• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Reveal Livestream [Over]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad they didn't change the game's art style. Bungie are some of the best artists out there and Destiny had a solid foundation there. The armor on the other hand was largely underwhelming in Destiny 1 and it doesn't seem like that's going to change. Hopefully there's more to that than they have shown.

But it's really the lack of new classes, enemies and investment systems that are making it look less like a sequel and more like an expansion. Aside from the upgrade in graphic fidelity, which is hard to quantify at this point, it definitely didn't strike me as a sequel to Destiny, let alone a game released from the shackles of next gen. Maybe Horizon has spoiled me; textured grass and invisible walls aren't going to cut it anymore.

Cranster

Banned
One of the worst things about Halo is the inconsistent art style and changing gameplay with each title. It only took Bungie over a decade to learn their lesson.
The art style in Halo was more or less consistent up until Halo 4. If there is one thing I can always give Bungie credit for and that is having an excellent and consistent art style with their IPs (not counting the ever changing Brutes of course).

TsuWave

i wanted new classes or at least subclasses and elements. like rock/stone titans or something for example

seeing the same cocktail of sunsinger, gunslinger and defender was really underwhelming. especially when the "oh golden gun is now 6 shots" tweets from people at the event started coming out, i was like"really? wow :/".

i'm holding up hope they are saving some stuff for e3 but like you only make a first impression once so they should've unleashed a few of the big guns here and then elaborate/expand on em at e3

Is no one else tired of just 3 in the fire team? I was hoping for up to 6. The playspace is too much for just 3.

this as well man. i wanted bigger fireteams outside of raids

Whales

Banned
err..

same enemies
same guns mostly
literally same animations for most stuff like reloading
same supers too?
the hud?

this game looks like an expansion pack. What the hell?

Super disappointing... I hope they have some surprises to show...

I also hope bungie doesnt think they can shit on people like they did on the d1 vanilla release and get away with it again..

Kyoufu

I'm not sure what people were expecting. The Destiny feel, look and formula has been very successful for Bungie and they were obviously not going to stray far from something successful, but instead improve and iterate on things that weren't as successful, like the Story and lack of group options. Those two elements are big things that Destiny 1 failed at and with D2 being the game that fixes the big things, this is what it looks like.

Destiny 2 is a direct continuation of the Destiny world so what could they change so drastically for it feel like a new game to you? That's what I'm wondering.

Kalentan

err..

same enemies
same guns mostly

Did you think they were going to throw away everything they had and start from scratch?

i wanted new classes or at least subclasses and elements. like rock/stone titans or something for example

seeing the same cocktail of sunsinger, gunslinger and defender was really underwhelming. especially when the "oh golden gun is now 6 shots" tweets from people at the event started coming out, i was like"really? wow :/".

i'm holding up hope they are saving some stuff for e3 but like you only make a first impression once so they should've unleashed a few of the big guns here and there elaborate/expand on em at e3

Bungie is really bad at marketing Destiny. I pretty much hated everything they showed for the first game from 2013-2014 and then the beta changed my mind.

Magwik

Banned
err..

same enemies
same guns mostly

Uncharted 1 and 2 has humans as enemies
They have the same guns
Probably even the same reload animations
It even has the BALLS to use the same characters

Uncharted 2 not a real game but an expansion confirmed.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Dunno, I've played destiny for 500hrs+ and the tower looks way better then it does now. It's like they took the same area and did a next gen over haul on it.

I'm more interested in the open world parts right now, that's what destiny was lacking to me. I wanna see bigger areas with more stuff to do.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I'm not sure what people were expecting. The Destiny feel, look and formula has been very successful for Bungie and they were obviously not going to stray far from something successful, but instead improve and iterate on things that weren't as successful, like the Story and lack of group options. Those two elements are big things that Destiny 1 failed at and with D2 being the game that fixes the big things, this is what it looks like.

Destiny 2 is a direct continuation of the Destiny world so what could they change so drastically for it feel like a new game to you? That's what I'm wondering.

I really don't understand, either.

Read some of the responses. If they had added new enemies, new classes, new AI behaviors, a bunch of new guns, new vehicles, and much more to the PvE space, that's something they should put front and center. What they chose to focus on instead are things that fit the scale of a content update, not a sequel.

Obviously there are 4 months to launch, but this is the reveal for a sequel that has had at least 2 years of development and the first impressions are that it looks like "more Destiny" and not "the next Destiny"

The main thing I'm disappointed in is lack of new subclasses. I wanted all 3 to be brand new, not just one for each class. And let's face it, Dawnblade is just a warlock version of titan-hammer bro, and the new Hunter one is a cooler animated arcblade.

Oh well, still day 1.

S U B C L A S S E S

I'm really hoping that the old subclasses have been heavily modified, because it seems a little samey. I do like how they added an extra ability for each class, though.

It makes sense that you would be disappointed, but then, none of those were very reasonable expectations to have.

They're not going to spend years building an engine and throw it out for a sequel. They're going to evolve and improve it, and those improvements were on display.

I don't understand the new look part. Different art style?

Every Bungie console game has been 30 fps, and framerate was not among the problems with the first game that needed fixing. It makes sense that they would not re-prioritize it.

If the kotaku articleis true, then expecting a new engine to support the kind of pipeline a live game like destiny needs is not unreasonable.

The main thing I'm disappointed in is lack of new subclasses. I wanted all 3 to be brand new, not just one for each class. And let's face it, Dawnblade is just a warlock version of titan-hammer bro, and the new Hunter one is a cooler animated arcblade.

Oh well, still day 1.

Since they're wiping the slate clean, I was hoping for some new classes. One new subclass is disappointing.

Dynasty8

They have the same guns

This.

People have seriously lost their minds.

They have the same guns

In Uncharted's world you are limited in what you can do.

This is a sci-fi looter shooter, the possibilities are endless

I wanted light level gone. I wanted support classes. I wanted more expansive skill trees allowing a variety of build options.

I wanted more experimenting with the formula.

But from a business standpoint, I agree with what you are saying. The formula does work.

Kyoufu

Read some of the responses. If they had added new enemies, new classes, new AI behaviors, a bunch of new guns, new vehicles, and much more to the PvE space, that's something they should put front and center. What they chose to focus on instead are things that fit the scale of a content update, not a sequel.

They have 3 months or so to show the new things they've added.

People here are acting like they revealed everything there is, but we haven't actually seen the Adventure activity, the Lost Sectors, the settlements, social hubs etc etc. We've only seen one story mission. We've barely seen any weapons.

There is obviously more to see.

pmunk

I'm pretty satisfied with the reveal.

Destiny 1 with an expanded story and patrol structure, improved UI, and in game clan options would be pretty great.

Renkax

Anyone else just finds it weird that we won't be heading to the previous planets in destiny 1? I do love the look of the new planets we've seen in the stream but just plainly locking the planets away is odd

Tenshin

Thats why the gameplay reveal looks more of an expansion... What design changes they made exploring planets? How big are the environments now? After the bs in destiny 1 that you can go anywhere.. Do your ships do anything than just be part of a loading screen like in part 1?..

molnizzle

They have the same guns

Uncharted 2 also looked significantly better an opened with a "holy shit" set piece moment the likes of which you never saw in the first game. It still brought the "newness."

As underwhelmed as I am from the initial reveal, we won't know about content breadth and depth for a while. If that shit is on point, the story is decent, the game is generally more seamless and the PvP more balanced, then I'll be more than satisfied, especially considering it's coming to PC.

No dedicated servers is a major problem though. That shit can ruin multiplayer.

People here are acting like they revealed everything there is, but we haven't actually seen the Adventure activity, the Lost Sectors, the settlements, social hubs etc etc. We've only seen one story mission. We've barely seen any weapons.

I haven't seen anyone act like they blew their whole load in a one hour stream. But if there is more "new" stuff to see, people are obviously going to be skeptical if it's not shown in the first reveal.

This ain't Star Wars where you can tease 5 seconds of the Falcon and sell out tickets. Destiny fans and non fans alike want to know what this game is doing that the first one didn't, and it's fair to say today's reveal didn't really address that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Thats why the gameplay reveal looks more of an expansion... What design changes they made exploring planets? How big are the environments now? After the bs in destiny 1 that you can go anywhere.. Do your ships do anything than just be part of a loading screen like in part 1?..
There are added quests, NPCs, treasure maps and dungeons in patrol and all the locations are at least twice the size of D1.

No info on ships yet.

Kyoufu

Anyone else just finds it weird that we won't be heading to the planets in a destiny 1? I do love the look of the new planets we've seen in the stream but just plainly locking the planets away is odd

They overhauled and revamped explorable areas so much that the older patrol areas like Cosmodrome, Venus, Mars etc wouldn't fit the design template of D2. They'd have to go back and work on those areas to make them meet the new standard set in D2 and I doubt they'll ever do that.

For story purposes there's no reason to go back to those areas again anyway.

Obviously there are 4 months to launch, but this is the reveal for a sequel that has had at least 2 years of development and the first impressions are that it looks like "more Destiny" and not "the next Destiny"

There are two things with this, though...for one, it's not like any one complained that Halo 2 or Halo 3 just looked like an expansion of the previous games and people were over the moon for those games. Secondly, I'm not left to believe that they've exactly given away the farm with this reveal, too. I'm sure they'd like to leave some surprises for Destiny fans to discover. I, for one, think everything looks wonderful and just initiated my preorder for the digital deluxe version on PS4. I can not wait.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR

this is one of the reasons I sit back from GAF for awhile lol.
people get too crazy over the basic shit and assume everything as know it alls.

Dynasty8

Uncharted 2 also looked significantly better an opened with a "holy shit" set piece moment the likes of which you never saw in the first game. It still brought the "newness."

And that opening story mission we just saw today brought "newness" and "holy shit" moments that was missing from the mediocre Destiny 1 campaign.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I am literally shocked by people being underwhelmed....that was amazing and everything I wanted from the sequel.

+ Tanks.

I haven't seen anyone act like they blew their whole load in a one hour stream. But if there is more "new" stuff to see, people are obviously going to be skeptical if it's not shown in the first reveal.

This ain't Star Wars where you can tease 5 seconds of the Falcon and sell out tickets. Destiny fans and non fans alike want to know what this game is doing that the first one didn't, and it's fair to say today's reveal didn't really address that.

I disagree, and I've got 1000s of hours clocked in with D1.

It's doing plenty D1 didn't: story/lore at the front and centre, matchmaking systems for everything, totally revamped crucible, totally revamped weapons systems and all new weapons, clan support and customisation....the list goes on, can't see how veterens would be unimpressed IMO, maybe people who didn't play the first a lot, but not veterans.

BLCKATK

But the Nightfall is, by nature, heroic difficulty. That's the point.

There is literally zero reason why Guided Games shouldn't be available for the harder difficult. None. It completely kills the point of it.

People wanted matchmaking or something like it for Nightfalls. If their answer is, "Okay, fine. But we're making an easy version so it's not really the Nightfall and that's all you can do," that's unacceptable and stubborn game design.

In the video Urk said they wanted guided games to have a "no commitment" feeling to it, but be a good way to introduce you to players. I don't know if you market a system designed to get you into the hardest and most time consuming content in the game that way.

Over the coming months we'll hear more about the system, but after I've thought about it more and watched the reveal again, I don't think this system is an in-game LFG system. I dunno when we'll get it, if ever. Guided Games is a way to find you a community to play with and expand your horizons within the game. It's basically performing the role of posting in the DGAF thread or on the Destiny Sherpa Reddit.

I know that's going to make a bunch of people mad and disappointed, but until they really clarify what the system is, I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

I also want to state that I don't disagree with you really, maybe on the "unacceptable and stubborn game design" point, but I'm just explaining how I believe the Guided Games system is meant to be understood.

Afrocious

There are two things with this, though...for one, it's not like any one complained that Halo 2 or Halo 3 just looked like an expansion of the previous games and people were over the moon for those games. Secondly, I'm not left to believe that they've exactly given away the farm with this reveal, too. I'm sure they'd like to leave some surprises for Destiny fans to discover. I, for one, think everything looks wonderful and just initiated my preorder for the digital deluxe version on PS4. I can not wait.

Halo 3 was on a whole different console from Halo 2 along with adding a ton of new features over Halo 2.

What

I am literally shocked by people being underwhelmed....that was amazing and everything I wanted from the sequel.

+ Tanks.

I disagree, and I've got 1000s of hours clocked in with D1.

It's doing plenty D1 didn't: story/lore at the front and centre, matchmaking systems for everything, totally revamped crucible, totally revamped weapons systems and all new weapons, clan support and customisation....the list goes on, can't see how veterens would be unimpressed IMO, maybe people who didn't play the first a lot, but not veterans.

All of that is talk and talk from Bungie on Destiny is cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom