• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Reveal Livestream [Over]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I'm pretty disappointed. After putting over 1,000 hours in the first Destiny, I was hoping for something that felt new and fresh. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case with the sequel. It looks like an expansion and 30FPS (on console) is highly disappointing.

Is this the only AAA game this year that will run at 30FPS in competitive multiplayer?

I don't know, I beg to differ.
You don't want to stray to far from what made your game attractable, you fix the issues and bring in more features that people wanted and will enjoy.

I feel they did just that. While I do agree 30FPS MP is meh especially at this point in time, all PVP info will be released tomorrow.

SO it's possible it could be announced tomorrow.
They did cut the mount of a PVP team to 4.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I don't know, I beg to differ.
You don't want to stray to far from what made your game attractable, you fix the issues and bring in more features that people wanted and will enjoy.

I feel they did just that. While I do agree 30FPS MP is meh especially at this point in time, all PVP info will be released tomorrow.

SO it's possible it could be announced tomorrow.
They did cut the mount of a PVP team to 4.

PvP is 30fps.

Velikost

Damn, thought I was going to walk into a thread of infinite praise, but I see hella people being as unimpressed as I am watching this cringy stream right now. Feelsgoodman

cNPeps3.gif

Just now seeing the PC version is not day-and-date with the console releases. Guess that means PvE crossplay pipedream is officially dead?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I thought Destiny was pretty bad, but most of that was down to playing a FPS with a controller at 30fps so I think I'll give Destiny 2 a fair shot on PC. I heard it get a lot better over the years too, when I played it the raids were basically bullet sponge bosses that were dull as hell.

PvP is 30fps.

There's been conflicting info from people. One person said 3 employees confirmed 60fps console. A few said 30 fps console. A few said, "They won't say anything about it."

The thing is... the employees that these Streamers and Youtubers are talking to are not big shots in the company. And at events like this, you always get a few points that are conflicting. So it's best to wait until there's a press release or a higher up at the Dev confirms it (Luke, DeeJ, Urk, Mark, etc...)

TheRed

I'll say I'm glad I didn't get into Destiny 1. This seems like a much more solid game foundation and on PC where I'll be playing I expect it'll be blissful to learn everything at smooth 60 fps. Since I'm not worn out on Destiny I'm sure everything about the game will impress me more when playing and not feel samey. Excited for this and Battlefront 2, gonna be some big epic shooters to enjoy at the end of this year. Hope CoD turns out good too.

This one is going to be a hard sell. I'm actually interested, but I can't help but feel some things are more of the same.

Story will probably be good, as long as they don't pull a short campaign. Seeing the Tower go up in flames as the first mission was pretty epic, and I could tell this is definitely a "current gen" game. Frame rate doesn't bother me, though it's disappointing to say the least they couldn't push it, unless they're going to promote all that for PS4Pro/Scorpio on us... I hope not.

3 man strikes remaining, not good. I'm the odd man out unless someone can't make nightfalls and strikes.

In game LFG for raids is nice, though I'd rather play with like-minded friends instead of risking getting bitched at for causing a wipe.

Changes to weapons, I can understand snipers being "heavy" having held one myself, but shotguns? They really don't want players to abuse those do they?

Crucible 4 v 4 doesn't sound too bad. Games might be a little quicker at least, it will be very tight and nerve wracking though but that's PVP for you.

Pat

I'm pretty disappointed. After putting over 1,000 hours in the first Destiny, I was hoping for something that felt new and fresh. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case with the sequel. It looks like an expansion and 30FPS (on console) is highly disappointing.

Is this the only AAA game this year that will run at 30FPS in competitive multiplayer?

I seriously wonder what the hell did you expect?

This is a pretty tame-as-hell sequel.

Should've just called it Year 3 and pitched it as an expansion.

They can't really take risks. The money must continue and Activision would be stupid to let them change a winning formula. It's exactly what I expected.

No complaints either, thought it looked incredible.

People have to remember that Destiny is a service game with a road map. I'm absolutely positive there will be new locations added, new enemies, so on and so forth. There is plenty of features for the base game that haven't been revealed yet, let alone for the future expansions and updates. I'm sure Bungie has some aces up their sleeve.

None. And people at the event said they were not allowed to capture any PC footage. It was even in a sectioned off area of the facility, to prevent sneak streaming I'd guess.

All captured footage will be from PS4 Pros.

Disappointing. Now I bet that does have to do with the marketing deal. Sony wants all the first look videos to come from a PS4.

This is my worry:

Do you need to hover over Heroic to see the options appear or did they seriously introduce this to only work with normal. (Which doesn't even make sense because anything less than heroic on a Nightfall makes it not an actual Nightfall.)

Interesting.

Heroic nightfall? Uhm...isnt thr point of nightfall that its above normal and heroic? Why give it a difficulty, what does nightfall mean now?

molnizzle

Fresh look? Did you expect them to change the art style? What is going on in here?

Destiny 1 was a cross-gen game. I expected Bungie's first first current gen only iteration to have an updated art style, yes. I expected a brand new engine that was totally different from their previous garbage that made it a laborious process to update the game. I expected the graphical presentation to look different because of that. Since it doesn't, I suspect that this is just an "overhauled" version of their old engine. Like when Bethesda overhauls Gamebryo to be a "new engine" with each new game and it turns out to be the same old bullshit. I expected more than 4 world maps after D1 was universally ridiculed for launching with 4 world maps. And yeah, I expected the current gen performance standard for competitive shooters. 60fps.

GhaleonEB

New engine. Fresh look. 60fps.

I expected all 3 of those.

It makes sense that you would be disappointed, but then, none of those were very reasonable expectations to have.

They're not going to spend years building an engine and throw it out for a sequel. They're going to evolve and improve it, and those improvements were on display.

I don't understand the new look part. Different art style?

Every Bungie console game has been 30 fps, and framerate was not among the problems with the first game that needed fixing. It makes sense that they would not re-prioritize it.

Fresh look? Did you expect them to change the art style? What is going on in here?

The guardians in the press shots looked more... Human and toned down super heroes.

What we actually have is carbon copies of D1 characters with new armor pieces.

Same fps, same enemies, same exact UI, same weapon manufacturers, same director, same fucking supers, they just rotated which class gets which, Same classes, same weapon types.

This is generous to call it Destiny 1 Year 3.

Im mad.

People have to remember that Destiny is a service game with a road map. I'm absolutely positive there will be new locations added, new enemies, so on and so forth. There is plenty of features for the base game that haven't been revealed yet, let alone for the future expansions and updates. I'm sure Bungie has some aces up their sleeve.
Considering the quality/quantity of the post-release content (free or paid) of the first game, that's probably exactly why people are so worried. There's really no reason to believe Bungie will get it right this time. I hope they do though.

Foxxsoxx

There's been conflicting info from people. One person said 3 employees confirmed 60fps console. A few said 30 fps console. A few said, "They won't say anything about it."

The thing is... the employees that these Streamers and Youtubers are talking to are not big shots in the company. And at events like this, you always get a few points that are conflicting. So it's best to wait until there's a press release or a higher up at the Dev confirms it (Luke, DeeJ, Urk, Mark, etc...)

It is 1000% 30FPS. The one person who said it was 60fps asked people on the floor if it was 60fps and they were talking about the recording equipment, not the game on consoles. Then tweeted it wasn't 60fps but 30fps.

It is 30fps on consoles and 60fps on PC.

SenkiDala

Why? It's the best version of Destiny yet, and tons of players are hooked on the existing one. You are a dirty thread crapper.

Because it looks too much like "more of the same" with no graphical improvements at all. I mean what makes it different than the previous adds on of the game?

Watch Dogs 2 really was better in any ways from Watch Dogs 1 for exemple, same goes for a lot of games, BF1 looks thousands times better than BF Hardline, any COD looks better than COD Ghost, etc.

I mean, they basically have an infinite budget...

And I don't seem to be the only one thinking that, even hardcore fans of Destiny are saying so.

DNAbro

It makes sense that you would be disappointed, but then, none of those were very reasonable expectations to have.

They're not going to spend years building an engine and throw it out for a sequel. They're going to evolve and improve it, and those improvements were on display.

Every Bungie console game has been 30 fps, and framerate was not among the problems with the first game that needed fixing. It makes sense that they would not re-prioritize it.

I'm super curious where this thing came up that a sequel needs to look completely different for it to be a sequel. Are people going to be disappointed that, if Bloodborne 2 is a thing, that it looks like Bloodborne?

BLCKATK

Interesting.

Heroic nightfall? Uhm...isnt thr point of nightfall that its above normal and heroic? Why give it a difficulty, what does nightfall mean now?

Nightfall has always been treated as a separate activity kind of deal, even though it's a strike. It's "special" and a core piece of endgame.

Having a heroic difficulty lets them leave the traditional Nightfall for experience for normal with matchmaking, and then adding an additional difficulty for increased challenge but theoretically more time commitment and more additional reward.

I'm... underwhelmed. It really does feel like a D1 expansion and those only lasted me a month or two. I fear that I won't get sucked into destiny 2 because I'm so used to destiny 1 and I've been there and done that.

Surprised so many people think it looks similar graphically. There's a full PBR pipeline, higher res textures, more texture variety, overhauled lighting, higher poly counts, improved lighting, improved weather effects, and significantly improved particle effects. D1's cross gen routes really show but the art style made up for it. This has a lot more modern visual features while also supporting larger environments.

Maybe t was just the Twitch compression but I really did not notice much of a difference at all. Just very minor improvements and some of the environment textures and sliding looked downright rough to me. I'll see if I can find some uncompressed or less compressed footage to try and get a better idea of what improvements have been made but first impression from the stream was very minor.

Magwik

Banned
I'm super curious where this thing came up that a sequel needs to look completely different for it to be a sequel. Are people going to be disappointed that, if Bloodborne 2 is a thing, that it looks like Bloodborne?

I'd say until very recently a lot of sequels had focused more on graphics than expanding the games and it's systems.

molnizzle

When their previous tools were so universally terrible then that's exactly what needed to happen. Many of Destiny's biggest problems are a result of Bungie not being able to iterate fast enough with new content. Their dev tools were a fucking embarrassment. Putting out a sequel that looks like a slightly updated version of the first game does not fill me with confidence that these issues have been addressed.

Maybe? Whatever it is that devs need to do to make a sequel not look like an expansion to the previous game. You coulda showed me some of this footage a month go and I'd have thought it was D1.

Splatoon 2 gets a lot of the same backlash. For good reason, imo.

Bungie is behind the times. They're the only developer still doing 30fps competitive shooters on console. Literally everything else has moved on to 60fps. Everything. Bungie is now in a class of their own.

It was acceptable for D1 since it was a cross-gen game. Not anymore. There's no excuse for D2 to not run at 60fps in its instanced 4v4 multiplayer modes.

Maybe? Whatever it is that devs need to do to make a sequel not look like an expansion to the previous game. You coulda showed me some of this footage a month go and I'd have thought it was D1.

This.

You can't show me any clip of a Halo game and I won't know which version it is.

That cannot be said about what we saw today.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Nightfall has always been treated as a separate activity kind of deal, even though it's a strike. It's "special" and a core piece of endgame.

Having a heroic difficulty lets them leave the traditional Nightfall for experience for normal with matchmaking, and then adding an additional difficulty for increased challenge but theoretically more time commitment and more additional reward.

But the Nightfall is, by nature, heroic difficulty. That's the point.

There is literally zero reason why Guided Games shouldn't be available for the harder difficult. None. It completely kills the point of it.

People wanted matchmaking or something like it for Nightfalls. If their answer is, "Okay, fine. But we're making an easy version so it's not really the Nightfall and that's all you can do," that's unacceptable and stubborn game design.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

No, lighting engine is pretty much the same. Lighting is arguably the biggest improvement we've had this gen resulting in more realistic looking games and i dont mean photorealistic.

Here are some comparisons of last gen games and their next gen sequels.
Battlefield 4 v Battlefield 1

bf4.jpg

bf1-review-screen-1.0.jpg

BLOPs 2
339133.jpg

BLOPS 3

maxresdefault.jpg

You can immediately tell the difference thanks to the lighting alone.

With Destiny, it feels like the same damn engine they had last gen. there was lots of stuff flying around you in the first mission which looked fantastic. Rain, explosions and even some wind effects. the other footage shown during the stream had none of that. it looked like standard vanilla Destiny levels with some very minor improvements.

I mean it's not even 60 fps so i am struggling to understand where the GPU budget is going.

Afrocious

I hope I'm not seeming like I'm encroaching on trolling territory (because I'm being genuine in my concern here), but I'm impressed that this is the same company that made Halo 2, the sequel of Halo: CE.

I'll give the beta I try, but damn.

I'm actually surprised we're playing the same 3 classes against the same enemies.

That '2' on the title is a hard sell.

It's like Luke Smith said: the massive 2 is a reminder that this is a sequel.

And that's probably because absolutely nothing else about this gets that point across.

Magwik

Banned
This.

You can't show me any clip of a Halo game and I won't know which version it is.

That cannot be said about what we saw today.

One of the worst things about Halo is the inconsistent art style and changing gameplay with each title. It only took Bungie over a decade to learn their lesson.

Thats a bit redundant i'nt it.

Why not just have a scaling difficulty and have Nightfall 1/2/3/etc.

Hoodbury

Another cool tidbit included here (and lots of room for speculation, haha).

This is the Nightfall mode selection screen. Says that we need to take out SIVA-corrupted Fallen. Of course this is probably a placeholder, but could also mean that the Devil Splicers aren't completely done yet. We may see new versions in D2.

Also a look into the new modifiers. What could they be? Timewarp: Anomalies has the Vex symbol there.

I know this screen is worrying for some, since it's implying that heroic activities still don't have matchmaking. I'm cautiously optimistic. Seeing a Nightfall having Normal and Heroic difficulties means to me that they are experimenting with the idea of additional challenge and increased replayability. This is what the game is all about, and expanding on that is important.

Looks like a typo in there, heh. "made their NEXT in the ..." probably should be "nest".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom