• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided I Review Thread I I asked for this

Parsnip

Which is fine, assuming it's the result of ultra settings pushig the graphics envelope, and not ultra settings that need more optimization.
Yup.
ibn Saïd;214239480 said:
correct, seems like 4x msaa and soft shadows are the offenders. they reportedly tank fps. as long as the other presets are decently optimized, i dont mind.
Yup.

Not sure if posted already, from Deus Ex twitter, reviews round up - https://twitter.com/DeusEx/status/766666261740843008
CqO-13yXYAAqllP.jpg
Some reviews are not listed in OP

Regginator

From what I understand the second "hub" you mentioned is located inside the first, right? I've heard mixed things, but I'm unsure if it's big enough to be considered a second hub or not.

Oh, that could be. But from the footage I've seen I'd say they look quite distinctively and aesthetically different from each other, and as a result I think we could consider them as separate hubs.

But I don't know if G
olem City
is actually inside Pr
ague

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/...a-big-budget-super-huge-sequel-that-delivers/

PC MASTER RACE

Most of my review time was spent playing the PS4 game, which looks... fine. Character models look like they would have been best-in-class on the last generation of consoles, but facial animation issues make them look funny at times. A quick turn of the camera can turn a great-looking scene, with a lot of architectural variety and bold use of color, into an ugly one with dull textures, repetitive structures, and waves and waves of gray.

On a high-end PC, however, it was another story. Cranked to nearly maximum settings, DX:HR enjoyed a silky smooth, nearly 60 frame-per-second refresh with incredible lighting and particle effects, improved facial animations and lip syncing, and much crisper textures. The interface has been built to play wonderfully with mouse-and-keyboard, as well. A nice chunk of the PC version's UI is dedicated to number-button shortcuts (though one d-pad cross interface, which maps to the PC's function keys, doesn't get the same PC-specific treatment). The PC-conversion team at Nixxes has done it again, and while we know better than to announce a game's PC version as a clear winner out of the gate, our experience with the PC build has us leaning towards calling it the definitive version.

KorrZ

9.2 from IGN is pretty promising. 4 stars from Jeff Gerstmann is also a good sign.

I'm feeling pretty good about the game right now.

Tovarisc

On a high-end PC, however, it was another story. Cranked to nearly maximum settings, DX:HR enjoyed a silky smooth, nearly 60 frame-per-second refresh with incredible lighting and particle effects, improved facial animations and lip syncing, and much crisper textures. The interface has been built to play wonderfully with mouse-and-keyboard, as well. A nice chunk of the PC version's UI is dedicated to number-button shortcuts (though one d-pad cross interface, which maps to the PC's function keys, doesn't get the same PC-specific treatment). The PC-conversion team at Nixxes has done it again, and while we know better than to announce a game's PC version as a clear winner out of the gate, our experience with the PC build has us leaning towards calling it the definitive version.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/...a-big-budget-super-huge-sequel-that-delivers/

No mention of sys specs for review PC as far I can see.

Edit: Deaugment me

Crumpo

It doesn't seem like the summaries in the OP tally with the scores they were given, for quite a few of them.

Will read through the reviews in more detail after work and see if it's just the snippets not matching the tone of the overall review.

JerkShep

I'm happy to hear that the gameplay is solid and I'm actually happy if it's a bit shorter than the last game...

...but I'm super bummed about the story (still?) Being disappointing AND the the final part being rushed. Talk about hype being deflated. The last third of Human Revolution felt really disjointed and the very last section was all sorts of terrible. I don't want a repeat of that. It was the major part they had to fix and they apparently did the same mistake twice.

I think I'm waiting for more impressions and buying the game after the first price drop

A-V-B

I'm happy to hear that the gameplay is solid and I'm actually happy if it's a bit shorter than the last game...

...but I'm super bummed about the story (still?) Being disappointing AND the the final part being rushed. Talk about hype being deflated. The last third of Human Revolution felt really disjointed and the very last section was all sorts of terrible. I don't want a repeat of that. It was the major part they had to fix and they apparently did the same mistake twice.

I think I'm waiting for more impressions and buying the game after the first price drop

Yeah, I'm feeling more excited about Dishonored 2 now.

I also think that several games over the past 5 years have raised the bar in the story and writing department. Mankind Divided apparently has not kept up (similar to Fallout 4), hence lower scores than Human Revolution. Standards are higher today.

I asked this earlier but didn't get an answer- what games in the last 5 years have notably raised the standards? In the AAA space the only things I can think of are TLoU and The Witcher 3. And in the latter's case it's more about quantity since I would argue that TW2 was just as well written and that predated HR by a few months.

I ask this because IMO the quality of game stories hasn't really improved at all, at least in the AAA space. In the smaller space (Gone Home, Firewatch) then I can see the argument but that's kind of a separate thing. I think this decade has probably been kind of lackluster story-wise from the majors.

Regginator

Near 60fps? Port appears to not be well optimized and particularly geared toward AMD if you look at the published benchmark (not there is anything wrong with targetting AMD but considering market share...).

He was talking about Human Revolution. That specific reviewer played Mankind Divided on a PS4.

Most of my review time was spent playing the PS4 game

Why he talked about DXHR performance in a DXMD review is beyond me... But other than that he's very positive.

Social

They aren't selling the season passes for nothing, there will probably be loads more content coming that wraps up the story in a better way.

FaintDeftone

I'm hoping Digital Foundry releases a tech test video on this game's PC version soon so we can get a good idea of how the game runs.

AHA-Lambda

This is what turned up on my steam profile under the DLC for the game after redeeming the season pass

Assault Gear
Augmented Covert Agent Consumables
Classic Gear
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - Season Pass
DLC02
Enforcer Gear
Extras Content (Soundtrack and Artbook)
Intruder Gear
Jensen Story: Desperate Measures
Jensen Story: System Rift
Tactical Gear

JerkShep

Yeah, I'm feeling more excited about Dishonored 2 now.

Definitely. What they have shown so far looks promising and the DLCs for the first game were fantastic and already improving on the main game. I liked Human Revolution despite its flaws and I'm sure I'll enjoy Mankind Divided as well but hearing about this issues took the winds out of my sails a bit

At work right now so I can't go check the specific reviews. But some of the quotes in the OP mentioned a short length

Do any of those reviews actually say how short ? The first one took me around 27 hours. I hope this isn't much shorter

It seems it's around 20 hours, but that may not include side quests and exploring. If you're like me, that'll probably add like 10 hours to your playthrough, haha. It's still a decent length so I wouldn't worry too much.

How is the Xbox One version looking/playing? I prefer the Xbox Elite controller and the platform in general but will get it for PS4 if there are significant performance differences.

Tovarisc

Q: These days I've been replaying Human Revolution with the Director's Cut version, and I've been really surprised with the amount/quality/insight of the Developer Commentary.
What are the chances of Mankind Divided receiving a similar treatment in the future?

A: There are triangles in the game you can scan with the Deus Ex Universe mobile app. Some of them will give you access to developer commentary content!
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comme...deus_ex_mankind_divided_team_our_game/d6o6mdn

So some developer commentary is already in! Neat.

gdt

I couldn't give two shits about the story after whatever the hell happened in HR.

Still excited....just need to start my preload.

Nete

Q: These days I've been replaying Human Revolution with the Director's Cut version, and I've been really surprised with the amount/quality/insight of the Developer Commentary.
What are the chances of Mankind Divided receiving a similar treatment in the future?

A: There are triangles in the game you can scan with the Deus Ex Universe mobile app. Some of them will give you access to developer commentary content!
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comme...deus_ex_mankind_divided_team_our_game/d6o6mdn

So some developer commentary is already in! Neat.

Not a fan of being forced to use a companion app for this, but oh well. If the commentary is anything close to HRs levels, it will be worth. I'm really enjoying them, even if it's taking me an eternity to finish the playthrough :p

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Honestly, as long as the world building is good and the journey itself is as satisfying as HR, then I'll probably be happy.

I don't recall being massively blown away by the main story in HR either, but it's the little things that I remember fondly.

Plus, if decent DLC is coming then at least we have more story to look forward to.

Do we know if the narrative DLC will be as meaty as Witch 3's DLC?

Tovarisc

Do we know if the narrative DLC will be as meaty as Witch 3's DLC?

Highly doubtful. TW3 DLC is quite big exception to industry standard for DLC. I mean B&W is basically standalone game and HoS is size of 2-3 "normal" DLC packs. That said The Missing Link for HR was quite good DLC so if MD gets story DLC it should be decent stuff.

Can't wait for this game, I'm hyped as fuck. It doesn't look like it will reach that consensus GOTY tier that The Witcher 3/Bloodborne were in last year after all, but I have 0 doubts I'll absolutely love it.

Not too fussed about the story, i loved HR and the only thing i remember about the story in that outside of the intro is that
the news reporter is an A.I

My main complaints about HR were awkward cover system and the lack of detail in the environments and they both seem to have been addressed.

At work right now so I can't go check the specific reviews. But some of the quotes in the OP mentioned a short length

Do any of those reviews actually say how short ? The first one took me around 27 hours. I hope this isn't much shorter

20-30 hours for Main Campaign

40+ hours for main+side quests

Breach mode: Even more hours

NG+ mode: even more hours

So Prague is the only location? Or at least the most fleshed out?

I'm worried how reviews seems to only focus on that hub.

Prague is the main hub broken into like 4 mini-hubs that are about the size of Detroit, but vastly more dense. There's also another separate hub called Gaulem(sp?) City. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Hell, polygon right out states instability and issues with the console versions of the game, though this is obviously before the day one patch.

Both you and the poster you quoted misunderstood the reason why the og poster wants to go for the console version. It's in case the game doesn't live upto expectation they have the option to sell it. Not really anything to do with pc performance which is likely to be better than consoles even in the worst case scenario...i think.

20-30 hours for Main Campaign

40+ hours for main+side quests

Breach mode: Even more hours

NG+ mode: even more hours

Prague is the main hub broken into like 4 mini-hubs that are about the size of Detroit, but vastly more dense. There's also another separate hub called Gaulem(sp?) City. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Damn, I was hoping for a more vibrant city. Prague seems monotone in color.

Top Bottom