• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT26| Like a Hat

zewone

Yeah I'm curious what makes one legendary rocket launcher better for PVP than another. I have a Radegast's Fury with tracking and an Admonisher III and they both seem pretty equally effective. As long as the blast radius is large and tracking is present they should get the job done, right?

What, exactly, is handgrenades and horsehoes?

I got an Ash Factory from last IB but did not level it up because of already having the other launchers.

Tracking is pretty crap for PVP.

You want Grenades and Horseshoes, which causes the rocket to explode early when near an enemy so it's WAY more forgiving. You only need to aim in their general area.

You want high velocity to get the rocket to kill your opponent as quickly as possible.

You want a high blast radius to kill with proximity from further.

velocity > radius though.

I just ran Crota solo to practise for a flawless run. Anyone that wants to for a flawless run with me on ps4? Preferably someone that can run the sword.
Also, What would be the best number for a flawless fireteam? I'm thinking 2 or 3.

It can absolutely be done w 2-3 rather easily, but I still think a full team of 6 is best. Definitely the most fun with the most comraderie, the only downside is having to organize 6 people. We did two flawless raids this past weekend, including some pretty new raiders, and they were easy as pie.

There've been a lot of people expressing interest in doing Flawless Raider, there's probably enough to support another 2 runs at least. I'm happy to Sherpa if people want, maybe even tonight if that works.

Trakan

It would be great if Xur sold Horn the week before TTK dropped as a thank you to Year 1 Guardians from Bungie.

But... but... they already thanked us with an emblem!

really? You are very unlucky. I've done Templar 3x many times and FB usually drops at for at least two people in the three runs.

I did a VOG run the other day with two guys who were up to 70 something completions and neither had a Fatebringer yet. They both got one on that run.

noomi

Since there is chat about rocket launchers for pvp, here a link for all you guys who might need some good info:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CruciblePl...ouse_of_wolves_rocket_launcher_reforge_guide/

In other news, I went back to using the Hawkmoon this weekend and I really missed it. I'm trying to avoid going full scumbag using a Thorn.

I started using the Hawkmoon again last week and have been consistently using it since. It's hard getting used to anything other than TLW after a while but the Hawkmoon is just awesome for getting those headshots, the aim assist is just beautiful.

Also... I don't use the thorn either because I feel it's just too scummy lol

It can absolutely be done w 2-3 rather easily, but I still think a full team of 6 is best. Definitely the most fun with the most comraderie, the only downside is having to organize 6 people. We did two flawless raids this past weekend, including some pretty new raiders, and they were easy as pie.

There've been a lot of people expressing interest in doing Flawless Raider, there's probably enough to support another 2 runs at least. I'm happy to Sherpa if people want, maybe even tonight if that works.

I would love to try a flawlwss tonight. The only day I could do one.

Although, I realize many others have expressed interest before me, so I could go with a 2nd group if we have enough for that.

Dunlop

Thanks for the rocket info, for me I am looking at the best for PVE

I'm generally happy with my Hunger of Crota until some dude stands beside me with a Gally and then proceeds to lay waste to everything

...then I sulk

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I realized something this morning after the Nightfall run: I'm not in the loot chase anymore. Other than the 'Horn, which I've long given up getting, I'm playing pretty much just for the fun. I just picked up the third of the PoE exotics this morning, and since I don't play Trials, that's it for the HoW gear I'll get. After I level it in a week or so, there's not any further progress I can make until TTK hits.

I'm okay with this. Taken King is looming and I'm still very much enjoying the HoW content, PoE and the Petra bounties in particular. I'm still playing because it's still fun as hell.

That or I'm addicted due to the nefarious ways Bungie has socially engineered me into their perpetual slots machine. One or the other.
no u are addicted. seek treatment

What, exactly, is handgrenades and horsehoes?
The proximity detonation perk. "Close doesn't count except in horseshoes and hand grenades."

Ganhyun

You want Grenades and Horseshoes, which causes the rocket to explode early when near an enemy so it's WAY more forgiving. You only need to aim in their general area.

You want high velocity to get the rocket to kill your opponent as quickly as possible.

Yep, to get that tracking, which can still miss, you have to zoom in until it locks. With G&H, you just hip fire in their area and use the spare time to dodge their rocket.

Edit: Im still waiting to hear what year one guardians get thats better than the 20 dollar emotes and such the new players and older players willing to pay for them get.

Velocity > Wolfpack Rounds

All of those except maybe Admonisher will have a higher velocity than the Horn.

If you're using G&H correctly, your opponent should be dead on impact leaving no need for wolfpack rounds.
------------

In other news, I went back to using the Hawkmoon this weekend and I really missed it. I'm trying to avoid going full scumbag using a Thorn.

2EDtqN1.gif

You're a BEAST Zewone!

Haybro

I would be interested in a flawless tonight for sure.

EDIT- Oh hey, my name change went through. Nice.

Gordon

Yeah. I can see why they want it to be a special thing for the weekends and that's cool, if it was run all week it'd probably be too easy by the end to get to Mercury with everyone who cares already done for the week.

But I do wish there were some sort of tryhard PvP mode for the rest of the week. I can only take so much bullet sponge PoE nonsense.
I wouldn't mind if Trials ran in a non-Trials playlist so I could get used to the maps and gametype with less pressure. I'm pretty scrubby so I could use a more relaxed arena to get experience in without getting tryharded to shit every other match.

Wolf pack rounds hit for like 5 damage in PvP. If the initial blast doesn't kill someone it's unlikely they will. GHorn does have really good velocity, but a max velocity Radegast hits like a Golden Gun, that you can hip fire, inaccurately and still get kills.
I actually prefer Gjally in pvp just because the wolfpack rounds finish off people that survive with a sliver/<1/2 health. Good for those stubborn ramlocks

Thanks for the rocket info, for me I am looking at the best for PVE

I'm generally happy with my Hunger of Crota until some dude stands beside me with a Gally and then proceeds to lay waste to everything

...then I sulk
Yeah nothing else is really on the Gjally level in PvE, although I did have a decent time with Dragon's Breath before my gjally dropped. If you're clever with your shot placement you can get very reasonable DPS out of those solar grenades. Also good for herding adds around/area denial.

Finally, the Trials hunter chestpiece roll I've been waiting for, INT/DSC

i4oZklI.png

Can't wait for ToO to start. I'll keep practicing with TLW in the meantime. #5winsorbust

nOoblet16

Yeah. I can see why they want it to be a special thing for the weekends and that's cool, if it was run all week it'd probably be too easy by the end to get to Mercury with everyone who cares already done for the week.

But I do wish there were some sort of tryhard PvP mode for the rest of the week. I can only take so much bullet sponge PoE nonsense.
What I do not understand is why is the Elimination mode a timed event?

What's even the purpose of its existence in its current state? The entire point of elimination mode was that people get to play elimination mode outside of Trials. If it's going to be a limited time event and from the looks of it, even more limited than Trials...then why the hell would anyone even play Elimination?

Bungie pls !!

noomi

i4oZklI.png

Can't wait for ToO to start. I'll keep practicing with TLW in the meantime. #5winsorbust

How do you see this? I'm looking at vendors on bungie.net and nothing from brosiris...

*edit*

There was a another tab up top that said reef... I'm an idiot

nOoblet16

Wolf pack rounds hit for like 5 damage in PvP. If the initial blast doesn't kill someone it's unlikely they will. GHorn does have really good velocity, but a max velocity Radegast hits like a Golden Gun, that you can hip fire, inaccurately and still get kills.
It's the only rocket launchee that will kill a bladedancer in one hit though...and it's so due to wolfpack rounds.

Axoman

How far did you get with Shiny and Koro last night?

You ditched us last night for another team! Haha, it's all good though, as it worked out for both of us.

We made it to Mercury. Of course, Koro did the heavy lifting, but Shiny and I had some good kills as well. I think the best round I had was when I was last guardian standing on our team and was able to pull off a double down to finish the other team.

Then, I followed that up with one of my scrubbiest moments when I was last guardian standing again and missed my nova bomb on the last enemy only to get killed. I panicked and should have just shot him, as he had very little health. I should have recorded it, would have been funny to watch.

matmanx1

Grenades & Horseshoes is ideal for PVP because it gives you proximity detonation, essentially allowing you to shoot a rocket near an enemy and still get kills even if it's not a direct hit. If you don't have G&H, you've pretty much got to hit them dead on in most cases to get a kill.

Ahh, yes, I know this perk. Truth has it, right?

See I remember exactly the opposite from early Destiny theorycraft which said that tracking with a high blast radius and low velocity was ideal. Lower velocities allow for greater rocket maneuvering, or so it was posited. All I know is I get near 100% kill counts when I have heavy ammo with Radegast's Fury or Admonisher III and both have high blast radius and tracking and neither have proximity detonation.

Then again, I prefer heavy machineguns unless there is a rocket specific bounty. Much easier to get high kill streaks with a good HMG unlike rockets which give you just enough to spoil a couple of people's day.

nOoblet16

i4oZklI.png

I have one with 170 intellect and special ammo boost, not just shotgun or sniper :p

And the ammo perks stack (unless they are for heavies...which don't stack)

Ganhyun

You ditched us last night for another team! Haha, it's all good though, as it worked out for both of us.

We made it to Mercury. Of course, Koro did the heavy lifting. I think the best round I had was when I was last guardian standing on our team and was able to pull off a double down to finish the other team.

Then, I followed that up with one of my scrubbiest moments when I was last guardian standing again and missed my nova bomb on the last enemy only to get killed. I panicked and should have just shot him, as he had very little health. I should have recorded it, would have been funny to watch.

Hey, we enjoyed our scrub train :p

Horseshoes makes it blow up when it gets in close vicinity to your target, so much better than tracking on a Legendary RL.

I was forced to reroll some of my legendary RL's due to tracking missing completely

Grenades and Horshoes for lengedaries is better IMO

I'm swimming in Radgergass Fury (the IB RL), so i have room to roll more RLs

nOoblet16

Ahh, yes, I know this perk. Truth has it, right?

See I remember exactly the opposite from early Destiny theorycraft which said that tracking with a high blast radius and low velocity was ideal. Lower velocities allow for greater rocket maneuvering, or so it was posited. All I know is I get near 100% kill counts when I have heavy ammo with Radegast's Fury or Admonisher III and both have high blast radius and tracking and neither have proximity detonation.

Then again, I prefer heavy machineguns unless there is a rocket specific bounty. Much easier to get high kill streaks with a good HMG unlike rockets which give you just enough to spoil a couple of people's day.
It's easy to avoid rocket launchers without proximity. You just jump when it's sort of near you and it won't be able to turn towards you.

Tracking in PvP is absolutely useless unless it's like the truth, i.e. fast and aggressive and with proximity (which makes truth the only launcher to have that in the game and as such is the best PvP launcher by default, Ghorn is as and because it has proximity and tracking too..though not as aggressive...but both are exotics so it's a bit different as many won't pick them or bother changing to them). The reason proximity is necessary is because there are too many corners otherwise for the tracking to go wrong. Proximity on the other hand will hit people around the corner, people you can't see...most importantly with grenade and horseshoe you do not aim and as such it doesn't slow you down. The only time you have to lead shots is when enemies are jumping.

You can also blink away from them when rockets only have tracking, proximity has a good chance at getting a blinker.

Ganhyun

I remember this too. I think the heavy meta is changed though as people started figuring out how to better avoid the tracking rockets.

E92 M3

We made it to Mercury. Of course, Koro did the heavy lifting. I think the best round I had was when I was last guardian standing on our team and was able to pull off a double down to finish the other team.

Glad to hear you went to the promised land. I played PVP like a toddler yesterday - it was abysmal lol.

noomi

Oh damn the titan chest piece from osiris is nice as well....shotgun and handcannon ammo with 160+ int

It's going to be a busy weekend, so I'll have to get it friday night/sat morning

ocean

Banned
Truth
The Fear
Admonisher III
Tomorrow's Answer
Radegast's Fury

All of those are better PVP rockets better than Gjallarhorn.
Admonisher is way too slow to qualify (great blast radius though). Fear and TA depending on the roll will either lack a little Blast Radius or some Velocity to really say they're "better" than Gjallarhorn in PvP. Ash Factory and R. Fury for sure tho.

Gjallarhorn has the nice bonus of being the only RL in the game which can reliably kill a Bladedancer due to Wolfpack Rounds. If you're going Exotic Truth will usually be a better option anyways, but Gjally is super solid.

nOoblet16

Admonisher is way too slow to qualify (great blast radius though). Fear and TA depending on the roll will either lack a little Blast Radius or some Velocity to really say they're "better" than Gjallarhorn in PvP. Ash Factory and R. Fury for sure tho.

Gjallarhorn has the nice bonus of being the only RL in the game which can reliably kill a Bladedancer due to Wolfpack Rounds. If you're going Exotic Truth will usually be a better option anyways, but Gjally is super solid.
I'd personally put Gjally as 2nd due to it being the only other launcher with tracking and proximity plus it can kill a bladedancer.

matmanx1

I remember this too. I think the heavy meta is changed though as people started figuring out how to better avoid the tracking rockets.

Yes, that's it exactly. Always interesting to see how the game changes over time (or rather, how players adapt over time).

you can kill a Bladedancer with I a patiently timed Matador/ Party Crasher/ Fallwinters Lie

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Yeah keep on rollin' those legendary rockets. Gunsmith went crazy and gave me this great Ash roll. Got an obscene amount of easy kills from it last IB.

mo883UA.png

Top Bottom