Bumped up the Rendering Resolution by another 10% and still staying under 70C. Might crank it up a little more.

4K 60fps locked is nice so there's no reason for you to drop settings any more but changing MSAA > SMAA and 3DAO to HDAO also gives a nice boost for anyone who might need it.

Everyone's mentioning mixed results with RTSS Rivatuner Statistics Server but can I limit the framerate with Nvidia Inspector?

I just want to limit my 165Hz monitor to 162fps.

I experienced the same issue on my OLED55C6P. I will try that workaround tonight.

On a side note, NVIDIA/MS needs to fucking fix HDR on PC, it's such a clusterfuck right now.

Yup. HDR sucks right now.

The problem is there need to be separate setting profiles for color space.

I'm running an Lg C7 and I want my SDR stuff at 8 bit, RGB, full black level. But if I want HDR to even turn on in Windows display settings, I need to change all of that to 10 bit, 420 and limited.

Which washes out everything that's not HDR btw, so you need to manually dick around with all of that if you're playing different games.

It's so dumb. I've kind of given up on PC HDR for right now.

Renekton

Everyone's mentioning mixed results with RTSS Rivatuner Statistics Server but can I limit the framerate with Nvidia Inspector?

I just want to limit my 165Hz monitor to 162fps.
You can though people generally prefer to use RTSS, as Inspector's own limiter was known to be spiky. No harm trying though.

hiryu64

When people say it's 4K60 locked, does that also apply to downsampling through doubling the internal rendering resolution? I'm wondering if I could go like 190% or something and get an unlocked framerate (1080p120 display).

UberLevi

Just gave the strike another whirl on my 1060 and it ran smoothly at 60fps the whole way through at 1440p on High settings. This game seems really well optimized on PC and I'm super impressed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A patch was released a few minutes ago. Nothing in the news section about it, though.

Strakt

im gettin 80-100 fps playing on a 980 ti @ 1440p on "high" settings. i have a 980 TI sli but i seem to get some stuttering with it on.

napata

I played it on highest and was getting average 100 frames in most areas. I'm not sure what problem is being reported here?

Framepacing. Look how the red graph jumps up and down. Your average framerate might be 100 fps but imagine that for half a second your game runs at 50 fps and the next half at 150 fps. If your program reports the framerate once per second you'll see 100 fps as that is the average for that second but in reality you're getting a much worse experience than when that 100 fps gets delivered even.

That's why performance reviews should always include frametimes because it gives a much better image of how the game performs than just the average framerate.

Durante

That's how much of a performance improvement you get.

Turn AO down from 3D to HDAO and get 13% improvement.
Looking at the comparisons and performance data, I'm not sure that's a worthwhile tradeoff unless you are struggling to hit some threshold.

Strakt

Ohh fixed the SLI issue i was having; just needed to turn it off and turn it back on in nvidia control panel. Stutters are gone now. Getting 80 ish fps on highest in quickplay on 1440p with 980 TI SLI

Sheytan

Yup. HDR sucks right now.

The problem is there need to be separate setting profiles for color space.

I'm running an Lg C7 and I want my SDR stuff at 8 bit, RGB, full black level. But if I want HDR to even turn on in Windows display settings, I need to change all of that to 10 bit, 420 and limited.

Which washes out everything that's not HDR btw, so you need to manually dick around with all of that if you're playing different games.

It's so dumb. I've kind of given up on PC HDR for right now.

You don't have to enable hdr in windows for hdr to work in Destiny 2.

HDR is just broken in Mass Effect Andromeda, HDR works in all other games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What do you need to do to get RTSS working? It worked on my office computer but not my home one.

It seems to be luck of the draw more than anything. Some people didn't need to do anything, others have tried everything they can think of to no avail, and the rest fall somewhere in the middle. Setting the application detection level to low worked for josecitoxnyo, at least, so you might as well start there.

Anastasis

Just gave the strike another whirl on my 1060 and it ran smoothly at 60fps the whole way through at 1440p on High settings. This game seems really well optimized on PC and I'm super impressed.

I think I've had it drop just under 60 a few times, but I also maxed the FOV.
i5-2500k
GTX1060

You don't have to enable hdr in windows for hdr to work in Destiny 2.

HDR is just broken in Mass Effect Andromeda, HDR works in all other games.

That's good to know.

What do you have to set your color space to for the above things i mentioned to get it to function properly?

Also, what resolution are you running? I got it to function in 1080p but it wasn't working properly in 1440p. I'm also having the separate issue similar to others, where i'm not seeing 4K as an option in resolution; 2560x1600 is highest.

Top Bottom