• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PC performance thread

I can post some 21:9 screenshots once I get home later today.

Do both 16:9 and 21:9. If I were testing, I'd set my resolution to 2560x1440 and take a screenshot. Then switch to 3440x1440 and take a screenshot in the same place. My monitor has both of those resolutions by default.

datamage

You don't have to enable hdr in windows for hdr to work in Destiny 2.

HDR is just broken in Mass Effect Andromeda, HDR works in all other games.

The fact that you have to toggle anything in Windows or the NV Control Panel for HDR to work properly, means it's broken to begin with. I'm not going to be switching my color profiles depending on the game I wish to play. That's just ludicrous.

HDR was semi-OK before the Creator's Update.

The fact that you have to toggle anything in Windows or the NV Control Panel for HDR to work properly, means it's broken to begin with. I'm not going to be switching my color profiles depending on the game I wish to play. That's just ludicrous.

Yup. You can set PS4 Pro to 2160p RGB for all your SDR stuff and then it just drops to 422 when 10 bit HDR kicks in.

That's the world I wanna live in on PC

MBrown551

Neo Member
I have a GTX980ti but I have a feeling that my 2500K just doesn't quite cut it any more on modern games and trying to maintain a very high frame rate.

See if you can get a used i7 3770k. It should hold you over for a little while if you aren't thinking about doing a full upgrade just yet.

Mr.Sword

So I have 2 monitors, 4k/60hz and 1440p 144hz, when I tried to move the game from the 4k one to the 1440p to test higher frames, it crashed and now it's always stuck at the menu. tried to re-download and its not working still.

This is what I look at when I open the game.

hq4CRZM.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So I have 2 monitors, 4k/60hz and 1440p 144hz, when I tried to move the game from the 4k one to the 1440p to test higher frames, it crashed and now it's always stuck at the menu. tried to re-download and its not working still.

This is what I look at when I open the game.

hq4CRZM.jpg

Deleting C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Bungie\DestinyPC\prefs should reset your display settings.

I also cannot get 4k full screen resolution. 2560x1600 max, I've tried all the workarounds in the op. LG B7. So pissed at this. The executable always reverts the DPI checkbox also.

I don't have any others displays connected.

Definitely canceling my PC order, I can't trust it will be fixed.

Deepo

I also cannot get 4k full screen resolution. 2560x1600 max, I've tried all the workarounds in the op. LG B7. So pissed at this. The executable always reverts the DPI checkbox also.

I'm on a LG C6, and disconnecting the second display is the only fix that actually works for me. The DPI switch resets itself, so I don't think that's actually a fix at all.

Saw your edit, no secondary display. I am confused. This is a weird one.

Sheytan

You are right i had the settings on default nvidia settings

HDR don't work at all with rgb full.

datamage

Yup. You can set PS4 Pro to 2160p RGB for all your SDR stuff and then it just drops to 422 when 10 bit HDR kicks in.

That's the world I wanna live in on PC

Exactly! That's what I'm used to and it's how it should be on PC. Hell, it used to be that way before MS/NV messed it up. I was able to play RE7 just fine in HDR without having to change anything in Windows or NV's CP.

Rogosh

When setting up keybinds, is there a trick to keybinding the warlock air dodge or is it simply pressing crouch x 2 + direction?

You are right i had the settings on default nvidia settings

HDR don't work at all with rgb full.

Right.

This is the chart that gets used pretty regularly in the TV tech thread

BPUXmwG.png

4:2:0 is theoretically what you need to be set to if you're gonna do 4K60.

where it gets messy is when you start doing resolutions in between 1080p and 4K, and then obviously the resolution scaler further complicates this.

I was trying to do 1440p and HDR last night. can't remember the exact color space settings but i was getting purple screen until I set it back down to 1080p

E: This chart shouldn't be taken as gospel when it comes to PC. There's all sorts of hacks to push stuff beyond what the spec supports by using tools like CRU etc., but it's a good guide post.

end of the day, this shit is confusing as hell on PC.

nowai

When setting up keybinds, is there a trick to keybinding the warlock air dodge or is it simply pressing crouch x 2 + direction?

It's "class ability" on PC. IIRC it is default V keybind, but I could be wrong.

Having the Warlock twilight garrison and hunter dodge bound to one button is pretty great. Wish we had that year 1 with shadestep.

GameGPU's article is up.

Edit: A number of people have been curious how the game performs on the worst of AMD's CPUs, so here's that data:

The Athlon 5150 isn't represented, but it's safe to say Bungie wasn't lying about CPU resources being the reason for the 30fps cap on the console side.

We always knew it, it's the console kids who seem to understand how a game works. This is just yet another proof of how limited consoles are by their CPU's.

Now, these numbers are weird, it seems Ryzen needs that fast memory to keep up or more optimization, which is weird since they said it was optimized for more cores.

RHyS66o.png

I have a 1440p Gsync monitor. Also 16gb ddr4 at 3000 mhz.

I'll report back tonight.

Thanks! You have pretty much my exact set up. What motherboard are you on? I'm on ASUS Z170M-Plus, if that's a potential source of my issue.

GameGPU's article is up.

Edit: A number of people have been curious how the game performs on the worst of AMD's CPUs, so here's that data:

destiny2betacpu5nxoz.jpg

The Athlon 5150 isn't represented, but it's safe to say Bungie wasn't lying about CPU resources being the reason for the 30fps cap on the console side.

I wonder where in the beta they tested the CPU performance because I feel like my i5 6600K is having some odd issues with the Strike opening area

Here's some of my performance testing videos!

Destiny 2 PC Beta i7 4790K GTX 970 - Inverted Spire Strike
Destiny 2 PC Beta i7 4790K GTX 970

PC Specs
CPU: i7 4790k 4.7GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Ram: Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz DDR3 ram
GPU: GTX 970 (Core - 1530MHz, Memory - 7516MHz)
SSD: Crucial MX300 275GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB WD20EZRX

Game is installed to my SSD.

I'm running the game in Windowed mode as it doesn't like running at Full screen in 1080p on the display I'm using for some reason, it only allowed me to select 1600x1050 unfortunately, I'm going to try and run the game with another display I have.

It was dipping into the low 30's :/ and FPS didn't change with all settings dropped to low

Hmm that sounds weird, this is some gameplay I recorded with hyper-threading disabled on my i7 4790K in an attempt to simulate an i5 4690K's performance, it doesn't dip below 60 fps.

Destiny 2 PC Beta Simulated i5 4690K + GTX 970

I'm going to do some more testing to see if it dips below 60.

Hmm that sounds weird, this is some gameplay I recorded with hyper-threading disabled on my i7 4790K in an attempt to simulate an i5 4690K's performance, it doesn't dip below 60 fps.

Destiny 2 PC Beta Simulated i5 4690K + GTX 970

I'm going to do some more testing to see if it dips below 60.

Wow that's nuts, in that exact same area as you at the start the strike, I have 95 - 100% CPU usage across all 4 cores and frame rates in the 30's-40's with a GTX 1070. That makes absolutely no sense.

Gonna do some serious digging into this when I get home from work. Thanks for the video.

Wow that's nuts, in that exact same area as you at the start the strike, I have 95 - 100% CPU usage across all 4 cores and frame rates in the 30's-40's with a GTX 1070. That makes absolutely no sense.

Gonna do some serious digging into this when I get home from work. Thanks for the video.

What clocks are the CPUs running at? You sure your power profile is set to balanced or performance?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wait, how did people get RTSS working with this?

That's the million-dollar question:

It seems to be luck of the draw more than anything. Some people didn't need to do anything, others have tried everything they can think of to no avail, and the rest fall somewhere in the middle. Setting the application detection level to low worked for josecitoxnyo, at least, so you might as well start there.

Not sure if posted (sorry), GamersNexus posted an article

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/3037-destiny-2-gpu-benchmark-frametimes-graphics-optimization

Changing Depth of Field from Highest to High offers best perf improvement if needed

Thanks! That 38% gain between High and Highest DOF will do wonders at 4K. My OCed 1080ti may now be able to put out 4K60 pretty consistently with that change.

Wait, how did people get RTSS working with this?

It works for me as long as I enable the overlay after the game is up and running. Doing it before launching the game will cause various issues from crashing to white screens, to my display losing sync with the video card, etc.

Can someone hook me up with some side-by-side 16:9 and 21:9 shots? I've yet to see how this game implements 21:9 (or wider) aspect ratios. It can seem fine unless you notice it's actually just cropping the top and bottom off the 16:9 image... which I don't think its doing but I won't be able to see for myself until at least tomorrow night :(

Some of the menu screens unfortunately crop:

but in game 21:9 seems to be pretty much perfect:

BNGames

Disable MSAA, I have a worse CPU (6600k) and I'm getting 120 fps

Disable MSAA, it is currently broken and hit performance hard with no gain. Use SMAA instead.

Are you using MSAA? It seems to be a huge performance hit (and doesn't even work), but still you should be doing better with your rig.

Thank's guys, I had not read anything before posting this up. Figured it must be something buggy cause my rig usually slays everything else. That's why its a beta ;) lol

Taggen86

HDR works perfectly in Destiny 2 using nvidia driver 378.92 (same driver that gets both HDR10 and DV to work in mass effect). You just need to toggle HDR on in game (just like before creators update) and it works. You dont need to mess around in windows. I get a really bright and vidid image on my b6 oled, even through I use HDR game mode which is too dim in some games.

I experienced the same issue on my OLED55C6P. I will try that workaround tonight.

On a side note, NVIDIA/MS needs to fucking fix HDR on PC, it's such a clusterfuck right now.

Taggen86

On that driver at least you dont need to mess around with the NVCP color settings since it shifts automatically to the correct color space when in fullscreen and HDR. I just keep it at RGB full in the settings (resolution set to native: 2160p/60hz) and I get a correct HDR image.

What are you NVCP color settings set at?

E: This stuff

64kyvb.jpg

GameGPU's article is up.

destiny2betacpu5nxoz.jpg

4670k is a BEAST

Game is running really good for me! Now to be strong and not pick it up on PS4 -_-

LQX

Don't think I can even look at the PS4 version again. Runs amazing on my 980TI and 6700.

I just got kicked from a single player game though. Got a no network detected error and knocked me back to the start screen and I just know this will be common issue on PC. Fuck.

Top Bottom