• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Reveal Livestream [Over]

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, hand cannon reload can be pretty brutal in D1 too without the right combo of weapon perks/class abilities/armor perks.

Yeah, I know. It's just, we all have our hopes for what "2" could mean. And it looks like the Crucible is pretty much staying the same, with the exception of rearranging weapon slots.

WipedOut

Allow me to pitch it in a more deliberate justification of the "Bigass 2"

• Four new zones, previous expansions only had one
  • Bigger zones, European Dead Zone is 2x as big as Cosmodrome
  • Patrol has NPCs dungeons and mini-missions now
  • "Bigger story and post-game story" (gotta take their word for it)
  • Total reworking of weapon system (double primary and power slots)
  • 3 new subclasses, significant reworking of remaining ones (look at this new Striker super)
  • New class abilities (Cover, Auras and Sidestep) regardless of sublcass
  • INT/DIS/STR have been removed and Armor, Agility, Recovery is reworked
  • New end-game matchmaking
I think from a content and rework perspective, the "2" is justified, but they didn't pitch it very much like that.

There are other improvements like Patrol Map, Public Event timers, Going to orbit, a full
Records tab, in-game Grimoire, removing artifacts (thank the Lord) that could be considered "expansion-tier", but the rest of that stuff is way out of scope for a Destiny Expansion.

All that stuff I'm SUPER excited for. But watching these gameplay videos is actually my concern.
  • TITAN SKATING IS GONE! WHAT THE HELL!
  • And the guns look like they handle like ass still. So much recoil. Why can't guns feel good in Destiny?
  • Hand cannons take more than 3 seconds to reload. Not even joking, look:
  • giphy.gif
  • The strike is pretty, but boy howdy is it LONG with tons of just running between small encounters. Looks tedious to replay.
So I'm actually also in the wet blanket camp, but for a different reason, lol. Everyone seemed to be enjoying playing it yesterday, so I'll reserve judgment until I get the game in my hands.

Other than the weird new Weapon layout I'm excited for D2. 4k 120FPS PC :eyes:

Going to have to order some buckets, will be filling quite a few in September.

Correct. However, all 3 classes are getting one of their elemental subclasses replaced:

• Titan (Void) Defeder -> Sentinel
  • Warlock (Solar) Sunsinger -> Dawnblade
  • Hunter (Arc) Bladedancer -> Poledancer (sorry, sorry, it's atually the Arcstrider)

Poledancer LOL . This will be canon from here on out.

Destiny OT: "Revenge of the Poledancer"

Lom1lo

Correct. However, all 3 classes are getting one of their elemental subclasses replaced:

• Titan (Void) Defeder -> Sentinel
  • Warlock (Solar) Sunsinger -> Dawnblade
  • Hunter (Arc) Bladedancer -> Poledancer (sorry, sorry, it's atually the Arcstrider)
The sentinel is the only new subclass. Dawnblade is the same as hammer Titan and arcstrider is just bladedancer with a pole.

Dawnblade is not the same as the hammer Titan

Isn't it though? Solar, range and melee kills, roaming. Just seems like a different aesthetic.

New striker seems really similar to Stormcaller with Landfall. Just has to melee everything instead of having a long-range zap.

Sentinel looks neat, but how many games let you play as Captain America already? Even D3 has that with the Crusader, lol.

JHall

Titans you get to be Captain America
Warlocks you get to be a flying Phoneix with a sword
Hunters you get to be a Bladedancer, again

Once again Hunters get the shaft....

Well I mean they're pretty close. In fact every class has mobile supers now. I'm glad they're dropping Sunsinger. It's too situational, same as Defender. I'm more bummed about that though to be honest. It's fun playing Mayhem Clash and being the fun police.

To be fair, hand cannon reload can be pretty brutal in D1 too without the right combo of weapon perks/class abilities/armor perks.

Yeah, as someone who absolutely loves Hand Cannons, I almost exclusively use them on my Hunter, because of the Gunslinger perks. Snap off a couple headshots in a row and you see Chain of Woe proc, and that gun reloads nice and fast.

I also saw that one of the Hand Cannons they came up in the stream had a perk on it where if you reload it while you still have rounds left, you lose the old ammunition, but the reload speed is increased. So that might be on all of them or just some of them, we'll have to see.

Lom1lo

What? One throws burnin Hammers, the other swords.

Edit:
The new striker super is the old super merged with bladedancer super. And the new gunslinger super, well its the old..
Hunter got really The worst treatment

Siege.exe

Titans you get to be Captain America
Warlocks you get to be a flying Phoneix with a sword
Hunters you get to be a Bladedancer, again

Once again Hunters get the shaft....

I'll take my flashy staff combos, thank you very much

Titans get a Charging Star tho, that ain't fair

Those Arc Staff combos and acrobatics turned the Bladedancer into a Monk from a Wushu film man. It looks awesome. Just have to wait and see how viable it is in PvE.

What's different about it? Other than being able to ground pound.

I've always loved sunbreaker, but is it disappointing seeing a "new" super basically copy it. Meanwhile Sentinel is completely new (well at least the captain America throwing bit, which is the best part) and that alone makes it my favorite shown yesterday. And I main warlock.

I really want to see how they tweaked voidwalker.

I was just having this conservation with a co-worker

Destiny: Homecoming would have been perfect.

you can tell this is 100% an expansion in the vein of WOW
It's not an expansion in a technical sense. Their engine has been iterated upon and this is essentially a new base game. None of the old content is being inherited, and it may never be.

LawfulEnder

Neo Member
Highly unlikely. That bugs me too. They announced three new(ish) subclasses, and you're resetting everything anyway, why not just build those three subclasses into another class instead of changing three existing ones (RIP Bladedancer)

At a guess? They didn't just want to add something, they wanted to change those subclasses.

Defender had become a bit too standard for Titan PVE, so they probably wanted it gone in order to promote more use of Striker/Sunbreaker. They also decided to cannibalize aspects of the bubble for the new Class abilities: Warlocks got the damage boost field and Titans got the shield. Sentinel is a defensive minded class (in a visual sense: the "thing" you get is a shield) that seems to give a roaming super (and let's also note that every super we've seen at this point is roaming: it seems like maybe a design decision to standardize some aspects of how supers work, again, probably with the intention to promote variety in gameplay: if the supers are fundamentally similar, it's less likely that one will be considered the "best.") There are obvious drawbacks here, of course: it means all the supers are fairly similar.

Self-Res, similarly, was probably an overused perk, but Radiance would be far less interesting without it. Enter Dawnblade: it reworks the entire class, keeping some basic design concepts (being airborne a lot), but dumps self-res. (It looks like they also lose the debuff, which is disappointing as that was a really interesting and often underused aspect of sunsinger,)

Arc-Blade has consistently been the least used Hunter subclass, so they significantly rework it in order to try to overcome some of those problems.

a harpy

It's not an expansion in a technical sense. Their engine has been iterated upon and this is essentially a new base game. None of the old content is being inherited, and it may never be.

Kinda semantics, though.

Also, it's worth noting that the engine for WoW has received some significant upgrades on for their expansions.

A big problem I'm having with the reveal is that I don't have anything to show someone that wasn't sucked in by Destiny 1. I have friends with lots of "if they..." statements and none of them were fulfilled. It was pretty disheartening to have friends ask me later on in the night, "So how was the reveal? Did they show off anything cool." I'm just sitting there like, "yeah... it was cool... if you like Destiny 1."

Yeah I guess that is true. Its strange because it looks and feels like a huge expansion (I dont find that a problem at all im HYPED beyond belief ) but I can see where the complaints are coming from. Seems to me they are making the game they wanted to in 2014.

Two Words

Destiny 1 had a problem where as a Warlock, self-revive sunsinger was the only sensible option to take for high level content, like raids and nightfall. It's annoying that their "fix" for this is to remove Sunsinger. They should make the other classes better, not remove what's good.

Trickster

Kinda semantics, though.

Also, it's worth noting that the engine for WoW has received some significant upgrades on for their expansions.

A big problem I'm having with the reveal is that I don't have anything to show someone that wasn't sucked in by Destiny 1. I have friends with lots of "if they..." statements and none of them were fulfilled. It was pretty disheartening to have friends ask me later on in the night, "So how was the reveal? Did they show off anything cool." I'm just sitting there like, "yeah... it was cool... if you like Destiny 1."

To be fair I think you could easily have said that it looks like there will be a proper campaign this time around.

Whens the open beta ?

Is a beta considered open if you have to pre-order? Serious question.

But I'm pretty sure they said beta would be in the summer some time

a harpy

Destiny 1 had a problem where as a Warlock, self-revive sunsinger was the only sensible option to take for high level content, like raids and nightfall. It's annoying that their "fix" for this is to remove Sunsinger. They should make the other classes better, not remove what's good.

Do we know it is removed for sure?

It would be fucking crazy if they seriously launch this game with each class only have two subclasses, a remade old one and a new one.

To be fair I think you could easily have said that it looks like there will be a proper campaign this time around.

You're right. I did say that a little bit, but we're not huge campaign people so it's not a big deal for us. The new open world stuff is a big bullet point but it's only halfway to what we were wanting.

I posted this in another thread and I'll put it here too.

Luke Smith said flat out in IGN interview consoles are locked at 30fps because of their CPU's!

Pro/Scorpio will be higher res but still 30 both of there CPU's are still to similar it's a limitation because of all their AI he says this point of fact.

Searched around to see if anyone had mentioned this. I love that Luke and Mark answered IGN's question directly and succintly, with details on why it's not possible even on PS4 Pro.

Anyone interested in their exact quotes, see below.

Luke: "The PS4 Pro is super-powerful, but it couldn't run our game at 60... Our game's this rich physics simulation, with collision and players, networking etc. It wouldn't run - not enough horsepower there yet."

Project lead Mark Noseworthy explained that while the GPU was powerful enough to render at 4K, it was the CPU that was to blame for the lower frame rate.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/19/destiny-2-ps4-pro-couldnt-run-game-at-60fps

molnizzle

warlocks should just git gud imo.

In all seriousness, the one way to make other classes "better" in the sense that Sunsinger was better would be to add self-revives to them. That's not really a solution.

Two Words

Yeah but that is such a basic improvement. Bungie isn't the first to do it, but it's just silly of them to emphasize that now Destiny 2 is going to have a campaign that actually functions.

Trickster

Do we know it is removed for sure?

It would be fucking crazy if they seriously launch this game with each class only have two subclasses, a remade old one and a new one.

There's 3 subclasses per class.

There are 3 subclasses in D1 currently if you have the latest expansion

a harpy

There's 3 subclasses per class.

There are 3 subclasses in D1 currently if you have the latest expansion

That's why I was thinking it would be crazy. I might have missed some information somewhere. Do have an exact list of what subclasses are returning? I've only seen the Warlock's new one, wasn't sure where it was confirmed the sunsinger is removed.

Kyoufu

Yeah but that is such a basic improvement. Bungie isn't the first to do it, but it's just silly of them to emphasize that now Destiny 2 is going to have a campaign that actually functions.

When you have millions of people telling you for numerous years that Destiny has no story and that its campaign is garbage then this is the logical reaction from the developer.

I don't see how it's silly. It was the biggest complaint from D1 players and reviewers.

Two Words

warlocks should just git gud imo.

In all seriousness, the one way to make other classes "better" in the sense that Sunsinger was better would be to add self-revives to them. That's not really a solution.
The reason why Sunsinger was so much better than Voidwalker and Stormcaller is that it's super and abilities were not about damage. Any class can output good damage with good guns. Class offensive attacks look cool, but lose their effectiveness once you reach higher levels. No weapon is going to let you self-revive. No weapon is going to let you get an ocershield. No weapon is going to let you throw down a defensive bubble.

Supers in Destiny that just give you a spike in damage fall out of the meta fast.

Two Words

When you have millions of people telling you for numerous years that Destiny has no story and that its campaign is garbage then this is the logical reaction from the developer.

I don't see how it's silly. It was the biggest complaint from D1 players and reviewers.
It shouldn't be a selling point though. It's like when Apple makes one of their tent pole features that have been available from their competitors for years and they brag about how now they've got it. Just say you got it, but don't boast about it's an impressive new inclusion.

Cruxist

The reason why Sunsinger was so much better than Voidwalker and Stormcaller is that it's super and abilities were not about damage. Any class can output good damage with good guns. Class offensive attacks look cool, but lose their effectiveness once you reach higher levels. No weapon is going to let you self-revive. No weapon is going to let you get an ocershield. No weapon is going to let you throw down a defensive bubble.

Supers in Destiny that just give you a spike in damage fall out of the meta fast.

Which is one of the reasons I'm mildly worried. Based on what we saw, 2 of the support classes have switched supers and are now DPS focused. The "class abilities" seem to replace them, but I think it's somewhat strange to just make supers these damage boosts. I mean, I'd like to see dps supers be effective in a raid, but I'm hesitant based on Bungie's track record.

Option-

- only 4v4 crucible
- dudebro story
- no new enemy types (maybe bungie´s holding them back for now)?
- zero graphical leap
- random, uninteresting score

I´m disappointed and severly concerned that this will catch the magic that Destiny 1 did when it launched.

Kyoufu

It shouldn't be a selling point though. It's like when Apple makes one of their tent pole features that have been available from their competitors for years and they brag about how now they've got it. Just say you got it, but don't boast about it's an impressive new inclusion.

They're not boasting. They're telling all the people who returned/sold/traded the game after being massively disappointed by the story campaign that this game is for them.

Any and every developer would do the same thing.

Two Words

Which is one of the reasons I'm mildly worried. Based on what we saw, 2 of the support classes have switched supers and are now DPS focused. The "class abilities" seem to replace them, but I think it's somewhat strange to just make supers these damage boosts. I mean, I'd like to see dps supers be effective in a raid, but I'm hesitant based on Bungie's track record.
Lol come to think of it, I remember last month talking about how classes like Sunsinger and Defender are good class examples in Destiny since their unique abilities allow for unique group gameplay and synergy. I talked about how I hope more classes in Destiny 2 are designed that way, instead of being dps classes that lose their effectiveness in the late game. And then Bungie just removes them from the game.

That's why I was thinking it would be crazy. I might have missed some information somewhere. Do have an exact list of what subclasses are returning? I've only seen the Warlock's new one, wasn't sure where it was confirmed the sunsinger is removed.
Well the subclasses represent each element, solar, void, arc, one for each. Dawnblade is solar along with Sunsinger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom