• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny's Raid, 'Vault of Glass' is now available to play. Hardest challenge yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember guys, you aren't truly experiencing the raid until after 20 hours in.

That's when purple engrams begin raining from the sky, and some of them are bombs! :D

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Entrecôte;130231868 said:
Well that is exactly what happened on last strike mission I was on with the tank and bazooka boss, all level 20 warlocks. Maybe your group was a bit more aggressive or skilled.
You mean, my 5 random groups... I did 5 level 20 strikes yesterday evening and it never took us longer than 30 minutes to complete the whole thing. What noobs were you playing with?

Svafnir

It's funny watching people try and open the door to the raid for the last 20 minutes. If they are failing at this, it must be pretty difficult.

This.

I'm not excusing the lack of in game functions to form a party with strangers, but there are so many methods outside of the game to gather folks. People have made websites that allow you to list yourself as looking for group, the bungie.net forums, here on GAF, reddit, etc. The internet is brimming with people willing to play this game with you.

Sounds like a form of out of game match making with mostly complete strangers on the Internet. If only they could replicate that functionality in game.

Steel

Banned
Matchmaking doesn't fix this though. You aren't going to get the same group of randoms to continue your raid. They backed themselves into an odd corner with this one. I agree and disagree with what they are doing. I enjoy the game a lot but in game community features are severely needed and they absolutely need to be on the top of a list on a whiteboard somewhere at Bungie.

They could just split it into chapters like a halo campaign and work from there. But that would require them to use mechanics from their own games instead of aping WoW.

malfcn

The first challenge to raiding: find friends.
Surely it would be too easy if you could match make.

Maybe it is a limitation due to the length and saving attributed to the leader.

Siegmeyer

Watching the link in the OP - I'm assuming they haven't sussed out how to open the big door yet?

At the moment it's just facing wave after wave whilst being forced to stay within a small circle. There must be more to it than this, it's not a very impressive first ten minutes.

Sai-kun

Banned
This looks awful. Sync plates are a neat concept but the teleporting Praetorians keep fucking it up and that's not their fault at all. I'd be annoyed.

PepperedHam

Sounds like a form of out of game match making with mostly complete strangers on the Internet. If only they could replicate that functionality in game.

Hey man I never said it was the right way to go about things. I was just saying there are means to bandage the wound right now and not having 6 actual friends to play this with isn't an actual excuse to not try and play this.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Just out of curiosity... How are the raids handled in WoW? The way I heard many cannot be completed in one sitting. Can they still be done with total strangers via matchmaking?

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm almost level 26, but I will have to wait a while until my 6man party is ready for it.

Just out of curiosity... How are the raids handled in WoW? The way I heard many cannot be completed in one sitting. Can they still be done with total strangers via matchmaking?

Originally they did not have online matchmaking, but few years later they implemented it.

Watching the link in the OP - I'm assuming they haven't sussed out how to open the big door yet?

At the moment it's just facing wave after wave whilst being forced to stay within a small circle. There must be more to it than this, it's not a very impressive first ten minutes.

Yea, this does not look enjoyable. Now instead of shooting an enemy for 20 minutes, you're standing in a circle for 20 minutes.

Chris1

Matchmaking doesn't fix this though. You aren't going to get the same group of randoms to continue your raid. They backed themselves into an odd corner with this one. I agree and disagree with what they are doing. I enjoy the game a lot but in game community features are severely needed and they absolutely need to be on the top of a list on a whiteboard somewhere at Bungie.
Matchmaking could fix it but that would depend on how the progress saving works. If there was checkpoints every so far along then the system could match you with randoms when you start the raid rather than needing the same team at your current (or a previous if selected) checkpoint. Wouldn't be perfect but would be much better than now.

This.

I'm not excusing the lack of in game functions to form a party with strangers, but there are so many methods outside of the game to gather folks. People have made websites that allow you to list yourself as looking for group, the bungie.net forums, here on GAF, reddit, etc. The internet is brimming with people willing to play this game with you.

For a game that's relentlessly touted its social features its mind boggling that there is no way in game to get a party of 6 together for the raids, you should never have to leave the game to organise a raid within a clan. Why not just have an in clan raid availability toggle?

I'm watching another stream and they seem to think that it has something to do with standing on those plates long enough to get the tower near the beginning of the map to form completely.

meanspartan

oh great I'm locked out of it since my friends don't play destiny.

Hey Kudos for that Bungie.

I get this, but honestly, of it really is as hard as they say you wont want to play with randoms trust me.

Maybe they should make an easier version for randoms, similar to wow's raid finder.

Currently you can group up with your server Bros and run them traditionally with lockouts and everything. Or you can use Raid Finder to join a random matching version where your progress is tied to which bosses you've killed; ie you won't get anything from a boss you've killed previously that week but you can still run the raid from start to finish. Also, the loot from Raid Finder versions is slightly worse than the traditional runs (but only slightly)

Steel

Banned
How long would it take a lvl 15 player who has about an hour aday to get to lvl 26?

Depends. Are you feeling lucky? I mean, I had a friend get to level 23 within a couple hours of reaching twenty just because he got lucky and got a purple. But with only an hour a day, it could take you over a month.

PepperedHam

Matchmaking could fix it but that would depend on how the progress saving works. If there was checkpoints every so far along then the system could match you with randoms when you start the raid rather than needing the same team at your current (or a previous if selected) checkpoint. Wouldn't be perfect but would be much better than now.

Not a bad idea. I hope they can sort something out for the people who desire it. I really enjoy this game but some odd design decisions by Bungie are keeping me from recommending it to friends and family.

Atram

Destiny is like WoW 10 Years ago....

WoW now is, you have different difficult settings, the option to Raid with Randoms, the Raids are split by Wings (which can be solved easy in one session).

I don´t understand that Bungie makes a Game for Activision with MMO basics and do not consult Blizzard for Pro Tips to make this mechanics Fun.

Destiny took the worst parts from WoW 10 fucking Years ago.

I don't think it's that it's getting 6 people to begin with that's worrisome (well it is, but IMO it's not the main problem), but the fact that you're going to need those exact same 6 people to continue your raid. Bungie said it's unlikely that you will finish it in one sitting, it's going to be pretty hard for lots of people to get the same 6 people on for several hours at the same time able to play every day for a week.

One person can't make it or can't play for x hours each day guaranteed? Oh well, you can't continue your raid try again tomorrow when everyone is available.

Bungie basically copy&paste MMO raid structure into this game. What you described is exactly what people do in MMO. You need to form a static group and your group needs to come up with schedule when everybody is available. Probably 2-3 days a week and 1-2 hours session each day. Many people quite MMO because of this. Raid is not for everyone and it can get in a way of your real life.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Destiny is like WoW 10 Years ago....

WoW now is, you have different difficult settings, the option to Raid with Randoms, the Raids are split by Wings (which can be solved easy in one session).

I don´t understand that Bungie makes a Game for Activision with MMO basics and do not consult Blizzard for Pro Tips to make this mechanics Fun.

Destiny took the worst parts from WoW 10 fucking Years ago.
Well, aren't people always being nostalgic about the beginning days of WoW and how good it was? ;-)

This looks fun, at the rate I'm going it will prolly be a month before I can do this.

oh great I'm locked out of it since my friends don't play destiny.

Hey Kudos for that Bungie.

I know, its like it is impossible to add people to your friends list or something.

It isn't just the AI, looks like new mechanics in general.

Zephyrus

Banned
I get this, but honestly, of it really is as hard as they say you wont want to play with randoms trust me.

Maybe they should make an easier version for randoms, similar to wow's raid finder.

can't be that hard with how stupid the AI is.

Certainly a lot better than being locked out of it.

Sai-kun

Banned
Okay, this actually looks pretty engaging. You defend the confluxes (the big machine they first saw) and stop Vex from sacrificing themselves and avoid getting the Negation Ritual debuff, while running to the cleansing circle if they do get tagged with it.

Could be fun.

Where were these buff and debuff mechanics in the Strikes, Bungie?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
You can continue playing it in another sitting, there are "save points" during play [before each dark zone].
So there are matchmaking save point in the raids? And you can still find people to play with? IMO it should be extremely difficult to find enough people that stopped playing at the exact same spot like you did.

Chris1

Bungie basically copy&paste MMO raid structure into this game. What you described is exactly what people do in MMO. You need to form a static group and your group needs to come up with schedule when everybody is available. Probably 2-3 days a week and 1-2 hours session each day. Many people quite MMO because of this. Raid is not for everyone and it can get in a way of your real life.
Correct me if I'm wrong but other MMO's save your progress forever don't they so you're not rushed to finish it in x amount of time? with destiny you have a week to complete your raid, if you don't complete it in a week your progress gets deleted.

But you don't have to do it that way. That's like from 10 years ago. You can tie your personal progress to your character such that it doesn't matter who you run the raid with, you'll only get look / credit for bosses you haven't killed that week. It wouldn't be that hard to implement it'd just be a flag that is toggled on your account.

So how do you continue the raid if you don't complete it in one sitting via matchmaking?

Then you look for another group. Say you've defeated two out of four bosses and quit, the next time you do the raid (during the same week) you can only get loot from the last two bosses. It doesn't care about your progress per se, but what you've killed/looted.

The raids with matchmaking (LFR) are also divided into smaller parts than the same raids without matchmaking, for example four sets of three bosses instead of twelve bosses, to make it more probable that you'd clear an entire section in one go.

Sai-kun

Banned
So there are matchmaking save point in the raids? And you can still find people to play with? IMO it should be extremely difficult to find enough people that stopped playing at the exact same spot like you did.

Ideally you're putting together the same group of people all week. I imagine if someone drops out you can have someone else join you as long as they haven't progressed further in the raid that week. If they haven't played at all, it probably just saves them to the progress the leader has made.

Correct me if I'm wrong but other MMO's save your progress forever don't they so you're not rushed to finish it in x amount of time? with destiny you have a week to complete your raid, if you don't complete it in a week your progress gets deleted.

Raid reset days are pretty standard as far as I know.

Svafnir

WoW has been a weekly lockout timer for their raids since day one. It's Tuesday in WoW. So this is the exact same ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom