• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detective Pikachu game revealed

Who should voice Pikachu for the English release?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Burt

I've missed out on this thread the last few days, so my first question is: what's the reaction to this been?

Tell me it's been good. Because that trailer was amazing.

Why isn't James Earl Jones on the list?

Michael-Jordan-laughing.gif

I want both to happen

PtM

Banned
Pikachu being able to talk, but not being able to attack is something that's actually consistent with Meowth in the anime. He can't fight much anymore because he's using that space in his brain for human speech.

It's just something Pokemon give up to learn human speech I guess. Other than telepathy or legendary Pokemon.
Why does it have to make sense? ;(

Neoxon

Unless Sakurai is involved (see Kid Icarus Uprising), Nintendo doesn't really bother with unionized voice actors (Steve Blum, Troy Baker, Nolan North, etc.). And even then, most of the unionized VAs for the Kid Icarus characters that were in Smash 4 got recast. Granted, this is The Pokémon Company, but Nintendo Treehouse is likely gonna do the localization.

ash_ag

Unless Sakurai is involved (see Kid Icarus Uprising), Nintendo doesn't really bother with unionized voice actors (Steve Blum, Troy Baker, Nolan North, etc.). And even then, most of the unionized VAs for the Kid Icarus characters that were in Smash 4 got recast. Granted, this is The Pokémon Company, but Nintendo Treehouse is likely gonna do the localization.

It's hard to talk about likelihood with this one. In Pikachu's case, there's a lot of motion capture and lip-sync involved. Can't say for sure at the moment, but they may have to do some recaptures for other languages, meaning they won't be able to get away with a quick-'n-dirty redub by the Treehouse.

Busaiku

Meowth's actually not all that weak, he's just technically a wild Pokémon, so he can't live up to Pokémon with trainers.

Richie

"Detective Pikachu is quite weak around pretty women

He can talk like a human being, but he’s actually quite slow, and cannot use any moves like a regular Pikachu"

Well of course he's gonna be weak around pretty women if he
*puts on sunglasses*
can't use any moves

Meowth's actually not all that weak, he's just technically a wild Pokémon, so he can't live up to Pokémon with trainers.

I thought Meowth's backstory was that because he learned to talk he lost the ability to get any stronger moves, and couldn't even learn payday?

Ysarus

They'd have to redo all the motion capture for the English, French, German etc. as this is more than just your standard anime lip movement. I imagine that's why no worldwide launch

It's hard to talk about likelihood with this one. In Pikachu's case, there's a lot of motion capture and lip-sync involved. Can't say for sure at the moment, but they may have to do some recaptures for other languages, meaning they won't be able to get away with a quick-'n-dirty redub by the Treehouse.

I think it's really unlikely that they'd redo the motion capture for other languages. I mean, quite a few countries have entire industries built around dubbing live actors, so a Pikachu should be fine, even a very realistically animated one.

KraytarJ

Tbh Charles Matinet could voice Pikachu using the Mario (or preferably the Waluigi) voice and I think it'd be thematically consistent.

Top Bottom