• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Reveal Livestream [Over]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the fact that it feels like an expansion or an evolution rather than a revolution is a bad thing.

I didn't play 29 days on my warlock because I wanted them to change everything, I just want them to fix the stuff there was problems with and give me a whole lot more to do. Looks like they've done just that.

A sequel should be a sequel, not just solely more of the same.

Love your avatar tho, Makoto is the best

Kyoufu

As someone who played Destiny for many hours and became burnt out on it, the main issue that I don't see being addressed is that D2 looks like more of the same. The same was good for me for a looong time, but that time has passed. I wanted them to completely shake things up. New races, new classes, flying vehicles, different structure for strikes—or hell, maybe replacing strikes altogether with something bigger and badder. I don't know. It's not my job to design the game for them. I just wanted to see something different. Many of the leaks from press sneak fuck made it sound like something different was coming. And shit, maybe something different is coming—but they didn't show anything different. I'm not about to just take them at their word. Not after D1.

I don't think we'll get a huge shake-up for a long time. Things like flying probably won't happen until Destiny 3, if at all. I think their priority was making the game Destiny 1 should have been, which is the more sensible decision as I don't think it'd be wise to drastically divert from a formula which has kept millions of players engaged for years before nailing their original vision. The way I see it is that they've got to walk before they can run.

I'm with you though, I want to fly around as well.

KageMaru

I read somewhere (possibly a tweet from someone at the event who inquired about the graphics) that the story mission gameplay footage they showed in the beginning was from the PC. It was hypothesized due to some of the effects looking like nvidia tech (like the sparks and shadows they cast on the floor).

I think its true, because the graphics were WAY better in that gameplay footage than the strike (which was captured on PS4).

Although I still think the game looks better than D1 in the strike footage.

Really disappointing if that's true. While overall I too think the strike is an improvement over Destiny 1, I was hoping the opening level demo was a fair representation of what we can expect on consoles. It's especially disappointing when you consider they didn't have to accommodate for last gen consoles.

Two Words

Here is my issue. They said a big reason why Destiny 2 wasn't going to carry Destiny 1's loot is because a lot changes were coming to Destiny 2. Thisvwas the case for even the microtransaction emotes.

What was shown today that makes it apparent that Destiny 1's loot could not be used in this game? This game doesn't feel like it justify its need to wipe away the loot as a necessity.

Carn82

The major criticisms for Destiny 1 were:

Lack of Content
Story
Loot Distribution
Quests
Matchmaking

Destiny 2 announced:
Content. More stuff to do than ever before in any game Bungie created. Playspaces bigger than previously, with at least one twice as big as previously. NPC's and Hubs inside the playspaces. Plenty of story missions and quests. Treasure and Treasure Maps. "Lost Sectors" that are hidden dungeons with their own bosses and treasures. New Public Events. New Strikes. New Raid.

Story. They spoke about the motivations of the enemies and guardians. Losing the initial fight. Losing your light and having to go find it. Having to go find and bring back the Vanguard leaders. More Story Missions. New Worlds. More Cinematics then they've ever had in a Destiny game.

Loot Distribution was already addressed and fixed by The Taken King. It became even more generous by Age of Triumph, but even if they scale that back to TKK levels, it's still great at that point.

Quests, again, were fixed by The Taken King. Destiny 2 is said to have more quests and side missions ("Adventures"). Alongside more story missions.

Matchmaking was already included except for Nightfalls and Raids. Bungie announced the Guide system. Allowing Clans to open up their groups to solos and duos (probably threes as well) so address the lack of matchmaking for this while trying to avoid the toxicity that infests complete PUG matchmaking systems.

This is pretty much my impression of the reveal. Sure, I would have loved 60FPS and other cool stuff but it seemed to be focused on adressing the biggest critiques the first game got and they -seem to- have covered those.

molnizzle

I don't think we'll get a huge shake-up for a long time. Things like flying probably won't happen until Destiny 3, if at all. I think their priority was making the game Destiny 1 should have been, which is the more sensible decision as I don't think it'd be wise to drastically divert from a formula which has kept millions of players engaged for years before nailing their original vision. The way I see it is that they've got to walk before they can run.

I'm with you though, I want to fly around as well.

I guess I just expected them to run because of the giant "2" and their insistence that this was a brand new game. I feel like they pretty much made the game D1 should have been with TTK. I was expecting a full, true sequel to that. Mostly because that's what Bungie said was coming. It seems they still don't know how to properly manage expectations for their game. That also worries me for several reasons... but that's another discussion altogether.

TsuWave

On a different note, I'm really happy with them getting rid of cheap OHK stuff like sticky nades and shoulder charge. Always thought those things were garbage.

Was it confirmed that you can start strikes and missions from the world? Not just load into them and spawn, but dynamic situations where you can walk up to the strike start point and begin. I would assume your hub world would then switch to only other people doing the same activity.

Yeah, let me type up a thesis statement when you told me to go back to my safe space lmao.

lol I noticed that also. He sends you a hot take insult and expects a genuine reply. C'mon now.

bigJP

The major criticisms for Destiny 1 were:

Lack of Content
Story
Loot Distribution
Quests
Matchmaking

Destiny 2 announced:
Content. More stuff to do than ever before in any game Bungie created. Playspaces bigger than previously, with at least one twice as big as previously. NPC's and Hubs inside the playspaces. Plenty of story missions and quests. Treasure and Treasure Maps. "Lost Sectors" that are hidden dungeons with their own bosses and treasures. New Public Events. New Strikes. New Raid.

Story. They spoke about the motivations of the enemies and guardians. Losing the initial fight. Losing your light and having to go find it. Having to go find and bring back the Vanguard leaders. More Story Missions. New Worlds. More Cinematics then they've ever had in a Destiny game.

Loot Distribution was already addressed and fixed by The Taken King. It became even more generous by Age of Triumph, but even if they scale that back to TKK levels, it's still great at that point.

Quests, again, were fixed by The Taken King. Destiny 2 is said to have more quests and side missions ("Adventures"). Alongside more story missions.

Matchmaking was already included except for Nightfalls and Raids. Bungie announced the Guide system. Allowing Clans to open up their groups to solos and duos (probably threes as well) so address the lack of matchmaking for this while trying to avoid the toxicity that infests complete PUG matchmaking systems.

So, if none of that was what you considered the major criticisms, please explain what exactly those major criticisms were.

with a sequel, i dont only want fixes to prior issues. i want them to move the series forward. using halo as an example: they introduced forge and theater mode between 2 and 3

but the game is looking good and fun. i guess was just expecting more from the reveal. sure they have gems hidden away for E3 and later

Carn82

Was it confirmed that you can start strikes and missions from the world? Not just load into them and spawn, but dynamic situations where you can walk up to the strike start point and begin. I would assume your hub world would then switch to only other people doing the same activity.

Not sure. Only thing they told is that you don't have to go to orbit first. But it would be cool if you could start a strike like that. Should be possible because that's sorta already done with Vault of Glass for example.

Kyoufu

I guess I just expected them to run because of the giant "2" and their insistence that this was a brand new game. I feel like they pretty much made the game D1 should have been with TTK. I was expecting a full, true sequel to that. Mostly because that's what Bungie said was coming. It seems they still don't know how to properly manage expectations for their game. That also worries me for several reasons... but that's another discussion altogether.

To be fair to them, they've never said that D2 will be a radical change from D1. In fact, yesterday was the first time they've said anything about their game to the public.

I remember that infamous video where they said you can go anywhere in the Cosmodrome playspace. They haven't done anything of the sort this time round.

Sounds like Halo roots are coming back to Destiny with 4v4 and longer TTK. I like the focus back on the gunplay and map control (as long as they're well designed) instead of an ability driven PVP.

Kyoufu

SO all modes are 4v4? Wonder if they will increase it for special events such as Iron Banner

Probably not at first. I imagine their initial wave of maps are designed around 4v4.

Maybe they'll bring back some D1 maps for 6v6 later down the road? Maybe. It just seems like the game is being balanced around 4v4.

molnizzle

To be fair to them, they've never said that D2 will be a radical change from D1. In fact, yesterday was the first time they've said anything about their game to the public.

I remember that infamous video where they said you can go anywhere in the Cosmodrome playspace. They haven't done anything of the sort this time around.

I'm more referring to Luke's keynote, along with the decision to actually call the game Destiny 2 with a giant-ass 2. Also the way they stated that D2 will be fresh start with nothing carrying over from the first game. I think its pretty clear the message they were trying to send. If that's not the message they were trying to send... well, they have a messaging problem.

It's funny you bring up the Cosmodrome video, because I was super reminded of that when they got on stage talking about how interesting the world is to explore and how there's so much to do in it now... and then didn't show any of it. I don't trust their sales pitches anymore because of stuff like that Cosmodrome video. If that stuff is there, they need to show a taste of it. Until I see it I'm gonna think they're blowing hot air.

spyder_ur

As a long time player I don't say this to be a wet blanket, and I also say it with the understanding that we will see a bunch more of the game and some of this might be addressed, but I came away pretty disappointed in the reveal.

"ooh Destiny 1 DLC' or similar is a condescending and exaggerated way of saying it, but honestly there wasn't one thing I saw yesterday that I wouldn't have believed was in a TTK/ROI level expansion pack for D1.

The most disappointing to me in terms of possibility was that we appear to be playing with the same subclasses (or 3 new ones that seem more like remixes) against the same enemies in the same type of environments with the same weapons (couple new types) supported by the same leveling system. I found myself envisioning other possibilities.

Basically, of course I'm stoked for more Destiny with a new coat of polish and paint (and it really looks good), but I didn't find myself moved, if that makes sense.

That being said, the social stuff (while not hugely important for me as I have a regular group and community) is a huge thing for the game. I hope it's well implemented and more people get to experience raids and such. I'm really optimistic about the small improvements in strikes and story that they made after D1 vanilla and how that may play into a full game. Similarly, I'm very curious to see more about how the open world/patrol/outposts, and a different approach to PvP is sorely needed so I'm excited about what goes on there. Let's do it.

TsuWave

Sticky nades were awesome though, reminds me of Halo.

gun skill, movement and spatial awareness should be the focus tho.

them stickies had ridiculous aim assist and could curve around corners like bullets from that movie wanted. It was ridiculous.

few things on trials were worse than coming up against a team of 3 sunsingers all running double stickies. It was alright at first because majority of people running that were scrubs that needed a crutch but for some reason it got to the point even decent and good players started running that cheap composition, especially after special ammo nerf.

stickies made pvp look dumb

Neverwas

I watched the Tower assault video this morning, and that looked like a huge improvement over D1. If missions are that cinematic, I'll probably be happy with the game.

Gator86

So, watched some youtuber videos, read some articles. Let the information sink in. I'm obviously going to pick the game up after investing so much time in Destiny, but there are definitely some complaints.

The Good:
- Graphics look to be improved, and Bungie is clearly taking advantage to make the environments look more alive. Although I did see a hive area in one of the trailer and it looked as boring and crappy as ever.
- The weapon system is really interesting. I think having fusions/snipers/shotties all in the same category as rockets could be a gamechanger. I'm a PvE guy, so hopefully there's not a huge damage differential there.
- The story looks like it actually exists. I'll be interested to see where it goes. The cinematics were great, and I'm hoping we'll get even more badass moments from the Vanguard, especially my boy Zavala.
- In-game lore button. Thank god.

The Meh:
- The hunter arc subclass is basically just a re-designed arcblade. Why not do something different?
- 4v4 pvp could go either way. It seems like one good player could easily carry a team even moreso now than before, especially in normal crucible. I'm withholding judgement until I play, but still.

The Bad:
- Bullet sponge bosses return. I'm glad there's more mechanics, but the strike boss suggests it's still a big bad and lots of minions. I was hoping for more dynamic stuff like the death zamboni, or perhaps even a boss without adds.
- No more Titan bubble. I can't wait to be Captain America, but I'm a bubble bro for life. The barrier seems like a nice replacement, but I liked supporting my team with WoL or Blessing!
- Seems like subclasses are getting tweaked instead of major overhauls. I'm all for more mobility, but I liked the variety of the D1 classes. Warlocks with the rez could save an encounter, titans to support, and then hunters to up DPS. I hope there are still roles to play.

This is something I was really curious about because there was zero effort in bosses in D1 outside of raids. Every boss was the same giant, slow-moving bullet sponge with a splash damage mortar attack and instant-kill melee dome surrounded by adds. If that's the same in D2, that's a huge bummer.

I guess I have to ask, what sort of differences were you expecting? I mean, specific examples. We knew there were going to be a few consistent things carried over:

• Supers
  • classes
  • weapon classes
  • crucible
  • strikes
  • raids
  • A continuation of the Cabal story based on the outbound signal mission. We knew early on this was probably the way the sequel was going to go given early leaked info.
  • general look of the game. I mean it's Destiny, the look and feel was always going to be carried over.

There's also some changes that were to be expected based on feedback from the first game:

• weapon rebalancing
  • OHKs (grenades, cheap specials)
  • spawn killing (4v4 now)
  • bigger, more interactive environments with life and people that make the world feel more alive
  • QoL improvements (no more going to orbit every time, map, clans, lfg, etc.)

I'm sure there are more changes that were expected that are escaping me right now.

If you look at what they've shown so far, I'm curious why you believe they haven't delivered on this. Now it's different to have expectations that they might not change these things enough for you and that's fine but that's different than feeling they failed to deliver a new enough game and just gave us a glorified expansion. If you feel this is what D1 should have been that's fine too because others feel the same way and hey if that's what has happened what's the problem? They're finally doing what we feel they should have done from the beginning. In the end isn't that what we wanted? I'd be curious at what exactly you expected them to do. Remember, we're not talking about going far enough here (more weapons, bigger play spaces, etc), we're discussing fundamental changes to the game.

Z3M0G

Have they confirmed that you can pull up a planet map while you are on the ground? View points of interest? Fast travel?

If so... good lord... MASSIVE deal to me.

This is unacceptable. Bungie biggest fumble!

I remember on another video someone saying each strike does less damage than it did in D1. Hopefully it is not a 1HKO. Smh.
The supers are all still extremely devastating. It's the non-super abilities that seem to have been dialed back a bit.

Kyoufu

Have they confirmed that you can pull up a planet map while you are on the ground? View points of interest? Fast travel?

Yes, you can pull up the Director map wherever you are. No need to go to orbit.

Gator86

Sadly not, still seems to be a panic button, now with multiple smashes per activation.

I look forward to continuing to never, ever touch crucible unless forced to as part of an exotic quest-line. I really hope they don't force you to as part of any exotic quest-lines.

So.. watched this Strike

https://youtu.be/d_PwEJom5YE

It says Destiny 2 in the title..

But If someone had told me this was a new strike set on Venus from Destiny 1 i would seriously have believed them (i have not played the latest addon packs to Destiny 1)

Imo it looks pretty much identical? Still more or less a corridor with the same enemies and weapons. I guess there are more particle effects and new powers..

haha same here; Vex architecture also rubbed me the wrong way becaues everything is very polygonal and squary that all Vex locations look alike

gun skill, movement and spatial awareness should be the focus tho.

them stickies had ridiculous aim assist and could curve around corners like bullets from that movie wanted. It was ridiculous.

few things on trials were worse than coming up against a team of 3 sunsingers all running double stickies. It was alright at first because majority of people running that were scrubs that needed a crutch but for some reason it got to the point even decent and good players started running that cheap composition, especially after special ammo nerf.

stickies made pvp look dumb

I disagree on this one. I am of the opinion that the player should play the way he wants to. What's the point of playing Destiny over other shooters if the abilities are toned down? Just go play any other shooter then

Gudji

Yup, they have. I think that will change the feel of the game quite a bit, since you now can select different landing zones on the same planet, travel to other planet or queue for activities.

Honestly I dropped off the first game after a week because I found it incredibly boring and repetitive. People insisted D1 got better with DLC, but I had already long stopped playing at that point, and I don't think people should have to pay for something just to fix the problems with the game anyway.

After watching some uncut gameplay captured yesterday at the event, it really just feels like more of the same. And I guess that's fine if you enjoyed the first game, but I'm disappointed they didn't really seem to add or change anything that would entice people who didn't like the first one.

Maybe I'll give it a shot when it comes out on PC, but I think the structure of the game and series is fundamentally flawed, honestly.

Looks better, nice QOL improvements and looking to be more variety in campaign content as well as end game tasks. I was on board for more Destiny regardless, so I am satisfied with the reveal. My only hopes that weren't met were 2 raids included with vanilla, 4 player fire teams and 60fps mode for Pro. Not deal breakers, but oh well. I am curious about any PC <-> PS4 save transfers. I will likely have way more friends on PS4, but if I could share a save file and jump on to play with my one or two PC friends who are likely to get it, might be worth a double dip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom