• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny locks non-DLC users out from Weekly Strikes when DLC content is in rotation

Fee

Somewhat related....

What really bothers me about the DLC is that in the story missions and 2 new strikes you spend 80% of your time in places you have already been. I understand that the multiplayer maps and raid content is brand new but with content as sparse as it is for 20$ I was expecting not to be killing enemies in the same area that i had been when i was level 4 while on a level 26 strike.

I just picked this game back up and I'm at level 20. Now I gotta spend more time in your game because I didn't get the DLC yet? You fucked up hard with this game Bungie and you continue to keep screwing players even deeper.

Kill3r7

This game is great, and I've spent a lot of effort defending it, but they shouldn't have locked out this stuff for non DLC owners.

The weekly/nightfall rotates every week. So, this is temporary issue which will come up once every 6 weeks. This is pretty common among MP games when new DLC is released. That said, it totally sucks for non DLC users. Hopefully they'll offer an alternative strike/weekly but I doubt it.

etakarine

Neo Member
This is just another money grabbing attitude, as soon as Bungie went 'independent' and started working with Activision, I knew this would happen. I was given Destiny as a birthday gift, played up to level 17 got so fed up with it, it is boring, probably the most boring game I've ever played. I've always had a thing against games that heavily rely on grinding; this one goes to whole new lengths.

Time to cut my loses and part ways with this lame excuse of a game.

:(

Darker

Banned
Could anyone point out if/when Bungie have apologised for any part of Destiny?

I get that people like the game, but its seems very clear they like them in spite of obvious flaws. Bungie and Activision appear to continue to act is if it's GOTY and flawless in every way. It would be a whole lot better if they went 'Yeah, serious mistakes were made, we'll learn from them' (unless they already have?)

Gurrry

Why? I am playing this right now because I bought the damn Ghost Edition and was hopping for some significant content. Already done with the new story missions after a hour. This game is constantly going two steps back.

Wow seriously? So the story missions were fuckingnothing.gif????

JamboGT

I guess the easy fix is to have multiple weeklies, then they could add in the PS exclusive maps that aren't rotation as well!

tbm24

I just picked this game back up and I'm at level 20. Now I gotta spend more time in your game because I didn't get the DLC yet? You fucked up hard with this game Bungie and you continue to keep screwing players even deeper.

How exactly do you have to spend more time in the game this week? You're only lv20.

So after reading more..

The reason we cant do the nightfall or weekly this week is because its the DLC stuff. I understand that. So im a little less frustrated, but at the same time, they should have made seperate playlists. One for DLC owners, and one for non-owners.

However, someone clear this up for me..

You can no longer do the lvl 16,18,20,24, etc Strike Playlist and get engrams UNLESS you buy the DLC because the engrams are now only attached to the lvl 30-32 strikes?

Is this correct?

How are they handling the crucible?

I think that the LVL24 strikes don't give rare blue engrams at the end now as a reward. Who still cares about getting blue loot when the ramp from lvl 1 to lvl 31 is shorter than ever before, I'm not sure.

Gurrry

Somewhat related....

What really bothers me about the DLC is that in the story missions and 2 new strikes you spend 80% of your time in places you have already been. I understand that the multiplayer maps and raid content is brand new but with content as sparse as it is for 20$ I was expecting not to be killing enemies in the same area that i had been when i was level 4 while on a level 26 strike.

Crucible maps are on planets weve already been to (besides the ship?) and it all looks exactly the same as the other maps.

Maledict

Isn't it just because this week's weekly is the new strike? Obviously that one requires the DLC. Next week's will be available to anyone with the base game.

Overblown non-issue.

Every MMO does this.

The new cap is 32, not 31. You can buy your level 31 gear at the vendor but you need to raid for your 32 gear.

It's exactly the same situation as before.

No. Let's be clear.

No MMO has ever done this three months after launch. Replacing the existing raid gear with vendor bought stuff is unique to this game, and an incredibly bloody stupid idea. Once every two years when you launch a huge new expansion - absolutely, the game needs it. But after three months is a new thing, and coming ontop of an 'paid for expansion' that appears to have less content than a normal MMO content patch is just ridiculous.

Vendor bought gear should get you to 30, and the raid should be balanced around that. The fact that someone who completed hard mode vault of glass now has to grind vanguard marks and rep is pure idiocy.

molnizzle

So after reading more..

The reason we cant do the nightfall or weekly this week is because its the DLC stuff. I understand that. So im a little less frustrated, but at the same time, they should have made seperate playlists. One for DLC owners, and one for non-owners.

They obviously want to incentivize players to buy the DLC. Destiny doesn't really have a traditional DLC model. It's an always online MMO-lite with dedicated servers. They really should be charging a subscription, but they didn't want to do that. The "DLC" updates are basically a delayed subscription payment for people who are still playing.

tbm24

This is just another money grabbing attitude, as soon as Bungie went 'independent' and started working with Activision, I knew this would happen. I was given Destiny as a birthday gift, played up to level 17 got so fed up with it, it is boring, probably the most boring game I've ever played. I've always had a thing against games that heavily rely on grinding; this one goes to whole new lengths.

Time to cut my loses and part ways with this lame excuse of a game.

:(

Bungie has done this since Halo 2.

Anastasia

So I'm being locked out of content I originally had because I don't have "optional" DLC, and the only way to gain access back is to pay money ... for said DLC.

That is really lame. I don't want to support Bungie if they're going to do stupid shit like this.

This is the same thing they did in Halo. The problem is that Destiny is nothing like Halo. It's an MMO. You can't just lock players out of content and drops for a week in an MMO. Well, I guess you can technically but, it won't go over well.

It's not like it's just not letting players play a MP map pack here.

Gurrry

What did you expect?

They even said themselves that "They heard us loud and clear and that the story in the DLC is actually good".

Lol.

Oh man oh man oh mannnnn

Can you atleast do 2 raids in a given week? Or do you have to pick and choose?

MisterM

Would there be any repercussions to selling Destiny on when my console is from the bundle?

For example, if it decided to shit itself and I needed to return it to the shop, it would be incomplete and I would not be eligible for a refund/exchange. Would I then have to deal direct with Sony?

JayEH

Wow seriously? So the story missions were fuckingnothing.gif????

Did you play Destiny?

They even said themselves that "They heard us loud and clear and that the story in the DLC is actually good".

Lol.

Oh man oh man oh mannnnn

Can you atleast do 2 raids in a given week? Or do you have to pick and choose?

1. Developer of game says game is great. What did you expect?
2. That shit was cut from the game to begin with so there was no way they would make any changes.

danowat

Banned
Fighting the same mobs of enemies for hours and hours is considered good game design now?
Said nothing about "design"

The gunplay is / was fun as hell, and the game was very compelling to play.

There was a really solid foundation to build on, but they royally fucked that up.

You like to eat chicken wings with ketchup??
ss_R181477.jpg

Nah, man.

I'm all about dat blue cheese.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
This "game" (DLC hub) is such a joke. Hilarious that they are now taking stuff away from the already gimped original content. lol. Seriously the worse game I've bought since like Beyond the Beyond. Never again Bungie.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Could anyone point out if/when Bungie have apologised for any part of Destiny?

I get that people like the game, but its seems very clear they like them in spite of obvious flaws. Bungie and Activision appear to continue to act is if it's GOTY and flawless in every way. It would be a whole lot better if they went 'Yeah, serious mistakes were made, we'll learn from them' (unless they already have?)

If Bungie thought it was flawless, why would they constantly point out what's wrong and how they are going to fix it? What's with the patches that fix past mistakes? And yes, some people like the game despite the "obvious flaws", but you know what? That's the case with every game, ever made. Unless you only play "flawless" games...? Not sure any exists.

I'm all for bashing Destiny/Bungie but let's not get silly.

The DLC locks out rewards of the weekly strange coins and nightfall legendary item

The content is still playable.

So no OP, no content has been technically locked.

As the coins and nightfall is dropping > lvl 30 gear and guns, then its arguable either way

Maybe if Destiny actually had a decent variety of content then this wouldn't be such a problem. But at a certain point weeklies and nightfalls become a very important part of your progression. If you can't get the strange coins there's no point grinding it out every week.

gatti-man

Isn't it just because this week's weekly is the new strike? Obviously that one requires the DLC. Next week's will be available to anyone with the base game.

Overblown non-issue.

Every MMO does this.

The new cap is 32, not 31. You can buy your level 31 gear at the vendor but you need to raid for your 32 gear.

It's exactly the same situation as before.
This thread is embarrassing honestly. The issue is obvious and hopefully they patch it. Even if they don't its one week out of six. Let's all rage about it. Even though lvl 31 armor now allows easier progression than pre dlc. It's just a bungie hate thread per normal.

Did I get this right?

They released those as a "free" update/event and now that the first dlc comes out, they remove any rewards from those if you don't have the dlc?

This sounds like if you couldn't get any achievements (even those that have nothing to do with the dlc) in EU4 (because the only "payoff" in it is the hard achievements) if you don't have all the dlc. That is insane.

That is a one way to "persuade" your customers to get dlc, just hope it doesn't cross some magical line at some point...

the DLC is cool, really cool BUT its over after 30 minutes of play, then its only the raid left... and weekly and nightfall.

So after 30 minutes of play I am back to what it was like before DLC dropped. Doing nightfall, weekly and Raid every tuesday. Sorry bungie but I think you will lose me due to lack of content. if we could get a DLC like this every month, then yes, I would stick around, but then the DLC should be free.
I

Bungie, making games they want to play.
Bungie today feels so alien to the Bungie of several years ago.. really wondering if they should even bother with a PC release if they're going to be the same way.

Instead of persuading people to keep the game and buy new compelling content they're actually encouraging some to trade in I think.

blackflag

I don't think it's that big of a deal...1 week in 6 they can't do the nightfall or weekly.

Also they bumped up the strike level that gives you loot BUT non DLC buyers have access to loot now, from vendors, that will easily get them to level 30.

jschreier

Overblown non-issue.
I imagine it's not a non-issue if you're a Destiny player who can't afford the DLC but still wants to get coins and make progress in the endgame every week.

Kill3r7

No. Let's be clear.

No MMO has ever done this three months after launch. Replacing the existing raid gear with vendor bought stuff is unique to this game, and an incredibly bloody stupid idea. Once every two years when you launch a huge new expansion - absolutely, the game needs it. But after three months is a new thing, and coming ontop of an 'paid for expansion' that appears to have less content than a normal MMO content patch is just ridiculous.

Vendor bought gear should get you to 30, and the raid should be balanced around that. The fact that someone who completed hard mode vault of glass now has to grind vanguard marks and rep is pure idiocy.

1) Destiny is not your traditional MMO. 2) it's on consoles only, so the PC business model might as well not exist (console games do not have the same type of communities as PC games). 3) vanguard marks are pretty easy to max out if you just do the weekly strikes and do bounties.

That said, I agree there are better ways to do this but it is obvious Bungie are trying to slow down progression so folks stick around until the next DLC.

Not to mention locking Xbox owners WHO BUY DLC out from addition content.

Bungie used to be my favorite developer
New Bungie =/= Old Bungie
:'(

molnizzle

No. Let's be clear.

No MMO has ever done this three months after launch.

No, let's actually be clear.

Every MMO does this whenever a new raid is added. Destiny just calls things by a different name.

In WoW you have your GearScore (or average iLevel). In Destiny you have your Light level.

When a new WoW raid is released there's some new gear for you to spend your Justice points on (or whatever they're called now). It's the same shit.

All Bungie did was incorporate GearScore/iLevel into the standard progression, which is actually brilliant when you think about it. The core gameplay loop is exactly as it was before, and perfectly in line with every MMO that has ever been.

Top Bottom