• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny's Raid, 'Vault of Glass' is now available to play. Hardest challenge yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's odd. For a game that doesn't (directly) require a monthly subscription it's just as much (more?) of a grind as subscription based games.
Anyway, as much as I like the game I'm tired of random loot drops/rewards in Strikes/Crucibles. Show me what I'm getting first so I'm not wasting my time (which I value more than money to be honest). Better still allow me to make my own weapons from items won in Strikes etc. But that ain't happening any time yet.

Atram

Well, aren't people always being nostalgic about the beginning days of WoW and how good it was? ;-)

I used to play WoW since the first Beta and coming Back with every Expamsion for 2 Months.

If you think that its Fun farming fire Equip for Weeks/Months, taking Weeks to resolve a Raid, buffing 40 People with Mindcontrol witcher in UBRS with a Firebuff for 30 min, waiting till all 40 Raidmembers arrive, than yes is hell of Fun :p

No the more casual approach in the WoW Raids with Options for HC Raid Guilds is the best that could happen.

What Destiny is doing is 3 Steps backwards in MMO´s Raid style.

Just out of curiosity... How are the raids handled in WoW? The way I heard many cannot be completed in one sitting. Can they still be done with total strangers via matchmaking?

Progression is saved and reset weekly last time I played. Basically you can pick up where you left off if you're running with guilds except for trash. Yea theres also a raid finder.

Winter John

Depends. Are you feeling lucky? I mean, I had a friend get to level 23 within a couple hours of reaching twenty just because he got lucky and got a purple. But with only an hour a day, it could take you over a month.

I had a bad feeling it was probably going to be something like that. Unless they change the matchmaking I doubt I'll ever do one. By the time I get to lvl 26, everyone will have moved on. Oh Well.

Spinluck

I have plenty of friends to play this with and understand the frustration if someone doesn't.

But what the fuck at complaining about not having 5 friends to play it with on a gaming forum of all places? Lol. Share your PSN/XBL ID and party up with Gaffers, problem averted.

Chances of me getting 6 friends together is very low. Fuck this.

shit load of people are going to be bombarding bungie today, trust me on this. excluding a large base that can't manage to get 6 players together randomly on the net yup lol (not me im in the gaf clan just saying i feel terrible for those people)

zychi

Banned
I really want to like Destiny, I do. But some of the designs are stupid.

Online PVP? I get crushed because I don't have the crazy good gun, or the insane armor that prevents me from dying.

No Matchmaking outside of Skirmishes. Why?

Omni

Maybe like 3 at the least, for the sync plates to open the vault. But I don't know why you'd wanna.

Well it's not like the game was particularly hard to begin with beyond level penalties. I don't see why this Raid is supposedly so difficult compared to everything else

Zephyrus

Banned
This looks fun, at the rate I'm going it will prolly be a month before I can do this.

I know, its like it is impossible to add people to your friends list or something.

It isn't just the AI, looks like new mechanics in general.

bu then, you know... I'd be playing with randoms

something something about matchmaking

Big boss with waves of adds? I'm beginning to see a pattern.

Yep, people are complaining without actually paying attention.

The issue so far isn't the adds it is the poo on the floor and getting it cleansed.

bu then, you know... I'd be playing with randoms

something something about matchmaking

And then people would be here and complaining to Bungie that it is too hard for random matchmaking.

Chris1

WoW has been a weekly lockout timer for their raids since day one. So this is the exact same ;p
Oh I see, never played wow so wasn't sure on that. Thanks.

Makes sense why they done it this way then, I still think some sort of checkpoint/matchmaking system would work out fairly decent though and at least give people who can't get a full team a chance to play.

This should have match making.

It should be split into approximately 1 hour chunks.

Completing one chunk should unlock the next one so you can play later with a different group of people.

For a game I am really enjoying, the biggest issue with it is a lack of content and the most exciting bit of content they have put out they have locked behind arbitrary blockades for anyone apart from people with nothing else to do.

If the game had 3 x the content for "normals" then exclusive stuff like this is fine, but at the moment... It's kind of inexcusable.

Svafnir

It seems pretty difficult so far I can see why there is no matchmaking for raids. All the pick up groups would just fail.

WoW has match making for their raids, but its a way way way easier version of that particular raid. Then once you are good at the match making you can form a good with a bunch of other people for the harder version of the raid.

I would be fine if they just copied that.

Mafro

I'd be at the required level for this already if Bungie didn't decide to completely change the levelling mechanic after lvl20 from gaining XP to randomly finding gear with a new stat (introduced out of nowhere) that may or may not be enough to increase you to the next level.

Buzzman

Banned
It seems pretty difficult so far I can see why there is no matchmaking for raids. All the pick up groups would just fail.

WoW has match making for their raids, but its a way way way easier version of that particular raid. Then once you are good at the match making you can form a good with a bunch of other people for the harder version of the raid.

I would be fine if they just copied that.

How is a mechanic of "kill adds before they reach pillar" hard exactly?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's obvious from watching streams that matchmaking wouldn't cut it. Bungie is trying to make an MMO-lite for console gamers and the audience still doesn't seem to be grasping on to the basic concepts.

Um, are you watching the stream?

Cause there is a poison mechanic (that will kill you) if it is not cleansed.

It's obvious from watching streams that matchmaking wouldn't cut it. Bungie is trying to make an MMO-lite for console gamers and the audience still doesn't seem to be grasping on to the basic concepts.

Can I get an LFR version then moan about how it isn't dropping the same gear and I should be able to get the same gear?

baconcow

I really want to like Destiny, I do. But some of the designs are stupid.

Online PVP? I get crushed because I don't have the crazy good gun, or the insane armor that prevents me from dying.

No Matchmaking outside of Skirmishes. Why?

Gun damage ans gear defense do not matter in PVP (except Iron Banner, which has not started yet). You get crushed because other players kill you first. No armor keeps you alive faster. All that change are your subclass skills. Even then, I do not know how skills that raise armor, recovery, or agility work. Either way, as long as you are like around level 12, you would have those. What's wrong with this fairly balancing design? I went into PVP at level 5 and held my own against players 20+. Their insane armor dies to my gun just like a level 1 player.

Zephyrus

Banned
Yep, people are complaining without actually paying attention.

The issue so far isn't the adds it is the poo on the floor and getting it cleansed.

And then people would be here and complaining to Bungie that it is too hard for random matchmaking.

no, mate. You said that in order for me to bypass the requirement of playing with 5 friends I should go ahead and add 5 people.

Now, and excuse me if I'm being impolite, why the fuck would I have to do that? I'd have to go to the trouble of finding 5 people of lvl 26 or higher, requesting them to join my fireteam and hope they accept it when I could have all that trouble go away with a damn MATCHMAKING?

Kosma

Banned
Raid looks pretty hard so far, def not something that you could do with randoms and no mics...

But hey if Bungie allowed us to chat to people you could def do it.

zychi

Banned
Gun damage ans gear defense do not matter in PVP (except Iron Banner, which has not started yet). You get crushed because other players kill you first. No armor keeps you alive faster. All that change are your subclass skills. Even then, I do not know how skills that raise armor, recovery, or agility work. Either way, as long as you are like around level 12, you would have those. What's wrong with this fairly balancing design? I went into PVP at level 5 and held my own against players 20+. Their insane armor dies to my gun just like a level 1 player.

One shot instant deaths.

Svafnir

It is not a hard to grasp mechanic. But having played mmos for a long time, you meet a surprising amount of dumb people online. Even these streamers are having a tough time with a simple protect tower and don't go in poison concept. Plus I am sure there is some heavy gear checks going on also.

Buzzman

Banned
Um, are you watching the stream?

Cause there is a poison mechanic (that will kill you) if it is not cleansed.

I'm a scrub LFR raider, I still don't think "avoid poison" and "kill adds" is supposed to be difficult. Pretty sure there are heroics that have more advanced mechanics than that.

It is not a hard to grasp mechanic. But having played mmos for a long time, you meet a surprising amount of dumb people online. Even these streamers are having a tough time with a simple protect tower and don't go in poison concept.

Lol yah, its happening again and again. Oh I'm marked, I'm dead. Shits funny.

I'm a scrub LFR raider, I still don't think "avoid poison" and "kill adds" is supposed to be difficult. Pretty sure there are heroics that have more advanced mechanics than that.

You might not, and it really isn't that difficult...but as the person above said, you would be extremely surprised. Notice how many people in strikes get killed by the spider walker when it completely telegraphs its red beam of death?

nubbe

It is not a hard to grasp mechanic. But having played mmos for a long time, you meet a surprising amount of dumb people online. Even these streamers are having a tough time with a simple protect tower and don't go in poison concept.

Can't even get people to kill trash and snipers on a strike

this would be impossible with a PUG

TheYanger

This looks...surprisingly uninteresting so far. Kill waves of adds for 10 minutes straight, run into the light if you get marked by the boss, and then some glowing lights needed to be killed (with tons of adds) and snipers. Just waiting for anything that isn't waves of adds forever.

no, mate. You said that in order for me to bypass the requirement of playing with 5 friends I should go ahead and add 5 people.

Now, and excuse me if I'm being impolite, why the fuck would I have to do that? I'd have to go to the trouble of finding 5 people of lvl 26 or higher, requesting them to join my fireteam and hope they accept it when I could have all that trouble go away with a damn MATCHMAKING?

just thinking about all the assortments of things you have to do to get team together in general isn't fun, it's work...I kind of wish the bad stigma of randoms being bad would go away there is occassions you get some bad players but with my destiny experience it's been really good playing with randoms out of no where people are really helpful and understand quick - especially at high levels and replaying/looping missions you'd think its drilled in our heads how to play the game.

baconcow

They don't allow matchmaking because then you might get a terrible teammate. My friend and I did a strike and all the third matchmade Guy did was stand in a corner or out in the open and die. He never tried to revive us. He was a pure annoyance and we spent most of our time reviving him. In the end, we were essentially a 2 person team. He didn't share our strategies or communication and it was very frustrating. This is why they encourage/force you to get a team so that you are well-coordinated and will hopefully follow a strategy, or else die from nit doing so. If you choose the team and they don't follow along, then choose better the next time. With matchmaking, you will not have that capability ever.

Yes but an MMO takes 100's of hours to reach the end game content normally, not 10's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom