• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny - Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The visual and environmental storytelling in Destiny is excellent.

I'm just not seeing it. What story is being told by the environment? Why is Russia a desert wasteland? Why are there jungles and buildings on Venus? What is with the caves and temples on the moon? What's with the forts and railways on Mars? Those are just things that exist. Russia being a wasteland doesn't tell me how it became a wasteland or what happened to the people and structures. Please don't say because Darkness.

I mean the game says stuff, like the Hive built the moon stuff, and the Cabal the Mars stuff but never says anything more than that. The storytelling in the game is poor in all forms.

QaaQer

Looking at this thread as I was was quite interesting. I didn't buy the game because I had the feeling it wouldn't live up to the hype and that I could wait for the price to drop. Seeing some "lower" scoring reviews was not too unexpected for me, but then once a handful of lower scoring reviews came out people started acting like the game was some piece of shit and coming to this thread for confirmation bias that the game was shit.

Looking at the metacritic score, Game Informer is about 1 point above... not much, people all butthurt about it. I saw "respect to polygon" for it's review... a fucking site we trash every other day (with good reason). Let's not act like the below average review of polygon or gamespot is somehow the fucking norm when it is close to 2 points below the average. I didn't buy the game after hearing about the lack of locations, nor do I give a shit how well Destiny reviews but it just reeks of people being disappointed compared to what they expected, rather than the game itself being mediocre as some people act. Many people are just coming here to shit on the game and discuss the negatives of the game and the underwhelming review scores, god forbid we should get a more positive review from another big outlet; what the fuck do you guys want when a game reviews 1 point above average? Every review to match your disappointment? Get real.

You have your confirmation bias already. Do you still need help with you negative opinion? It's sad.

Just enjoy it. People seem more disappointed than anything, not that it's a bad game.

The game didn't live up to the hype, it was disappointing; Bungie disappointed, but it is not a bad game and there is no need to over react to a good review.

It helps if you quote who you are addressing.

I'm so far removed from the general review consensus, it's a little unsettling. This game is bliss in a box for me. I usually don't care about reviews, disappointing or not, but this overwhelming disappointment is starting to eat away at me. Why am I enjoying this so much when most people don't seem to like it at all? What's wrong with me?

Well for one, nothing's wrong with you for enjoying the game. I, and many others, wish we could as much as we had hoped. I mean I bought a PS4 for Destiny!

The core mechanics are great. There is a great game here. But reviewers and the community is really noticing the poor campaign coupled with redundant mission types. I think farming for gear is the most recent peeve and rightfully so. Content is being locked in a game where the content is already thin.

Bungie is revered developer... and for them to put out this game is a bit disappointing. It just seems so half baked. Gamers shouldn't have to settle for "WAIT FOR THE LEVEL CAP!" or "THE EXPANSIONS WILL ADD MORE CONTENT"

Which is precisely what the game nails above all else and seems to get completely glossed over by critics.

No need to collectively chide "critics". A lot of people have similar sentiments to mine and even in the good reviews, they mention the negatives.

The "core gameplay" isn't enough for some people. That's not a bad thing. To me, the core gameplay is solid but that doesn't excuse the lack of content or puzzling design choices in the rest of the game.

Z3M0G

It sounds like the Raid has so many great mechanics in play... platforming challenges, stealth, etc... why couldn't they include this in ANY other content in the game?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
It sounds like the Raid has so many great mechanics in play... platforming challenges, stealth, etc... why couldn't they include this in ANY other content in the game?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nocturno999

It's ok for me if raids are very challenging and only a select few can finish them but you need to have content for the people that play more casually.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I'm so far removed from the general review consensus, it's a little unsettling. This game is bliss in a box for me. I usually don't care about reviews, disappointing or not, but this overwhelming disappointment is starting to eat away at me. Why am I enjoying this so much when most people don't seem to like it at all? What's wrong with me?

I'm with you. Biggest disconnect I've ever had between my experience with a game and reviews. Making fun of Destiny is basically a meme now. I attribute a lot of this to a few initial shaky reviews and the internet's tendency to love piling it on. Hate bandwagons are very real, especially in gaming spheres.

Derpcrawler

Did this guy change his schtick? He seems different.

Yeah, I was actually not annoyed watching that video. Last time I watched his video when someone linked me it, was Batmand: AA I believe, and I he was annoying as fuck, I think he is being annoying on purpose.

Also I agree almost with each point he makes in this video. I wish I could get a refund of 89.99 from Microsoft and get Forza Horizon 2 Deluxe instead...

Seiru

Banned
I'm with you. Biggest disconnect I've ever had between my experience with a game and reviews. Making fun of Destiny is basically a meme now. I attribute a lot of this to a few initial shaky reviews and the internet's tendency to love piling it on. Hate bandwagons are very real, especially in gaming spheres.

Yeah, it's impossible that people actually dislike the game, you're right.

Massa

Yeah, those hundred enemies are like the ones you've been fighting the entire time in the dungeon , and qualify as "shooting adds".

Groundbreaking.

I think you need to step away from the keyboard and actually read my posts. And if you do come back to the keyboard to reply at me, drop your fucking condescension.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Pretty much the same for me. I love the game. I agree with complaints about the story and some other stuff like load times, unskippable cut scenes (in a game you replay missions a lot) etc., but still have a blast with the game. But I love loot games, leveling up skills etc. And co-op shooter gameplay is my favorite, so it's right up my alley.

sono

The past generation had severe review inflation. Many games getting high 80's and 90+ did not deserve them. Destiny being in the 70-low 80 range is completely appropriate from a more reasonable perspective that does not treat 60 as awful and 90 as "good"
I missed the memo that the entire basis for reviews changed recently sorry.

Synth

Early reviews giving this 6 or 7 I think the reviewers have some psychological problem. What games do they play that they give a 9 to I want to play those myself so I know what page they think they are on.

Probably Halo and Phantasy Star Online tbh.

BONDO

Im in the same boat....except i don't care what reviews are saying.
FFXI and Socom were reviewed similarly and i ended up playing those to death...im getting a similar vibe here.
Loving this game from head to toe. It has some issues but with the way console gaming is now with updates and such...i expect improvements. Titanfall is a great example....almost two different products since launch.

Timmay

Banned
Is this the first review to include the raid content? Didn't seem to help much for their overall game evaluation.

The raid content just shines a light on how bad the strikes are in comparison. The raids include mechanics that go beyond the boring trash-defend-trash-bulletsponge flow that makes up every single strike. The fact that they've locked away the interesting game mechanics behind a mode that they offer no matchmaking for deserves to net them lower scores.

JB1981

The raid content just shines a light on how bad the strikes are in comparison. The raids include mechanics that go beyond the boring trash-defend-trash-bulletsponge flow that makes up every single strike. The fact that they've locked away the interesting game mechanics behind a mode that they offer no matchmaking for deserves to net them lower scores.

Like what specifically.

Bold One

not good considering the biblical flood of pre-release marketing and hype

Destiny back of the box quote: "Its not good...but its not bad, either" - NeoGAF

that depends on whether you think publishers shouldn't market or Hype their games

and last I looked, 77 was still in the 'Good' category - wrecked reviewing curves be damned

flkraven

that depends on whether you think publishers shouldn't market or Hype their games

and last I looked, 77 was still in the 'Good' category - wrecked reviewing curves be damned

Vague marketing and insane hype that fails to deliver deserves every ounce of criticism it receives.

Also, last I checked 77 was a C, and I rarely heard people at school claim that a C was 'Good'. Remain idealistic all you want, but that 'wreck reviewing curve' is the reality of how games are graded at most institutions.

With the marketing, hype, and money thrown at this game, there is no scenario where this game gets a 0-4 / 10, even if it's deserved. So we are given no choice but to curve the reviewer's scores.

RMI

Banned
I've been enjoying this game, but one major problem I'm seeing that I feel will affect my ability to enjoy the raids/strikes is that all of the classes basically do the same thing. There's no point in having a team when everybody on the team does the exact same thing. Where are the medic skills, buffs, debuffs, crowd control abilities? You know, stuff that makes an MMO work and creates strategic depth to solving encounters?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Vague marketing and insane hype that fails to deliver deserves every ounce of criticism it receives.

Also, last I checked 77 was a C, and I rarely heard people at school claim that a C was 'Good'. Remain idealistic all you want, but that 'wreck reviewing curve' is the reality of how games are graded at most institutions.

With the marketing, hype, and money thrown at this game, there is no scenario where this game gets a 0-4 / 10, even if it's deserved. So we are given no choice but to curve the reviewer's scores.

77 is not a C according to the rating system used by most sites. 5 would be average, or the traditional school definition of a C.

rac

Banned
Gotta give it to bungie though the raid does have an interesting boss fight. I mean its still a bullet sponge but at least it does something other than shoot.

Bold One

Thats quite the ass-pull as it is inconceivable that anyone could possibly enjoy the game, right?

These are just opinions after all

and a 77 is not a C

Gotta give it to bungie though the raid does have an interesting boss fight. I mean its still a bullet sponge but at least it does something other than shoot.

I've been listening for hours while I work and I'm not sure if the guys are actually making progress or if they just don't know how to kill the guy. Is that the case? Is it just a battle of attrition with the guys chipping away at the boss' health?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom