• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2: The Witch Queen |OT|

Sausy1987

I haven't played this since destiny 1 . Could i play witch queen on my own as effectively a single play campaign ? the world & lore appeals to me

I haven't played this since destiny 1 . Could i play witch queen on my own as effectively a single play campaign ? the world & lore appeals to me
You can play the first 2, fairly long levels of the Witch Queen story through the free version of Destiny 2. I played them both on Legendary solo, and then played coop with a friend. I'd go ahead and play those before you buy, but you certainly could play on your own and have fun.

doing solo master Lost Sector and I really want to know who are the people that did the Champion placements in these things. having a Barrier servitor right near an Overload Fallen captain is bullshit of the highest order. and at these difficulties, Fallen shock rifle shots tracking is simply ridiculous. I was literally behind cover with no line of sight to them, and about 2 out of 5 shots would just bend (not curve mind you, BEND) out of their way to hit me. how about giving us a primary weapon like that Bungie?

Balboa

It's so sad playing Wellspring: Attack and witnessing 6 players fail to split into 3 teams of 2 every single time, say goodbye to any hope of getting matchmaking for high level activities

Shubh_C63

Been reading Halo TV show thread and waiting till Bungie/Sony releases their animated Destiny show/movie and blow everything out of the water.

LordCBH

Is it me or are the armor rolls absolute garbage this season?

I'm getting nothing good drop.

Focusing umbrals at the ear table for individual armor pieces is the only way I’ve gotten decent armor. Slap an armorer mod on your ghost and decrypt the slot you want and it’ll be base 63+ everytime from my experience.

Ogbert

Focusing umbrals at the ear table for individual armor pieces is the only way I’ve gotten decent armor. Slap an armorer mod on your ghost and decrypt the slot you want and it’ll be base 63+ everytime from my experience.
Yep, that’s what I’ve been doing.

It’s more just that general world drops are low 50 rubbish. Usually you’d get an occasional good one. Feels like it’s been gimped slightly.

sainraja

You most definitely can.

Ohh I didn't know your ghost could influence umbral unlocks. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

splattered

Yeah focusing at the war table is how I was getting my good stat armor.. though I think Bungie may have stealth nerfed the way it was working? Im a hunter so I want mobility and recovery right? Well previously I would slot my ghost with the discipline mod to guarantee a +10 discipline roll and the way armor was dropping via this method meant I would then have higher mobility/resilience/recovery stats but lower intelligence and strength. Like the 6 stats were broken up into 3/3 groups. If you got a high stat in one of the bottom 3 then it should put more points into the top three stats (if that makes any sense heh) but I've rolled several pieces as of a week or two ago and it doesn't seem to be working that way anymore.

Last edited:

LordCBH

You most definitely can.

Ohh I didn't know your ghost could influence umbral unlocks. Thanks for the tip!
Yep! Just remember that the top 3 stats are tied together and have a point distribution max, as are the bottom 3! Not as useful to know at the war table, but if you ever do a master raid and the high stat armor for the week is mobility, you’d want to put your mod to be one of the bottom 3 stats to not waste it.

sainraja

Yep! Just remember that the top 3 stats are tied together and have a point distribution max, as are the bottom 3! Not as useful to know at the war table, but if you ever do a master raid and the high stat armor for the week is mobility, you’d want to put your mod to be one of the bottom 3 stats to not waste it.
Oh very cool. That is also a good tip. Thank you! I have only done a master encounter successfully for the Fatebringer (Timelost) but will keep that in mind for next time. Appreciate it.

Last edited:

splattered

That's what i was talking about in the post above yours.. at the war table i have been able to focus a discipline piece of armor and then make the game drop armor with higher top three stats, but it seems to have stopped working for me as of a week or two ago? I've kept the same discipline mod slotted.

some interesting changes coming next season. anti-flinch and mid-air shooting adjustments along with no more special ammo scavenger in PvP should make for some interesting changes. the buff to Trace Rifle and some of the other exotic changes are great as well. I personally don't really use glaives all that much so I can't say if those changes are good enough, but at least the exotic glaives buffs seems nice.

Xur on Nessus selling a great Dead Man's Tale with heavy cal and vorpal in case anyone is interested. the Nezarec's Sin Warlock helmet also has a great roll if you don't one yet.

sainraja

Xur on Nessus selling a great Dead Man's Tale with heavy cal and vorpal in case anyone is interested. the Nezarec's Sin Warlock helmet also has a great roll if you don't one yet.
Thanks for the tip!

EDIT
Stability stat is kinda low on it though.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
I don’t know if it’s the right place but now suddenly I can’t play Destiny 2 it’s unplayable, after the loading screen the frame goes from 120 to 14!

No idea what is going on but recently I upgraded to windows 11 but I don’t think it’s the problem because other games such as CP2077 and Elden Ring are working just fine

If anyone has a solution for this one

seems like a lot of PvP changes coming next season with Iron Banner being the main focus. not sure having only 2 Iron Banner each season is a good thing or not but all the changes seem interesting and pretty good to me.

Dthomp

seems like a lot of PvP changes coming next season with Iron Banner being the main focus. not sure having only 2 Iron Banner each season is a good thing or not but all the changes seem interesting and pretty good to me.

Haven't played in months but heard the twab was about IB changes, and with IB being one of my favorite things from D1 I was reminded why I have grown to hate Bungie since those days. You finally FINALLY listen to your players who much preferred the way IB worked in D1 (Armor sets for better XP, better XP for banner and guns), getting rid of tokens and then instead of letting people be hyped they slap the playerbase across the face and say oh, only 2 IBs a season now...so we can keep the stupid title rare I assume. Went from almost wanting to reinstall for the changes to just laughing and being happy I deleted it. These clowns just don't get it, but at least they got Sony funding them until they decide they are "mistreated" and try to get out of another partnership.

Appreciate the updates though Robot Carnival Robot Carnival it's the only way I even keep up with this roaring dumpster fire game anymore.

Haven't played in months but heard the twab was about IB changes, and with IB being one of my favorite things from D1 I was reminded why I have grown to hate Bungie since those days. You finally FINALLY listen to your players who much preferred the way IB worked in D1 (Armor sets for better XP, better XP for banner and guns), getting rid of tokens and then instead of letting people be hyped they slap the playerbase across the face and say oh, only 2 IBs a season now...so we can keep the stupid title rare I assume. Went from almost wanting to reinstall for the changes to just laughing and being happy I deleted it. These clowns just don't get it, but at least they got Sony funding them until they decide they are "mistreated" and try to get out of another partnership.

Appreciate the updates though Robot Carnival Robot Carnival it's the only way I even keep up with this roaring dumpster fire game anymore.

glad you find it useful. I had never been a big PvP player so these changes only make me mildly hyped, but at least they have a new map so that's something. as for the 2 IBs a season, I feel they're trying to put Trial as the focus for highend PvP. and since IB is not tie to level now, they probably just want to make it a little less of a focus for PvP. in any case, I can understand why some does not like the changes, but over all I think it's worth a try at the very least.

Dthomp

glad you find it useful. I had never been a big PvP player so these changes only make me mildly hyped, but at least they have a new map so that's something. as for the 2 IBs a season, I feel they're trying to put Trial as the focus for highend PvP. and since IB is not tie to level now, they probably just want to make it a little less of a focus for PvP. in any case, I can understand why some does not like the changes, but over all I think it's worth a try at the very least.

As much as I consider trying again, I'd be more likely to just jump back into D1 honestly. The "end game" loop of D2 just does nothing for me, and since leveling takes all of two days now it leaves little to do when farming has become so basic with focused vendors. I miss the hype of a new DLC in the first game and doing all the content in hopes of a new exotic dropping, I just can't get behind running boring as shit lost sectors with the challenge being terrible designed champion enemies. That might be the thing I find least enjoyable, that and GM NFs being one of the only ways to try to get top loot, or even the fact that they haven't moved old "NF" weapons into strike specific loot pools yet. So many ways that could entice players who have left to come back much more then here's the same loop you already left, but MORE grindy.

I am far from a PVP player, I'd say I'm average at best, but always loved hopping into D1 with a couple friends and burning some hours there. In this current landscape of games and FTP titles, I'd much rather give a spin in Vampire Blood Hunt, maybe buying Evil Dead, or even trying out Non Build Fortnite before I'd do more then a weekend of D2. I'll see what is posted about the new season, just felt like the game lost all usefulness to me after finishing the campaign last season.

splattered

Finally hit 1560 base power last night as five pinnacles were very kind to me. They usually screw me over repeatedly and i get upset every week but this weekend was awesome. Got exactly what i needed and no dupes. But now... i'm looking at content like what do i even do next? haha I'm not a raid person, maybe i could try those a bit? I ran through my first Master Lost Sector yesterday solo easy peasy, but not sure if i want to do ALL of those or not some of them really suck. Just wait for next season to drop? Anyone know if Solar or Arc are coming next and what build a hunter may need? Right now i'm movement, recovery, and discipline focused on my build.

As much as I consider trying again, I'd be more likely to just jump back into D1 honestly. The "end game" loop of D2 just does nothing for me, and since leveling takes all of two days now it leaves little to do when farming has become so basic with focused vendors. I miss the hype of a new DLC in the first game and doing all the content in hopes of a new exotic dropping, I just can't get behind running boring as shit lost sectors with the challenge being terrible designed champion enemies. That might be the thing I find least enjoyable, that and GM NFs being one of the only ways to try to get top loot, or even the fact that they haven't moved old "NF" weapons into strike specific loot pools yet. So many ways that could entice players who have left to come back much more then here's the same loop you already left, but MORE grindy.

I am far from a PVP player, I'd say I'm average at best, but always loved hopping into D1 with a couple friends and burning some hours there. In this current landscape of games and FTP titles, I'd much rather give a spin in Vampire Blood Hunt, maybe buying Evil Dead, or even trying out Non Build Fortnite before I'd do more then a weekend of D2. I'll see what is posted about the new season, just felt like the game lost all usefulness to me after finishing the campaign last season.

completely understandable. if you're not feeling it, no point in forcing yourself. games are for having fun after all. I feel there are still plenty of things I can do with the PvE stuff so I'll still be playing. hell, with the solo que trial I was able to get a few pieces of trial weapons too, so that's cool. hopefully next season would offer up even more things for people to do. btw, seems like next season we'll get the Trespasser exotic sidearm (from D1), so that should be interesting too.

Finally hit 1560 base power last night as five pinnacles were very kind to me. They usually screw me over repeatedly and i get upset every week but this weekend was awesome. Got exactly what i needed and no dupes. But now... i'm looking at content like what do i even do next? haha I'm not a raid person, maybe i could try those a bit? I ran through my first Master Lost Sector yesterday solo easy peasy, but not sure if i want to do ALL of those or not some of them really suck. Just wait for next season to drop? Anyone know if Solar or Arc are coming next and what build a hunter may need? Right now i'm movement, recovery, and discipline focused on my build.

I would definitely recommend trying the raids. just find one on the Bungie LFG that's welcoming for those who's new to them and give it a go. like I said before, I got all my raid stuff done through the LFG and as long as you're willing to talk to people, raids are the most fun stuff you can do. the 3 man dungeons are also good thing to try since they're basically raid lite, so can be fun too. and nobody knows if we'll get solar or arc rework next, but I feel it's most likely going to be arc.

also, if you're not sure what to do or getting burn out, here's some suggestions.

splattered splattered Well yeah the new season is like a week away so uhh I guess you can do a slow pinnacle grind again... And I guess there is a new dungeon coming? So that should be pretty cool.

For me grabbing a friend or two and doing the GM Nightfalls is the most fun thing in the game. Not so much because they're just so well-designed and a joy to play... it's more overcoming unfair challenges with friends, and the comedy that ensues. We've cleared most of them as duos (just missing Scarlett Keep and Arms Dealer because of the rotation and having done them all via the Conqueror gilding node thing), which is a nice bit of extra challenge and really lets you develop your invis hunter cheese skills.

Are you just running Hunter? Having one of each makes the pinnacle grind much quicker, and uhh, gives you more to do... even if it is a lot of repetition... But it opens up a lot of gameplay options... unfortunately most of which aren't viable in endgame content aside from a few very specific cheesy builds.

So I guess for next season, the things I look forward to will be:
  • New Dungeon, first just clearing it, then solo clear/flawless and then master mode (probably not solo for that though)
  • GM Nightfalls, trios and duos
  • Maybe finally doing the raid... though I guess to be efficient I would LFG a sherpa run this weekend while my power level is OP so I can focus on the mechanics
  • Maybe some Trials, but it has been very unfun this season solo queuing so I probably won't unless I have teammates
Everything else I do in game is so I could do those things... Well really Trials I kind of only do to get weapons for PVE stuff as well.

As for your hunter build... you could do this w/ max mobility + disc or strength:

Kerotan

Queen of the worms quest for the parasite exotic. Does that need to be done this week before the season starts? Or will the quest still be there?

splattered

completely understandable. if you're not feeling it, no point in forcing yourself. games are for having fun after all. I feel there are still plenty of things I can do with the PvE stuff so I'll still be playing. hell, with the solo que trial I was able to get a few pieces of trial weapons too, so that's cool. hopefully next season would offer up even more things for people to do. btw, seems like next season we'll get the Trespasser exotic sidearm (from D1), so that should be interesting too.

I would definitely recommend trying the raids. just find one on the Bungie LFG that's welcoming for those who's new to them and give it a go. like I said before, I got all my raid stuff done through the LFG and as long as you're willing to talk to people, raids are the most fun stuff you can do. the 3 man dungeons are also good thing to try since they're basically raid lite, so can be fun too. and nobody knows if we'll get solar or arc rework next, but I feel it's most likely going to be arc.

also, if you're not sure what to do or getting burn out, here's some suggestions.

Thanks! I've only completed one raid ever in the game - Scourge of the Past. It was fun but i think it's supposed to be one of the easier Raids in the game haha Our younger son actually sherpa'd my wife and i and some randos through that. Good times. (My son does lots of dungeons and raids, he has the raid exotics etc). The only dungeon i've done is Grasp of Avarice and i've been doing that weekly this season for the pinnacles. Fun stuff but i never bothered with dungeons before that. I think they're changing the way dungeons work next season and introducing a rotation or something? So maybe soon i'll be doing ALL of them? Dunno :)

splattered splattered Well yeah the new season is like a week away so uhh I guess you can do a slow pinnacle grind again... And I guess there is a new dungeon coming? So that should be pretty cool.

For me grabbing a friend or two and doing the GM Nightfalls is the most fun thing in the game. Not so much because they're just so well-designed and a joy to play... it's more overcoming unfair challenges with friends, and the comedy that ensues. We've cleared most of them as duos (just missing Scarlett Keep and Arms Dealer because of the rotation and having done them all via the Conqueror gilding node thing), which is a nice bit of extra challenge and really lets you develop your invis hunter cheese skills.

Are you just running Hunter? Having one of each makes the pinnacle grind much quicker, and uhh, gives you more to do... even if it is a lot of repetition... But it opens up a lot of gameplay options... unfortunately most of which aren't viable in endgame content aside from a few very specific cheesy builds.

So I guess for next season, the things I look forward to will be:
  • New Dungeon, first just clearing it, then solo clear/flawless and then master mode (probably not solo for that though)
  • GM Nightfalls, trios and duos
  • Maybe finally doing the raid... though I guess to be efficient I would LFG a sherpa run this weekend while my power level is OP so I can focus on the mechanics
  • Maybe some Trials, but it has been very unfun this season solo queuing so I probably won't unless I have teammates
Everything else I do in game is so I could do those things... Well really Trials I kind of only do to get weapons for PVE stuff as well.

As for your hunter build... you could do this w/ max mobility + disc or strength:

Yeah i only run hunter in D2. In D1 i had both hunter and warlock but mostly used hunter. I could probably level warlock/titan pretty quickly now that i'm max base light level and that would help me with the next season coming up? I don't have a ton of free time to game lately w work and kids and everything but maybe i'll consider doing that. Hmm haven't considered doing GM Nightfalls yet either. Aren't they like 1600 light level? haha OH one thing i havent finished is legendary campaign cause my wife was having a hard time with it so we kinda stopped and focused on other stuff in the game. Maybe we can spin that back up again too.

Thanks for that video! I follow PlunderThaBooty and he has some pretty good build videos but the presentation of the video you posted is awesome... very thorough i'll check it out! Right now i'm running night stalker ruinous effigy build with sixth coyote for two dodges/invisibility. Focusing on mobility, discipline, and recovery but none of my stats are maxed. I do have decent stat armor etc but void fragment nerfs hit pretty hard. I'll watch the video you posted in full, looks really good.

Anybody know?
That's a Witch Queen quest so yeah it will stick around. I'm pretty sure the seasonal content will stick around as well, that's what they did with HELM last year w/ Beyond Light, each season got its own area in HELM, and then they all stuck around until the next expansion.

The only 'content' that's leaving is some rewards which get rotated out and replaced with something new, e.g. Trials or Nightfall weapons.

Kerotan

That's a Witch Queen quest so yeah it will stick around. I'm pretty sure the seasonal content will stick around as well, that's what they did with HELM last year w/ Beyond Light, each season got its own area in HELM, and then they all stuck around until the next expansion.

The only 'content' that's leaving is some rewards which get rotated out and replaced with something new, e.g. Trials or Nightfall weapons.

And can you stack bounties for locations like the moon or is that just crucible, gunsmith, vanguard bounties etc?

And can you stack bounties for locations like the moon or is that just crucible, gunsmith, vanguard bounties etc?
Not 100% sure what you're asking, but you can grab bounties ahead of the reset so that you can level up the next season pass if that's what you mean. You can grab pretty much whatever so long as it's not leaving the game, and of course it needs to be something that lists XP as a reward. You can probably even redeem Guardian Games bounties next season; you just obviously have to complete them beforehand.

Kerotan

Not 100% sure what you're asking, but you can grab bounties ahead of the reset so that you can level up the next season pass if that's what you mean. You can grab pretty much whatever so long as it's not leaving the game, and of course it needs to be something that lists XP as a reward. You can probably even redeem Guardian Games bounties next season; you just obviously have to complete them beforehand.
Thanks bro. Been a year since I played. Forgot all the tricks!

LordCBH

After 6 months I finally reset my Xur rank. And the last dares run managed to get me enough points to get the forerunner catalyst. I never have to play this fucking mode again.

Dthomp

Well, now I see why they didn’t drop the trailer sooner. Haunts again? That was awful the first time, and back to one of the worst raid areas in the Leviathan…gross.

splattered

Well, now I see why they didn’t drop the trailer sooner. Haunts again? That was awful the first time, and back to one of the worst raid areas in the Leviathan…gross.

Yeah i'm gonna play it obviously but i'm not super stoked for the "new" theme... solar rework yes - but haunts/moon again? blah

Vindicator

Nice to have Leviathan back as a patrol zone, always liked the art direction there, sadly not as opulent/colorful as before but better than nothing.

LordCBH

Nice to have Leviathan back as a patrol zone, always liked the art direction there, sadly not as opulent/colorful as before but better than nothing.

I legit wasn’t expecting it to be a patrol space, just an activity space. I’m so beyond happy we got a new zone.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Not a fan so far Shadowkeep was by far my most disliked expansion and this feels like shadowkeep lite.

at least we got solar 3.0 but so far not enjoying it. Also bugged to hell and back right now, servers prob getting hammered.

LordCBH

Holy balls Solar 3.0 is a hot ducking dud. They fucking ruined solar warlocks and titans. Well of Radiance flat out sucks ass now. Gone is bottom tree dawn blade. The “new” dawn blade is just bad. The aspects are bad. Icarus dash is a bad aspect. Not being able to charge into a healing grenade sucks, none of solar 3.0 has synergy with exotic armors that it should.

Just oof. How did they think this was ready?

Dthomp

Holy balls Solar 3.0 is a hot ducking dud. They fucking ruined solar warlocks and titans. Well of Radiance flat out sucks ass now. Gone is bottom tree dawn blade. The “new” dawn blade is just bad. The aspects are bad. Icarus dash is a bad aspect. Not being able to charge into a healing grenade sucks, none of solar 3.0 has synergy with exotic armors that it should.

Just oof. How did they think this was ready?

My guess would be that they realized Void 3.0 was busted and WAY to strong, so of course whichever class came next was going to be the complete opposite. Or maybe they are finally going back to what they had promised before WQ about making the game more based around gunplay and weapons and not an ability spam simulator which it was all of last season. IDK

My take is that they constantly have to dance on eggshells trying to keep PVP somewhat functional and that they'd be better off having the mode be completely separate. Like completely different armor sets that occupied their own vault, completely different subclass aspects and fragments. Maybe even completely different weapons. Does anyone like playing PVE to get a PVP weapon or vice versa?

Not only would it make balance simpler for them, but it would also just be better from a player perspective to not have to manually swap all your crap if you want to go between PVP and PVE, or resort to some third-party tool to try to do it for you.

My other priority if I were running the show would be a robust auto-dismantle system. I'm not an MMO guy but my friends assure me that other games have that, and that the implementation is about as obvious as it sounds.

I have a hard time fathoming how those two things aren't their top priorities.

Dthomp

My take is that they constantly have to dance on eggshells trying to keep PVP somewhat functional and that they'd be better off having the mode be completely separate. Like completely different armor sets that occupied their own vault, completely different subclass aspects and fragments. Maybe even completely different weapons. Does anyone like playing PVE to get a PVP weapon or vice versa?

Not only would it make balance simpler for them, but it would also just be better from a player perspective to not have to manually swap all your crap if you want to go between PVP and PVE, or resort to some third-party tool to try to do it for you.

My other priority if I were running the show would be a robust auto-dismantle system. I'm not an MMO guy but my friends assure me that other games have that, and that the implementation is about as obvious as it sounds.

I have a hard time fathoming how those two things aren't their top priorities.
To be fair, pvp has been almost completely ignored for two years outside of the trials rework. Every nerf has been due to pve imbalance and them wanting us to use specific load outs and such. Other then an out.Kerr here and there, d1 pvp worked just fine most of the time without half the issues, but the people that were behind the pvp side of balance in d1 were not on the d2 one, that’s why we got shot 4x4 instead.

Their biggest issue, going back to launch was not wanting this game to feel like d1.5 and we are still paying the price with constant changes in every activity and so much wasted time on seasonal activities instead of core gameplay modes and focus.

We had auto dismantle in d1, not sure why it’s so hard here. Honestly, blue drops serve no purpose after the first days, so once you hit soft cap they should auto dismantle. So many other games have the mark as junk system and mass auto deletes too, we just suffer from crap people being all that’s left working on this game. Keep in mind the best dude they had behind destiny in the old days was taken off d2 and put in charge of their new ip

LordCBH

Other than Solar 3.0 being a wet fart, I’m really enjoying the start of this season. Really interested to see where the story goes. First Sever mission was pretty good, and I’m having a good time just hanging out on the Leviathan with buddies.

I farmed 5000 shards.

Also, new dungeon is hard as fuck lol. But I like it mostly.
Me and a buddy tried to duo it blind, but being slightly under level for the 1570 encounter plus being shorthanded was a bit much to get it in one sitting. We had to call it after a lot of tries on that final boss. It was otherwise fun, but felt like they didn't allocate as many resources to it as Grasp. But I do love dungeons, if they could up the cadence to having a new one every season that would be amazing. But I guess every other is still pretty good.

I have my extra PC running TinyTask. I've gone from 4k shards to 29k so far. I only turned it off for a few hours to play the dungeon. And ya know what happened there? Well of course it overfilled my postmaster with 19 blues and 2 extra engrams to delete my prisms and ascendant shards. Because that's what playing one activity gets ya. Sure we played it a lot and beat our heads against the wall to the tune of 4k total kill between us. But still. One activity. Lose more than you gain.

Meanwhile TinyTask is pure profit, it pays not to actually play the game.

Top Bottom