• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Shadowkeep (OT4) Free Stuff For Everybody!

Eliciel

5 long hours...and really challenging in parts, not just purely time consuming. It really felt accomplishing finishing that Ace of Spades Quest today. I will carry your legacy with me, Cayde. R.I.P. my friend. You made the world a better place."

Last edited:

Dthomp

5 long hours...and really challenging in parts, not just purely time consuming. It really felt accomplishing finishing that Ace of Spades Quest today. I will carry your legacy with me, Cayde. R.I.P. my friend. You made the world a better place."

Awesome! Great gun, even better on PC. If I remember right that quest used to actually be much tougher but I think they brought down the requirements needed. Cool to know it's much shorter

Eliciel

Awesome! Great gun, even better on PC. If I remember right that quest used to actually be much tougher but I think they brought down the requirements needed. Cool to know it's much shorter

you can for sure take longer if you need more time doing 25 headshots in pvp with hand guns, because that is for sure skill based and not just time consuming ;)

Mithos

After playing a few days. It's a game I can see myself playing.
But if you no longer need to do certain things they should have removed it full stop.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I found a golden pistol called the Drang and this thing is amazing. I have higher level weapons but this thing is so lethal thatI never want to switch to anything else lol. It fires so fast and does so much damage.

Bigrx1

Banned
I heard Destiny 1 had a pretty good lore compendium that they got rid of for 2. Did they ever add something in-game that has a lot of lore information for new players that can help them get some background on names and places they hear mentioned?

Dthomp

I heard Destiny 1 had a pretty good lore compendium that they got rid of for 2. Did they ever add something in-game that has a lot of lore information for new players that can help them get some background on names and places they hear mentioned?

D1 had lore cards, but you had to access them from outside the game via their site. D2, certain items (All exotics, many legendary) include lore right on the gun in game, they also have lore cards in their triumphs section which give alot more detail to people and things in the game. I haven't spent alot of time reading it TBH, I think the characters were built up better in the lore of D1, but their likely is a more spread out lore to be had in the sequel here just by volume of it, if that makes sense.

Bigrx1

Banned
D1 had lore cards, but you had to access them from outside the game via their site. D2, certain items (All exotics, many legendary) include lore right on the gun in game, they also have lore cards in their triumphs section which give alot more detail to people and things in the game. I haven't spent alot of time reading it TBH, I think the characters were built up better in the lore of D1, but their likely is a more spread out lore to be had in the sequel here just by volume of it, if that makes sense.

So just weapons have lore associated with them or you're saying there is that in addition to another lore section focused on people and places?

since when did they start voicing our Guardian? I'm playing the Forsaken campaign quests (I broke down and got both Forsaken and Shadowkeep) and my Guardian is talking in it. I thought that only applies to Shadowkeep stuff lol

edit: Youtuber Byf had always been my go to when it comes to Destiny lore stuff. love his work.

Last edited:

Repo Man

Been trying to search the web with mixed results at best so thought I'd ask my questions here or maybe someone has a link or 2 to share that will explain things.

I'm a Destiny noob having only played D1 base game back in the day and I played D2 base game sporadically when it was a freebie on BNET until this summer when I finally sat down and as a bit of a project finished the base game campaign and CoO but didn't complete Warmind. Didn't buy Forsaken as I just didn't get around to it but am now back at it with Shadowkeep and having a blast. On to my questions...

- Dreambane armor: does it serve a purpose other than for the campaign ? I got the whole set and I'm ready for the next step but as I'm already 900+ light level it feels a bit odd that I have to use armor that is of lower level than what I currently wear. Is there a way to upgrade it beyond 860 or whatever the level of the armor is ?

- Speaking of upgrades: when's a good time to upgrade my specific items ? I'm guessing when I get something that might be a bit more permanent ? Also when would I want to consider upgrading an item to masterwork and what does infusing do ? Trying to wrap my head around this Armor 2.0 business and don't want to blow mats on improving something I might throw away in 5 minutes.

- Older content: Not super bothered about story stuff but is there any point doing any older content such as unlocking the Menagerie ? What can I skip and what would be essential, if anything ?

- Vex Offensive: Been grinding that a bit yesterday, what do the weapon seeds do that you can buy from Ikora ?

- Crucible: Casual'ish PvP is probably going to be my main hobby once I'm finished with the Shadowkeep campaign and associated activities. I remember D1 had some bigger team games and maps with some vehicles and stuff, I'm guessing Destiny 2 doesn't have anything like that ? I don't mind the smaller control maps but damn I had some fun crucible games in the larger maps of D1!

I'm sure I'll have a million more questions but that's the main ones at this point in time.

Thanks.

I'm still proceeding through the game, very slowly due to limited time I have in this period, but still, and the more I progress, the more I'm under the impression this new season is to prepare us to Destiny 3, the feeling of a preparatory phase is strong here

since when did they start voicing our Guardian? I'm playing the Forsaken campaign quests (I broke down and got both Forsaken and Shadowkeep) and my Guardian is talking in it. I thought that only applies to Shadowkeep stuff lol

edit: Youtuber Byf had always been my go to when it comes to Destiny lore stuff. love his work.

Iirc he talked some other times, but imo is better when he's silent, the dub is...huh...

Side note: I noticed Bungie unlocked the before locked under seed of light classes, so good for the newcomers to find everything unlocked and ready to use

Last edited:

Typhares

So now that I'm PL 903 it's going get really grindy right?
I still have all the campaigns to do though!
Really want to try the leviathan raid but being UK time it seems most of you guys are not online then.

The Guardian spoke in vanilla Destiny 1, but inexplicably stopped in The Taken King. It wasn't until D2 Forsaken that they started to talk again.

Last edited:
Iirc he talked some other times, but imo is better when he's silent, the dub is...huh...

Side note: I noticed Bungie unlocked the before locked under seed of light classes, so good for the newcomers to find everything unlocked and ready to use

The Guardian spoke in vanilla Destiny 1, but inexplicably stopped in The Taken King. It wasn't until D2 Forsaken that they started to talk again.

I honestly don't remember my Guardian speaking at all. guess I've been away for too long that's all XD

So now that I'm PL 903 it's going get really grindy right?
I still have all the campaigns to do though!
Really want to try the leviathan raid but being UK time it seems most of you guys are not online then.

I play at some random time pretty often, including late night, so look me up if you need help. tag is Carnival Of Stupid

Last edited:

Typhares

I honestly don't remember my Guardian speaking at all. guess I've been away for too long that's all XD

I play at some random time pretty often, including late night, so look me up if you need help. tag is Carnival Of Stupid

I'm on steam only, if you are too join the group :)

Been trying to search the web with mixed results at best so thought I'd ask my questions here or maybe someone has a link or 2 to share that will explain things.

I'm a Destiny noob having only played D1 base game back in the day and I played D2 base game sporadically when it was a freebie on BNET until this summer when I finally sat down and as a bit of a project finished the base game campaign and CoO but didn't complete Warmind. Didn't buy Forsaken as I just didn't get around to it but am now back at it with Shadowkeep and having a blast. On to my questions...

- Dreambane armor: does it serve a purpose other than for the campaign ? I got the whole set and I'm ready for the next step but as I'm already 900+ light level it feels a bit odd that I have to use armor that is of lower level than what I currently wear. Is there a way to upgrade it beyond 860 or whatever the level of the armor is ?

- Speaking of upgrades: when's a good time to upgrade my specific items ? I'm guessing when I get something that might be a bit more permanent ? Also when would I want to consider upgrading an item to masterwork and what does infusing do ? Trying to wrap my head around this Armor 2.0 business and don't want to blow mats on improving something I might throw away in 5 minutes.

- Older content: Not super bothered about story stuff but is there any point doing any older content such as unlocking the Menagerie ? What can I skip and what would be essential, if anything ?

- Vex Offensive: Been grinding that a bit yesterday, what do the weapon seeds do that you can buy from Ikora ?

- Crucible: Casual'ish PvP is probably going to be my main hobby once I'm finished with the Shadowkeep campaign and associated activities. I remember D1 had some bigger team games and maps with some vehicles and stuff, I'm guessing Destiny 2 doesn't have anything like that ? I don't mind the smaller control maps but damn I had some fun crucible games in the larger maps of D1!

I'm sure I'll have a million more questions but that's the main ones at this point in time.

Thanks.
I'm 911 and i still haven't infused anything. I just equip the higher power stuff but only when it's required. Infusion is when you use a higher power level to increase the PL of another equipment.
You're only forced to use the dreambane armor for that mission. You can equip whatever you want.
The weapon bounties Ikora has will reward that specific weapon. Kill enough vex anywhere, complete the vex offensive to receive the weapon. Perks are random.
Menagerie has some weapons worth grinding for. But you need runes for that and i don't know how you get those now.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Did a bunch of vex attack stuff last night. Was pretty fun but easy. Same darn guns everytime too. Got the weekly on it though so that's good.

I'm about 850ll so climbing.

Can you up the difficulty on the vex stuff at all?

Upgrades are way different now too!

Did a bunch of vex attack stuff last night. Was pretty fun but easy. Same darn guns everytime too. Got the weekly on it though so that's good.

I'm about 850ll so climbing.

Can you up the difficulty on the vex stuff at all?

Upgrades are way different now too!

As someone not participating and has no idea... if it's a sort of public event it may be like other public events where some random action can turn it heroic and therefore more difficult, or it could get worse by the week kinda like the Curse in Forsaken.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
As someone not participating and has no idea... if it's a sort of public event it may be like other public events where some random action can turn it heroic and therefore more difficult, or it could get worse by the week kinda like the Curse in Forsaken.
Could be, this week is nearly impossible to fail

manfestival

How many of yall are in destinyGAF? I want to do a raid. WHEN YALL GONNA DO A RAID? I have been playing for over a year now and have not done a single raid. PLSSSSSSSSSSS muh frans

Dthomp

Thanks.

-Dreambane armor is needed to be worn to go into the final Shadowkeep mission, after that it's just a cosmetic armor. It's fine to use if you get a good roll on it, once you do the table bounties you'll see better armors then the 860s they give you for the story

-Upgrading I'm still not sure on. As a rule, I've tried to keep one of each armor element type for each slot and anything above 53-54 point totals as a minimum, but I don't fully get what a good roll will look like yet. I wouldn't blow mats any time in the immediate future. Stock up and wait til you get an armor piece that looks legit. So far the best Legendary piece I've seen is at 60 points, and I got an exotic drop at 70.

-Older content, at least for raids will offer Armor 2.0 versions so if you liked the look of armors, as well as the older raids featured the catalysts for some exotics is reason to run those. Menagerie is a good way to fill specific slots if you have an armor piece or two behind, but this will require leveling the chalice up first. Some of the better guns are available in there too, like Austringer, Beloved, Fixed Odds, as well as some favs that you can try to get god rolls of, like the dumbly strong Erentil FR, Dust Rock Blues, and more.

The weapon seeds once completed will pay out that gun from the Vex Offensive activity as a reward for completing it.

D2 has no bigger map PVP type activities unfortunately, in fact many of the maps are still too undersized for the change to 6x6 from 4x4.

Hope that helps some.

Dthomp

VertigoOA

Banned
Overload rounds seem to work best on auto-rifles. Something about the function tied to the repeated hits.

At 921. Gonna fish up the weeklies and some exotic quests tonight.

Y’all know about the raid weapon exotic quest right? Not sure if anyone solved it yet

Ps - Knew optative was thegun to farm the moment I first shot it. Got a nasty one with, accurized rounds, rapid hit and kill clip but still need a better barrel

Last edited:
Edit made, PC and PS4 clans have combined into 1 GAF community. Link added for the groups steam community page, and have a link to the discord in the Clan Chat in Bungie app or on bungie clan page, can also PM me for a link if that is easier too.

how do I join the Steam group? used the find groups function but got nothing.

edit: nvm, I are dumb. joined

also, should I keep the old exotic armors or just get the new version? I'm still kinda confused on what I should do if I have old mods in these armors.

Last edited:

Dthomp

how do I join the Steam group? used the find groups function but got nothing.

edit: nvm, I are dumb. joined

also, should I keep the old exotic armors or just get the new version? I'm still kinda confused on what I should do if I have old mods in these armors.

The only reason to keep the old armor is if you play crucible and want the perks that the exotic give, otherwise just pull one out of collections if you need it for an activity

The only reason to keep the old armor is if you play crucible and want the perks that the exotic give, otherwise just pull one out of collections if you need it for an activity

cool, thanks. I just finished the Forsaken story line, hopefully I'll be working on Shadowkeep stuff soon.

Dthomp

If anybody needs or wants a run through the Shattered Throne (Forsaken DLC) for drops, or quests LMK. I'll be helping another Gaffer and have room for a 3rd or if two need it I can bow out since I don't. Happening real soon

MastAndo

Gold Member
Started up the Wendigo GL3 grenade launcher quest earlier today just to have a legendary heavy that works better for DPS, and the initial part wasn't so bad. I loaded up the strike playlist solo and wandered off to lost sectors and public events, and had the 1500 kills and 500 multikills in a couple of hours - the Fighting Lion is clutch for this, but it took me a bit to get decent with it. That said, after all that, I'm only at 29% in the points part of the quest. Ugh, not even a third of the way through. What a slog. I heard the quest was made easier recently and strike completions help with progress, so I'll give that a shot.

By the way, if you ever have quests or bounties that need to be done in modes that force fireteams/matchmaking but you'd rather not bother anyone with it or want to do solo on your own time, you can force solo in the PC version as well, like you can on PS4 (by changing the system time back a few years). The method is different though - download this file (make sure to preserve the .ps1 extension, if you're copying and pasting or something), and while in orbit, load it in PowerShell (right-click, Run with PowerShell) and leave it open. Voila, you're now playing Destiny 2 all by your lonesome in all modes. When you're done, just tab over to PowerShell and hit any key to close it, and you're back playing as intended.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
920 nightfall retained its challenge so far regardless of being matchmade.

Nightfall traditionally never did this but the first two of 5 difficulties feature it.

Neolombax

I don't remember Bungie even announcing that they're going to make Nightfalls available for matchmaking. So far I've only tried the Adept level, and its challenging. This is huge for me. I get to finally play Nightfalls as I usually just solo stuff and opt not to LFG.

So far I really like Shadowkeep. Not as meaty as Forsaken, but that's expected. About the re-skins of Lost Prophecy weapons, I think its a fun way of implementing them again in the game but with random rolls now, with leaves nonetheless.

Story wise, I did not expect Shadowkeep to actually move the plot forward. I'm excited to see where it leads, especially since Bungie has stated Shadowkeep's seasons will see the main story being told to us progressively, as compared to Forsaken's Seasons where each season was sort of a side story to the main plot.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Been playing this over the last two nights and really liking it.

Is there any reason to visit the old planets anymore?

Repo Man

-Dreambane armor is needed to be worn to go into the final Shadowkeep mission, after that it's just a cosmetic armor. It's fine to use if you get a good roll on it, once you do the table bounties you'll see better armors then the 860s they give you for the story

-Upgrading I'm still not sure on. As a rule, I've tried to keep one of each armor element type for each slot and anything above 53-54 point totals as a minimum, but I don't fully get what a good roll will look like yet. I wouldn't blow mats any time in the immediate future. Stock up and wait til you get an armor piece that looks legit. So far the best Legendary piece I've seen is at 60 points, and I got an exotic drop at 70.

-Older content, at least for raids will offer Armor 2.0 versions so if you liked the look of armors, as well as the older raids featured the catalysts for some exotics is reason to run those. Menagerie is a good way to fill specific slots if you have an armor piece or two behind, but this will require leveling the chalice up first. Some of the better guns are available in there too, like Austringer, Beloved, Fixed Odds, as well as some favs that you can try to get god rolls of, like the dumbly strong Erentil FR, Dust Rock Blues, and more.

The weapon seeds once completed will pay out that gun from the Vex Offensive activity as a reward for completing it.

D2 has no bigger map PVP type activities unfortunately, in fact many of the maps are still too undersized for the change to 6x6 from 4x4.

Hope that helps some.

Thanks buddy, that helps plenty!

Dargor

So, at the risk of sounding lazy, but I already made a quick google search and found no answer, so I'm just gonna ask it here and see if someone knows:

If I buy the last expac (shadowkeep) do I unlock all the content that came before it or do I have to buy old expacs (forsaken) to unlock everything?

Dthomp

So, at the risk of sounding lazy, but I already made a quick google search and found no answer, so I'm just gonna ask it here and see if someone knows:

If I buy the last expac (shadowkeep) do I unlock all the content that came before it or do I have to buy old expacs (forsaken) to unlock everything?

You'd have to buy Forsaken to unlock Forsaken and that seasons annual pass content unfortunately.

Dthomp

Whew, got my 3rd character up to 953 with Power bonus, what a grind. Now to hope we get some users up to level and can start raiding with Gaffers soon!

Neolombax

Been playing this over the last two nights and really liking it.

Is there any reason to visit the old planets anymore?

Yes, you get bounties from the planet vendor to get easier planetary material, which you will use to buy upgrade cores from the gunsmith at the tower. Also for weekly flashpoints for powerful engrams.

Tesseract

Banned
having a good time, game is pretty chill

crucible is fun tho i'm starting to understand some of the complaints about maps

VertigoOA

Banned
Whew, got my 3rd character up to 953 with Power bonus, what a grind. Now to hope we get some users up to level and can start raiding with Gaffers soon!

Curious isn’t?

So many reviews dropped. Yet here I am a veteran player putting in 5 hours a day at least and just finally became powerful enough for some quests and activities.

Didn’t know reviewers were on the world’s first teams... or got preview builds of the dungeon and further vex invasions.

Oh wait, they didn’t ... or play the raid.

Hope Bungie is done giving out access keys to these frauds. Just saw a dude fire an auto rifle like a scout..

Last edited:

Dibbs

Where do I find Nightmare Hunts? Are they marked on the map? I thought they were Lost Sectors invaded with nightmares? For example K1 Logistics.

Top Bottom